[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where would you place the game in the series? I am considering
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: Paper Jam.png (34 KB, 327x299) Image search: [Google]
Paper Jam.png
34 KB, 327x299
Where would you place the game in the series? I am considering getting it.
>>
I'd say it's the middle of the road. It really depends on what you look for in Mario & Luigi games. The story is boring and very stripped down, but the gameplay is literally the best in the series.
>>
First place because it has the best gameplay and that's why I play video games
>>
>>333769128
Dead last

Literally new super mario and luigi
>>
>>333769128
Last, it was the least interesting out of the series. It's definitely not bad though.
>>
It has the best gameplay and battles but the overworld leaves much to be desired. Character interactions and cutscenes are your usual Mario and Luigi fair.
>>
>>333769128
In the trash.
>>
>>333769747
Calm down, they only did it because there's no way to shove all the OCs from both series without it being fanfic tier
>>
>>333769921
What is going on with the Overworld

also gameplay wise, what does it do better or worse than Dream Team?
>>
>>333769128
Mid tier, honestly below SS and BiS, about the same as DT and better than PiT
>>
File: peachescape.png (3 MB, 1032x2444) Image search: [Google]
peachescape.png
3 MB, 1032x2444
It has great pace and gameplay, but the story is very, very meagre. There's a few cool things in there (like giving Bowser Jr. and Koopalings some personality), but it's about as generic as it gets.

The fun gameplay makes up for almost anything, though, and you can skip all tutorials and even speed up cutscenes, which was appreciated after the chore that DT could be.
>>
I felt like I couldn't lose a battle since Paper Mario could survive without Mario and Luigi. If Mario and Luigi both managed to get knocked out it was a choice of grinding out the fight with just PM or purposely getting him knocked out to restart the fight. The only boss fight where this doesn't apply is the King Boo fight since a boo will snatch PM multiple times in the fight.
>>
It's probably the second worst game in the series for me.

+Some boss battles are pretty neat
+Dialed down the tutorials from Dream Team
+Fast Forward button

-Looks worse than Dream Team thanks to the environments just being straight up NSMB.
-Level design is really boring and empty, the final dungeon is like a half-dozen small rooms and a few minigames.
-Uninspired story. Literally two Bowsers kidnap two Peaches, go save them. Anything that could potentially be interesting is dropped entirely or never followed up on.
-No new characters.
-It uses so little from Paper Mario that they could have made Paper Mario up entirely for this game and it wouldn't have made any difference.
-Fights drag on because enemies take much longer to attack than other games in the series for some reason.
-No Hard Mode, despite the previous two games having it.
-Paper Mario isn't as fun as Bowser or Dreamy Mario.

I'd only get it if you wanted more M&L boss fights and think they're worth slogging through boring minigames and uninspired dialogue. I definitely wouldn't pay full price.
>>
>>333769128
Best gameplay in the series but worst story.
>>
Character-wise it had the best Princess Peach and second best Paper Peach.
>>
>>333771014
>Fights drag on because enemies take much longer to attack than other games in the series for some reason.
For the most part I disagree, but the enemies that were like stacks of paper clones took forever to kill.
>>
File: 1460244815996.png (11 KB, 97x106) Image search: [Google]
1460244815996.png
11 KB, 97x106
>>333769128
What do I think of this game? It's hard to say, I almost fourgot this game even existed in the first place.
>>
SSS > PJ > BIS = DT > PiT

Gameplay is fantastic and the peak of the style built up since BIS, good pacing, great character interactions and some prominent Mario characters have actual character for the first time since their introduction, but the story itself is very basic, and the world is fairly boring and as generic as possible.
>>
best battles
best humor
best spritework
maybe 1 or 2 mandatory tutorials at most

overworld is ok, nothing special
mini-games are ok, they replace the 2D sections of DT
papercraft battles are ok, they replace the giant battles of DT
soundtrack is OK, not shimomura's best

story itself is meh
settings are uninspired
paper mario is really nothing special, he's just there to give an excuse for more elaborate boss fights
enemy diversity is really lacking
some expert challenges are just not fun to obtain because some enemy attacks are really hard to learn the pattern of, and some enemies only appear after the battle begins too

it's a good game, it's neither mediocre nor amazing
still better than PiT, it's much longer (DT lenght) and doesn't feel as monotonous

if you love mario & luigi games for the battle system, go for it, it's the best in the entire mario RPG saga
but expect it to be a little cross-over to satisfy one's thirst for M&L or Paper Mario until either series get an actual fifth entry, it's not an ambitious RPG at all (not even titled M&L5 in Japan, just M&L: Paper Mario Mix)
>>
>>333772324
let me add my ratings

M&L1: 9/10
M&L2: 7/10
M&L3: 9/10
M&L4: 7.5/10
Paper Jam: 8/10

it fixes DT's biggest issues - the slow pace, the abundant tutorials, the story that constantly cuts your progress short (DT's story was basically "mario and luigi are always late")

its issues are the toad mini-games not being on the same scale as the 2D sections of past titles, the world being rather uninspired, and some expert challenges sucking ass ("do bros attacks 500 times"? why?)

battle-wise it's a 9 if not a 10/10
the overworld is a 6/10
and the mini-games are like a 7/10 (they're not bad, just not exactly ambitious)
>>
>>333772875
so:
if you want even more dynamic fights:
>get it

if you want a big overworld that you unlock over time with new abilities:
>avoid

if you are tired of mini-games in your mario rpgs:
>avoid at all cost
>>
File: WVW69jFwmVgRF13IdZ.jpg (172 KB, 400x240) Image search: [Google]
WVW69jFwmVgRF13IdZ.jpg
172 KB, 400x240
Does it have a boss rush with a fun bonus boss at the end?
>>
>>333773727
yes
>>
It's mix for me

Story and setting is weak

But it's gameplay is by far the best in the series and it doesn't do shitty gimmick minogames like BIS did with the touch screen and a lot better than Dream Team

SSS=BIS>PJ>DT>PiT
>>
>>333772191
>SSS>PJ>BiS=DT>PiT

I agree with this. I'm about a little over half way through PJ and it's just so fun.
>>
>>333773727
Yes

The fun bonus boss is actually bullshit this time, unlike Jr.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.