[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Difficulty Done Right
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 124
Thread images: 14
Is DOSEE the best example of difficulty levels done right in vidya?

>Explorer
Great for self-aware casuals, or those completely new to the genre. Makes first-time players feel good about themselves while learning the mechanics. Enemies never batter too hard, thanks to the more frustrating spells being taken away from them.

>Classic
The training wheels come off, all enemies now fight with the abilities they would normally have, the rookie has to think and plan a little now. Despite that he's given a little extra health to make the game a little more fuck-up proof.

>Tactician
If Classic was taking the training wheels from a regular bike, Tactician mode is like riding a unicycle. All enemies get a greatly expanded number of abilities and will prey on the weak mercilessly, while expecting you to do the same.

>Honor
At this point you're not even given a unicycle, you're just given the wheel to balance on. All actions here are permanent, you only get one save and if the entire party dies its game over. A mode designed for only the top-most of veterans as all enemies also pack 20% better stats.
>>
>>333806992
Plenty of games use this kind of system. Like a certain one that people love to use to shitpost Divinity threads.

I enjoy the game, but it's difficulty settings weren't anything out of the ordinary.
>>
File: 1448236177599.png (10 KB, 429x410) Image search: [Google]
1448236177599.png
10 KB, 429x410
>>333807287

Really? I'd really like to know what games do it this well because I could totally see myself playing more of them.

I really liked how almost every single battle played out drastically differently from difficulty to difficulty.

You'd be surprised how much more spooky a skeletons get when they pack 3 different arrows.

>early game on Tactician mode
>>
Bump?
>>
>>333806992
I'm playing this with a buddy, on Classic. It feels way harder than it should. We're level 5 and the slightest misstep often results in a TPK. I cannot keep Madora not on-fire.
>>
>>333808234
Starting levels are brutal because you are fighting undead which are strong against any melee that isn't blunt.

If you are having trouble with fire, use jahans rain, it'll put it out. Or cold touch, if warm or higher it wont freeze, just take it down a status level.
>>
>>333808234

It gets a LITTLE easier when your party starts coming into their own in a level or two, but DOS is never forgiving. Even on Classic it'll beat your ass from start to finish if you let it.

Have you cleared the lighthouse yet? And that's not a spoiler if you haven't by the way, it's just the first REAL difficulty spike in the game.
>>
>>333808365
>tfw fighting the boss under the church for the first time

It was radical and infuriating at the same time
>>
File: Fuck this.png (75 KB, 581x330) Image search: [Google]
Fuck this.png
75 KB, 581x330
>>333808464
Me and my friend had a little shock about it

>"I got a bad feeling about this" Friend
>"Don't worry mate, we managed to win most boss fights even we were almost dead" Anon
>Enter Door
>Cast Meteor
>mfw
>>
File: 1457118236993.jpg (299 KB, 820x706) Image search: [Google]
1457118236993.jpg
299 KB, 820x706
>doing real well early-game
>take my time, plan shit out
>find two guardsmen mumbling about some lighthouse
>remember I had a quest tasking me to go there
>as I approach the lighthouse more and more bodies of guardsmen all around me
>see pic related
>this looks interesting!
>theFunStopsHere.jpg

Am I shit or is it SUPPOSE to be this difficult? I was doing well against the skellies, but this is a whole different tier.
>>
>Difficulty increases amount of enemies
>Makes the game piss easy by mid-point because you outlevel anything

Nice difficulty yeah n i c e
>>
>>333808828
>increases amount of enemies

But it doesn't though? It's the exact SAME amount of enemies that (if I recall) pay slightly LESS experience.
>>
>>333808886
But it does though?
>>
>>333808364
Ooh, didn't know freezing touch could remove burning. I'll keep that in mind. I'm playing an Enchanter so I already have Rain and Freezing touch. Also picked up Firefly and teleport.

>>333808365
We actually didn't have much trouble with lighthouse thanks to steam arrow + bolt stunning half the enemies and preventing ranged attacks from the rest.

I'm also getting better at using Madora now that I realize her advantage is being a keeper and not a striker. Opportunitst is awesome, and keeping near the casters means she doesn't have to worry about pathing.

