[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
discuss.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 13
File: 1863xk84tlu9yjpg.jpg (21 KB, 636x358) Image search: [Google]
1863xk84tlu9yjpg.jpg
21 KB, 636x358
discuss.
>>
should i play this game on my 1080p LCD screen or my 1080p LCD screen

hmmmmmmmm
>>
>>334320752
tv is too big for my desk
>>
TVs fucking suck. If it wasn't so hideously expensive to get a monitor that size there wouldn't even be a debate.
>>
>>334320752
tvs have lower framerates, more input lag, and more blur.

only a dumb casual would use a TV
>>
Monitor for the low latency
>>
couldn't pay me to go back to a 20~ inch monitor after using 40-50in tvs for a few years. feelsgoodman.
>>
>>334320884
Same
>>
>>334320752
the only benefit that a tv would have is better speakers
everything else is shitter than a monitor
>>
>>334320752
I got a TV for christmas a few years back, so TV.
A monitor would be nice but I'd have to spend money on that.
>>
>>334320752
TVs can go from shit-tier to as good as and even better than some monitors. The tricky part is to make the pixel alignment perfect (4:4:4 full rgb) by disabling some options in the TV menus and even modify your screen drivers. This and doing very specific research about which model to buy.
>>
File: adjustablebed1.jpg (46 KB, 392x274) Image search: [Google]
adjustablebed1.jpg
46 KB, 392x274
>>334320984
>caring about any of that while laying down in the comfort of your bed (pic related) while looking at a 60" screen 10-15ft away
>sitting at a desk for extended periods of time playing videogames with a device used for typing

PC elitists are like snobby critics, no one likes them.
>>
>cant get a 144hz TV
>>
>>334322209
> a monitor can only be used at a desk
> a monitor can only be used with a PC
> unironically bragging about using a 60 inch display that's over 10 feet away
>>
File: 1457981426825.webm (491 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1457981426825.webm
491 KB, 300x300
>>334320840
>2016
>Being a poorfag with LCD and not LED yet
>>
>>334322649
>implying the majority aren't, and even if you mount it you won't still be sitting close to it
>small as fuck and expensive for less than 30 inches
>having a tiny room (mine is about 7-8 away from my bed, I overestimated)
>>
Monitor - PC
Consoles - TV

who the fuck will use a console with a Monitor.
>>
>>334323174
I tried to use my 360 with my monitor.
It looks nicely, but I don't have a home theater so I was soundless.
I am gonna get one and a digital sound cable.
>>
>>334320752
1080p 144hz 24" monitor for games, 42" 1080p tv for everything else. Works for me.
>>
>>334320752
but a TV is just a monitor set up for multimedia
Monitors are just higher picture quality.
That's why computers look weird as fuck through TVs

also if you try to turn this into a Console vs PC war then you're a retard who needs to be executed.
>>
>>334321168
this
i would have to drop a fortune on a big ass monitor to switch back from my tv.
>>
>>334323147
LED screens are LCD with led backlight which is even worse because most use pwm and can cause eye fatigue. But yeah LED backlight with DC dimming is better than CCFL backlight because it last longer.
>>
>>334321168
Same here. I hate sitting in a computer chair hunched over, it fucks up the whole experience.
>>
>>334323147
>LCD or LED
>not an IPS

>>334323174
I use a console with a monitor. I'd only recommend it if you care about FPS games or graphics otherwise you could just play on a TV.
>>
>>334325159
i do both. tv is on a pretty big stand, got a desk with wheels next to it my wired kb/m/controller sit on and a comfy chair. then a wireless kb/m for laying on the bed or w/e. i just move shit around as i need, its great.
>>
monitors
whenever i play consoles on a tv it always feels like i am looking through the game itself and cant focus on anything because it looks like shit, too far away, or both
25in IPS LED monitor all the way
>>
>>334325240
You mean lag
A standard monitor has 5ms lag, a good one has 1ms
A fucking tv has 50+ ms lag
>>
viewing distance and resolution

so it depends

24"+ screen high res high refresh rate for desk
large 1080p or higher tv for couch or bed
>>
kill yourself if you game on a tv that isn't plasma
>>
>>334320752
Monitor primarily, but honest answer is both. A big ass TV with a nice big ass speaker setup is still the best for having a bunch of bros over playing Xrd or whatever. Same-screen competition or coop is niche now but it still exists and is still a shitload of fun. For that matter a lot of old ones are still a lot of fun. I've actually considered dumping the big TV and buying 2-4 smaller ones instead and arranging them together to make a multiplayer setup for modern games mimicking the feel of old, because it's a real different and fun experience to have everyone in the same room seeing the same stuff from different perspective and having a blast.

