[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this game so fucking perfect?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4
File: Thiscantbehappening.png (662 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Thiscantbehappening.png
662 KB, 1920x1080
Why is this game so fucking perfect?
>>
>>334340406
It isn't, the nostalgia is just really strong. There's no story and the gameplay is hopelessly shallow, it's easy even on the hardest route and too short. Also all the voice actors in the game are terrible, especially the entirety of Star Fox's team.
>>
>>334340718
What's your high score?
>>
>>334340718
There is more story than you realize, in the events and alternate events that can occur, as well as the characters' interactions. The gameplay is fairly shallow, however, the meat of this game is in execution and maximizing score. It is also supposed to be short, because this formula does better with replayability. The VA's are cheesy but it fits the plot and universe well, considering that later decent voice acting was dismissed as forgettable.

If you don't like the game, yourself, you can just say so.
>>
>>334340718

There is literally nothing wrong with short, sweet, and simple.

I can understand if you didn't like the VA though.
>>
>>334340718
>it's easy even on the hardest route
Explain to me why that's bad when it's still compelling to pick up and play?
>>
>>334340718
>the gameplay is hopelessly shallow,
There I've edited your complaints to things that matter. Now elaborate on this specific point or you'll be disregarded as a try hard contrarian.
>>
>>334340406
This is the most solid game in the N64 in my opinion. Its so simple but has a lot of character.
>>
>>334341585
It's definitely the most well aged of the Miyamoto three.
>>
It's not all that impressive in any one area, but everything it does is reasonably well-executed and reliable. The little shred of story it has is well-explained and easily understood through in-game dialogue, and not the obtrusive cutscene kind.

The game has near-perfect pacing, progressing exactly as fast as the player does, despite being fully scripted. This is because each route is chosen based on the player's mission success and failure, naturally easing up on the difficulty or throttling it forward when appropriate. WHY MOST GAMES STILL DON'T DO THIS I HAVE NO IDEA.

It's true that most of the game is easy because most enemies give you free shots at them. The game overall is relatively simple as well. Laser, charge shot, lock-on, smart bombs. Dodge solid objects, barrel roll through enemy lasers. That said, Medaling Sector Z on Expert after going through Zoness IS YOUR NIGHTMARE, FUCK ALL YOUR WINGMATES FOREVER KILL STEALING PIECES OF SHIT. Game length isn't an issue, considering it was designed to be replayed like a bazillion times.

The voice acting is a good kind of cheesy, but it is mostly nostalgia. Even knowing they were the same voices, hearing them redone bothered me a lot. Nonetheless, the voices had life to them and avoided being cartoony, which is more than you can say for the voices in most games.

Overall, there are no outstanding glitches. A few spots that you can charge shot for free points, but that's about it. Nothing like falling through the floor or models breaking like in modern games. Not too many easter eggs either, though. All I know is the end of the corridor on Venom I. And it's still very visually appealing to this day, especially considering everything else that came out that gen.
>>
>>334343224
>It's true that most of the game is easy because most enemies give you free shots at them. The game overall is relatively simple as well. Laser, charge shot, lock-on, smart bombs. Dodge solid objects, barrel roll through enemy lasers.

What's your high score?

Why do people who probably have shitty high scores keep calling this game easy?
>>
>>334343814
Well I don't die unless I'm being a complete asshat. I can usually get around 1300 on a no-reset run, 1400 otherwise.
>>
>>334343814
Being autistic about scores doesn't stop the game from being shallow as fuck dumbass.
>>
>>334343986
>1300
>1400
my sides.

>Being autistic about scores doesn't stop the game from being shallow as fuck dumbass.
It's a shoot em up, they're all shallow, and the only thing that matters is score.
>>
>>334344085
What's your high score, then?
>>
>>334344085
There's nothing to discuss then, the game is easy as fuck as you said and high scores don't matter to the conversation.
>>
How come I can quote every single line from this game with perfect pronunciation yet can't remember one sentence from the book I just read?
>>
>>334343224
>medaling sector z on expert
>nightmare

My personal hatred is Katina

DRUNK FUCKING PILOTS KEEP FUCKING MY WINGS
>>
>>334344218
Because you're 12 and never read a good book in your life.
>>
>>334344218
You're probably retarded.
>>
>>334344176
My point is that it's not easy to get a good score, which is literally the only measure of difficulty that matters in a shmup.
>>
>>334341394
>explain to me why it's bad that I'm a casual and eat shit everyday?
You answered your own question
>>
>>334344228
Well that's a given. You're expected to go at least half your run without your wings because of things running into you. That doesn't stop Slippy or Katt taking out one of your missiles.
>>
>>334344258
Second part's true, but don't let Aldous Huxley hear that.
>>
>>334344375
OH that's why you mentioned Zoness

I don't know I didn't remember having much trouble with Sector Z

But I also haven't tried in awhile

I've been going through score attack on expert lately though... so I'm sure I'll get there and probably hate it

>I love the little extra FUCK YOU you have to get to get actual gold on score attack
>>
>>334340718
When the first thing you criticize about a corridor shooter is the story, your opinion is invalid.