Anyone know a good Save Editor? I bought Madora a point in Geomancy only for all her buffs to have a chance to fail.
>>
>>333809139

My mind has fallen prey to the rhetoric wolf that is your argument.
>>
>>333808796

This fucker is definitely a wall early on.

I actually left him alone until I'd done some other stuff, like clearing out the graveyard cave, and doing the fire/poison caves.
>>
>>333806992
One thing I'd like them to fix in the sequel is itemization. I still think BG2 has the best in any game.
>>
Playing through Tactician after I played the original years ago. Doing a pretty cookie cutter Crossbow Marksman/Scoundrel & Hydrosophist/Witch/Geomancer Lone Wolf run. Marskman has zombie trait.

going Honor mode is fucking retarded because there's a few combinations of RNG that can completely wipe your party. Like in >>333808743 the meteor aoe area is really dependent on where you talk with the boss so if the boss initiates the dialogue while you're close to a wall, you will get hit by most of the fireballs which does such an absurdly high amount of damage it will wipe your guys even if they're above 1k-1.5k hp.
>>
>>333809397
I literally just started playing tactician yesterday and hes right. The two guards you run into have a dog, the first orc fight has an extra orc and like two/three more cultists.

if it continues like that the exp curve would probably give you an extra like two levels by the church.
>>
I kinda' liked it because there was nothing on tactician mode that felt like cheesing, you know?

And when you're in that mindset the game not only gets more fun, but you also start to think very differently.

For example the "Teleport" spell that moves an opponent and does a little damage is not longer just for enemies.

Moving your heavy hitter next to the fragile caster with Teleport then having them use all their AP on attacks is a great move that still hurts less than tanking the casters blasts.

Moving enemies really far away, forcing them to expunge a lot of AP to get back to the fight is another good one.

Placing enemy archers out of LOS of everything to force them to run around and shit saved me on multiple occasions.
>>
>>333808828
Nope

Tactician versus babby mode doesn't spawn the electro-zombies that will push your shit in if you go to the desolate farms through the gates by the harbor
>>
Has anyone done a double lone wolf run? I'm in the middle of one right now. It just feels like the right way the game should be played from a story perspective.

Though I'm really starting to regret choosing two physical units.
>>
>>333809802

A friend of mine ran Tacticool with 2 archers, the blond archer chick and the kebak-mage a while ago and let's just say it didn't go very well.
>>
>>333809802
If you do lone wolf you need to plan ahead (or savescum like a faggot) about what skills you want your characters to go into. There's a point in the game where you can respecc, but its about halfway through and you unlearn all your skills so you have to repurchase every skill book
>>
>>333809802
What units are you running?
>>
>>333809260
From what I've found theres no save editor for the EE because the save structure is different but Cheat Engine is functional.
>>
>>333810119
An archer and a scoundrel dual wielder because I wanted to try a new weapon after playing the original way back.

I'm at the spider queen and my tactic is pretty much pray to charm their most OP unit while my dual wielder does nothing but eat up damage.
>>
Are shadowblades ass or am I playing it wrong. Only level 4 but I don't feel I contribute anything to fights.
>>
Is tactician worth playing for a first timer?
Got past the tutorial and past the guards. Frustrating knowing one wrong move will lead to death. My wizard is the only one doing shit currently.

I don't want to experience a lower difficulty if it makes the battles a cakewalk after you get your builds going though.
>>
>Not just stunlocking every single enemy by dual wielding water + lightning wands

It's that easy
>>
File: 1444266064610.png (8 KB, 64x64) Image search: [Google]
1444266064610.png
8 KB, 64x64
>Don't worry casuals. Spiderbro's here to save you in the early-game!
>>
>>333812318
>Spiders are god tier until you get armored skeletons
>Skeletons are god tier forever

Also holy god Nick is tanky as fuck.
>>
>all animals fucking run all over the place
>have to spend ages trying to target them

FOR WHAT PURPOSE
>>
>Realize poison explodes
>Realize elements actually heal you if you have over 100% resistance
>Realize Witchcraft has a 50% damage buff for 3 AP
>Roll Warrior/Pryo/Witch, Pyro/Geo/Witch
>Charge in and explode myself all over shit.

