[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this the right place to ask questions about the plot of deus
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: Deus_ex_1600_1440x1080.jpg (137 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
Deus_ex_1600_1440x1080.jpg
137 KB, 1440x1080
Is this the right place to ask questions about the plot of deus ex?

I finished it recently and felt confused by the execution and direction for many plot elements.

For example, was was the relevance of Icarus and Daedalus to the games plot? Sure, they form Helios. But their early game individual interactions seems quite patchy. Similarly, what was Bob Page's Actual motivations? What was the significance of his and Walton Simon's Clone in Area 51? Is the MIB you fight in this area JC's clone? etc
>>
>>333808324

Play The Nameless Mod. There's a character in that which analyzes the plot in great detail.
>>
>>333808459
you're talking about the fanfiction librarian right

unfortunately TNM has voice acting that makes me very irate. So I would prefer just to read the transcripts online
>>
>>333808584

I'm curious what you mean by "irate". I never had a problem with it.
>>
>>333808786
poor quality, lack of intonation and generally silly written scripting. I don't like listening to it,like nails on a challkboard

I am currently playing, but it's very hard to get into when everything in the setting is a self-aware joke
>>
>>333808941

i've never heard of this mod and i just googled it. the wikipedia page is making me cringe, I don't think could handle the real game.

i loved deus ex but god damn this shit is horrible.

>"Trestkon, a retired intelligence agent, is called back to duty by the government because of a missing moderator, Deus Diablo."

what the christ
>>
>>333808941

I let the inside-jokes slide given the unique nature of the universe they inhabit. It's definitely on the silly side, but it does establish the setting well.

I mean, it takes place in a virtual manifestation of a now-deceased Deus Ex fansite. The voice acting and writing is as good as its going to get.
>>
It's all there in the numbers.

Number 1: That's terror
>>
>>333809363

The mod itself is basically a whole new Deus Ex game, and the quality is definitely on-par with the base game. If you can get past how stupid the plot sounds its a good time.
>>
>>333809363
Yep. The initial premise is very hard to accept, especially given every character you meet seems to be based off a forum personality who then voices them. Whereas DE had big themes and ideas, the conversation trees and passerby talk is frankly inane. The urban maps are big (think Paris) but there's practically nothing to do in them so that's also a thing

but on the plus side, some of the combat maps are solidly done and there is a lot of potential stuff to find

>>333809514
I'm not saying it isn't a good effort, as far as mods go I'll take any. But I really needed a break before returning to this ...setting
>>
>>333809596

Number 2: That's terror.
>>
File: That is my life.jpg (123 KB, 522x418) Image search: [Google]
That is my life.jpg
123 KB, 522x418
>>333808324
>Icarus and Daedalus
Daedalus was experimental AI that Everett made for world domination/data gathering purposes. It got "smart" and fucked off, telling itself all organisations like illuminati and NSF are terrrorists and should be avoided. Also it likes freedom of information since it is pure information itself. It feels threatened by Page&co and decides to help JC.
Icarus is made by MJ12 but actually has a leash on it. It only rebels after the merge.
>actual motivations
World control? Even controlling Area 51 he is vulnerable, or can't do as he pleases everywhere (hong kong as an example, NY as an example of a forced hand with riots and shit)
>significance of clones
Dunno, it seems every game that has cloning mentioned in it has at least a single clone of the bad guys in it just to cover potential continuation. Even if it does not make much sense as clones don't retain memories.
>Is MiB you fight in area 51 JC's clone?
No.
>>
File: c0139575_22585340.gif (204 KB, 480x665) Image search: [Google]
c0139575_22585340.gif
204 KB, 480x665
Daedalus is just the AI that monitors all digital communication. He was programmed to identify terrorist groups and MJ12 itself was identified as one. Icarus was made to fix that mistake and make an AI more loyal to MJ2.

Bob Page usurped power from the Illuminati and basically he wants to use the Gray Death to control select people through ambrosia vaccine distributions and kill off the excess population. Considering most of Deus Ex is based off of real conspiracy theories, this is probably a reference to various supposed "NWO" plots to kill off the excess population of humanity, usually for the purpose of maintaining a sustainable population level with nature. The Georgia Guidestones are thought to be evidence of this plot, which is basically a monument comissioned by some anonymous rich guy that lays out guidelines for a making an "age of reason"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Guidestones
>>
>>333809961
I'm aware of the grey death plot, but the aquinas protocols and the Helios AI merger he seems to have been attempting are much more murky
>>
GMDX makes me hot and bothered, mm..
>>
>>333810486
once you play with mantling you really can't go back. DE standard jump mechanics seem so clunky

the 1-lockpick door perk however probably ruined my game experience. By the end I was able to break into every single locker I came across
>>
Do you think Adam will work with or fund the NSF?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCkNwllUOQY
1:14 and 1:42 minutes me think so.

Look how organized they are.
>>
>>333810685
What year does the game take place in, anyway?
>>
>>333811071
2 years after HR, 2029
>>
>>333811208
Huh, yeah, I think that's plausible.
>>
>>333811671
The more I think about it the more it makes sense.

>mankind divided
>world split in half
>secessionist force
>>
>>333811853
Well, they're still 'New sons of freedom'. National secessionist force starts up in 2031.
>>
>there will never be a game as reactive to your gameplay decisions as deus ex for the forseeable future
>>
>>333812209
I wish for this too.

The way you behave should determine how the story goes , not necessarily dialogue boxes.

At least Edios learned and promised no "pick your favorite flavor" ending for MD.
>>
>>333808941
Yeah i couldn't really get into it really
I stopped playing when you get the dual golden pistols at the gun shop with the kid
It's like it's not taking itself seriously but is at the same time
>>
>>333809793
>tfw I realized I'm gonna be one of the old hobos sitting around a barrel fire dying of the grey death and talking about the old days
>>
>>333813449
I'll be chilling with my hobo bro at the free clinic.
>>
>>333808324
>plot of deus ex?
its shit
>>
>>333811208
>2029

So close yet no augments, only the shit part will become true i guess
>>
>>333812467
Eidos Montreal seemed to gain a lot of goodwill after HR... Then thi4f happened
>>
>>333814263
Fucking THIAF, it makes me really reserved for MD.
>>
>>333813663
nice meme
>>
>>333810685
The NSF hated augs so I doubt it.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.