[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
> Zelda: Majora's Mask. I loved Ocarina of Time but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 370x269) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 370x269
> Zelda: Majora's Mask.

I loved Ocarina of Time but never played MM for unknown reasons. Is it actually worth playing now? I've heard many say it's better than OoT.
>>
You've got nothing to lose by playing it since it doesn't sodomize the story of Ocarina or anything like that.
>>
It's just a rehash of Ocarina but with a timer to constantly force you to lose progress.
Not fun at all.
>>
It's one of the most experimental games in the series. It has a much darker tone, a greater emphasis on sidequesting and world building than any other Zelda, and of course the make-or-break 3 day mechanic. I don't think anyone should start with MM but anyone with an established interest in the series should at least try it.
>>
>>333811207
Good game if you you're not a pussy and can handle the 3-day system.
>>
It's not bad, but it's not great.
>>
MM Isn't very good as an introduction game for people getting into Zelda, as it experiments with stuff that isn't in a standard Zelda. But I can easily say I enjoy MM over OOT.
>>
>>333811207
Definitely worth playing but make sure you watch this first:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S1SVkysIRw
>>
Its ok. 3 of the dungeons are mediocre, with the last being good, but even the good dungeon has annoying time wasters plastered all over it. Every dungeon in mm has the same problem that the water temple had, but the stone tower temple takes it to a whole other level.

But yeah, better than OoT? Only a Fanboy would believe that.
>>
It's much different to Ocarina, not better.
I don't like Ocarina very much but love Majora.
Give it a shit, just don't play the 3DS version.
>>
I still think it's cooler than OoT, but I will say, if not for cheating and peeking at walkthroughs, I don't think I would have ever beaten it. I was so lost in this game as a kid, could never figure out where to go or who I should talk to given the time constraints.
>>
>>333812410
As someone who considers the 64 version one of his favorite games of all time, I still cannot believe how badly they fucked the 3DS version up.
I couldn't even bring myself to finish it.
>>
>>333812650
What's wrong with it? I thought OoT 3D was pretty good.
>>
>>333812832

OoT 3D was a pretty faithful port, but MM 3D fucked with a lot of the mechanics.
>>
>>333812832
They changed all of the boss fights, Gyorg and Twinmold got exceptionally fucked up.
>>
>>333812339

I can see how someone would prefer MM to OoT as the things MM is good at, it is the best at in the series hands down, bar none. But yeah, it is not the Zelda for dungeonfags, which is odd as I consider myself one and think very highly of MM regardless.
>>
Why can't people just accept that the 3D version of MM is bad, like holy fuck just play the original because everyone loves it and if a remake is controversial then it means that one side legitimately has bad taste (normally the non-contrarian side) and the contrarian side has good reason to say it's worse.

This has always been a fact.
>>
>>333812903
You mean they actually made Twinmold a bit challenging?
>>
>>333811623
THATS exactly the reason why I've quit that game so early.
>>
>>333813052
No they made it tedious and awful.
>>
>>333812650
Trying to make it accessible to people who never played Zelda before is interesting considering how many people bitch about the big mean old timer and the game really does lack a tutorial on basic Zelda concepts that were introduced in Ocarina.

But so much of MM hinges on you having played OoT before (Even the N64 bosses/dungeons are slightly harder) that it seems like a wasted effort.
>>
>>333811207
Played it after playing Ocarina of Time and enjoyed Majora more. Majora just feels so much more emotional, open and alive than the linear Ocarina of Time.
>>
>>333813052
Stop. You're confusing OP and creating a false conflict that implies that the 3D version could possible be better, leaning OP in the direction that he will regret. Quit while you're ahead unless you're a genuinely terrible person.

>>333811623
>>333813060
Nigger if you couldn't beat MM in spite of its time limit, you are nothing more than a casual. MM is definitely the most challenging 3D zelda but it's still not that hard.
>>
>>333813000
Literally never true.
90% of faggots complain about "waah waah muh source material" even if the game/movie/book/whatever is near-identical, or superior in every way.

You can't please fans, so don't even try.

