[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has a better JRPG ever been released?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 22
File: 250px-Fftbox.jpg (22 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
250px-Fftbox.jpg
22 KB, 250x250
Has a better JRPG ever been released?
>>
File: 1222207183024.jpg (76 KB, 550x460) Image search: [Google]
1222207183024.jpg
76 KB, 550x460
>>334446721

Yes. Both before and after it. Its not even the best game in its series.
>>
File: Tactics_ogre_cover.jpg (71 KB, 256x362) Image search: [Google]
Tactics_ogre_cover.jpg
71 KB, 256x362
>>334446721
>>
>>334446721
I'd say no, but, I'm biased and it's my favorite game of all time.
>>
>>334446929
Worse gameplay, worse plot
>>
>>334447138
M8, TO had far better game play.
>>
>>334447464
I don't see how, I tried playing it, it felt that there was very little variety, say, classes felt almost no different from each other and there wasn't a lot of spells/skills to fiddle with
>>
>>334446721
It's not really a jrpg
Damn good game though
>>
>>334447546
How is it not a JRPG?
>>
>>334447539
It played far more fluidly I feel. Might be biased as fuck cause I played it instead of fft and only played wotl last year but I dunno...
The atmosphere, the characters were awesome and having actual influences on how the game panned out was cool.
Plus so many special characters too.
>>
>>334448149

He's an idiot who thinks 'JRPG' stands for 'Turn based game'.
>>
>>334448208
FFT is turn based
>>
>>334448149
JRPG is a genre of turnbased/ATB character-driven "role" playing game

FFT is a SRPG that happens to be made in Japan
>>
>>334448149
It's a tactics rpg
It's a different genre. Like Advance Wars is a tactics game without the rpg elements.
>>
>>334448270

I know. But not the kind of turn based he's thinking of (Dragon Quest clone).

TRPGs, SRPGs, ARPGs and anything else can be a JRPG.
>>
>>334448335
>>334448381
SRPG is literally a subgenre of JRPG
>>
File: 1114648420847.jpg (137 KB, 383x500) Image search: [Google]
1114648420847.jpg
137 KB, 383x500
>>334448335

>JRPG is a genre
Its a classification of where a game is made.

>JRPG is only limited to turn based/ATB games
Wow, you win the stupidest person on 4chan award.
>>
>>334448571
>>334448480
Then what's a classic jrpg called? Just a jrpg?
That's stupid.
>>
>>334448675
It's stupid to name a genre after a country anyway
>>
>>334446721
jrpg is not a genre

FFT is a Strategy or Tactics RPG.

Please stop sounding like a fucking 15 year old redditor
>>
>>334448675

>Then what's a classic jrpg called?
Whatever it is. You do know that the 'classic' JRPG (aka Dragon Quest) was heavily inspired by Wizardry and Ultima, right? And we didn't start calling Ultima a 'WRPG' until well after Dragon Quest came out and was being called a 'JRPG'.

They're classifications. Not genres.
>>
File: know your genres.jpg (481 KB, 1704x1542) Image search: [Google]
know your genres.jpg
481 KB, 1704x1542
>>334448571
>>334448874
>>
>>334449125

Thank goodness game mechanics aren't used to classify what a WRPG or JRPG are. Otherwise we'd have to start calling something like KOTOR a JRPG.
>>
>>334449538
Several western games have already been called JRPGs, like Child of Light. The gameplay is by far the determining factor of how games should be categorized. What relevance is country of manufacture in a globalized society?

By your logic, FF7 and OOT are both the same type of game despite the fact that they play nothing alike, simply because they vaguely have role-playing elements and were made in the same country.
>>
>>334449651

>Several western games have already been called JRPGs, like Child of Light.
Being 'inspired' by JRPGs doesn't make it a JRPG. Just like Dark Souls isn't a WRPG, despite clearly having a style inspired by them. And once again we return back to Dragon Quest. Which was directly inspired by Ultima and Wizardry, right down to the gameplay. Yet I'm sure you won't classify as a WRPG. Even when Dragon Quest plays more like traditional WRPGs than most WRPGs these days. And even Wizardry is being made by a Japanese company now.

So where does the line between them start? Your personal feelings of what is more western or eastern? A 'feeling'? Yeah, that's why your argument is stupid. Along with how the terms came about in the early 90s when media was using the term JRPG to specifically say 'RPG made in Japan'.

