[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Homebrew patch makes many Oculus VR games perfectly playable
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: file.png (588 KB, 671x819) Image search: [Google]
file.png
588 KB, 671x819
Oculus is confirmed DOA!!!

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/04/homebrew-patch-makes-many-oculus-vr-games-perfectly-playable-on-htc-vive/
>>
I'm not too surprised, its not like programs such as winebox haven't existed for years.

What does surprise me is people are still ordering these pieces of shit
>>
>need a room big and not cluttered enough to setup for standing motion sensors in the corners
>need enough room to move around without tripping and falling over anything, including the Vive's huge cable
I think the Oculus is fine, fampai.
>>
>>334264240
>I'm not too surprised, its not like programs such as winebox haven't existed for years.
that's irrelevant, what oculus can do is encrypt the tracking data going into the games, meaning a third party headset couldn't talk to the games, or if a decryptor/encryptor exists, it will introduce input lag.
>>
>>334264371

I see your point anon, but I have no emotional investment in these devices and this whole debacle is another bullshit ordeal with them. Can play games pretty easily, but will be shut down.

In the end they're both a peripheral that fucking sucks to wear for more than an hour and has no physical feedback. Its neat, and not much else
>>
>>334264635
Pretty much this, for that purpose I bought the Vive, it's neat, it's a toy, it will amuse me.

But also pretty hilarious that Vive will run Vive exclusives (which there are more of) as well as Rift exclusives.
>>
>>334265127
>Vive exclusives
even them? jesus..
>>
>>334264263
you can use the vive just like you would an oculus though. but you miss out on room scale vr and being able to walk around a virtual space.

the oculus is just a gimped vive at this point
>>
>>334264263
you can use a controller and do the exact same thing as Oculus
>>
>>334265480
>>334265953
In which case you are paying much more money for the same functionality.

It's going to be the PC v. Console slapfight all over again.
>>
Of course, they're playable on the Vive. The whole conflict isn't about trying to make exclusivity to a device like a console, it's about store support. This patch isn't able to add ATW which is what allows smooth headtracking with no artifacts when a frame drops and instead shows a black screen. The dev for this patch says that's impossible to add because it requires low-level driver access which is all hidden in the closed source SteamVR. So if Oculus added official support to Vive without Valve's support and access to their low-level drivers, everyone here would instead be complaining about how everything performs worse on the Vive and how they're crippling an opponents hardware liker Nvidia Gameworks. Having unofficial support instead is best for both Oculus and gamers, unless Valve fully cooperates. I wouldn't be surprised if this patch was actually made by or had input from an Oculus guy.
>>
>>334265480
>you miss out on room scale vr and being able to walk around a virtual space

Except you don't? Oculus is fully capable of walking around. I do it all the time. The only thing you miss out on is getting motion control wands sooner.
>>
File: smug_cunts.png (272 KB, 696x537) Image search: [Google]
smug_cunts.png
272 KB, 696x537
Whoa, does this mean all 68 Vive owners can play all the games previously only available to the 83 Rift owners?
>>
>>334267418
Yeah, and all 83 Rift owners are also able to play all the games available to the 68 Vive owners that don't require silly wands. It's almost like they are both overpriced monitors you put on your faces so similar that only fanboys could see any difference.
>>
Too bad the games are shit. Tell me when they get that Morpheus waifu game on Vive
>>
>>334264263
If you're putting down $800 for a Vive you might as well put down $2000 for the wireless Sulon Q
>>
File: 1452398938886.png (72 KB, 553x484) Image search: [Google]
1452398938886.png
72 KB, 553x484
my problem with VR is big companies (besides maybe Valve) will never do anything interesting with it, they will just make gimmicky mini game type games with it, just like they never did anything interesting with motion controls.

hopefully independent studios and middle men developers can do some good stuff, but we are going to have to wait awhile.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3LQVbQ3BE4

I think VR has always had massive potential but its been shown time and time again big company's just don't get it and the concept gets buried before anyone can do anything interesting with it.
>>
Ill hang tight til they make some real games for these things.
>>
File: 1458143315627.jpg (17 KB, 250x245) Image search: [Google]
1458143315627.jpg
17 KB, 250x245
>>334267418
this

VR is nowhere near the point where it's worth playing for free, let alone 100s of dollars. Give it 10 more years. Lol @ all the faggots who fell for the gimmick.
>>
I can't think of a single Oculus "exclusive" worth playing.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.