[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is disc 2 really that bad?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: Xenogears_box.jpg (86 KB, 256x240) Image search: [Google]
Xenogears_box.jpg
86 KB, 256x240
Is disc 2 really that bad?
>>
It might actually be better than Disc 1. Since things start happening at a reasonable pace instead everything being dragged out for as long as humanly possible between complete filler sections like the prison
>>
>>334385282
Prison, orphanage, and tournament sections might seem like filler but they were really interesting world building. I'd much rather have that sort of "filler" than the simple A to B of many of today's RPGs.
>>
>>334385145
The whole game is bad...

paly xenosaga
>>
>>334385558
So much this. I miss how games used to build worlds instead of trying to be movies.
>>
I recently played this on PCSXR in widescreen w/ the text speed cheat. Took roughly 40 hours to get through disc 1 and I was enjoying the game for the most part. 4 hours into disc 2 I said fuck it and stopped.

Those four hours mostly consisted of text describing the events of non-interactive, non-animated pictures in the background, with the occasional cut-scene leading into a short boss fight, leading into more text, etc.

There's also the boss fight that has a common crash bug.

Disc 2 had a very bad first impression for me, and I haven't went back to it, yet.
>>
>>334385145

Yes. It's still playable but you can tell it was rushed as hell.

I still enjoyed Xenogears, even disc 2, because I was so invested at that point but I'd have love to have seen what they could have done if they actually finished disc 2.

Like >>334387027 said it basically just gives you text scenes that shuttle you from event to event until it's over as soon as you go to disc 2.
>>
File: 1460671771387.jpg (36 KB, 567x481) Image search: [Google]
1460671771387.jpg
36 KB, 567x481
>>334385145
It wasn't great, but the way it presented itself, with the scrolling text and sort of pseudo-bibical, ominous music had a weird feeling boding sense to it. Reading about the population of the world being excruciatingly transformed into wels with the sound of a church organ in the background gave me goosebumps.
>>
>>334387602
>weird forboding
Predictive text is awful
>>
>>334385145
disc 2 is basically a dating sim with a few turn based battles
>>
>>334385145
I remember there being one or two solid dungeons. It picked up a bit toward the end.
>>
Disc 2's budget cuts turned it into a visual novel with a few dungeons. There's a lot of scenes you would see being dungeons, so it fills you with disappointment seeing what happened.

It's still enjoyable, but not as much as the first disc. Just finish it instead of half-assing it like most people.
>>
If you enjoy the game's story it is still a good time. It is absolutely a letdown to be unable to explore anymore, but it isn't like the game had a great story/gameplay ratio to begin with.
>>
>>334385145
Let's just say that if you can't stand to read a visual novel for more than an hour, you might not be able to handle disc 2
>>
>>334388135
>It is absolutely a letdown to be unable to explore anymore

They are still a few areas to explore not including the last dungeon.
>>
>>334387756
Sounds like Sakura Wars
>>
>>334388243
Yeah but it feels like you get to explore 1 area for every 5 that were intended to be there, and once you're done you're immediately shuttled back to the cutscenes. Even most of the final dungeon feels like it was supposed to be another dungeon that had to be repurposed last minute.
>>
I'd suggest a remake of this game but there are many problems that would arise with that. Mainly with gory scenes and nudity having to be dialed back because video game standards have changed in Japan.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.