[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 11
File: 417621.jpg (28 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
417621.jpg
28 KB, 620x413
What went wrong?
>>
Marketing and 3rd party support
>>
Nogaems
>>
>>333819007

>lack of games
>confusing name
>relying on literally the most casual group of "gamers" to remain loyal - which they didn't
>>
>>333819007
The name.

THE FUCKING NAME.

NO ONE KNOWS IT EXISTS.
NO ONE HAS HEARD OF IT.
EVERY SINGLE NORMALFAG I'VE EVER SPOKEN TO HAS NEVER HEARD OF THE WII U. ALL HEARD OF THE WII. NONE OF THE WII U.

STUPIDEST.
FUCKING.
NAME.
EVER.
>>
I'm a diehard Nintendo fan and I didn't know it was out until like 6 months after the fact. Stupid release strategy and stupid name
>>
>>333819054
>Marketing and 3rd party support

Marketing?

People are not that stupid, even if NIntendo spent 3 billion on ads and commercials it wouldn't sell more

The problem is that the Wii U have only 4-5 games, the rest is garbage.
>>
>>333819621
>I'm a diehard Nintendo fan
>>333819621
>I didn't know it was out until like 6 months after the fact.

Hipsters trying to lie is the best thing on /v
>>
>haven't been sleeping the last few days
>notice this thread has been made at the same time every single day

How long has this been going on?
>>
It's the same answer every time, everybody thought it was just an add on to the Wii.
>>
>>333819195
nah it failed because it only has mario and shit graphics XD

>post yfw they call the NX "WiiX"
>>
File: 1459812363376.png (98 KB, 589x301) Image search: [Google]
1459812363376.png
98 KB, 589x301
>>333819832
>>post yfw they call the NX "WiiX"
>>
>>333819195
>The name.
No, everyone know its exist, they just don't bother with that trash. Stop comforting yourself with meme.
>>
>>333819964
No.

No one fucking knows it exists. /v/ isn't real life.
>>
>>333819007
Mainly Third-party support. It has no gaem
It's gimmicky gamepad, could have been less gimmicky if the above reason got it more gaems.
The name is very similar to the Wii, so most people think it's the same thing.

Most games requires local play for multiplayer, as much as that's fun online play in his day and age is a requirement. Which Nintendo is ignoring, partially. Smash and Kart being the exception.
Plus It doesn't help that Nintendo is censoring shit either,

Bayonetta / Fatal frame / MH3U are the only games that are worth mentioning that isn't Mario or Zelda.
>>
It's a very expensive Wii controller, why am I buying that when we've got Wii controllers at home?

I guess the box is a base unit or something?

Either way, I've seen no marketing so I'll just buy a PS4 instead.
>>
amiibos, DLCs and a Hardware that is just a little bit better than the Hardware of a PS3, that's the main reason. Developers would have to low down their graphics for the Wii U and then the games would look like shit.
>>
>>333819964
At work the other day a co worker of thought it was an add on to the original Wii. The name is a part of why it failed. This same dude got confused with the new 3ds. What's with Nintendo and these names?
>>
Region lock
American voices in Xenoblade X
Xenoblade X was shit
No games
No power
>>
Everything.
>>
>>333819123
>>
File: 1459782297359.gif (1 MB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
1459782297359.gif
1 MB, 320x180
Name, 3rd party support, shit hardeware so casuals who only buy for graphics didn't want something that was performing similar to their 360s and PS3s, and Nintendo fostered the casual market image with the wii so "gamers" stayed away from it because it was seen as kiddy and they wanted to play CoD and Asscreed on their """"""mature"""""" platforms.

Ignore this fact all you want because, "hurr fuck casuals," but you need their sales for a console to be successful. Die hard Nintendo fans buying Nintendo consoles only for Nintendo games a successful console does not make.
>>
File: 7743472223232885.jpg (201 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
7743472223232885.jpg
201 KB, 720x1280
If you buy a Wii U you are retarded.
>>
Making sure there's no third party games by having very different specs, architecture and hardware, compared to the rest.
>>
>>333821569
>look at me look at me I am le nigger xddDd
Kill yourself.
>>
Lack of advertising
Bad name
Lack of third party support
Expensive because of gamepad
Gamepad was trying to tap into a market of emerging technology (tablets) that had already outgrown it, essentially Nintendo "missed the train" on this one, and had to release the Wii U anyway, they've even admitted as much.

