[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does /v/ hate fighting games?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 18
File: 1460579089402.png (269 KB, 362x444) Image search: [Google]
1460579089402.png
269 KB, 362x444
Why does /v/ hate fighting games?
>>
I know I don't speak for all of /v/, but I do enjoy fighting games, I just don't like the community.
>>
/v/ hates all games my friend
>>
File: 1450017223013.gif (2 MB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1450017223013.gif
2 MB, 200x200
Because fighting games are made with "competitive" players in mind, and as we all know, the "competitive" player does NOT want challenge. (Why are you going out of
your way to gain every little advantage over your opponent that you can? Why are you downright gleeful when you've gained an advantage? Why do you scour message boards
and YouTube channels to copy every little trick and tactic you can find, instead of playing the game and trying to devise them on your own, as the developers intended?
Why are you turning down all the detail levels? Why are you buying monitors and controllers specially designed to give you an advantage over those of your opponents who
lack the means to afford them?) He wants the OPPOSITE of challenge: he wants to "WIN"; and moreover, he wants to win specifically against a HOMO SAPIENS opponent, NOT
because the homo sapiens is a better or a more unpredictable opponent (for he isn't), but because unlike the AI bots, he is the only kind of opponent that CAN FEEL SAD.
That is what the "competitive" player's fixation with "winning" (i.e. with the game over screen) betrays: the "competitive" player does not draw his enjoyment so much
from his interaction with the game world, but from FORCING A PARTICULAR FRAME OF MIND ON HIS OPPONENT: more specifically the depressive emotion of SADNESS. And thus we arrive at the definition of the "competitive" player: A player who is more interested in making other people sad than in the quality of the game he is playing. He draws his satisfaction, not so much from interaction with the game world, but from the sadness he is causing the other players.
There's no other logically and psychologically consistent way to explain why the "competitive" player acts the way that he does. Why would I want to play any sort of game with these kinds of people? It brings out the worst sort of autism and I'd rather play some shit rpg by myself than deal with them. Yes, even one of those ridiculous, linear anime Jap ones.
>>
Fighting games are fun, the try-hard faggots who play them aren't fun.
>>
>>334265006
It's for niggers, pretty much like sport games
>>
>>334265006
Insufferable community. Trust me, I play to win, but I do so quietly. I don't need to loudly announce what I'm thinking like an anime character, but these niggers can never shut the fuck up and always cry when they lose. Not to mention that the whole thing is a validation contest on /v/ from people that claim to be good but never post proof.
>>
>>334265006
I don't like how they rely purely on skill.

What's the fun in playing a game where the person who has more skill always wins?
>>
>>334265006
/v/ is casual from /r/pcmasterrace, fighting game actually need skill to play.
>>
>>334265407
bait
>>
>>334265213
That's too long for some bullshit rambling.
Even if you are mostly right.
>>
>>334265006
I just don't like most of them. I got pretty good at soul calibur because I enjoyed it, but most of them just don't appeal to me.
>>
I don't have friends willing to play the ones I like with me. No Mexicans or Chinese in my area for KoF and even Street Fighter has the issue of no players in this area, believe it or not. I'm too isolated here for it to be worth it, though I guess online is alright, even if I don't learn much losing over and over to Mexicans and Chinese people on GGPO over and over.
>>
I don't hate them but I'm bad at them
>>
Really hard to discuss fighting games on /v/ because of all of the furious Americans (likely black or very culturally enriched) that go crazy over the slightest variation in opinion.
>>
>>334265557
It's a copypasta, and it's bullshit
I play fighting games for those moments where I do something that required great skill
That satisfaction is the same reason I play all games, but in fighting games you're gauranteed to have at least one person notice it, which makes it feel even better
>>
>>334265710
This
>>
File: done and over.png (473 KB, 497x598) Image search: [Google]
done and over.png
473 KB, 497x598
>>334265006
I don't hate em, I hate the community behind them. Keep in mind I know to not take the stream monsters and trolls on /v/ as the FGC's face, and that even considered they're still an awful chimped out community.
>>
File: 1451235157056.jpg (80 KB, 639x473) Image search: [Google]
1451235157056.jpg
80 KB, 639x473
I want to learn Guilty Gear, but I really don't want to add some weirdo from /v/ to do so. Hm...
>>
File: DSC_9604wdwd.png (2 MB, 1438x960) Image search: [Google]
DSC_9604wdwd.png
2 MB, 1438x960
>>334265213
I agree. You can say this fir pretty much any genre. Everything is spoonfed to players these days
>>
>>334265006
because /v/ is full of casual idiots who complain \how doing a half circle on a dpad and then pressing a button is too hard
>>
>>334265006
Overall, it's because the community is a bit hard to get into. There's a lot of testing out characters and looking up existing combos and such before you can even do remotely well online. You also need to invest at least sixty dollary doos for a half decent gamepad or upwards in the hundreds for a stick. All the while, 60% of the people you'll meet will pull the elitist sekrit club :^) shtick until you git gud against them.