And then the game was over.
>>
>>333813685
>it's an Allah run
>>
>>333813685
How do you get 100+ fire resistance? Potion spam?
>>
>>333813935
>Wind up bomb summons 2 inches in front of your unit
>Enemy will always target it before it has a chance to move
>Resort to kamikaze running my ass into the middle of the enemy to get a good bomb off
>>
File: 1431333340806.gif (3 MB, 240x320) Image search: [Google]
1431333340806.gif
3 MB, 240x320
>>333814152
http://divinity.wikia.com/wiki/Fire_Shield

If your int is high enough, you can cast it before it wears off. +50 fire resist and a damage shield for your fire-god warrior.

Was a shitload of fun. Plus, with a warrior's resistance to knockdown, you can cast all those shakey Geomancer spells and knock everything down into the fire. It's so satisfying.

Will probably do a dex party next with ranger/scoundrel, because arrows are hilariously great, and scoundrel abilities turn you into a murderbot.

There are a LOT of OP builds, but the game never gets boring. One of the best games to come out in a long time.
>>
>>333806992
>as all enemies also pack 20% better stats.
So it's a shit difficulty then.
>>
>>333814512
>Summon bomb
>Infest bomb
>Teleport bomb
>Allah meets aliens
>>
File: Anderson.png (860 KB, 887x1097) Image search: [Google]
Anderson.png
860 KB, 887x1097
>Summon poison slug
>It has 2300 hp
>>
>>333814585
It's definitely better than other games that give 100% stats increase while you gain malus
>>
Man, Cyseal really bombards you with quests. It needs a bit better pacing imo.
>>
>>333815251
That argument has more holes than a fine gorgombert
>>
D:OS is fucking shit, fuck off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbPDZsYcC5Y&nohtml5=False
>>
who cares if the writing is bad? they should just make tb action game and stop pretending it's a proper rpg in any way
>>
>>333815353
I'm not necessarily complaining but the completionist in me is screaming.
>>
File: 1567534543.gif (45 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1567534543.gif
45 KB, 480x270
>>333815419
>that intro
>>
>>333815419
>Expecting us to sit through 50 min of some autist's rant
Find your own opinion's, anon.
>>
>>333815419
>complaining the game is playing lose and mast with specific parts of the lore

1. Nobody played the first two Divinity games 2. Nobody actually cares about the story, setting and lore in these games.
>>
>>333815419
>THIS GAME IS IRREDEEMABLE SHIT
>first complaint: Ahru is not a female cat
>second complaint: Character portraits

I feel much better about my life, and /v/'s opinions suddenly feel much more reasonable.
>>
File: 13324203676223.jpg (212 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
13324203676223.jpg
212 KB, 1920x1080
I'm scared guys
>>
>>333816163
The narrative was the weakest part of OS. i wouldn't mind.
>>
>divinity
>mandatory perception checks to pass the game
>insanely cryptic and tedious storyline advancement, need a walkthrough if not autistic
>75% of all enemies will spam stuns/paralyzes/etc and will succeed most of the time, while yours kind of fails most of the time
>same for crits
>>
>>333816163
>Combat Evolved
Divinity 2 confirmed for FPS
>>
>>333816163
When?
>>
>>333806992
>Divinity
>Something done right
Pick one cuntfuck.
>>
Honor mode is the exact same as tactician with one save. Enemies don't have improved stats.

Also pickpocketing+walk in shadows, crowd control, and Hailstorm/Meteorstorm/Storm make many encounters a joke. Killed final boss in 2 or 3 turns by spamming hailstorm and meteorstorm
>>
btw did they nerf spellcasters have those OP nukes with auto-stuns and paralyses?

Geomancers having a basic spell that does tons of damage and auto-stuns is just retarded.

And are you literally just crafting blacksmith weapons everytime you level up because they beat story weapons by a huge margin?
>>
>>333817119
>Geomancers having a basic spell that does tons of damage and auto-stuns is just retarded
Boulder bash doesn't stun

>btw did they nerf spellcasters have those OP nukes with auto-stuns and paralyses?
CC is still unequivocally the best strategy up until level 12-15 or so

I never made weapons but I also used three mages and a tank so weapons didn't really help much. I just used what I found and used whetstone
>>
>>333816163
>mature

LGBT confirmed.
>>
>>333809574
You can move your other characters while in dialogue.
>>
>>333807530
Not sure but I think what >>333807287
was talking about is Pillar of Eternity. It has very similar difficulty settings, one of the differences is that you can choose to only have 1 save for the entire game even in easy or normal difficulty
>>
Started on Tactician straight away after I bought DOSEE last week. It's honestly a lot easier than I was expecting after reading threads on /v/.

