[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does bad game design get a free pass when it's nostalgia?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5
File: 2364671-world-of-warcraft-logo.jpg (476 KB, 2827x1608) Image search: [Google]
2364671-world-of-warcraft-logo.jpg
476 KB, 2827x1608
Why does bad game design get a free pass when it's nostalgia?
>>
Pic not related? Because vanilla wow is objectively better than present wow
>>
>>334436370
That's not what objective means.
>>
File: 1460579024957.jpg (74 KB, 428x700) Image search: [Google]
1460579024957.jpg
74 KB, 428x700
More importantly, why is retail still getting a pass for bad game design?
>>
File: 1441358790425.gif (3 MB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
1441358790425.gif
3 MB, 300x169
>>334435563
>>
>>334436453
yes it is

Current WoW isnt the Warcraft that vanilla was
It used to be an actual fantasy game, where you would log in and be immersed in the universe.
Now its a daily treadmill grindshit memefest.
>>
>>334436570
>>334436919
>>334436453
>>334436370
world of warcraft was only interesting because people had to do gay grinding all day and you can interfere with this process. some of the gay grinding was even difficult and you had to get huge groups together to conquer grinding tasks.

the gameplay has never been good. it's literally just the novelty of murdering grinding idiots and interacting and getting huge groups together that makes it feel like you're doing this huge operation and a part of something bigger.

all the worthwhile elements were systematically removed to make grinding easier, causing the entire system to grind to a halt.
>>
>>334437405
Someones never opened himself up to having FUN
p.s. nice formatting. It really shows the newfag redditor that you are.
>>
>>334437541
I barely use reddit. I use reddit sometimes to research whats IN! and whats OUT!
I actually enjoyed killing lots of people trying to do their grinding tasks when I played on a level 60 hunter somebody loaned me. You can't deny that the entire game is built around gay grinding, not that's not somewhat amusing but I would never participate in a system like that. I just wish it didn't forever destroy excellent MMOs from existing but there probably was never a chance of that anyways.
>>
>>334437898
nice try faggot
you outed yourself already
no point trying to save yourself now
>>
>>334437898
Now it is based on gay grinding. Before it was an actual world. I mean there.were reasons back then to do stupid fun stuff. Level 20 quests that sent you through level 50 zones. Reasons to stick together and communicate.
>>
>>334438026
how?
I go to reddit like once a month. I actually agree with you about vanilla being better than the expansions. Even if I did go to reddit, it actually has nothing to do with the argument at hand so I don't really understand the whole point of your autistic laser focus on it.
>>
only problem with vanilla servers imo is that once everyone gets max level with chars they like and have done the raids, they'll have no reason to keep playing

even nost was going to release tbc to counter it, which just.. seems to ruin the point of a classic server

i doubt nost was going to be able to sustain the server costs anyway, especially if someone starts to ddos them and they have to pay for more expensive servers to counter it

and as soon as they put ads or donations out, blizz will fuck them in the ass
>>
>nostalgia

there's your answer

also they did do certain things right in vanilla, I think consolidating modern servers into largely populated superservers and taking out lfr/lfg would be the best
>>
>>334436370
>vanilla wow is objectively better than present wow

nice nostalgia vision too bad you're ignoring every single quality of life improvement since vanilla faggot
>>
>>334438645
Everything isn't always about end game.
>>
>>334438645
>they'll have no reason to keep playing
progression servers

>seems to ruin the point of a classic server
not really
>>
Considering how much people complain of lack of content nowadays I'd be real interested to see a figure for how many people would stay around for Vanilla content forever. People complain about 2 years of current content but MC, BWL, AQ 20/40 and Nax forever? Seems like a very short lived prospect. I expect high turnover rate.
>>
>>334438645
man, there is a very easy solution to progression.

You simply increment an expansion in the current server, make it go forward in TBC then launch an other vanilla server. Continue until you dont want to support the shit expansions. Once thes erver with the last expansion has reached a stagnation point, set a reset date, and put all the toons in a clone server that will be stagnent while the new server is set back to the first patch and welcomes to new wave of players.

you will thell me that it will be hard to pay for that many servers but consider the number of people nostalgius had, now put a 5$ sub, or even a 1$ sub. I would gladly pay for that shit.
>>
>>334438645
>and as soon as they put ads or donations out, blizz will fuck them in the ass

After the mass salvage ban in FFXI a bunch of us pooled money and time to make ourselves a private server.

