[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are all my favorite genre so goddamn dead. >Strategy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
Why are all my favorite genre so goddamn dead.

>Strategy games
Except for a few exceptions, are all indie shit or wen the route of the MOBA/E-Sports shit tier
>RPG
most all going the Action with character customization route of Skyrim/Fallout.
>Tycoon / Business sims
Completely dead and forgotten.
>MMO
Wow clones and F2P/P2W shit everywhere.
>>
>>334302556
>most all going the Action with character customization route of Skyrim/Fallout.

Good fuck turn based garbage
>>
Because they were all niche genres and with today's graphics and production value its simply not profitable to make something unless you are appealing to the widest possible audience.

I feel your pain if its any consolation
>>
>>334302556
You should really look into suicide
I don't think this trend will end anytime soon.
Companies are massively greedy, and those specific games never sold much (except mmos but they have the problems you just listed)
>>
>>334302809
That's bullshit.
They can do them without super ebin graphics and super costly voice actors.
That surely can reduce production costs a lot.
>>
>>334302646
You don't need to be turn based to actually keep your RPG elements. Look at Elder Scrolls 1-3
>>
>>334302646
Who mentioned turn based? Real time can be great if only they bring back some actual depth and story, more actual customization rather than cosmetically customization, More player choices - maybe I want to be an chaotic evil dickhead for a change? Old D&D and TES games for example.

>>334302809
I wouldn't call RPG a niche genre. but even if it was - fuck production values. I'm ok with low production value things. I've sunk hundreds of hours in Aurora 4x and Dwarf Fortress. I'd even pay for games as long as they deliver content and depth.
>>
Gaming got way too big and is fucked. I found another hobby and am focusing on older games because there are maybe 1 or 2 games a year that are actually interesting to me.

>>334302809
Games are getting more expensive but they don't have to be, it's their fault for targeting a larger audience than their game can support. If they just budgeted games with their niche's size in mind, it'd be fine.

Indies are the only hope but even now they're not making anything but 2deep4u platformers.
>>
Gaming is getting too big IMO.
>>
but is it too big to fail?
>>
File: 1356650080810.jpg (35 KB, 433x512) Image search: [Google]
1356650080810.jpg
35 KB, 433x512
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.