[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this game any good? Seen it on Humble Bundle and was wondering
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: boxshot.jpg (77 KB, 640x914) Image search: [Google]
boxshot.jpg
77 KB, 640x914
Is this game any good?
Seen it on Humble Bundle and was wondering if it was worth my time
The reviews seem to say its really mediocre, but reviews have never done JRPGs justice
>>
File: 2014-05-29_00012.jpg (159 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
2014-05-29_00012.jpg
159 KB, 1280x720
>>321971301
One of the best, if at times convoluted, SRPG's around.
Let me assure you, this game isn't easy by the slightest. You will make mistakes, you will game over a few times on bosses because you didn't quite understand their formations vs your own and how to attack them, and you'll chances are for the first 10 hours not even understand why your formations have options one second, but then little to none at all the next.

It's rewarding though once you do learn all of the in's and outs of the battle system. You'll soon be able to net tons of foes into crosslocks and nuking them left and right, and it's pretty rad to build up your team and watch them grow over time.

It's a game that requires a guide to get done though, that or the willingness to miss out on a TON of stuff, and find your RANK a bit higher then you'd like.
>>
It's pretty good till about halfway through.

Then it slows down and turns into work.
>>
It's very average. inb4 someone posts the stupid "HARDEST JRPG EVER!!!" image that claims it's some anti-casual hidden gem.
>>
>>321971301
it plays the same as final fantasy 13 only somehow less interesting.
story is bland too, i wouldnt bother
there is a demo though, so find out for yourself
>>
This is easily the hardest RPG I've ever played.
>>
File: 2014-05-29_00005.jpg (274 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
2014-05-29_00005.jpg
274 KB, 1280x720
>>321971941
I couldn't call it the 'hardest', it's mostly hard because it's just convoluted so it's hard to quite understand exactly why something is working or not working in turn.

It's battle system though is something no other RPG's got going for it, and it's worth $5 bucks for sure.

>>321971794
I'll admit some of the later quests and the like become kinda slogs, hell even some of the earlier quest can be vexing in turn ( That fucking desert with the puzzle of activating the different posts in a selective order holy shit ). Also the main hero feels like another case of "Last second addition" like Vaan was for XII and can be viewed as like the worse part of the entire story.
>>
>>321972005
The story is a bit bland, but it could have worked if told a bit better.
I think it's biggest fault is the cheese / lame dialog.
>>
File: 1320709914057.jpg (88 KB, 360x351) Image search: [Google]
1320709914057.jpg
88 KB, 360x351
>>321971301

Its good if you can accept it for what it is. Dont go in expecting it to be Final Fantasy and you'll enjoy it.

The overworld/dungeons are basically just like any other FF game but the combat involves controlling squads of troops instead of just 3 characters. You pick which units from your roster make up the squads and can issue loose commands like "attack this with magic" "attack this with normal attacks" but what those units actually do is left up to the AI.

I rate it, its a solid game.
>>
>>321971301
The battle system is half-finished. It wanted to be squad based and tactical because it was their venture into PC but some suits probably called it off because "too complex for kids" and "not streamlined enough" then turned it into this abomination. Developers tried to save this by hiding some depth in how you develop your characters but it backfired.
>>
>>321972358
>it was their venture into PC
PC version came like a year after the console version.

>>321972005
>It plays the same as Final Fantasy 13
(you)
>>
It's one of the best but it's problem is it explains next to nothing. You'll want a walkthrough or guide to make sure you don't fuck yourself out of the entire end game. The PC version is a lot more forgiving but still more punishing than most, but at no point does it become unwinnable like the 360 version.

The battle system is interesting, focused more on controlling morale than just beating the enemy, and you have a bunch of squads that have semi-randomized attacks. One thing that the game never explains is that units have a 6th stat like Misfortune, Courage, Gluttony, or Bloodust, it depends on the unit. What this stat does is it changes the actions the squad can take if their the leader and maybe affect the squads overall performance if they're a part of it. The problem is no one really knows which one does what so you need to guess. Stats like Leadership are all around boosts so you'll always have options. Bloodlust seems to dislike retreating and favors physical attacks. Love seems to favor healing and protecting allies. Then there are more strange ones like Hotness, Zest, Spunk, and Literacy. Good luck finding what affect, if any, these have.
>>
>>321973163

None of this really matters as you want the people with special attacks as your leaders anyways. Rush and David and the like.
>>
>>321973163
>but it's problem is it explains next to nothing
I love that we've actually gotten to the point where this is an issue.

But it's true. You can be locked out of a massive chunk of the game's content and 100% completion just because you didn't exit a certain map from the correct exit to unlock a new area, and then went past the disc change so the quests in that area are lost forever.

That said, I think the game is amazing. I'm of two minds about using guides for it, though. I think that, in all honesty, you should play blind your first time through and use a guide the second time if you seriously feel like doing 100% completion. It's really tough to get the PC version to an unwinnable state, and the game becomes a massive chore if you follow a guide for it to get 100%.
>>
>>321973139
>PC version came like a year after the console version

Of course SE was mainly a console developer it is a safe play to release first on console. The game runs on unreal engine and Xbox is basically PC anyway.
>>
>>321973739
Maybe the guide was just me getting annoyed at this game.

I'm on my 4th playthrough and not 1 has been 100%.
First one was on the 360 when The Fallen quest suddenly disappeared.
The second one was when I missed At Hatreds Ends for not being retarded.
Then on the 3rd run through I got At Hatreds End but missed Hearts because I used the tablet on the remnant in the forest without talking to Haruko enough times.
This run is the first one on PC so far and I've pretty much memorized every quest in the game, although it is annoying that to unlock the best grinding areas you need to beat a superboss.

It depends on you whether the lack of direction is a good thing. It's a bit like old school adventure games where you can lock yourself into a dead end because of something you couldn't predict. The difference those games where 3 hours long at most where this one can go 60 hours before telling you that you fucked it up.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.