I can't believe how its almost 25 years later and people are still this stupid.
>>
Plenty
>>
Persona 4
/thread
>>
>>334450009
Your entire argument seems to hinge on what DQ or Wizardry should be classified as, when they are both CRPGs as the WRPG and JRPG genre did not exist back then, at least not in its current form. JRPG and WRPG diverged as two flavors of CRPG, both of which are so different that they deserved their own labeling.

The fact that most JRPGs were made in Japan was incidental. Yes, that's where it all started, just like the first sushi was made in Japan too, but does that mean sushi made in California is not Japanese food?

And Dark Souls is neither a WRPG or a JRPG because it is an ARPG. And it is very obviously not a JRPG by your definition because it completely breaks that mold, which is the whole problem with unceremoniously calling everything made in Japan a "JRPG" as a kneejerk response. Why can't you simply append the qualifier "that was made in Japan" if this is such an important designation for you?

Example: Instead of "OOT is a JRPG", why not "OOT is an RPG that was made in Japan." This way everyone who doesn't give a fuck can immediately dismiss the remainder of the statement.
>>
>>334450351

>Your entire argument seems to hinge on what DQ or Wizardry should be classified as, when they are both CRPGs as the WRPG and JRPG genre did not exist back then
And your entire argument hinges on your belief that JRPG is a 'genre'. Which it isn't. But since you are just ignoring the dozens of ways I have explained why it isn't, there's no point wasting more breath on this stupid argument.
>>
>>334450626
>And your entire argument hinges on your belief that JRPG is a 'genre'. Which it isn't.
Can you prove it?

>there's no point wasting more breath on this stupid argument.
Trouble typing on the keyboard? Get more exercise
>>
>>334449125
That image honestly triggered me, next thing you are going to tell me is that souls games are w-rpgs.
>>
>>334450812
No, they are ARPGs
>>
>>334450351

>Dragon Quest is a CRPG because it came out before JRPG was a genre
Dragon Quest is a 30 year old series that is cited as creating the Japanese obsession with RPGs. In other words, it created JRPGs. By claiming Dragon Quest isn't a JRPG but other games that came after it is, you just disproved your own point. Since most series that followed (Final Fantasy, Pokemon, Phantasy Star, Mother, etc) were taking direct inspiration from Dragon Quest. Hence the term Dragon Quest clone.

So Final Fantasy is a JRPG, but Dragon Quest isn't? That's just stupid. You're just proving that a game can be both a CRPG and JRPG. CRPG being the genre and JRPG being a blanket term, created in the SNES era, to describe where the game was made.
>>
>>334446929
RIP
>>
If a game is made in japan and has RPG elements it's a JRPG.

Why does people have to make up random shit? Saying xenoblade chronicles x is a WRPG is like saying if I write a book in a japanese style, then it's a japanese book. W/J just mean a reageon, not a game play style. Make new words don't reuse old ones.
>>
File: FuckingStupid.jpg (49 KB, 740x419) Image search: [Google]
FuckingStupid.jpg
49 KB, 740x419
>>334450752

JRPG is a classification of where a game is made. Not a genre. And you already proved yourself wrong by trying to say Dragon Quest isn't a JRPG because 'the WRPG and JRPG genre did not exist back then'. Its like trying to say Dungeons and Dragons isn't an RPG because 'the term RPG didn't exist back then'.
>>
>>334450879
>So Final Fantasy is a JRPG, but Dragon Quest isn't?
I don't know at this point if you're talking about the first two games or the series as a whole, and this is extremely important.

For instance, FF1 is indeed a CRPG but FFXV is an ARPG, so there is not solidarity within the series. They are not all of the same genre.

This is less the case with DQ as it has kept the same stale gameplay for the last 30 years, but it has evolved a more character driven story telling which is the defining factor. JRPGs, ultimately, are not "RPGs", which is where the need to distinguish the genre comes from. You are playing a character who already has his own thoughts and feelings. It's much more like watching a movie.

To a large extent, this did not start until FF4, which is incidentally when the SNES games start being called JRPGs, so that might explain a few things to you.