Obviously for pure image quality a monitor is best, though I'm waiting for a bunch of currently bleeding edge tech to come together into one good package before upgrading (I want 5k, 90Hz+, and at least true native 10-bit color). If I had to choose just one that'd be it. But I shouldn't and don't need to choose one, small HDTVs are dirt fucking cheap at this point even new let alone used.
>>
Not holding on to your plasma tvs with 600Hz refresh rate? Why even own a newer tv?
>>
Not to say there's anything wrong with TVs because I totally get the appeal. But am I the only one who finds sitting at a computer in front of a monitor with headphones by myself playing vidya a really enjoyable and intimate experience?

After days of work and school I just want to lock myself away from everyone and be alone hunched over a computer
>>
52 inch tv for cinematic games, monitor for fast paced games
>>
>>334325476
This I can't focus on games with a TV. It's like trying to watch a movie with a fever
>>
TV for singleplayer and monitor for multiplayer
>>
File: FF CC.jpg (304 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
FF CC.jpg
304 KB, 640x480
>>334325832
>But am I the only one who finds sitting at a computer in front of a monitor with headphones by myself playing vidya a really enjoyable and intimate experience?
You serious? You're on /v/, what do you fucking think, of course a lot of us like that. But the TV experience can be great too if you've got a few friends who come over for gaming from time to time.

Recently one of us found his old gamecube and we managed to scrounge up 4 working GBAs and a copy of Crystal Chronicles and try that shit out, actually pretty damn fun to experience after all this time. I can see why it never caught on at the time, too high a barrier, but I do kind of miss when devs tried shit like that.
>>
File: 1445906589100.png (272 KB, 518x411) Image search: [Google]
1445906589100.png
272 KB, 518x411
http://www.newegg .ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236112

its pretty good m8
>>
>>334325512
Well that's what I was referring to when I said if you care about FPS games since that's the genre that lag impacts the most.
>>
i use a projector
>>
>>334326083
>if you've got a few friends
check yourself
>>
>>334325512
>A fucking tv has 50+ ms lag
nice try kid. 20ms input lag when you have a tv that removes processing effects (and most do these days)
>>
>>334323147
retard. there's no such thing as an 'LED' display
>>
All depdends on what you value in a game. You can either have extremely high graphics, or more screen and more comfortable sesting.
>>
>>334325765
Im glad to see a fellow plasma user, the black levels are great and they have such a range of color.

>mfw my plasma has adaptive 3d so anything can be 3d
>>
File: 1458303450068.png (2 MB, 1000x967) Image search: [Google]
1458303450068.png
2 MB, 1000x967
>>334325707
>(I want 5k, 90Hz+, and at least true native 10-bit color)
Not in the next 15 years, seriously.
>>
>>334326302
Kill yourself.
I hope you are fishing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_LED
>inb4 wikipedia is shit
So is your life.
>>
My PC was hooked up to an old 1680x1050 LCD monitor I had at my desk, then I hooked it up to a 46" 1080p LCD HDTV, then I upgraded to a 55" 4K UHDTV, and finally now I'm back to two 24" 1080p dual monitors.

Playing on an HDTV was indeed a great experience. There wasn't anything quite like sitting back on the couch to play PC games with a quality sound system. I used my 46" HDTV for several years but only used the 55" 4K TV for maybe six months. I don't know, just something about the resolution and the distance from the TV made it less enjoyable. I suppose if I properly setup my living room to accommodate it it would've worked but in the end, I really missed being isolated in my room playing at a comfy desk and close to my equipment, especially now that I have dual monitors. Don't get me wrong, playing in the living room was great with friends, but it's just not quite for me.
>>
File: lg-55in-oled-television.jpg (125 KB, 950x683) Image search: [Google]
lg-55in-oled-television.jpg
125 KB, 950x683
>>334326302
Yes there have been for a while, they're just a bit pricey like tens of thousands of dollars. Korean call girl not included..

Personally I think quantum dots will probably be the next big jump in tech, SED looked promising for a while but got raped by patent wars and by the time they all expire it'll probably be too late anyway.
>>
>>334326795
OLED TVs look so great, it's a shame they never got cheaper.
QD seems to be lots of hype but no development for years
tfw qt korean waifu never ever
>>
>>334326173
http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/
Still high resolutions have visible lag.
This is why computer monitors are superior for games, at least unless you got a proper tv with gaming mode.
>>
File: 1314555.png (9 KB, 500x538) Image search: [Google]
1314555.png
9 KB, 500x538
>>334326516
You retarded? 5K displays are there right now anon. Fucking Apple has been including them in their god damned AIOs for a while now. Dell is selling a stand alone one too. The new UHDTV standard also upgraded the REQUIRED minimum color space with Req.2020, 10-bit will be the minimum and a lot of manufacturers say they're aiming for 12-bit. So 5k @60Hz with 10-bit color is likely a this-year thing. Bumping that up to 90 Hz isn't much of a stretch either, though even with DP1.3 that might requrie MCD or something, but that's a thing anyway so whatever. I think Thunderbolt 3 has the bandwidth as well, and as long as the final package is less then $2500 I'm happy. I'm only planning on getting 3 anyway, I'm not buying for a company.