I'm not saying MM 3D was good, just saying your argument is fucking shit.
>>
>>333813091
>They added a signpost at the start of the game which tells you how to move and read signs
>It's impossible to read unless you know how to move and read signs
>>
>>333811623
>forces you to lose progress

maybe if you git gud you wouldn't lose any progress.
>>
>>333813218
La-mulana and REmake are unanimously hailed as better than the originals, with the contrarians being in the 1%. In film, Little Shop of Horrors is better than the original.

In MM3D's case, the contrarians are atleast 30-50%.

So yes, the argument is right.
>>
>>333813192
Hun are you dumb, MM is as linear as you get
>>
>>333811623
>>333813060
>Hating on a game for having an actually threatening villain and antagonist in a videogame that has a dynamic affect on the player.
What's it like to be cancer?
>>
File: linklarge_460.jpg (40 KB, 460x345) Image search: [Google]
linklarge_460.jpg
40 KB, 460x345
majora's mask is the first shitty aonuma linear zelda

play it just for the lore
>>
>>333813335
The only actual non-linear part of OoT is that you can choose whether to do the Spirit Temple or Shadow Temple first.
>>
>>333813335
>If it's linear that means it's not open.
No, GTAV is linear but it's still open.

>>333813361
Isn't Zelda 2 the first linear zelda? And then LTTP is also linear, and OoT is linear.. and MM is prolly the least linear of the prior releases sans 1.
>>
>>333813361
>Linear
>Never watched a speedrun of the game
It's hilariously non-linear
>>
>>333813214
>Nigger if you couldn't beat MM in spite of its time limit, you are nothing more than a casual.
No, I didn't even try to beat the game, I've literally quit as soon as I've arrived in the village. The timer was a boner instant kill. In any RPG, I just take my time to explore, to look around before I tackle any quests. And that time put a pressure on me to being the quest as soon as possible.
>>
>>333813361

>MM is linear.
>OoT is not.
???
>>
>>333813414
Pretty sure you can also do the Fire Temple without the longshot, and the Water Temple without the hammer.
>>
File: 1460188448272.jpg (179 KB, 1129x428) Image search: [Google]
1460188448272.jpg
179 KB, 1129x428
>>333813425
>>333813445
>muh masks subquests make it non-linear
>>
>>333811207
Yes, you fucking faggot. Its just as good as Ocarina of Time, if not way better because of the surreal and creepy atmosphere.

Just emulate the game. You'll beat it in like a week, or maybe a little longer if you do all the side quests. The real meat of this game is the shit load of sidequests
>>
>>333813478

>Zelda
>RPG

Aside from Zelda II the series as a whole barely qualifies as an RPG. Coincidentally MM is probably the second closest due to its emphasis on sidequesting.
>>
File: 1453440255120.png (447 KB, 750x810) Image search: [Google]
1453440255120.png
447 KB, 750x810
>>333813478
>HAVING A THREATENING AND DYNAMIC ANTAGONIST IN AN INTERACTIVE VIDEOGAME IS A BONER KILL
>I LITERALLY HAVE ADD

XDDD
>>
>>333813478
So here's what I did as a kid.

>Want to explore
>Slow time
>Explore for three days
>Bank rupees
>Reset
>Slow time
>Progress the game

It's not hard to figure that out
>>
>>333811207
It's a shit Zelda game in terms of the "Zelda formula." Everything to do with dungeons, from getting to them to beating them (outside of Goht's fight) sucks dick. In terms of everything else, it's the best, though the 3 day system is love it or hate it.
>>
>>333813478
You're an idiot. It's literally impossible to get anywhere CLOSE to the end of the third day while playing the game. The only time you might do that is the Kafei quest but that's only because it's required to do specific events over several days.

>>333813545
That's not linearity that's variety, and MM has way more of it than OT.
>>
>>333811623
>a rehash of Ocarina
Majora's Mask is so different to Ocarina in every way apart from reuse of assets it's not even funny.
>>
>>333813361
I like Pychonauts but I think Tim Schafer is the king of hacks.

Does that make me a hypocrite?
>>
>>333813658
>Take a basic enemy from OoT
>Put a mask on him
>Now he's the final boss of MM
>>
>>333813342
Mm doesnt have a thrwtening villian you fucking retard, thats one of its biggest problems. Everything it tries to concey is nullified by the fact that you have a get out of jail option whenever you want. Its literally impossible to lose in MM, you can just go back in time whenever you want. Its a fucking joke.