Now that being said, it's one of my favorite systems of all time, has a great library, utilizes backwards compatibility better than any console I've ever seen.
>>
>>333820764
Even I who follow game news wasn't sure if it was an add on or not after the E3 reveal. I have a friend who still thought it was an add on after having played it at another friend's place.
>>
>>333820764
>>333822289
E3 made it obviotus that it was a new console.
And why wouldn't it be? Was the Xbox 360 an addon to the original Xbox? No one thought that.
>>
>>333819195

normies can keep up with the different versions and names of apple and samsung shit

they didt know the wii u was a new console because they didnt care
>>
>>333819007
Launch titles
>>
File: 1459705228993.gif (181 KB, 190x152) Image search: [Google]
1459705228993.gif
181 KB, 190x152
>>333819007
nothing, I love my wii u, I love all my consoles and computer. I have nothing that went wrong. I guess I don't belong here!
>>
>>333824709
PS+ went wrong. Very wrong. And the entirety of the Xbox One launch.
>>
>No multiplayer dlc pack for mario kart
>No different skins (dr.mario, tanuki mario, wario ware wario, etc) for the mario tennis chars
>No dlc for mario tennis
>Captain toad not being a dlc for mario 3d world
>Mario maker not being a level editor for super mario bros wiiu
>No dlc for bayonetta
>No nintendo maker (you can make kirby/ yoshy/ donkey kong/wario/mario games)
>Not using smash bros to advertise their wiiu games and telling sakurai to fuck off with all his fire emblem characters
>Pokken fighter roster being designed by an internet bot.
>No agressive marketing and pricing campaigns
>Not enough games on the virtual console, also too expensive
>No metroid
>No f-zero
>Not enough collaboration with third parties
>All the rats have been jumping to the nx boat for a year an a half.
>I can buy a 60gb dpendrive for 20 euros but this fuckers couldn't give us a console with proper storage capacity despite most of their products being difficult to find on phisical.
>>
Having forced input asymmetry is dumb.
>>
No games.
>>
>>333822939
>they didt know the wii u was a new console because they didnt care
Yeah, that's the thing.

They shouldn't need to care.
>>
>>333819725
>People are not that stupid
>PS4
>First half of year three
>Still none of those wonderful exclusives.
>>
>>333819007
They thought people enjoyed tablet gaming and mobile gaming for the platform itself, not realizing that people enjoy that shit for their simplicity and ability to take them on the go.
>>
Too reliant on shit exclusives to sell the console
>>
Most of the people that owned nintendo consoles back then had lots of nostalgia for the first party titles but they had just as much love and nostalgia for the 3rd party titles as well. This is the blow that hit nintendo the hardest. Especially since they seem to have forgotten some of their beloved franchises and stick to mario,zelda,kirby. Most of their 3rd party projects are on the 3ds. Nintendo tried to make the jump to HD and it was too much for them. You can see that with starfox 0 which I'm still surprised was released since I thought they forgot about starfox too.
>>
>>333819725
>People are not that stupid
I fucking wish.
>>
>>333819725
people literally are that stupid
>>
>>333822713
You're implying the casual crowd watches E3.
>>
Everyone in this thread is the same faggot. Nobody likes the Wii U, that's why nobody bought one.
>>
>>333819007
They tried to hook the casual crowd again. They failed miserably and now it's a festering corpse Nintendo's trying to abandon.
>>
File: shulg.png (209 KB, 698x515) Image search: [Google]
shulg.png
209 KB, 698x515
>>333824709
Pretty much this.
>>
>>333829518
Not really. But the anon in question claimed that he did. Which means he must have not paid any attention at all since it was made very obvious.

As for casuals? I repeat. They had no trouble whatsoever in understanding that the 360 was a new console.