So sure it may be a good couple of years, but 15? Come the fuck on.
>>
>>334326795

>buy $5000 meme tv
>no support from any television shows, that only go up to 720p/1080p
>most console games would look terrible if stretched that large
>stuck watching the demo video that they used to sell it to your dumbass
>>
Depends on how far I'm sitting from the screen. I think the best size I found was 28" 1920x1200 16:10 monitor a like 2-3 feet. Anything larger than that and it's way too big, and if it's just 1080, the pixels would be fucking massive.
>>
>>334327210
Sorry I didn't specify, you're right. I meant affordable shit. Like, $2000 or less.
>>
>>334327210

Yeah but is your 5k display any match for Rinne Tensei Madara Uchiha using the Rinnegan and Mangekyou Sharingan with a Susanoo armored Kyuubi?
>>
>>334327430
A fool and his money soon part ways
>>
>>334323147
LCD's are just backlit by LEDs, unless you have a fully OLED screen.
>>
File: science.jpg (106 KB, 1228x768) Image search: [Google]
science.jpg
106 KB, 1228x768
>>334326992
>QD seems to be lots of hype but no development for years
No, it's getting deployed, just not direct yet. The actual initial applications are actually really fucking clever: what they're starting with is using them as a layer in a standard LCD display. Basically normal LCDs have either a CFL tube or "white" LED lights, where "white" usually means blue with a phosphor. The problem is the spectral output from either of these is pretty shit in terms of what we actually want for red/green/blue primaries, so tight band filters are needed and all the rest of the light is wasted as heat (and can also result in bleed which hurts black levels).

The stuff getting deployed is a quantum dot film that basically is a vastly superior phosphor, with strong blue or UV inorganic LEDs stimulating the film to produce precisely red/green/blue light. The liquid crystal stuff is still responsible for setting levels and all the active display bits, but by having the "white" light be composed of just what you want you get way purer, better primaries for better energy efficiency and it integrates right into standard LCD manufacturing cheaply.

Pure direct should eventually happen but making LCDs way better is a smart intermediate step without going crazy or requiring tens of billions of dollary dildos in new factory tooling.
>>
>>334326660
>>334326795
Those are called OLED.
>>
>>334327745
Holy shit, that's awesome. Thanks, anon.
>>
>>334327724
>LCD's are just backlit by LEDs
Plenty still use CCFL backlights. Until recently in fact all the highest end ones did because the color gamut was a lot better, although true tri-primary wide gamut white light LED backlights are available now. Think Eizo at least uses them IIRC, probably NEC and other professional manufacturers as well.

Cheaper screens use normal blue-stimulating phosphor LED backlights though.
>>
>>334327745
That's a good explanation, assuming you know your shit.
>>
File: qdsizes-spectrum.png (224 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
qdsizes-spectrum.png
224 KB, 1000x1000
>>334327846
>>334328190
To be more specific, the typical cheap LED backlight is a gallium nitride (GaN) pump stimulating a YAG phosphor. One of the biggest issues with typical backlights is that the "white" spectrum is not merely non-uniform but actively in the wrong spots except for blue (due to the GaN source). You'll see a sharp spike around 440nm and then a shallow hill with the other bulge around 570nm (a sort of yellow-green). Filtering to get RGB out of that results in high inefficiency and very poor gamut. A lot of light has to be thrown away basically, and the narrower the channel filter (and thus the better the color) the worse it is, and in turn the more powerful the backlight required.

One of the major companies working on this is Nanosys, I'm shamelessly stealing one of their diagrams here. The point though is to replace the YAG phosphor with quantum dots. You've still got a GaN pump, but quantum dots can do extremely efficient (90%~) reemission at a very carefully targeted wavelength, thus generating a very pure RGB light.

IIRC Amazon started using the tech in the kindle a few years ago and it's slowly spreading. Coincidentally Samsung just did a big demo of their next screens which use it literally yesterday:
>http://news.samsungDOTMOOTSUCKSCOCKScom/us/2016/04/12/samsung-set-transform-way-people-experience-television-2016-suhd-tv-lineup/
Of course other places are working on other approaches, but it's nice to see a bunch of possible practical things finally coming out of the R&D pipe. Next few years should actually be pretty fucking awesome for display tech.
>>
File: GaN YAG white light.jpg (30 KB, 600x344) Image search: [Google]
GaN YAG white light.jpg
30 KB, 600x344
>>334329387
And here's an actual picture of what a GaN/YAG emission looks like. Remember, you want pure red/green/blue out of that and with the right power emission to mix properly for human eyes. Everything else is pure waste.
>>
>>334320752
tv>monitor
>>
>>334326173
>>334327050
Isn't it just a matter of vidya preference though? A console dev will optimize their game with TV in mind and vice versa so limitations aren't necessarily an issue. Some PC games might be not so good on a TV however. But whether a TV is 50 ms or 20 ms, if the game is made with that in mind and everyone else is facing the same limitation then it shouldn't be a problem.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.