>>333813425
Gta5 is a fucking open workd game. You cant even access areas in mm without the story progressing and the game allowing you too. So bam, your dumb ass arguement is out the window.
>>
I honestly love when people play MM for the first time, it's a masterpiece.

I just hate the existence of the 3D version because that makes people play an inferior version for the first time
>>
>>333813624
The dungeons are some of the most challenging and interesting in the series.

And Odolowlwoowla's fight is cool because you don't have to just USE ITEM.
>>
>>333813725
>You can't even access areas in mm without story progressing
Uh.. actually progression is controlled by item progression. You don't actually have to complete dungeons to access new dungeons, you just need to get the item from the dungeon.
>>
>>333813789
Yeah I never understood the hate for Odolwa's fight. It's one of the few boss fights in the entire series with no special gimmick, you just have to hit and not get hit.
>>
>>333813721
I can't even think of what enemy you're talking about

But regardless, in terms of structure, tone, story and shit like transformation masks, Majora is totally different to OOT. It's the black sheep of the series whereas OOT is the quintessential Zelda.
>>
>>333813725
>MM doesn't have a threatening villain you fucking retard
>Literally puts a time limit on the game because after time is up the world ends.
Also, every time you go back in time, you technically lose, you retard, because you couldn't complete the game in that timeline.
>>
tired of obvious troll threads like this

guarantee that OP has played both OoT and MM heavily and just wants to stir up Zelda debate bullshit
>>
>>333813624

Majora's Mask's dungeons are great. The first temple is nothing special, but Snowhead had a great gimmick and a fun boss. And Stone Tower is my favourite dungeon in all Zelda.
>>
>Change fish boss to make him annoying as hell
>Change swimming mechanics so you can't even deal with it properly

Fuck the 3DS desu
>>
>>333813872
People hate on that fight?
>>
OoT is to MM as fallout 3 is to new vegas. Same art assets, same gameplay, vastly different games. Ones adored by the masses the other is a cult hit.
>>
OP here, been afk

Read through and I'll give it a go, I do remember doing one run then the timer restarted and I just thought fuck that shit, I was much younger then and less patient than I am now. Downloading the rom as I type this and I'll give it a good run and see where it takes me.

I like the darker element to it, so hopefully can take to it a bit better this time round.
>>
File: 1052tqr.gif (2 MB, 640x272) Image search: [Google]
1052tqr.gif
2 MB, 640x272
>>333813725
>Mm doesnt have a thrwtening villian you fucking retard
>>
Snowhead>stone tower> the swamp one >>> great bay
>>
>>333813917
I haven't - well in fact if you read my above comment, I do now recall actually playing it for about an hour or so and got fucked off with it so didn't bother playing anymore, this was many years ago, just remember there was a clock in the town you start in and that's it.
>>
>>333814117
>>333814015

If you manage not to fuck up the first cycle again, I think you'll enjoy it.
>>
>>333814116

Great Bay > Stone Tower > Woodfall > Snowhead

Not even shitting you, I'm a massive faggot for Zora Link.
>>
The only people I know who like Ocarina of Time but not Majora's Mask are people who are so retarded they can't figure out how to utilize the 3 day cycle.
>>
>>333814165
I'll play it blind to start but if I'm not getting anywhere I'll pussy out and use a guide to get me going.
>>
>>333813478
You're one of those terrible people that doesn't give a game a chance before passing judgement. The first three days serve as the tutorial, you're locked into figuring shit out and setting up the mechanics. Once you get through the first setback you can do whatever you please as long as you remember to reset before the moon falls.

I can't tell you how many times I did shit like what >>333813603
is talking about. I repeated so many quests endlessly and dicked around the world so much. I loved it. I know the first two days of the Couple's Mask quest like the back of my hand.

