[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Decision Making
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: bravely-second-cover.jpg (178 KB, 880x400) Image search: [Google]
bravely-second-cover.jpg
178 KB, 880x400
Let's talk decision making in games.

As an example, i will talk about how Bravely Second outclassed Fire Emblem Fates in this aspect.
Wathever you mind think about both games, both have decision making as a big component.

Now, why did Bravely Second give a better experience in this aspect? Simple.
All decisions have their ups and downs, both characters have a logical and reasonable reason why to defend their position in every scenario and the main characters do have a legitimate reason and arguments to back up their (your) choice.

That's where Fates fails.
(This section may contain spoilers)
Hoshido is a perfectly good choice, there are absolutely nothing wrong with Hoshido, they do noy have any crime under the carpet nor any character ever regret joining Hoshido nor call you out for abandoning your family, etc.

While in Nohr, Corrin is regretful for chosing Nohr instead of defending his choice with arguments aside from "they raised me!". King Garon is evil, without any redemedable cualities nor intentions and Corrin's cowardly personality contrasts terribly with your choice. If you had the choice to have a neutral natured MC, or at least have him/her have intentions of conquest/taking the throne for yourself while playing the Conquest route.

Now, the worst aspect of Fates"s decision making is having a "Good" choice.
Why would you chose any other option if you can chose having a perfect route from the beggining?
Of course, i'm talking this in plot-wise perspective.

Decision making in modern games is taking an interesting turn, but we have to embrace the fact that choises are not always perfectly good and that not all choises with have you walk again scot free.
>>
>>334263070
>Complains about not having Vydia discussions

>Posts a legit and intelectual discussion

No one replies.
>>
>>334264107
/v/ likes Shit posting, don't they?
>>
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 500x300
I am in Chapter 3 of Bravely Second, but to be honest after beating the first game I have a strange feeling that none of those choices are going to matter after chapter 4 or 5. I especially suspect this because you only get one of the asterisks, I wouldn't see the game locking you out of those jobs until New Game+
>>
>http://nintendoeverything.com/bravely-seconds-european-version-always-gives-players-a-good-ending-with-sidequests/
you really didn't pick a good example
>>
>>334264784
Modern games.

I wanted to compare the fact that Fates called the family choice to be the main selling point while Bravely Second made a better job even if it was just for the side-quests.
>>
>>334264772
....Just keep playing, man.
>>
>>334264784
Huh.
Looks like i played a different version.

Weird.
>>
>>334265064
There are no ups and downs for the decisions you make, you always get the same ending. In the japanese version there were consequences and characters died but they removed that for localization. It's just like a telltale games where you are given the illusion of choice
>>
>>334265817
Well, looks like i installed a different CIA.

I mean, the cowgirl is there, but Jackal thr thief and the rest died.

Weird.

Still better than fates, tho.
>>
>>334265427
There is an "uncensored" version floating around of both Bravely Default and Second.

However I don't know if it's just model swaps.
>>
>>334265817
I mean, your choices didn't actually matter either way. No matter what you chose something bad was going to happen.
>>
File: 1460592823536.png (300 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1460592823536.png
300 KB, 800x800
>>334264784
well, the good endings /v/ complains about are exactly what OP mentioned. In the japanese version of Bravely Second they would never defend their choice the first time around, meaning you would have to do the fake NG+ 3 times and than continue the real story just for Edea to actually defend why she picked one choice over the other.
They didn't remove the outcome of a quest, you can still kill a bunch of desert dwellers in the name of science and stuff like that.
All that changed is how your characters feel about the choice they made.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.