Then the Tekken and Smash communities just absolutely ruin the FGC's picture because of how vocal they are. The only thing you ever hear out of the high level Tekken community are people talking shit and cussing out each other, never gameplay. Then for Smash, everyone has such a complex about proving their game and themselves as the best because it's still not at the level of even basic Capcom fighters that they forget that their game was designed to be more casual fun because they're too busy jacking each other off going "UGUUUU WE'RE DA BEST."

tl;dr Fighting games require more investment to get into and then particularly autistic communities like Tekken, Smash, and e-celebs in Capcoms make everyone look like assholes.
>>
So.... does anyone here play Viruta Fighter? For all of the posts I see about how good it is on here, I think I'm the only person that plays it online sometimes.
>>
>>334265006
theyre casuals
see the worst souls 3 threads about coop babies
>>
File: perplexed.jpg (21 KB, 300x487) Image search: [Google]
perplexed.jpg
21 KB, 300x487
>>334265006
>Why does /v/ hate fighting games?
Show me one fighting game that doesn't portray women as over sexualised sex toys, go ahead I'll wait
>>
>>334265881
you're trash my son
return to reddit
>>
File: your importance.png (360 KB, 551x412) Image search: [Google]
your importance.png
360 KB, 551x412
>>334266190
Nice skin deep understanding of smash you got there bucko, educate yourself. Thats why the smash kids have such a complex about it because faggots like you simply dismiss it on misunderstanding and misinformation. If we never took our games serious and found combos, and started to form our own tournaments, capcom woulda dismissed it as a button masher. They were never meant to be taken to tournaments but it was our dedication that pushed it forward and capcom saw that and locked into it. Nintendo is retarded, imagine if we had to fight capcom like the smash fanbase had to fight Nintendo and the misunderstandings our community faces were taken as the truth about it instead and people never looked at the sheer cavernous depth of our games.

intended audience=\=the deciding factor on what a game is.

t. someone who took the time to study melee and actually understand the game they play, and to realize that Smash 4 and Brawl are practically entirely different games from the older ones and should not be taken as the face of the games simply because they're the new ones.
>>
>>334266672
Bawwww did I hurt the monkey's feelings? Dont you got a #Blm protest to hold?
>>
>>334266531
I know this is bait, but
Virtua Fighter
Garou: Mark of the Wolves
Melee
I'm sure you'll move the goalposts because Pai and Jenet aren't wearing burkas, though.
>>
>>334265213
that's some top-level butthurtness right here.
>player gets better than him by spending time refining his techniques and looking for new strategies
>buhuu that's not how it was meant to be played!
>>
>>334265213
Git gud.
>>
>>334265006
Community is shit and so is SFV.
>>
>>334266884
Not him, but aren't you supposed to invent your own combos in games like Tekken?
>>
I don't
>>
>>334266531
>over sexualised sex toys
But that's the only good thing that came out of fighting games
>>
>>334266879
Peach literally fights with her ass
>>
>>334266803
you're an idiot lol
why do you even pretend to play videogames, probably dont have anything worthwhile going for you in your sad life huh
>>
File: sftm-bison.jpg (20 KB, 250x234) Image search: [Google]
sftm-bison.jpg
20 KB, 250x234
>>334265006
Because I will never be as God-like as Mike Ross.
>>
>>334267109
Is she not allowed to use her butt to fight? Is that an off limits body part for fighting? Some real martial arts have techniques involving the butt. Mario can do ground pounds in a lot of games. Why is this so wrong? It's not like Cutie Honey where she is also wearing tight pants while doing it.
Also, what about the other games I mentioned?
>>
File: This pleases the nicholson.png (524 KB, 680x463) Image search: [Google]
This pleases the nicholson.png
524 KB, 680x463
>>334267143
And thats why your community will never move forward, you lack introspection into the repercussions of your actions and ignore social cues and interactions like autists so you can continue to chimp out like cave dwellers.