You're allowed to not like things, but you're absurd if you think that it's okay to judge a game without actually playing it.
>>
>>333814116
Stone Tower>Woodfall>Great Bay>Snowhead
>>
>>333813721
>Happy Mask Salesman was just a random sidequest guy in Ocarina
>Masks were a little easter egg
>Deku Scrubs only real distinction was being one of the few enemies (Besides Poe's) who had dialogue
>Song of Time just moved Blocks

And probably more
>>
>>333814356

If you haven't figured out what you're supposed to do to get atop Clock Tower by the end of the second day I'd get a guide.
>>
File: deku jump.webm (3 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
deku jump.webm
3 MB, 640x480
>post yfw you figured out how to do this
>>
>>333814220
Nothing beats goron link for me, I could roll around the field all day erryday.
Spirit > fire > gerudo puzzle thing > forest > ice cave > water > poe hunting > biggarons sword > lodging the cartridge firmly into anus>>> shadow
>>
>>333814550

We talking OoT now?

Shadow > Spirit > Forest > Water > Fire
>>
>>333814480
If you can't manage to figure this out without a guide, consider finding a new hobby. Video games aren't for you.
>>
>>333814709

Apparently some people are challenged by Zelda game logic so whatever.
>>
>>333814220

I personally believe that Stone Tower is overrated. The concept is cool as fuck, the music is the best, but the design of the dungeon leaves a lot to be desired. It doesn't seem like it at first, but it's actually extremely linear (if you don't get the fairies). The dungeon is more or less a straight path all the way through.

I would say that Snowhead and Great Bay are objectively, better designed. Snowhead with the concept of the pillar that ascends and descends made for an interesting positioning puzzle. And Great Bay had two cool concepts: the switching gears, and using ice arrows to create platforms.
>>
>>333814509

I still haven't managed to do it, even after reading how. Sort of like how in OoT you can change a butterfly into a fairy with a deku stick, but I've never done that either.
>>
>>333814764
>Press C-up
>The tsundere fairy literally tells you what you should be doing
>Still can't figure out what to do
>>
>>333814608
>We talking OoT now?
If you wan to.
Spirit temple is the last temple.
>>
>>333814608
Alright now we have to fight. Is this what you wanted? The best part of any of the dungeons in my opinion, is the hub room. Spirit doesn't have one that much, the room with the statue sort of counts I guess. But the rest of them have a solid, singular room where you get to the rest of the dungeon. Except for the shadow temple which is just an obstacle course of silver rupees and invisible shit waiting to game you.

Dodongos > under the well > deku > the cdi games in their entirety > jabu
>>
>>333814770
Snowhead is really fun. yeah it's a generic Ice Cave dungeon but I get a hadron from it anyway.

But Great Bay can go get fucked, even if the Mechanical thing was sort of neat.
>>
File: i see it but i don't feel it.png (16 KB, 200x300) Image search: [Google]
i see it but i don't feel it.png
16 KB, 200x300
>>333814857

Apparently some people are challenged by Zelda game logic.
>>
>>333814709
As I say, I was very young at the time and simply impatient.

I've played and completed a number of RPGs in their entirety, I'd say possibly the most challenging was Excalibur 2 in FF9 (done on the original PS1) and most time consuming was killing all dark aeons and penance in FF10.

I once beat a swarm of Japanese people on Tekken 5 also. My most rewarding gaming moment of all time.

Oh I was also in the number 1 squad worldwide out of 120,000 squads in Ghost Recon Future Solider and had 2 top 100 tags for Pro Evo 2010.
>>
>>333814932

>The best part of any of the dungeons in my opinion, is the hub room.

That seems arbitrary to me. I like Shadow most because of the aesthetic and hover boots/eye of truth fuckery.

Under The Well > Dodongo's > Deku > Jabu

Jabu's not that bad, though. Worst dungeon in the game, yes. Still not that bad.
>>
>>333814770
Snowheads my favorite but if we're talking linearity then it's probably the most straight forward. Climb the tower, punch the pillar, roll to the side, clear a room, repeat. Great bay deserves the hate the water temple gets
>>
>>333815097
What did you play GRFS on?
>>
>>333815303
PS3, you?
>>
>>333814220
Zora Link was loads of fun but the dungeon is a mess or whirlpools and Gyorg is awful.
>>
>>333815156
First floor/s are fairly complex. It gets more straightforward as you get higher up.
>>
>>333815374
Xbox
>>
>>333815121
Jabu holds a weird spot for me, the minibosses are fun but falling through the floor and potentially having to backtrack is anxiety inducing. I always had my brother play it for me when we were kids but he was shit at the horse races so it worked out haha. Have a good night m80
>>
>>333815445
Ah nice, my record was 82 kills in a 15 minute game : D
>>
>>333815509
Fuck that's impressive if true, I've never seen anyone get more than ~60 and I played it for nearly 2-3 years
>>
>>333815381
Original gyorg or new gyorg?
>>
>>333815156

if you decide not to get the fairies in stone tower, there is literally only two parts where you have to decide where to go