Fucking kids these days.
>>
>>334344345
When you set the bar arbitrarily high, anything is hard. Think baseball is easy? Try hitting a 95MPH fastball. Listening to music? Not hard unless the volume's turned down to 1. Lifting 10 pounds of weight? Try doing it 45,000 times without resting.

But Star Fox 64 is not inherently hard. Surviving isn't hard, saving your wingmates isn't hard, defeating the bosses isn't hard. Even the bar that the game itself sets with medals isn't all that difficult. Competing with all-time world records? Yeah, I'll never reach those levels, but you'll never break the all-time sleep record either.
>>
>>334343224
>WHY MOST GAMES STILL DON'T DO THIS I HAVE NO IDEA.
because 60% of players won't ever end up playing those alternate levels. The avreage player will go the average route and be done with the game. I've played star fox a lot and can't say I've seen every single planet. Not that I found the game hard but I just didn't know what things triggered what route.

I remember going back and playing that sun level and that underwater one. These all have a lot of assets that could only be used for that particular level. This is cool when you're nintendo, but smaller teams wouldn't put so much time working on something most players won't ever experience.
>>
File: 1287762769067.jpg (10 KB, 240x250) Image search: [Google]
1287762769067.jpg
10 KB, 240x250
>>334345512
>I've played star fox a lot and can't say I've seen every single planet.
>>
>>334344902
When the skill ceiling is arbitrarily high, it doesn't matter so much if the barrier to entry is low, because you are rewarded for bettering yourself, even if it's just the satisfaction of a baseball game well played or a new high score in Star Fox.
>>
File: 1450811412175.gif (318 KB, 192x256) Image search: [Google]
1450811412175.gif
318 KB, 192x256
>>334340406
There's no reason, it just is.

>>334340718
(You)

Can't believe people like this actually exists...
>>
>>334346156
Well like I said, anything is hard in that case. You can't really use that argument that way.
>>
>>334346239
It's a valid statement, games as a medium demand a good story and no game can be perfect without it, Star Fox 64 was never perfect to begin with and the shit story is just another mark on it.
>>
>>334346534
No they don't; you're a Playstation kid thinking the way you like games is the correct, that's all.
>>
>>334346534
>games as a medium demand a good story

Tetris. There, a game that doesn't even have a story mode that is still considered one of the purest examples of games as games.
>>
>>334346935
Rally X, there's another.
>>
>>334346469
No, the skill ceiling is why games like Mario or Kirby appeal to all levels of gaming experience. Even though it may be piss easy to get to the end and see the credits roll, the platforming physics, level design, enemy design, etc. give experienced players room to improve their skills and beat the game with acrobatic alternate routes or in no-hit runs with only the basic moveset.

How easy it is to beat the game has limited bearing on this.
>>
>>334345512
>instruction manual literally tells you how to get the other routes
>>
>>334341481
>The Star Fox team does not matter in Star Fox
Not even him and I can tell you that you're a retard.
>>
>>334347275
I'd rent it all the time and didn't have this luxury
>>
File: 1459794113356.jpg (20 KB, 310x156) Image search: [Google]
1459794113356.jpg
20 KB, 310x156
>>334343224
>WHY MOST GAMES STILL DON'T DO THIS I HAVE NO IDEA.
Because what tends to happen is that everyone goes for the route that contains that will stretch out the game more. When people are faced with the dilemma of "Play Corneria for 5 minutes and get to one level or play it for 10 minutes and go to another level" then people are gonna go for the ten minutes because otherwise you are missing out on 5 minutes of content.

There's little to no incentive to go for what is basically the inferior route.
>>
>>334346534
>games as a medium demand a good story and no game can be perfect without it
If you're not baiting, I implore you to reexamine this assumption of yours because it's very closed-minded.
>>
>>334340718
One of the only games I'd say doesn't require nostalgia, and people gotta troll about it
>>
It isn't. The original game is a much more concise and focused experience and doesn't have the shitty voice acting that ended up being memes that SF64 does.
>>
>>334347590
But lots of people have the opposite mindset, trying to race through a game as quickly as possible, especially if you're a kid playing a game like this.

When I was young I always took the warp pipes in SMB and other such secrets to get as far into the game as quickly as possible. I never saw some levels until I replayed the games when I was older.
>>
>>334340406
>102 points
Git fucking gud
>>
>>334340406
This one was sort of fun, but you ever been on a rollercoaster and then you start to feel queasy? WELL it kind of feels like that. NOT the greatest feeling in the world. Sure, I did all the stuff like shot the other members of the star fox team down and stuff. ROB and the great fox actually chased me down. ALSO, it's basically impossible to have sex in the arwing. that SHIT is cramped. So while I got to shoot down kat and jack off to the thought, no, i was never even able to get close to her arwing, let alone fuck her. it was CRAZY. after a few days i was a damn good pilot and kat begged for her life over communications before i killed her. you ever have someone beg for their life right before your very eyes? shit's exhillerating. anyway, the communications were on even after her arwing was going down (she was already dead at this point) and all i could see was this lifeless expression in her eyes before her arwing hit the ground. it was kind of chilling but I didn't care, i was actually cumming from JO at that point
>>
>>334340406
Nostalgia goggles mostly
>>
>>334349563
wat
>>
don't die on me
>>
>>334354567
the dream is dead
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.