[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can you really tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1
File: KBG1LPUR.png (351 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
KBG1LPUR.png
351 KB, 500x500
Curious because i've never played on PC
>>
>>334422421
Yes.
>>
only the eye impaired can't
>>
>>334422421
I can tell the difference between 30, 60, and 120.
>>
>>334422421
pick up mgsV, that game runs pretty consistently in 60fps on ps4 and looks pretty nice too. It's a nice addition if developers can do it but 30 fps is honestly just fine. Its usually sub 25 or spikes/drops that look unprofessional. For example: fallout 4.
>>
I don't think that 60FPS is absolutely essential for a game to be playable like some retards, but people who say they can't tell the difference must just almost never play or watch anything in 60FPS.
Or, yeah, have an eye impairment. The difference is like night and day.
>>
>>334423447
Is there a noticeable difference from 60 to 120
>>
you totally can
>https://youtu.be/NE9nONBpdc0?t=1m7s
i play this with around 40-50 fps on my pc which i think is playable.
>>
>>334423551
Yes.
>>
Yes, easily.

30 is totally fine, but 60 is way smoother. It's only going to be painful if you're switching back and forth though.
>>
>>334423551
Yes, ridiculous responsiveness, as in lightning fast.
>>
Yes!
>>
>>334423574
lol my PC is so shit it can't even show a 60fps video smoothly on 720p
>>
i ask this already in other thread but i whant diferent people to tell me to kill myself their opinion

so i got the game but my toaster move it in 10-15fps

should i just ask for a refund or i should w8 for idn a miracle that may help my toaster move it at lest in 20pfs?
>>
In a souls game, where timing is critical to success, you need every frame you can get. It's the difference between life and death.
>>
>>334423868

Refund it.

Software is not going to make your computer suddenly not run games like shit anymore. There are times when games have specific issues with specific hardware sometimes, and driver updates etc can fix it, but if your computer is bad, it's just going to run things badly.
>>
There is a difference but unless you are playing a very fast paced game or something with frame perfect input it doesn't really matter.

I'd even say that sometimes 30 fps looks better because some animations tend to look uncanny in 60 fps. And you also get better visuals with 30.

I play on both PC and consoles and while I'm enjoying Gravity Rush at 60fps I played Witcher 3 on PC locked at 30 and I don't feel like anything was missing. If anything unlocked framerate made it look "fake".
>>
>>334423868
Buy a new graphics card.
>>
Only if you compare them to each other. If you play a game for longer than an hour you usually adapt to it.
>>
>>334424445
its a laptop
>>
Of course, hell you can tell the difference between 30 and 40
But the game is perfectly playable at 30
>>
>>334424056

>Implying the timing windows in Souls games are that small

Lol no. This isn't a fighting game, there are no 1-frame inputs. Souls games are nowhere near that strict or hard.
>>
http://www.testufo.com/#test=framerates
>>
absolutely
>>
>>334424056
Souls games are slow as fuck. Everything is so telegraphed and every action takes forever to execute. There is barely any space for skill. These games play fine with 30fps, even with occasional framedrops.

I always saw Souls combat as real time turn based. We're so fucking far from quick reflex based games like Ninja Gaiden where smooth framerate actually does matter.
>>
>>334424618
The Souls/Bloodborne engines have an inherent input delay on the dodge action. The lower the framerate, the more apparent this is. It was especially egregious in Bloodborne due to it hardly maintaining 25fps, but luckily it's barely noticeable in PC DaS1/3.
>>
30fps is fine. What I DO hate is fluctuations. If the game runs around wildly between 30FPS and 60 that's actually way more annoying.

Consistency>High Average Rate
>>
>>334425235
yeah id love is DS3 was 30fps consistently. it just plummets for no god damn reason
>>
>>334424856
Yeah. Souls games are so fucking fast you need 144fps to play them at comfortable framerate. You need frame perfect button combinations for crazy combos, dash cancelling and nano seconds dodging.

Stop with your shitty memes, the delay in dodging is an inherent part of the Souls gameplay and 60fps doesn't change that. There is no fucking difference other than the animations looking smoother.
>>
Yeah, side by side its very noticeable, but somewhat stable 30fps is completely fine too
>>
>>334425662
>but somewhat stable 30fps is completely fine too
Depends entirely on the game.

Any sort of high action or competitive game running at less than a rock solid 60fps is pure fucking garbage, same goes for racing games or anything requiring quick reflexes.

But for something like a turn based strategy is running sub-20 FPS it'd still be perfectly playable even if the interface would feel sluggish.
>>
You can, but you're an autist if you let it bother you.
>>
>>334426758
strawman out of nowhere
>>
>>334425519
>Yeah. Souls games are so fucking fast you need 144fps to play them at comfortable framerate. You need frame perfect button combinations for crazy combos, dash cancelling and nano seconds dodging.
Mate I don't know where you're getting that from, I'm just explaining one issue with running a game on this engine at a low framerate.
>the delay in dodging is an inherent part of the Souls gameplay and 60fps doesn't change that.
Easy way to test this: Launch the original Dark Souls and toggle DSFix while rolling around. You will be able to notice a slight difference in the responsiveness of the action. This isn't as transparent as it was in Bloodborne, which was muddled with even more engine-related issues causing the delay to extend even further. This is purely because the action is in a way tied to frame timing.
>>
>>334426962
Do you even know what a strawman is or are you just pretending to be retarded?
>>
No because 9 times out of 10 you're not going to have the same game running, one at 30fps and one at 60fps, and directly comparing gameplay between both monitors. You're going to be playing the game.

MGSV and R&C play excellently although one runs at 60fps and the other at 30fps. They're both completely enjoyable experiences, not so much MGSV because it was a unfinished mess of a game that should've stuck to its linear hub world roots just like ratchet and clank which would've allowed for tight, unique and interesting level design.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.