Please though, keep acting like that. I like seeing your community oppress itself and keep it down while going out to blame others for your failure. Even the smash kiddies are suprassing you and becoming legitimized esports faster because no legitimate corporations truly want to deal with you anymore. You wonder why there's so many Nintendo "fighters" getting into evo now? Its because they're BETTER communities.
>>
>>334267109
>implying it's not female empowerment
It's not like she's meant to be sexualized wearing that fancy dress anyway.
>>
>>334267415
still here every thread.. guess you really don't have a life then

mom will come soon and find your fat ass plastered to the chair and shitposting, don't worry it doesn't get better
>>
>>334266459
Sydneys monthly has a VF section that has loads of people playing
>>
>>334268321
But most of the Australians on /v/ are just shitposters that I don't think actually play video games.
>>
>>334268391
You're thinking of EU. Common mistake. I'm American.
>>
>>334265006
because they don't play games. they go on /v/.
>>
>>334265006
But I love sm4sh and pokken
>>
>>334271860
>Pokken
I bet you think that Naruto UNS and DBZ BT are fighting games as well.
>>
>>334271961

t. FGCuck
>>
>>334265006
i think i might have a slight man crush on mike ross.
>>
>>334272669
THE READS
>>
File: Screenshot_2.png (713 KB, 533x660) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2.png
713 KB, 533x660
>>334272669
How can you not?
>>
Why are fgcucks so obsessed with their e-celebs? This is almost as cringeworthy as WWE
>>
>>334266993
Not really. The game's various versions have had a bunch of combos that you could access from the menus.

Regardless, this is like bitching about a chess player studying his opponent's strategy. It's retarded.
>>
>all games are pretty much the same with very slight differences
>need to put in an excessive amount of time to learn a topic that has no real world value
>have to actuallly go out and see people who also play the game to get the full experience
>shit like combos are an archaic design element, you really don't need to make every fighting game about hitting buttons in the exact pattern in under a few frames. Smash Bros. demonstrates this excellently, unfortunately Smash is actually casual and the fanbase is even more autistic
>community full of chimps

imo the only games that one should play competitively are team based shooters because they require a lot less time to get good and the way you get good at them is far more organic than simply reading a list of combos and watching youtube videos. Basically, the more you play a shooter like Unreal, the better you get, but its not really the same for fighting games or assfaggots, where you need to actually read guides on how to play a particular character.

You can easily succeed in fields with real value, like going to college and becoming a CS major, while also getting good at shootan games, but you need to put in like eight hours a day just to stay up to date with fightan games.
>>
>>334274360
>all games are pretty much the same with very slight differences
Anyone can tell you that King of Fighters and Bloody Roar are nothing alike. Anyone can tell you that Guilty Gear and Virtua Fighter are nothing alike.
>need to put in an excessive amount of time to learn a topic that has no real world value
Going by that logic, you shouldn't play video games at all, then. Your economic knowledge from an MMO marketplace isn't as useful as taking an actual economic class and any hand eye coordination you gain from FPS can be gained better via actual sports.
>have to actuallly go out and see people who also play the game to get the full experience
Are you so antisocial that you can't hang around other people? Are you ashamed of playing video games too much to do it in public?
>shit like combos are an archaic design element, you really don't need to make every fighting game about hitting buttons in the exact pattern in under a few frames.
Some games, e.g. Virtua Fighter, have very loose combos and you can even make up your own, so there's no canned list for you to be forced into.
>community full of chimps
Heavily depends on the game. Just avoid the Capcom and Netherrealm games and you'll be fine. Games like Guilty Gear and Virtua Fighter are mostly played by asians and white people. Also, this really is only a problem in America anyway.