Long story short: got it running, accepted people, no problems. Once we opened up donations/support for servers we got shut down by SE within the month.

And holy fuck we had to turn over damn near everything in the end. Not fun times.

Fuck these companies that produce MMOs. They do not give one iota of a fuck about you (the consumer).
>>
>>334435563
At its core World of Warcarft was a grindy, buggy piece of shit poor excuse of a game.

It was saved by its fluid PVP and its huge, beautiful, and brutally difficult world. Good lord I remember how you could easily die off of mobs your level. Accidentally aggro more than one mob? Dead. An elite mob two levels lower than you? Also dead. Now you two-shot everything.

Vanilla really was the pinnacle.
>>
>>334442321
You would be paying the same $14.99 everyone else did when Vanilla was current. Also you cant sit there and tell me people are going to pay to play the exact same content with a reset every few years. PEople bitch and moan about different content being slow you're loony if you think sustaining people on the exact same recycled content every year is possible.
>>
>>334438645
>seems to ruin the point of a classic server
how though?

you really cant enjoy most of tbc content on live because most of the quests have been pruned down
certain elite quests are toned down so you can solo it

cata might have killed off vanilla but the whole "race to 100" made most of the non-vanilla content unenjoyable
>>
>>334435563
we all suffered the bad game design together. it gave a sense of communtiy.
>>
>>334442601
dude, people whine for patches nowaday because content is cleared 1 day after the patch. Dont fucking tell me that hard mode raid take more time to clear. The people that whine are not the ones who do Hardmodes, they are the one that do LFR chain queues, clear the content one shot, do it every week durring 2-3 months then go on forums and talk shit.

I played on a TBC private server. If it had the community that legit servers had, i would play it as hell. But right now, they cvan't promote themselves, they can't even post videos of their content on youtube, so people cant be aware these servers exist. Imagine if blizzard allowed it. the community would be there.
>>
The way resistances were used was absolutely horrible.
AQ40 had way too much trash.
Eranikus 80-man was insane and extremely gankable.
Zul'Gurub was too easy.
Paladins were pathetic buffbots for a very long time and worst at every spec.
>>
>>334438645
>only problem with vanilla servers imo is that once everyone gets max level with chars they like and have done the raids, they'll have no reason to keep playing

What a dumb argument.

1. All games come to an end
2. Vanilla content lasted 2 years before the first expansion and even then only a small percentage had even seen the really endgame stuff
3. The amount of money for the work involved would probably make even just 2 months of vanilla worth it for the devs
4. Nostalrius lasted over a year and that didn't even have AQ yet.
5. All other Blizzard games have ladders that get reset after a certain amount of time. Then everyone starts again from scratch. There's no reason to think the same wouldn't work for WoW, if it even came to that, which it probably wouldn't.
6. This doesn't seem to worry Blizzard when they have 14 months of no content after WoD and 12 months of no content after MoP.
>>
>>334443017
And you dont think people who have played the content 100x wont clear the content just as fast or faster? The only challenging Vanilla raid was AQ 40 and Naxx but nowadays people would clear them in a week since information and knowledge of those encounters are everywhere. TBC was only elongated because of attunment. Kara and Gruul were piss easy, TK and SSC less so but again they were arguably easier than aq40 and naxx. BT also was easy compared to all the previous shit. Hyjal was somewhat challenging then there was another cockblock in sunwell but nowadays would be nothing.

It would just be like on live, content cleared super quick except now you're stuck with that content forever. The only difference is this mythical community all you people claim to have been so much different than today. Grossly exaggerated here.
>>
>>334435563
Vanilla WoW was the best version of the game.
>>
>>334443608
>It would just be like on live, content cleared super quick except now you're stuck with that content forever.

Except getting to max level doesn't take 2 days like it does in retail. And why would you be stuck with that content forever? Why wouldn't you just move to a BC server, or a legion sever? You really haven't thought this through.
>>
>>334443327
>2 years
>small percentage saw end game

It's not blizzard's fault if the players are too stupid to figure out how to get to end game. XI was infinitely harder all around and players made it to end game.