Later games, such as Pokemon, didn't come into play until well after this point, and they are using games such as FF4, which was HUGE in Japan (it is the most remade FF game) as their inspiration

You could go so far as to say FF4 started the JRPG genre, but FF1 was still a CRPG, as was DQ1.
>>
http://strawpoll.me/7385084
>>
Seriously anyone that honestly think the "J" in "JPRG" mean anything else but what region the game was made in is really retarded. Why would "Japan" mean a certain kind of game play style over the country the game was made in?
>>
>>334451358
>http://strawpoll.me/7385084
Why not say " A game made in japan with RPG elements, like Dark Souls" so that people really understand what you're implying with this idiotic definition?
>>
File: wrpgvsjrpgtruth.jpg (250 KB, 1308x213) Image search: [Google]
wrpgvsjrpgtruth.jpg
250 KB, 1308x213
>>334451668

Because the guy claiming that is a troll who is just trying to get attention. Which always works in these threads.
>>
>>334451745
Because when you make a poll you try to make it as unbiased as possible?
>>
File: silent bill, the billening.jpg (29 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
silent bill, the billening.jpg
29 KB, 640x480
>>334446721

No. And Matsuno's never going to make another one. Playdek is disgraceful and froze the project because their company is failing and they need to "work on other projects."

Your only hope is for an indie developer who loved the game to release a spiritual sequel.
>>
>>334451861
But people who are voting for that option may not realize that is what they are voting for. People are stupid.

The whole problem is that this definition means Dark Souls is a JRPG.

I am 33 years old.

I grew up with the term "JRPG" like it was my bread and butter.

Dark Souls is utterly not a JRPG. I do not give two fucks where it was made.
>>
>>334448480

I didn't know Jagged Alliance 2 was a JRPG?
>>
>>334451949
>Playdek is disgraceful and froze the project because their company is failing and they need to "work on other projects."
Did they really?
>>
>>334451986
How is dark souls not an RPG video game made in japan?

If you were retarded enough to associate the word japan with a certain kind of gameplay then that sounds like a personal problem.
>>
>>334451986

>I am 33 years old.
>I grew up with the term "JRPG" like it was my bread and butter.
So you didn't play an RPG until you were 16-18 years old? Because that's about the time the term JRPG started being used.

And JRPG denotes where a game is made. Its not a genre. I do not give two fucks what your opinion is because its wrong.
>>
>>334452023

Yes, 100% serious.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/482445197/unsung-story-tale-of-the-guardians/posts/1485100

>Dear Unsung Backers,

>There has been another delay in reporting to you since our last development update, and we apologize for that. Our continued intention is to make a great game, and get Unsung Story to development completion and released to you and the gaming public. During the last few months we have had some development setbacks that are affecting our timeline and progress on the game, while also affecting what we need to do in the immediate future as a company.

>After we posted our latest development progress, we unfortunately lost a few key staff members that were part of Unsung Story development, and that has had an impact on any progress since then, as well as our product focus. We now have one internal team capable of working on a single project, and for the financial strength of the company we need to focus on a few products in the near term that have the ability to get to a retail release before Unsung Story is able to. While this is a difficult choice to make, it is one we need to do for the ongoing financial health of the company. For Unsung Story, we will explore options for outside development help, and will look to see if we are able to bring on an outside team that can assist us in furthering development. While we aren’t assured this will come to fruition, we do want to make sure that we are exploring any options at hand that can make progress on the game.

So basically, they raised $0.66 million dollars in early 2014 name-dropping Matsuno as the writer, spent about 2 years without much progress, and then announced that the project would be frozen until they get their failing company together.

Fucking cunts. If your company is failing, don't do a Kickstarter.
>>
>>334452101
JRPG was a genre, and as far as I'm concerned, it still is. Just look at Steam tags and the type of games JRPG is assigned to.

There are also more than 26 countries on Earth. What are we going to call Jamaican-made RPGs and Jordan-made RPGs? More importantly, *who cares*? The *type* of game is what people are interested in.

Finally, most "Japanese" RPGs aren't even fucking made in Japan anymore. Ever hear about outsourcing? Japanese anime is mostly animated in Korea, and video games are being by and large made in China. The FFIX port was done in Thailand.

What the fuck kind of label do we need to keep up with your asinine traditions?
>>
>>334452326
>And JRPG denotes where a game is made. Its not a genre. I do not give two fucks what your opinion is because its wrong.

This is the first time I've ever seen an opinion be objectively wrong.

>>334452378
>JRPG was a genre,

But it's not. JRPG is just short for Japanese Role Playing Game, or a Role Playing Game made in Japan.
>>
>>334452378
>Ever hear about outsourcing?