>You can easily succeed in fields with real value, like going to college and becoming a CS major, while also getting good at shootan games, but you need to put in like eight hours a day just to stay up to date with fightan games.
Untrue, you only need to practice with a good partner to get good. The amount of time you're describing comes from wading through bad players in online matches. I play fighting games and also have a job.
>>
>>334265213
Nice pasta
>>
>>334265006
Fighting games are only fun if you play them casually. Playing them seriously turns them into busywork for tryhards.
>>
>>334275174
>I play fighting games
opinion discarded
>>
>>334266993
No, there are set combos in Tekken. As far as I know, the only game with do-it-yourself combos is Smash Melee, ironically enough.
>>
>>334274360
>no
>only if you want to be an evo champ and then there is *SOME* value in that (only if you're making some dosh though)
>not sure what's wrong with that
>lol
>diverse community of spics, chimps, chinks and whites
>>
>>334266190
>Hating on Tekken

spoken like true capcuck
>>
File: 1422912524865.png (186 KB, 1088x687) Image search: [Google]
1422912524865.png
186 KB, 1088x687
>>334274360
>>
>>334276802
He can't truly be a capcuck if he hates e-celebs
>>
Because /v/ hates fun
My scene is pretty comfy, but I don't know how the FGC behaves as a whole.
>>
File: 1453694567179.png (285 KB, 735x582) Image search: [Google]
1453694567179.png
285 KB, 735x582
>>334272669
Who doesn't
>>
>>334275174
Virtua Fighter are mostly played by asians and white people.
VF is the niggers favourite game.
>>
>>334280092
I though the favorite game of blacks was Marvel vs Capcom 3. I've only ever seen one black guy play Virtua Fighter.
>>
>>334280594
>I've only ever seen one black guy play Virtua Fighter.
Bro, it's seriously the urbanites favourtie game, you got them everywhere in Virtua Fighter.
You will be lucky to see one white guy aside from asians.

Even online, all the players customize their character to look black, so you can tell you're playing against a black.
>>
>>334280704
Not him, but I'm black and I have yet to convince another black person to play VF with me. Where do you live?
>>
>>334281052
I used to be in NC.
>>
>>334281108
>state has twice as many blacks as the U.S. on average
>is surprised a lot of black people play a given game
>>
File: 1427201515279.png (86 KB, 288x277) Image search: [Google]
1427201515279.png
86 KB, 288x277
>>334265006
Too much guesswork.
Too much of a time sink (and you get rusty really quickly so you have to play it constantly).
Any character or game that is even slightly execution heavy makes for a bad experience online.
Tiers make it so that unless you play the best characters you will have a frustrating experience since many matchups will be horrible, so you'll be forced to play a character you might not like or a character you will get shat on with because of bad matchups.
Community is almost always annoying and juvenile.
>>
>>334281437
everything about your post is wrong
>>
File: 1457296779491.gif (3 MB, 300x231) Image search: [Google]
1457296779491.gif
3 MB, 300x231
>>334265006
Why do you want /v/ to play fighting games? Is your scene dying? Do you really need more pot monsters? Or are you feigning concern?
>>
>>334282125
>small wonder gif
my nigga.
>>
>>334282125
it was just a question, don't read into it too much
>>
>>334272669
YOU GO DUMB, I'LL GO DUMB WITH YOU
>>
>>334281923
>everything about your post is wrong

Only someone delusional would think so.

But I bet you enjoy playing execution heavy characters online where even just 1-2 lost frames over the net can fuck you over.
>>
>>334281434
I'm not surprised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG77_DAMw_o

how many whites?
>>
>>334265006
It's fun for about 1-2 hours and then it gets repetitive with the only incentive to play is to get better at it. It worked for me back in the snes era and Killer Instinct. But now I just want to finish the story mode of a game and move to the next one. This and that none of my f.a.m or friends are into fighting games.
>>
>>334284068
Wow, wasn't actually expecting that. Of course, I live in a mostly white state, so I guess I shouldn't have been shocked I was the only black guy there.
>>
>>334265006
But I don't hate them. I just think they are kind of boring but I can see the appeal.
>>
File: costanza.png (234 KB, 910x570) Image search: [Google]
costanza.png
234 KB, 910x570
>>334265728
This
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.