>as soon as you enter the temple, you go left. keep going through the series of rooms until you get the light arrow
>after turning the temple upside down, its a straight path until the room with the spikes hanging from the ceiling

and even then you realize pretty quickly if you need to go the other direction. And im not simplifying it: go back and play it for yourself.
>>
>>333815591
Original. Haven't played the remake.
>>
>>333814608
That's a pretty good order. The problem is I enjoy all of them in their own way so it's hard to say one is "better" than another. That's the beauty of zelda. The forest temple has my favorite atmosphere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huN376F3QTg
>>
>>333815121
under the well? really? the invisible floors pissed me off more than anything...
>>
>>333815381

I don't mind the dungeon so much either. If anything I wish its visual design were a bit less drab but the current shifting is interesting, ice arrow platforming was neat and the lilypad Deku Babas fucked my shit up as a kid, which is weird considering that Redeads and Gibdos didn't.
>>
>>333815903

Shadow's my favorite dungeon in the entire series. Under The Well is like a young Link teaser version of it.
>>
Here's why I like the temples in OoT more, and why I think they're the best: they felt like real places and thus were much more immersive.

I realize that a lot of it is just my imagination, but I think the design helps it. Fire Temple feels like a place of worship where they put sacrifices in the jail cells, Spirit Temple also feels like a place of worship way on the edge of the desert, Shadow Temple seems like a burial ground/torture chamber. Forest Temple is an eerie abandoned castle in a remote part of the forest with cool courtyards.

With MM, what do you have? The temples dont seem to have any logical purpose or construction, they feel just like gamespaces, they dont let me imagine they are for any purpose other than US, whereas in OoT it really felt like they were there for hundreds/thousands of years.
>>
File: Bongo_Bongo.png (544 KB, 1400x600) Image search: [Google]
Bongo_Bongo.png
544 KB, 1400x600
>>333815903
Under the Well would have been neat if it connected to Shadow somehow. Bothered the shit out of me that Shadow Temple was just a longer well.

Cool Boss though.
>>
The time limit is valid for the original Japanese N64 version only. The game doesn't even keep count of how many times you've reset in other versions.
>>
OFFICIAL SUPERPRO OOT AND MM DUNGEONS POWER RANKINGS

1. Stone Tower
2. Shadow
3. Deku Tree
4. Ikana Castle
5. Spirit
6. Forest
7. Deku Tree
8. Snowhead
9. Great Bay Skull House
10. Ice Cavern
11. Ganondorf's Tower
12.Great Bay Temple
13. Under the Well
14. Swamp Temple
15. Dodongo Cavern
16. Fire Temple
17. Water Temple
18. Swamp Skull House
19. Gerudo Puzzle Maze
20. Anything I may have missed
>>
>>333811207
MM is the worst zelda by far
>>
>>333816767
Your opinion is wrong.
>>
>>333816804
My opinion is backed by facts: it's the worst selling 3D zelda
>>
>>333815121
Under the Well was spooky as shit, who the fuck decided that should go in the game?
>>
>>333816960
McDonald's is the best restaurant out there
>>
File: Goron_Link.png (113 KB, 327x445) Image search: [Google]
Goron_Link.png
113 KB, 327x445
BASS START
>>
>>333817245
KING KONG
>>
For someone who sucks dick at playing most video games Majora's mask (especially for 3ds) is enjoyable, but challenging throughout. Ocarina of time is a near flawless game in my opinion, especially of the Zelda series. If you enjoyed Ocarina of Time, you'll definitely enjoy Majora's mask, but be prepared to be confused and struggling through the storyline. AGAIN, I SUCK AT MOST VIDEO GAMES.
>>
I personally prefer it over OOT because I'm a big fan of the mask collecting stuff. The mask collecting adds a lot of side objectives to do and it's fun figuring out how to get certain masks.

But honestly, the games are very similar. If you really like open worlds filled with a lot of side quests, you'd like Majora's Mask.
Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.