Ford and GM are still American companies, staffed by American engineers, who design American cars.

Even if the parts are assembled in Mexico, using American quality assurance.
>>
>>334452378
>What the fuck kind of label do we need to keep up with your asinine traditions?

How about using new labels instead of incorrectly using old ones? Yes JRPG is an outdated term, but you can't assign it an arbitrary meaning just to suite you inability to cope with change.
>>
>>334452516
We don't have retarded nomenclature indicating the country of manufacture of a car. We don't have J-cars and U-cars. We have cars. If the car was *actually* made in Japan, which is something I can easily verify before I buy it, there is this amazing ability I have using the syntactical structure of the English language that I can indicate this without inventing a new word -- or WORSE, crippling an existing one -- by simply adding more words! Like, Japanese-made car, or a car made in Japan.

Can you imagine if some idiot decided we should call Japanese-made cars "Trucks" when truck is already a word that most people are familiar with that means something already?
>>
>>334452378
People don't like the jrpg/wrpg shit because a lot of good games from japan would suddenly be called a wrpg, but the west only makes shit rpgs, so nobody wants that.
>>
>>334452774
>Can you imagine if some idiot decided we should call Japanese-made cars "Trucks" when truck is already a word that most people are familiar with that means something already?

That's exactly what you're doing because the word "RPG" pre-existed the word "JRPG."
>>
>>334452451

>This is the first time I've ever seen an opinion be objectively wrong.
>JRPG is just short for Japanese Role Playing Game, or a Role Playing Game made in Japan.

Then why did you restate my argument exactly? Dumbass.
>>
>>334449125
>Everquest like combat-WRPG
>MMORPG being mutually exclusive from ARPG and SRPG even though there's games that fill both niches.
My brain just melted. You yuros don't understand main and sub categories or something?
>>334448874
The question is perfectly correct you humongous retard
>Has a better Japanese RPG been released?
>>334452378
>Steam tags.
Re read your post for a sec.
>>
>>334446929
/thread

>>334447138
But that's wrong you retard
>>
>>334452857
Ah, but I didn't invent the term JRPG. I'm simply using it in the way I've seen it historically used, and that's indicating a genre. If I had my way, they'd all be Japanese-made CRPG, Japanese-made ARPG, Japanese-made SRPG, Japanese-made MMORPG, and then I'd invent two completely new terms for the genre of games that JRPG and WRPG have become, let's say Jorp and Worp, because they have become distinctly their own type of game that is not only separate from each other, but also separate from ARPG, SRPGs, and MMORPGs, among others.

There would then be Japanese-made Worps and Western-made Jorps, and no one would bat an eye, because everyone knows I'm describing a genre and not a country of origin which is an utterly retarded practice in a globalized, outsourcing society.
>>
>>334452346
the latest update says playable demo in Fall

not that I have any hope for it, just saying
>>
In japan you find both Fallout, Neptunia, Atelier, and Souls games all under "Role Playing Games"
>>
ARPGs mean American RPGs. CRPGs mean Canadian RPGs. TRPGs means Tazmanian RPGs. SRPGs mean Spanish RPGs. WRPGs mean Welsh RPGs. JRPGs mean Jaguar RPGs.
>>
>>334453202
actually you find them on the shovelware section
>>
>>334453160

Originally the term faggot meant a piece of firewood. Just because some faeries started using it to describe themselves doesn't mean the new term trumps the old one.

When it comes to JRPGs, the original term was literally just 'an RPG made in Japan'. Plenty of things JRPGs have done can be found in western RPGs or even games outside of RPGs as a whole. The fact that some idiots started to skew the term doesn't mean the original term went away. Its also stupid because the altered term was based on the extremely limited view of JRPGs we had in the west. Back when the only JRPGs we knew about were Squaresoft games and Pokemon. So the term got skewed to mean 'any game like Final Fantasy'. Which again is stupid since you can start lumping some WRPGs in that group too.
>>
>>334453594
He is just confusing the word jrpg with the kinds of rpg that he played as a child. Final Fantasy and Star Ocean have just as much in common as they do with XCX or Souls games.
>>
>>334453594
>When it comes to JRPGs, the original term was literally just 'an RPG made in Japan'.
I understand this. I really do. Please stop saying this as if I don't understand.

If you call someone a faggot in public, and more than 10 people overhear you, there is a very good chance you're going to upset someone and not just get looks of confusion as if you just called someone a piece of firewood.

