[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So now that we're approaching the release of the sequel,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: 1382487043425.jpg (37 KB, 304x294) Image search: [Google]
1382487043425.jpg
37 KB, 304x294
So now that we're approaching the release of the sequel, can we finally end the "Dark Souls 2 is bad" meme?

Shitposting aside, I really don't understand why it gets so much hate. DaS 2 had a lot going for it, such as weapon and armor variety, better PvP (at least from a connectivity standpoint), and was graphically a lot more impressive outside of shitty backgrounds (walking into Majula for the first time was a lot more impactful than Firelink, for example). I'm not saying it was flawless (especially on release) but I'd say that DaS + DLC = DaS 2 + DLC in quality, although their strengths lie in different areas. Seriously, anyone who can beat Eleum Loyce and still claim that DaS 2 was shit is baiting.
>>
>>333908838
The issue was never weapon/armor variety or PvP. The fact is that DS2 failed in some of Dark Soul's most important features.

>Atmosphere
>Level Design
>Enemy/Boss Design

Everything else, including the story/lore was okay.

Oh and they borrowed way too many things from DS1 and Demons. E
>>
>>333909068
Agree, except for the lore/story part theres no denying it the game suffered from lack of ideas
>>
>>333909068
There was also only one instance where i was invaded (not sure if it was just super unlucky or what) and that was my favorite part of dark souls 1. Also mages made the game ez as shit.
>>
I still believe that agility is what makes DS2 a bad game. Having the i-frames and delays to movement tied to a stat just makes it clunkier then it needs to be.
>>
>>333909841
Didn't they change directors halfway though development? The base game was pretty much post-Anor Londo quality which while not all that bad, certainly wasn't great compared to the rest of the games. The DLCs pretty much addressed all of this though, and taken all together are a pretty sizable chunk of the game.
>>
>>333908838
Hey OP

If you can find the time be sure to watch this video. It tackles the things Dark Souls 2 did that made it a horrible Souls game. It's still a great standalone game, no doubt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UScsme8didI
>>
>>333910489
>50 minutes
Jesus Christ dude.
>>
File: 1460138731527.jpg (61 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1460138731527.jpg
61 KB, 960x720
>>333908838
ive been playing it recently and i dont know why it gets all the hate, sure theres a few annoying new elements like having to teleport to the one bonfire every time you want to level up. and of course ive experienced some hitbox bullshit but nothing so bad as to warrant all the criticism
>>
>>333910529
At least it isn't 6 FUCKING HOURS.
>>
File: 1347574414080.png (155 KB, 324x383) Image search: [Google]
1347574414080.png
155 KB, 324x383
Dark Souls 2 was a very good game. It just wasn't as good as Demon or Dark Souls. It was by a small margin, but it's true.
That said there were a few things it did better. I liked how they handled dual wielding and some of the changes during new game+ were great. I had some of my most fun with the series during my no shield, dual poison whip only run in DaS2. Shit was great.

I've actually missed out on any DaS3 advertising or hype. I didn't even realize it was coming out tomorrow until a few hours ago.
Someone give me a super quick run down of major changes they've advertised. Shit like the dual wield changes in DaS2, or the lifestone things.
>>
>>333910245
Yes they had a few issues during development. I have done some research on it and i believe that the story we got from the DLC was supposed to be the original story. There are scenes in some of the original trailers that show snow and exact areas in the Sunken City.

I believe that due to time constraints put on the team and losing it's director. They decided to cut and just do DS1 style.

>Kill 4 Great Ones
>Fight last boss
>End Game

This would explain how well designed Drangliec Castle to Dragon Aerie are yet everything else is so dry and unfinished.
>>
>>333910489
Holy shit
That's some heavy autism right there
>>
>>333910529
It's worth it though

Explains why Souls 2 is the garbage that it is
>>
>>333910489
>Brings up gender issues in first 2 minutes
And closed.
>>
>>333913509
If you think that's autism, I actually watched it. All of it.

>>333910489
It's pretty much what I expected: some critique that I find heavily accurate and some that I think is knit-picky. Things such as enemy tracking and level design are spot on, and probably the most glaring flaws of Dark Souls 2. However, stuff such as the opening cutscene and Solaire pandering are really small in the grand scheme of things, and not even a negative for a lot of players. There's also a lot of things that are debateable, such as music (the only tracks I found to be really memorable from DaS were Biggy and Smalls, and Gwyn's). There's also a lot of criticism regarding stuff that got addressed in SotFS and the DLCs. I'd really like to see hear his opinion of the final version of the game. Overall, the video didn't really change my opinion of the game, although I should clarify that my opinion is not that DaS 2 is the better game, but is instead a title that is scrutinized too heavily because people are passionate about the series.
>>
Soul Memory and AGI. Don't get me wrong, I love the game, but;

>restart the game a week ago
>forgot to get ADP
>get slapped in the dick mid roll by attacks that I shouldve dodged
>try to get summoned for the pursuer at SL 30
>no summons at all
>realise SM is too high

Those 2 things just suck. No way around that.
>>
>>333910489
This guy makes a lot of criticisms of DaS2 that strongly apply to other titles. No sane person thinks that any Souls game is particularly fair or bereft of beginners' traps.
>>
>>333910843
I've been keeping myself in the dark too, so pretty much the only major changes I know is that Firelink returns, but it's more like the Nexus in Demon's Souls, and that weapons now have these things called "arts" which are special attacks that use a resource. Also, covenants have a separate item slot now.
>>
>>333915140
>If you think that's autism, I actually watched it. All of it.
Jesus fucking christ
>>
>>333915305
If your SM is too high, then move on.
>>
File: pepe 420.png (67 KB, 230x230) Image search: [Google]
pepe 420.png
67 KB, 230x230
I've always thought it was good just the weakest one

though some areas are outright poorly designed, like making you fight 5000000 enemies in lost bastille, iron keep, and tseladora
>>
>>333915305
Oh yeah, I totally agree. I think they're good ideas executed poorly. Anyone who wasn't a twink thought they were stupid, and I think deeper roll mechanics could've made combat a lot more interesting, but they should have at least visually represented agility somehow.
>>
>>333909068
>dark souls atmosphere

kek, the atmosphere in DaS is a downgrade from DeS
>>
>>333915330
I got nothin' else to do until tomorrow. Whenever it's the night before the release of a game I'm anticipating, I can't work up the motivation to play anything else.
>>
>>333909068
Dark Souls base game has far more shitty bosses than good ones, and it isn't very atmospheric for the most part. Demon's Souls is much more atmospheric. No Soulsborne game actually had very good base game bosses, though, most had their best bosses in the DLC. Dark Souls' edge over DeS was the moveset variety (which far outstrips DaS2 because of the plethora of unique R2s) and the interconnectedness of the world.
>>
>>333915672
mfw i get it in 4 hours. Suck it PCuck
>>
>>333915956
The Japanese got it three weeks ago, and I feel the same about you as I did about them. Godspeed, dude. I hope you enjoy it.
>>
I really like a few of the areas in Dark Souls 2, like Huntsman Copse and Shrine of Amana but the game is kinda disjointed and is the most confusing when it comes to where/when you go places
>>
>>333916054
>playing it on PC
I really hope you guys don't do this
>>
>>333917074
enjoy your silky smooth 24fps and paid online
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.