>blizzard games have ladders that reset

Those other blizzard games aren't MMOs you idiot.
>>
>>334444382
>It's not blizzard's fault if the players are too stupid to figure out how to get to end game. XI was infinitely harder all around and players made it to end game.

I don't think you understand the point here, retard.

>Those other blizzard games aren't MMOs you idiot.

pffft who gives a fuck? What difference does that make? You're fucking dumb.
>>
>>334444536
>pffft

You need to be way, way more subtle.
>>
>>334444593

You need to actually use your brain and make real arguments instead of memeing.
>>
>>334444660
Stop posting.
>>
>>334444735

nice argument drone
>>
>>334444787
>hurr retard
>pfft
>who cares
>ur dumb

Nice argument retard. Stop posting.
>>
How miserable are you? People like a game that you don't like. Move on with your life.
>>
>>334444828

nice argument drone
>>
>>334444879
Point out the argument in your half-assed shitpost. When you finally realize that there isn't one there do everyone a favor and stop posting.
>>
>>334444850
>posting on a 13 year old anime imageboard
it's getting pathetic dude, grow up
>>
>>334445051
>shitpost

You don't know what that is apparently

I asked you a question. You couldn't answer it. You just memed. Nice argument drone.
>>
>>334445276
See? There's no argument there. Stop posting.
>>
>>334435563
Nostalrius literally proved it wasn't just nostalgia.

It was literally a better game.
>>
>>334445340

Answer the question drone.
>>
File: 1431777013222.jpg (63 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1431777013222.jpg
63 KB, 700x700
>>334436370
FUCKING DELETE THIS

RIGHT NOW
>>
>>334445575
If you don't understand the difference between MMOs and other genres you clearly don't get to have an opinion on the matter. Stop posting.
>>
>>334445673

You can't answer the question then, can you drone? Nice argument.
>>
>>334445719
Stop.
>>
>>334440654
if quality of life improvements = objectively better, than why haven't they made an MMO where after you log in you get max level, max gear, in a full raid group on the last part of the last raid. All that quality of life improvements! (btw retail is ironically not even far from that)

Or are you referring to the Pay2Win quality of life improvements? Like buying a full set of full upgraded heirlooms for 20 bucks? Or a max level character for 50 bucks and then BiS pre-mythic gear for roughly 40? Oh yeah, I guess you got a point. LOTS of sick quality of life improvements! DON'T FORGET THE SELFIES!
>>
>>334445759

>>
>be in legion beta
>be super hopeful
>make fun of nostalgia cunts
>get to class halls
>first quests are facebook integration and garrisonshit

>mfw we have to go back
>>
>>334445874
Stop posting newfag.
>>
>>334445935

>>
File: joeystoner2.jpg (55 KB, 500x377) Image search: [Google]
joeystoner2.jpg
55 KB, 500x377
>>334445902
>be super hopeful

What about Neo-Blizzard makes you super hopeful of anything?
>>
>>334445902
How on earth did some "people" expect Legion to be any different from WoD?

The people currently working on wow clearly have no fucking idea how to make a good game. Maybe they sould try out vanilla or BC to comprehend why players were addicted to them in the first place.
>>
>>334437898
name a video game that doesn't have grinding in it. in call of duty you have to grind killing people. in bioshock infinite you have to grind tasks and puzzles. in CS:GO you have to grind headshots. in DoTA 2 you have to grind the same fucking objective on the same fucking map eternally. every fucking game in the world is a grind, it's how you look at the grind that makes games fun.

in vanilla you explored a giant fucking world, immersed yourself in the music, scenery, story with your best pals. you ran around doing stupid shit for hours having a blast. you pvp'd against the opposite faction, battling for quest objectives, profession nodes and other shit. but yes, it was still a "grind" of doing those things over and over.
>>
>>334442142
Nost was going to release their TBC servers after a month of the first clear of Naxx in which you could stay on the vanilla server or transfer your character data and move on to TBC.
>>
>>334446071
i got tricked, some people get tricked, doesn't matter I got it refunded without a problem anyway. guess I'll just buy BDO
>>
>>334445609
how much of a braindead drone do you have to be to actually enjoy WoD

like are you retards actually mentally ill or what? is this the biggest case of Stockholm syndrome in the history of mankind or something? seriously just open your fucking eyes man
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.