Likewise, if you call Dark Souls a JRPG, you absolutely will get people fighting you tooth and nail, which I suspect is the entire point of this thread.

Ultimately there is no governance body for video game acronyms that can set the record straight, so the definition is only what popular usage is, and popular usage seems very divided. In this sense, I think we can both be right, but that also means we're both wrong.

Go fuck yourself with a cactus
>>
>>334446721
How can I force myself to like Tactics RPG's? I want to enjoy this masterpiece but I can't stand the slow battles.

I want a local mom to help me find that weird trick.
>>
>>334453942
Why would someone get upset if you call Dark Souls an RPG from japan?
>>
>>334453942

>Likewise, if you call Dark Souls a JRPG, you absolutely will get people fighting you tooth and nail

Yeah. Idiots like you. And no matter how much you argue with an idiot, they won't learn.
>>
>>334454103
>an RPG from japan
Because that is not what I said.

If you said "Dark Souls is a JRPG and by JRPG I mean RPG made in Japan" then I doubt few would argue

If you left the statement unqualified, then yes, 500 replies in less than an hour
>>
Lets get this clear
A RPG CAN BE:
Action based (no need for explanation)
Pseudo turn based (ATB, Everquerst like, gimmick turn/real time action ((VC))
Turn based (no need for explanation)
That's it. All of them have their sub categories based on specific gimmicks (Tactics/Strategy focused, First/Third person action, First/Third person shooting).
All of these categories sub divides in:
DnD like (true Role Playing, not necessarily dice combat)
Open (Story driven, but with heavy player input).
Linear (Story driven, but with minimal player input, most Japanese rpgs fall into this sub category).

Lets be clear here, West and Japanese only define its origin. It IS true though that most Japanese made RPGs are turn and pseudo turn based, though most doesn't equate to all, since action based JRPGs are common as hell, even moreso than TRPGs these days. It is also true that most JRPGs are linear, but again, open JRPGs are also common. Any WRPG/JRPG can fill these sub categories.

MMO/Co-op/solo just denotes its MP position, they can be any of these categories, though MMO wise, DnD story developments are weird as fuck.

Same with CRPGs, they just denote its console, shit there's less and less stereotypical CRPGs these days
>>
>>334454071

I've never been able to get into Tactics games because they always limit you in some way. And their answer to making the game more difficult is 'randomly spawn 12 new enemy units on turn 15'. Its like trying to play Chess, and then suddenly your opponent gets to randomly play four free queens on any turn he wants.

After a while of struggling to try and like it, I found 4X games. Which are vastly superior.
>>
>>334454165
To be fair his mental disability is probably the same reason why he can't understand why JRPG mean RPG made in Japan.

>>334454232
You need to see a neurologist.
>>
>>334454316
>It IS true though that most Japanese made RPGs are turn and pseudo turn based,

It's not true at all.
>>
File: 1293646792751.jpg (676 KB, 800x1199) Image search: [Google]
1293646792751.jpg
676 KB, 800x1199
>>334454071

Play Fire Emblem. In the options set walk speed to Fast, turn off animations. That's probably the fastest you'll get it.

Alternatively play FFT WOTL on PPSSPP, which has a turbo setting. Just keep in mind that virgin ISOs of WOTL have a slowdown bug where Square Enix didn't optimize the game properly, so every spell cast slows down the game ridiculously... especially summons. A battle that takes 25 minutes in the PS1 version could very easily take 50 minutes in the PSP version unpatched.

There are fan patches out there that rectify the issue (I think FFTHacktics has it, if that comes up on your google search it should be good) but you'd likely need PPF-o-matic to apply the patch to a virgin ISO.

If you already played FFT War of the Lions and it was unpatched (like, legit on a PSP) you've had an unfortunate and unrealistic experience. It's not supposed to be that slow, the animations are fucked up. If that happened to you, you should either figure out how to use PPF-o-matic to patch the fanpatch onto the WOTL version (or find it prepatched on a torrent), or emulate the original FFT on ePSXe or PSXEven or whatever emulator you've got.

Let me know if you're confused, because the situation is as stupid as it sounds. It's amazing Square Enix can code games at all
>>
File: ramza dejected.png (115 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
ramza dejected.png
115 KB, 300x300
>>334454350
>And their answer to making the game more difficult is 'randomly spawn 12 new enemy units on turn 15'.

