[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Probably the worst offender ever in terms of artificial difficulty
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: Fire_Emblem_Awakening_box_art.png (140 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Fire_Emblem_Awakening_box_art.png
140 KB, 250x250
Probably the worst offender ever in terms of artificial difficulty
>>
File: 1390331391936.gif (167 KB, 298x298) Image search: [Google]
1390331391936.gif
167 KB, 298x298
>>333894251
only on the hardest difficulties. The game allows so much grinding, it doesn't matter. Still wastes time, though. However...
>play Lunatic
>enemies have steel weapons when you have bronze
>>
Lunatic Classic without DLC is a legitimate challenge.
DLC makes it trivial after the first few chapters though
>>
>>333894971

>grinding

when? I'm starting on hard mode/classic because all my friends did too and I'm getting raped continually on ch. 7.

>tactics game
>RNG decides everything
>>
File: Zero.jpg (21 KB, 230x400) Image search: [Google]
Zero.jpg
21 KB, 230x400
>>333895346
Alright, a few questions

Are you regularly using Fredrick?

Who do you usually go in with?

What is your basic strategy?
>>
>>333895346
The game isn't even rng heavy on hard/lunatic mode, you should be able to reliably pull off the same tactics every time unless a character gets REALLY fucked by the rng. It's only lunatic+ that's absolute ass in balancing.
>>
>>333894251
>artificial difficulty
The only terrible things in Awakening were the Risen fights (where all of them just rush at your characters, no strategy involved) or enemy units just popping up on the sides of the map unannounced. Other than that, the game is remarkably easy, between overpowering your units and Pair Up.
>>
>>333895596

>Are you regularly using Fredrick?
I know I'm not supposed to but I still feel like I use him more than I should

>Who do you usually go in with?
Depends on what the map calls for but chrom, vaike, my main character, and the myrmidon guys are becoming real powerhouses

>What is your basic strategy?
On ch 7 I've just been trying to take out as many enemies as I can before cordelia shows up, then I try to retreat and form a wall at the rear to help deal with the wyvern reinforcements. That worked pretty well last time but I fucked up and got chrom killed
>>
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 400x240) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 400x240
>skirmish on lunatic
>all of the risen are promoted and overpowered
what the FUCK
>>
>>333896261

>RNGs decide how you level up
>also decides how much damage you do. can be lower one turn on the same guy and different the next
>also affects damage you take
>decides what items you get from the sparkling tiles

all of these have consistently been a problem for at no fault of my own
>>
>>333896863
>RNGs decide how you level up
You have infinite level-ups and there isn't that much variance.

>also decides how much damage you do. can be lower one turn on the same guy and different the next
>also affects damage you take
Bullshit, it determines if you hit or not, and if you crit or not. It doesn't vary the damage one bit. The "variable" about of damage you are noticing is because an enemy changed position and is now standing on something with grants a defense bonus.

>decides what items you get from the sparkling tiles
True, but were you really counting on that 21xp or finding a Ladle there? Really?

I'd love to hear your strategy which involved something found on a sparkling tile.
>>
>>333897227
>start chapter
>pegasus can hit 11 x2 on a mage with 24 hp
>not enough one hit
>lose
>start chapter again
>she somehow can hit 12 x2 this time, one hits mage
>lose again anyway
>back to 11

also, if the item locations were static and not random, you could have definitely developed a strategy around it
>>
File: ultimate-mortal-kombat-3.jpg (121 KB, 550x280) Image search: [Google]
ultimate-mortal-kombat-3.jpg
121 KB, 550x280
Have you never been to an arcade before? Literally every arcade gets money because of artificial difficulty.
>>
>>333898215
You do realize that the common enemy troops have randomly assigned stats and skills every time you begin the map, correct? That's not RNG changing the damage amount, it's RNG changing the stats on enemy units.

Most people are not stupid enough to restart the map multiple times just to keep using an underleveled unit against the same mage that keeps killing them.
>>
>>333898564
How about you git gud, first off. There are only two arcade bosses that come to mind in terms of true artificial difficulty
>>
>>333898594
>That's not RNG changing the damage amount, it's RNG changing the stats on enemy units.

how is this not effectively the same thing?

>Most people are not stupid enough to restart the map multiple times just to keep using an underleveled unit against the same mage that keeps killing them.

The mage wasn't killing anybody. It's the mid-bottom one on the second paralogue. i was using sumia to cross the river and gank him before he could do anything else, which worked wonderfully when RNG wasnt fucking me up
>>
>>333898660
>Kintaro, Motaro, and Shao Kahn
>not completely broken and impossible to beat without free play on
>>
>>333898660

Typical claw machines or similar games that reward prizes do sort of randomly select their winners. Claw machines can randomly have a stronger grip.
>>
>>333898996
>how is this not effectively the same thing?
One changes the setup when you begin the map, meaning that a certain map is going to involve a different strategy than the last time you played it.

The other means that your attacks are not reliable and do not do a set amount of damage. It means that, if you attack a unit for 11 damage and it hits back for 5, then it's not certain if you will counter-attack for 11 damage or if they will attack you for 5 on their turn. If the damage amount is RNG, then this is variable and you have no clear way of knowing if you are tossing a unit into trouble of not. If the damage amount is not RNG, then you can clearly plan if a counter will kill a particular enemy, or if a unit is safe with being attacked by a certain enemy or not.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.