The Wii U failed for numerous reasons but I still won't accept the idea that casuals supposedly didn't/doesn't even understand that it's a new console.
>>
>>333829567
>They tried to hook the casual crowd again.
I have absolutely no idea where claims like this come from. That's pretty much the opposite of what they were going for.
>>
File: 1296376178706.jpg (63 KB, 672x462) Image search: [Google]
1296376178706.jpg
63 KB, 672x462
>>333829725
>The Wii U failed for numerous reasons but I still won't accept the idea that casuals supposedly didn't/doesn't even understand that it's a new console.
You need to get out and talk to some normal people some more. I don't even mean that in a condescending tone, they seriously had almost no idea it was a thing.

The only people that seemed to acknowledge its existence were a few moms and tons of kids. It's painful.
>>
>>333819725
literally the worst bait ever
>>
>>333829782
>That's pretty much the opposite of what they were going for.
How? They dedicated themselves to gimmicks. Again.
>>
>>333829961
The Wii U gamepad is just the natural evolution of the DS technology. And the DS for that matter, was not a casual platform.
And unlike the Wii, it doesn't dominate the games. Now in the majority of cases it's a complement rather than absolutely everything the game is about.

And gyro is no gimmick. It's a proper evolution of controls, generally not with casuals in mind.
>>
>>333829862
I work in an admittedly small electronics store. It's not big but I'd like to say that I meet a fair amount of people regularly.
The Wii U may not be a thing in most people's minds. But it's certainly not a Wii add-on in most people's minds. The people who do know of the Wii U knows that it's its own console.
>>
>>333830217
>Now in the majority of cases it's a complement rather than absolutely everything the game is about.

isn't that because the concept flopped?
>>
>>333830331
That's kinda ironic. I work electronics in a supercenter wally-world and I constantly have families asking me about gaming. The add-on part has faded a great deal (I still have families occasionally asking about what's the difference), but its existence on the other hand is still pretty under the radar.

It's all about the PS4s, 3DS's, and the occasional Xbone now.
>>
>>333830349
What makes you say that? A game having waggle controls for everything isn't a success. A game having moderate motion controls where the strengths of motion controls actually adds to the experience, that's a success.
>>
>>333830217
>Now in the majority of cases it's a complement rather than absolutely everything the game is about.

and it still adds $100 to the cost, which is the console's problem. Nobody is going to pay $300 or $350 for a Nintendo console. I remember getting my Gamecube and Wii for $150. I remember Nintendo slashing the cost of the Gamecube until it sold acceptably, but because of the Gamepad, they refused to do this with the Wii u.
>>
>>333830621
The most common question I get about the Wii U is quite plainly, whether or not it's better than the Wii, and if so to what extent.
Which again just solidifies how no one thinks it's an add-on. That's my experience at the very least.
>>
>>333831021
The Wii launch bundles were like $280.
>>
>>333831227
The point is that both consoles regularly received price cuts. You know, the things that help a console continue selling past its first couple of years. The thing that the Wii U has received one ($50), despite this being its last year on the market and it being the worst selling Nintendo console aside from the virtual boy. I feel like Nintendo just gave up on moving Wii U units and chose to milk the small installbase with Amiibos and overpriced Software instead
>>
>>333819007
Turns out 90% of the Wii's ownerbase was soccer moms and Grandparents that only played Wii Sports a few times then threw it in the closet for the rest of eternity.
>>
>>333819007

Pretty much fucking everything. Really the only good thing about the Wii U was the gamepad . And not the way it was executed, just the idea of it.

But marketing, name, games, release timing, hardware capabilities, all were laughably bad, and go only to show how out of touch Nintendo has become.
>>
>>333831408
The claim was that no one would buy them. Yet they sold like hotcakes at just under $300.
>>
>>333819725
Except it would have sold more, easily.

There were literally no ads for the Wii U until months after it's release.
>>
>>333819725
You know that advertising is a multi-hundred billion dollar industry for a reason?