FFT doesn't do that though. Fire Emblem sure as fuck does though, with the worst offender being Radiant Dawn.
>>
>>334454371
>JRPG mean RPG made in Japan.
That is what it means to you and some other people like you

There are people to whom it means a type of genre, the same people who would say FFT is not a JRPG, the same people who would say Zelda is not a JRPG, and the same people who would say DaS is not a JRPG

Have you ever heard someone say "I dislike JRPG gameplay?" What could this possibly mean when all of the above listed games are so entirely different?
>>
>>334454509
I've never seen or played the PSP port, so my experience is with the original PS1 version. I guess I'll just have to force myself to like it now that I bought it on my PS3, maybe give it a chance despite being so sloooooooooooow.
>>
>>334454598
>That is what it means to you and some other people like you

No, that is just literally what it mean if you know english.
>>
>>334452516
It would be an FTC violation to call a Mexican-made car "American-made" without qualifier. Ford might be an American corporation but we are not talking about the company.
>>
>>334454481
What?
Action RPGS are common as fuck, even moreso than turn/pseudo turn RPGs these days, I said it.
Though there's no arguing that from snes to this era Turn/Pseudo turn are the majority.

Or do you have any chart to counter point my claim?
>>
>>334454724

A toaster PC could probably emulate PS1 or PSP games, so the turbo might be your savior if you use an emulator
>>
>>334454740
>what it mean

Do you know English? Am I speaking with a non-native speak? I think I finally understand

Good day, I'm not arguing semantics with foreigners. You're all idiots as far as I'm concerned
>>
>>334454867
You're ignoring handheld and mobile games, of which turn/atb utterly crush the pitifully small amount of console arpgs.
>>
>>334454598
>Have you ever heard someone say "I dislike JRPG gameplay?"

No, never, but I typically don't talk to retarded people or people that do not know how to express themselves. I have heard people say they hate turn based combat, or random encounters, or menu based combat, but never "I hate jrpg combat".
>>
>>334454598

Some people think the term atheism means 'no religion'. But that's not what the term means, despite millions of people thinking it does.

A term doesn't overtake the original meaning just because a majority of people think it does. If that was the case, than pretty much any latin word would be wrong since the general public doesn't fucking understand latin.
>>
>>334455104
>I typically don't talk to retarded people
You must be new here, guy. This is /v/
>>
File: 1442478533772.png (156 KB, 451x387) Image search: [Google]
1442478533772.png
156 KB, 451x387
>>334455164
Fuck, you got me anon!
>>
>>334454598

>Have you ever heard someone say "I dislike JRPG gameplay?"
In every JRPG vs WRPG thread.

>What could this possibly mean when all of the above listed games are so entirely different?
It means exactly what >>334453594 pointed out. That there's a ton of people who have only played a handful of JRPGs (mostly hyped Square games like Final Fantasy) and then generalize all others as being the same. These people are wrong just as much as you are.
>>
>>334455265
>It means exactly what >>334453594 pointed out. That there's a ton of people who have only played a handful of JRPGs (mostly hyped Square games like Final Fantasy) and then generalize all others as being the same. These people are wrong just as much as you are.

Exactly.
>>
>>334454598
Retards gonna be retards anon, this shouldn't surprise you.
>>334455042
...what are you even talking now?
You agree with my statement
>It IS true though that most Japanese made RPGs are turn and pseudo turn based
Now or what?

Either way, can't say much about mobile since the apps stores are large as fuck, but I know a rather large selection action JRPGs.

On handhelds, japan has a hardon for action games man, if you check 3ds and vitagen you'll see that most of the newcoming games are action based. That's not to say that Turn based jrpgs are uncommon these days though.
>>
What does RPG even mean? In COD I play the role of a guy with a gun, does that mean COD is an RPG?
>>
>>334455151
>A term doesn't overtake the original meaning just because a majority of people think it does. If that was the case, than pretty much any latin word would be wrong since the general public doesn't fucking understand latin.
But this is exactly what happens all the time? You seem to be contradicting yourself. Contradict is an interesting word, isn't it? And yet neither of us are actually speaking

My favorite word is atom. Uncuttable! Haha! I mean, I love it. It speaks to me in a way that shows how fallible our preconceived notions are, but we can take these old flawed words and we can repurpose them so that we don't have to make a new word where one wasn't necessary.

