[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are people so pissed each time someone uses the term "roguelite"?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: maxresdefault.jpg (161 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
161 KB, 1280x720
Why are people so pissed each time someone uses the term "roguelite"? What else are you going to call this subgenre?
>>
>>334467418
An Arcade Game

That's what it is

You don't save, you don't keep stuff on a different run, and you always start from square one

Arcade games have been doing this since most of us were even born

These aren't rogue-likes, these are arcade games. You want a real rogue-like, play Realm of the Mad God. That isn't an arcade game, it's a game with absolute permanent death.

Now stop calling arcade-like games rogue-likes, because they're not like Rogue.
>>
>>334468116
first post is right once again

move along people
>>
>>334468219
Not really, he's talking about rogue-likes while op specifically refers to rogue-lites.
>>
>>334468301
they're both retarded names for games like these.

they're arcade games, simple as that
>>
She only uses one revolver

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>334468301
Rogue-lite is an even worse term

I've never even heard of this, and it's already wrong

It sounds like a game that's extremely like on the rogue-like elements, which makes the name itself even more incorrect

It's still an arcade game, no matter what name you slap on it. That's like saying all FPS games that aren't even close to Doom being called Doom-lites. It doesn't make any fucking sense

Arcade-likes. Let's use this term for Enter the Gungeon. Hell, use it for Nuclear Throne too, but that's exactly what it is too.
>>
>>334468116
>Realm of the Mad God
thats not a roguelike
>>
>>334468601
True, it's not exactly a Rogue-like either. It's nothing like Rogue. It only has Permanent death, but there are ways around it too

You only proved my point further, and I thank you for this.

Rogue-like is a stupid fucking term and a poor way of explaining Permanent death, and even then, people don't know the meaning of Permanent death either.
>>
>>334468116
>>334468509
But arcade games don't have procedural content generation.
>>
File: yes, and.png (23 KB, 175x175) Image search: [Google]
yes, and.png
23 KB, 175x175
>>334468710
>>
>>334467418
Because they are basically the same

1. High difficulty
2. Level randomization
3. You die, you restart

The only thing that really distinguishes them from Roguelike™ is that many recent Roguelike games like The Binding of Isaac or even Enter the Dungeon also have some sort of small persistence. Where you unlock stuff/new Characters/Weapons after some time.

What my little friend >>334468116 here is losing his shit about are games like Rogue Legacy or Darkest Dungeon, which also are very similar in some ways, but kind of require you to "restart -> upgrade gear -> restart" to even advance
>>
>>334468768
You can't call it an arcade game when they're not defined by randomly generated environments.
>>
>>334468786
this

/thread
>>
same reason hardcore shmup fans hate touhou
>>
File: 760.gif (600 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
760.gif
600 KB, 500x250
>>334467418

Why the fuck are you people trying to make this rocket science while it's not?

Enter the Gungeon and Nuclear Throne, to mention the few examples, are Shoot 'em ups. Even Binding of Isaac.
>>
>>334467418
its got more in common with super smash tv
>>
>>334467418
>Why are people so pissed each time someone uses the term "roguelite"?
I don't recall anyone being pissed at roguelite, just at stupid indy fucks using the term Rogue-like for games not at all like Rogue
>>
>>334468219
>>334468116
Credits in arcade games.
Not to mention meta-unlocks in games like Isaac and Gungeon.
Remember when games could be more than one genre?
>>
File: LLgKYhQ.webm (1 MB, 272x289) Image search: [Google]
LLgKYhQ.webm
1 MB, 272x289
>>334467418
No one is pissed about "rogue-lite", people are pissed about the misuse of the term "rogue-like".

A rogue-like is a turn-based randomized RPG with perma-death, etc.

A rogue-lite can be anything that shares some similarities to a rogue-like.
>>
>>334468457
Wrong gun too, since that is certainly not a rusty sidearm.
>>
>>334468116
>>334468219
this smells of self appreciation.
Also of being wrong, on both points.
>>
>>334469043
>Easy mode gameplay + Autism?
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.