[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Final Fantasy IX
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
Does this game still hold up? Downloaded it onto my PSP yesterday for nostalgias sake but I haven't played it yet....Years ago I played it and got pretty far,I think I was somewhere in disc 3 and I remember loving it,is it as good as I remember or is it just nostalgia talking?
>>
File: 1443238816907.gif (2 MB, 378x284) Image search: [Google]
1443238816907.gif
2 MB, 378x284
>>333807576
I love. I try to play a different combination of people each time I play it. Zidane Freya Eiko and Amarant are my favorite pairing
>>
>>333807576
It holds up.

Just started a new game tonight.
>>
>>333807576
Yes. I played it a few years ago and it was pretty good (I never owned a console, so I couldn't play it when it was released).
>>
>>333807576
It's one of my favorite games. I love every aspect of it and I think it still holds up today. If anything, the battles might be more on slow side. Even slower than you might remember but that's the only issue the game has, if you could even call it that.
>>
>>333807576
Dunno, I'm playing through it on iOS at the moment and I'm forcing myself through it.

My main irritation is the side quests. The card game is literally pointless, there's nothing to gain, it's only necessary to win the tournament in Treno and then it's absolutely pointless - such a drastic step back from Triple Triad, which was incredible and could make great differences to characters with the Card refine ability.

Music's great. Story is fairly average. Character development is basic but no major complaints. Trance is stupid because can't be saved. The main super boss Ozma is essentially random whether you'll beat him or not. There are no memorable or notable towns or villages, if you compare to other games in the series.

It's good, but it's not great.
>>
I ship Zidane and Freya
>>
>>333807576
It holds up, but the battles take forever to load on the PSP. It makes winning the Lindblum hunt a crapshoot.

It's fun. It really feels like a gigantic globe-spanning adventure and revisiting all the old cliches so genuinely gives it a bit of a timeless quality I think.
>>
File: 1459987804383.jpg (43 KB, 752x407) Image search: [Google]
1459987804383.jpg
43 KB, 752x407
Where the fuck is that Steam version???
>>
>>333808532
Just emulate
>>
It's in my top 5 games of all time. I played through the android version last month and everything I liked about is in still intact. Don't want to write too much on it, I just think it has a lot of love and details put into it. The design, the characters and the story are a matter of taste.

You might want to play the new version for steam/iOS/android. It has faster loading and you can fast forward the slow battles.
>>
Awesome,nice to know it's still considered a good game.
>>
It is a completionist's nightmare though because it opens with a bunch of extremely frustrating minigames with unique loot, introduced random pixel hunt items, Tetra Master being shit, and Excalibur II.
>>
File: final ass 9.jpg (180 KB, 1398x580) Image search: [Google]
final ass 9.jpg
180 KB, 1398x580
IX was a bad Final Fantasy. It had absolutely terrible equipment, skill, and ability systems that allowed no room for players to shape their characters in any way. The trance system going off outside of your control was even worse designed than VIII's limit spamming. The combat was slow and boring and the only interesting mechanic AT ALL was the dynamic between Steiner and Vivi, and it didn't really add anything to the game at all. It had a terribly boring setting that's only praised by "classic fans" because it didn't emphasize sci-fi, completely disregarding that Final Fantasy has used sci-fi elements from the start of the series. Your cast consisted of characters like Freya who were completely forgotten by the plot after their usefulness to the story was up, characters like Quina who basically just showed up whenever the game felt you needed a 4th party member and didn't do ANYTHING of any relevance, and characters like Amarant who I'm still trying to figure out why he was added to the game. The protagonist and antagonist being "space alien grim reaper brothers" is by far the worst plot twist in the series, much worse than either the orphanage in VIII or "You're a dream Teedus" could ever hope to be.

The worst part of all? In a series that's known for its innovation in its genre, Final Fantasy IX bitched out and actively BACKTRACKED to boring, outdated, mechanics. At least the early games it was a callback to were innovations of their time like the ATB system in IV, and at least for the PSX titles VII, VIII, and Tactics all tried to do new things with turn-based RPGs, storytelling, and world building even if it didn't please everyone- whereas IX actively decided to say fuck that, and appeal to idiots who want video games to stagnate.

It was boring and had nothing unique going for it. In fact, nothing about the game is particularly memorable. It has no sense of identity for itself and just takes after previous titles.
>>
>>333809271
Thanks for your opinion,I'm sorry you feel that way but you could have spoilered the "space alien grim reaper brothers part".
>>
>>333809687
It's ancient petrified copypasta.
>>
>>333809271

The funny thing about seeing FF9 jerked so hard on /v/ is that when it came out all I ever saw was people shitting on it.

Especially the random battles and how infuriatingly frequent they are, going maybe 1-2 steps and then getting dragged into another boring random battle, complete with the long ass intro/outro sequence. Yet, no-one complains about that at all anymore.

At most you'll see someone complain that most of the party members added nothing to the game and having them fuck off with all your items was frustrating.

Or how ridiculous/terrible the reveal for the last boss was
>>
>>333809932
I really don't mind the random battles. Didn't mind it as a kid with no attention span, don't mind it now. Never paid much mind to the reception as a kid. I barely knew anyone else with a Playstation, and didn't bother with magazine reviews or anything because back then, I thought Squaresoft could do no wrong. One of the reasons I like /v/ is because they like FFIX and Majora's Mask, which were the games I'd always gush over as akid.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.