I mean, who cares that FFXIV was a Japanese-funded MMORPG that had major art assets fabricated in China and voice work done in the US? We can call it a MMO because we're not so obsessed with labeling things by country of origin anymore. If MMOs had been invented in the 80s and 90s, on the other hand, we might be stuck with an old relic like JMMO. How stupid would that be.

I actually think JRPG is a fantastic term that can be repurposed because games like FF7 really do not have a great genre to define them. Many people would argue against it being a RPG because it lacks RPG characteristics in storytelling and choice-mechanics, while only having an extremely rudimentary combat-point system.

To me, this is the archetypal JRPG and I would call any other game like it a JRPG such that a new term does not have to be invented to describe the genre. I am just as happy to use a new term too, but I hear no one suggesting one.
>>
>>334455445
>if you check 3ds and vitagen you'll see that most of the newcoming games are action based

Remember to call them western rpg, just like souls.
>>
>>334446721

The storyline in this is light years ahead of virtually every other Final Fantasy
>>
File: teta failed.png (323 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
teta failed.png
323 KB, 500x500
>FFT thread ruined by JRPG faggots

Thanks a lot OP. You should have just said "tactical RPG." But then again, that would just attract salty Disgaea and Fire Emblem people.
>>
>>334455616
Turn Based RPG? That is what I have always called them.
>>
>>334455616
>To me, this is the archetypal JRPG
I grew up with Secret of Mana and Star Ocean. My experience with jprgs doesn't count?
>>
>>334455765
People would argue that FFT and FF7 are.. different types of turn based, that are already so different as to warrant being called different genres.

>>334455872
I grew up with Secret of Mana. I'm not quite sure how you grew up with Star Ocean before the PSX era at any rate, unless you are Japanese, so that is a bit odd. I loved Secret of Mana but I knew it was far more like Zelda and I would have never classified it with CT or FF4 or FF6 despite the fact that they had similar visual styles, themes, and were even made by the same company

Maybe I just cared far more about gameplay than country of origin?
>>
Witcher is PRPG
STALKER and Metro are RRPG
>>
>>334456134
Didn't you say you were leaving? Anyways polls show you are in the minority, and largely so. Words are the meanings they convey, and what people agree on. If you want to use the term incorrectly do it, but all you are going to do is derail another thread with your autism.
>>
>>334456358

SRPG isn't strategy RPG, it stands for simulation RPG (according to Japan)

FFT, Fire Emblem, Shining Force, and so forth aren't strategy RPGs

If you want a word for them it's TRPG, tactical RPG.
>>
>>334456358
>and what people agree on
I already suggested this like 10 posts back and I didn't see anyone agreeing with me then.

Your poll is biased for starters because this is a thread with a picture of FFT and the question does not elaborate on the implications of that particular definition

This is at least the 17th thread I have not derailed because this thread was obviously made to incite me

I'm really going this time
>>
File: 2008-09-18-115757.jpg (159 KB, 706x997) Image search: [Google]
2008-09-18-115757.jpg
159 KB, 706x997
>>334456636
>this thread was obviously made to incite me

Wow that guy really was retarded, I was secretly wishing he was just pretending.
>>
File: ta2-frimelda-a.jpg (65 KB, 326x600) Image search: [Google]
ta2-frimelda-a.jpg
65 KB, 326x600
FFTA2 > FFT
>>
>>334456729
Totally different guy here, are you honestly claiming this thread wasn't bait? Back when FFT came out, I didn't know a single person who referred to it as a JRPG.
>>
>>334446721

The Insane difficulty hack of FFT is one of the greatest fucking things to ever exist.

EXCEPT FOR ARCHERS WHEN THERE'S ANY KIND OF HEIGHT ADVANTAGE HOLY SHIT

ESPECIALLY IF THEY HAVE BREAK SKILLS BECAUSE ARCHERS GET DAMAGE AND ACCURACY -AND- FUCKING RANGE BOOSTS WHEN ATTACKING FROM HIGHER POSITIONS SERIOUSLY THEY'RE SO FUCKING NASTY

Also it balances Orlandu a fair deal, but still kinda has the issue of 'holy shit these special classes are too fucking good to ignore' deal like with Agrias - especially because the effect chance of all Holy Sword skills has increase. Crush Punch fucking murders ARMIES, dat ohko proccing all the goddamn time
>>
File: Original Charater Do not steal.jpg (105 KB, 500x690) Image search: [Google]
Original Charater Do not steal.jpg
105 KB, 500x690
>>334456885
fight me faggot
>>
File: 2008-02-01-87291.jpg (52 KB, 542x644) Image search: [Google]
2008-02-01-87291.jpg
52 KB, 542x644
>>334456938
>The Insane difficulty hack of FFT is one of the greatest fucking things to ever exist.