After level ups I don't bother putting using any skill or stat points and gearing up with new equips until I start losing fights and then after I wear new equips and learn skills, the fight becomes too easy again for several levels.

The only really bullshit fight I've had so far was at the fiery skeleton place to the easy of Cyseal. A summoned wind elemental skipped his first three turns and then teleported three of my guys into those undouse-able hellfire pits that do 30K damage for 3 insta kills. That's got to be a bug in the AI programming right? What the fuck was that. If I was on honor mode I'd be frothing mad after that. How come AI don't have cooldowns on their teleport shit? That's some bullshit 'difficulty' I wasn't expecting from this game.

Anyway, I wish their was a harder mode that really forced me to min-max in this game. It's hard to believe this is the hardest.
>>
>woman who sells witchcraft doesn't have summon skeleton or summon armoured skeleton
>no apparant way to get her to restock items
fuck, I seem to recall there were ways to get vendors to restock their inventory in the original version when I played it. is this a coop issue or did they change this?
>>
>>333818829
I remember from a playthrough a while ago that vendors change their inventory and there's no way to revert it.

For instance, if you didn't by Dust Devil skill from the vendor (or start with it) within the first few levels, there was no way to get it throughout the rest of the game.

Idk if this has been fixed in EE.
>>
How is the "Willpower" stat determined in this game?
>>
>>333820204
I looked at the wiki for skills and it seems like they have removed a couple of skills, for instance dust devil and the marksman teleport/jump skill so they've certainly changed some things.
and I started a coop playthrough for the enhanced version a little while ago and some 12 hours inn the vendors haven't restocked once
>>
>>333820362
it's a skill that let's you resist certain status effects
>>
>>333820550

Oh neat, thanks! Not too experienced at these games. Is it a stat worth investing a few points in?
>>
The only thing I can't fucking stand about this game is that status effects you bring with you out of combat are all of a sudden in real-time.

And trying to find you heal while your tank's on her last limb tends to end up costing me a resurrection scroll.
>>
I've always wanted to finish this game but I can't stand playing games alone. The only people I have to play this game are always busy, so the game collects dust in my library.
>>
How well does it run on toasters?
>>
>>333821308

Very well. Put it all on low and it'll run on everything with a screen.
>>
>>333820690
depends a bit on how you play. if you're doing two lone wolf characters definitely. if you've got several characters with different status heals maybe not so much
>>
>>333818829
They reset every level up.
>>
>>333822296
they certainly don't in coop, I've checked that show several times over the last 4 levelups and it's still the same shit
>>
HEEHEE
READY TO BLOW
>>
>>333816735
>beat the game with 5 perception
>beat the game without using a walkthrough (where did you even have trouble? The murder mystery us supposed to be tricky, but even my casual as fuck gf managed it eventually)
>doesn't understand the effect of stats on skills and status effect saves

I know you're baiting, but if you can't figure this game out, rpgs may not be for you.
>>
>>333818826
summons don't always have the same numbers and cooldowns on their spells iirc. I've never seen them save up action points to spam spells though
>>
Is there a mod, cheat or whatever that lets you have every spell, like you used to be able to in the earlier version if you maxed your skill?
This is the only thing that stops me from playing the EE version. I'm a spell collector and it bothers me if I can't collect them all.
>>
I've clocked 200hrs in Div:OS, what a great fucking game. Is there anything else similar to play?
I meant actually good, not Wasteshit 2
>>
File: 20160411002313_1.jpg (696 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160411002313_1.jpg
696 KB, 1920x1080
Wow, what a fucking shit game. Where's the QC? How do they miss such a disastrous mistake like this?
>>
>>333824320
Try Tales of Maj Eyal. It's a roguelike but also has a ton of really crazy spells/abilites
>>
>>333824532
I've played every big RL there is senpai
>>
Are rogues still game breakers in EE? I literally no damaged the whole game with 1 rogue 1 mage amped on lone wolf
>>
>>333824602
Try Lords of Xulima then.
>>
>>333824701
Stealth in combat was massively nerfed so not anymore.
>>
>>333824320
NWN2 has some fun party based combat. And of course BG/IWD.
>>
i teleported braccus out of his room, lol. love when shit like this actually works
>>
>>333824487
How am I supposed to know where north east is, in a game where I can rotate the camera??!
>>
>>333824852
Look at your compass or map.
>>
>>333824852
>Compass in top right of the screen pointing north
>How I am supposed to know where north is
You might not be smart enough to play that game, just reroll your stats and put more point in INT
>>
>>333824852
this fucking retard
>>
Alright, I've got a question: Does the shit you sell to merchants ever go away or does it stay in their inventory forever?
>>
>>333825549
It stays forever. Sell everything to the painting merchant so you don't clutter the inventory of others.
>>
>>333825773
FUCKING HELL. My autism will not be appeased this day
>>
>>333825871
>>333825773