People don't get their information out of nowhere. Yes, you have the small number of dedicated gamers who actually keep up with what consoles are out and which games are available for each, but the overwhelming majority of people just go with what they're told.
>>
>>333819007
In mexico it sold like absolute shit.
It's way overpriced (even more expensive than the PS4 in some places).
People here are what you guys would refer to normis, playing CoD and Fifa on their consoles.
And literally no one knows about the awiiU, it's just an abscure console. The Xbone didn't do so bad because EA Sports and Halo.

To me it was not the naming of the console the major problem, but the marketing, PS4 and XB1 had noticable marketing, every CoD, Halo, battlefromt had a lot of advertizing, but never seen a street add for ANY WiiU game, nor the console.

They'd sell a lot if they did marketing right and comete for he third party audience, while keeping a strong first party as the principal reason to stay.

You know
>Came for the third party
>Stayed for the Exclusives
>>
>>333819007
No Trauma Center.
>>
>>333819123
>memeing this hard

It seems pretty much the first year or two of life ruined it for the rest.
>Terrible name
>mass confusion over whether it's just a peripheral
>nearly completely absent marketing presence
>alienated 3rd parties some more
I hate to admit it, but
>Didn't really have much to back up the controller features (Nintendo land was cool af though, blew my mind how it was a pseudo VR before VR was a thing
>No CoD or madden or shit
>Online infrastructure slow to come to market
I also hate this one because it shouldn't matter but
>Underpowered in comparison which helped alienate 3rd parties further.

The games is not the issue. It's got easily the best titles this gen by FAR and is easily the more interesting of the 3 consoles. The ps4 simply wins sales because it capitalised on microsoft's shitshow early on and marketed the hell out of ps4 despite having literally no games apart from bloodborne. A trend that is true to this day. The bone just has microsoft's money machine throwing funds at it.

It's tragic because it's an amazingly good console. People who say no games are completely and blatantly incorrect.
>>
File: poker face carrey.gif (416 KB, 250x175) Image search: [Google]
poker face carrey.gif
416 KB, 250x175
>>333821569
>Posts "I AM LE GAYMER " collection of shit games
>is black
>talking shit
>>
>>333819007
One of the big problems was that they underestimated how quickly tablets would become mainstream.

Nintendo tries to stay ahead of the curve, investing in technology that's either totally new or used only by niche products. They popularised analogue sticks with the 64, touch screens with the DS and kind of popularised motion controls with the Wii.

Sadly, while they were able to get all of those products out well before a competitor could come along (DS is from 2004, iPhone is 2007), the Wii U released after the iPad. They were banking on the idea that the tablet would be some big, new gimmick, but it made almost no splash at all. I can play asymmetric multiplayer? Why would I want to do that? I can play off the TV? That's neat, I guess. Probably not worth the hundred dollars for the controller
>>
>>333819725
Everyone i know at first thought it was an ad on to the Wii.
There marketing was shit.
>>
>>333819007
Confusing name
>>
>>333825637
My man nailed it.
I still like my wii u though
>>
File: 1456269223620.gif (1011 KB, 355x210) Image search: [Google]
1456269223620.gif
1011 KB, 355x210
>>333819007
Ha i love this. now that Wii-U is dying all the nintendo fans are hoping on the band wagon by hating too. but when we hated it before hand, it was just autismo excuses. nintendo fans are even more 2-faced
>>
>>333819007
The power, that's pretty much it. If it had come out with similar sec to the Bone it probably would have done well. As it stands, third parties can't/won't downgrade their big games enough for it, and since it's selling slow compared to everything else they won't make original IP for it either.

Hopefully NX can change that, while still keeping that little bit of Nintendo innovation that makes it unique enough to be worth getting in addition to your PS4.
>>
>>333834420
It's not even the power that makes porting hard. It's the fact it's not x86 while the xbone and ps4 both are. Wii had a similar issue with architecture where a dev for Tatsunoko vs Capcom said it would cost as much money to port the game to the 360/ps3 as it would to develop a new game.
>>
>>333819007
Little to no support from nintendo.
A lot of the games they released were straight up shovelware without any QA.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.