It's all fun and games until male thieves start NTRing your waifu.
>>
File: Ffta2-mooglemagicgunner.jpg (24 KB, 197x400) Image search: [Google]
Ffta2-mooglemagicgunner.jpg
24 KB, 197x400
>>334456939
Sure, let my Mog Gunner just hit you with a 95% chance to stop and my dual wielding Paladin crit you from behind for 999 damage.
>>
File: 2009-02-01-140887.jpg (458 KB, 1081x960) Image search: [Google]
2009-02-01-140887.jpg
458 KB, 1081x960
>>334457113
Say that to my face and see what will happen.
>>
File: TA2_Hume-Devout.jpg (53 KB, 281x362) Image search: [Google]
TA2_Hume-Devout.jpg
53 KB, 281x362
>>334457272
Face it, FFTA2 is simply better in terms of gameplay.

Main Story is shit, I think we all agree on that. But sweet Jesus, those tons of sidequests.
>>
>>334456938
Agrias is a great unit but she's not the end-all of the uniques in FFT 1.3. She's really, really good at burst damage, but she can't sustain it for an entire fight. Honestly, if you want a good swordskiller? Use Hitoshi. Motherfucker is an unkillable tank who can self-sustain and just keep going and going.

Marche and Onion Knight, on the other hand, can easily fuck the game in the ass without lube if you look at their skillsets and put two and two together. Marche is a Geomancer on crack that can pull major bullshit like hitting someone with Spirit Combo while dual wielding for up to eight attacks, all of which hit hard, or while wielding guns so you fuck spellcasters right up the ass before they can do anything.
>>
>this fucking thread

Demons Souls > Wind Waker > Knight of Lodis
Obviously.
>>
>>334446721
What's the appeal? From what I see there is no exploring. That's important to me for immersion
>>
File: 1458410837173.jpg (37 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1458410837173.jpg
37 KB, 640x480
>>334452516
>American quakity assurance
>>
>>334463832

Yeah let me just get a German car so I can get inaccurate diesel emissions due to lying fucks.

No thanks.
>>
>>334447075
same. Tactics 2 pls
>>
>>334446721
to remake is better.
>>
>>334464012

>mfw I'm working on one in Unity5 but it'll never get off the ground

kill me
>>
>>334446721

>baby's first shitty srpg

practically anything released post 2002 is better than that garbage.

>srpg
>0 balance
>just 1-hit everything before they 1 hit you
>>
File: 10148847173.jpg (549 KB, 877x872) Image search: [Google]
10148847173.jpg
549 KB, 877x872
>>334463832
>>
>>334464701
>just 1-hit everything before they 1 hit you
I bet you're someone who plays boring shield-cover shooters like Halo or Gears of War and not Way of the Samurai on 1-hit kill mode.

Get back to me when you've beaten the latter, until then, I'll consider you a casual.
>>
>>334464852

not my fault this shitty excuse of a "strategy" rpg gives everyone such inflated attack values that you or your enemies end up either getting 1 shot or lose 70% of your hp in one blow, usually from a distance as well.
>>
>>334465092

Maybe you should learn positioning then.
>>
File: 1451205337524.png (545 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1451205337524.png
545 KB, 640x640
>this Japanese role-playing game is not a JRPG
>this western role-playing game is a JRPG
lmao
>>
Is the GBA version the same?
>>
>>334453163
If by "demo" you mean "alpha PvP with 4 classes", then yeah, you're right.
I still can't understand what were people at Playdek thinking when they started this Kickstarter. They wasted 1.5 million and 2 years only to have fucking nothing. The only thing they have is Matsuno's part of the game (game script, content of each episode, game mechanics and classes) and some of Yoshida's art. They didn't even made music at this point, and it means that they still haven't paid Sakimoto to do some music tracks. And God, their engine looks like typical mobile shit, and this game is supposed to be released on PC...
And then you have people like Yacht Club Games who made a game in the same amount of time (2 years) AND with less money:
http://yachtclubgames.com/2014/08/sales-one-month/
Fuck Playdek, just fuck it.
Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.