Fuck this is going to drive me insane. I've cluttered their inventories sooo fucking badly too.

Fuck.
>>
>>333824852

I genuinely hope you're having a laugh.
>>
>>333824741
>Lords of Xulima
best be joking nwn 2 guy
>>
File: 138337055687.png (163 KB, 459x379) Image search: [Google]
138337055687.png
163 KB, 459x379
>>333806992

what are those metaphors? holy fuck I like the game but come on with the shilling
>>
>>333822480
I just finished my honour play through of EE a few days ago and every level their inventory updated, it also scales to level.
>>
>>333829426
>they certainly don't in coop
>>
>>333829426
I'm still in the first town, but I've noticed that while their inventory does update, the skillbooks stay the same.
>>
>>333829584
Literally not one mechanic in the whole fucking game changes if you have a human partner instead of AI and they can drop in at any time.

You are wrong, simple as that.
>>
>>333829670
Because there are three tiers of skillbook merchants. If you buy one though, they will replenish the stock the next level. I do believe there is some degree of RNG to what books they carry but I'm not positive.
>>
>>333829726
Hey, I'm not him, but if the stores aren't updating their inventories every level up then they aren't for him.
They SHOULD, but his game might've bugged.
>>
>>333829986
I find it funny how people just think whenever someone says some wrong shit, their game is "bugged"

There's no "bug" that makes stores not update every level. He was just wrong, simple as that.

Post a video showing that the inventory doesn't update or fuck off
>>
>>333830273
>this specific thing hasn't happened to me so it literally cannot happen
Like I said, I'm not him and it hasn't happened to me.
>>
>>333830379
Bugs don't just appear out of thin air. There is literally no bug where the inventory doesn't update. Stop damage controlling that your game is bugged, and admit that you were wrong.
>>
>>333816163
>mature
deebly goncerned
>>
File: eyes.jpg (28 KB, 286x256) Image search: [Google]
eyes.jpg
28 KB, 286x256
What's a decent lone wolf combo for Tactician mode? Would a cleric and inquisitor be viable throughout the game or do i have to have all elemental schools available?
>>
>>333831321

Single mage.
>>
File: boss.webm (3 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
boss.webm
3 MB, 960x540
Does this still work or have they patched it years ago?
>>
>>333831321
You can squeeze through with most setups. Watch out for enemy CC since it can shut you down completely. Try going more for damage and not control because you just don't have enough people to CC everybody and still be doing damage. Dual one wolf CC is possible with poison but combats will last forever so it's tedious.
>>
>>333806992
Explorer=Very Easy
Classic=Easy
Tactician=Normal
Honor=Hard

It still falls for the problem that the normal mode is not in the middle.
>>
>>333831803
lava instankills everything.
What is there to patch?
>>
The only thing I absolutely hate in this game is that you're controlling 1 character but the other ones just fucking walk into every single trap they find because fuck following waypoints, NO I HAVE TO STAND NEXT TO THAT GUY!
>>
>>333833134
Remove lava scroll?
Make dragon immune?
>>
>>333830571
Please kill yourself.
>>
>>333833215
use the line formation
>>
>>333833230
Lava core scroll is so rare that it doesn't really break the game. It's just a fun gimmick.
>>
>>333833230
there's only a single scroll.
If you don't want to use it, don't use it.
>>
>>333833581
I didn't mean it in a negative way. I liked the fact that you could do it.
I was curious if they removed it because some faggot complained about balance or some shit like that.
Thread replies: 124
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.