[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are first two games worth playing or essential to the story?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: witcher_3_wild_hunt.jpg (362 KB, 1136x819) Image search: [Google]
witcher_3_wild_hunt.jpg
362 KB, 1136x819
Are first two games worth playing or essential to the story?
>>
Worth playing?
Yes.
Essential?
Try the books.
>>
>>333754035
Second game kinda is, relating to Triss.
First game is only for a bit of back story and the whole "Look at all them drowners".

Third game's kinda stand - alone except for som minor tie ins to the past games, like letho and shit.
>>
Nah just skip them they suck unless youre a sperg
>>
>>333754035
You'll get bored to death of the combat before you even reach the end of the second game.
>>
There are some references to the first game but you don't have to play it. If you finish the second game before wild hunt and export the save file, you'll get some extra characters and lines of dialogue, even a quest, but you can still get all that if you try to use witcher 2 save files but don't actually have them. So it's not really necessary, you can jump right into 3.
>>
>>333754035
First has the best music and atmosphere and it's the only witcher game that got the alchemy system right. I'd skip the second, it's basically the same as 3 but shorter and with shittier combat.
>>
>>333754220
This.

It would be way more essential to read the books then to play the games for the story of the third game. Not even kidding.
>>
>>333754035
Not at all, but be prepared to want to go back and play them after W3. It's an incredible game.

They do amazingly at introducing you to everything and while there are things for fans of the older one, it's definitely not necessary whatsoever.

I know loads of people who enjoyed it so much they went back, just to learn more of the lore/story etc.

Have fun!
>>
>>333754391
I loved them more than 3 (w/o HoS).
>>
>>333755053
this
>>
>>333754035
1 is the second best one in the trilogy, I'd recommend it if you can stomach the rough edges as it's pretty damn good. Witcher 2 is okay, nothing special though. Neither are really essential since 3 references the books more than the games.
>>
they are worth playing

they are not essential to 3's story

but you will appreciate everything a lot more
>>
Currently playing through W1 after spending 100+ hours in W3 as my entry to the franchise.

Never once felt like I was missing out or out of the loop. Go for it OP.
>>
>>333754035
awful gameplay, have 10 and 27 hours in the first and second respectively, couldn't stomach the combat and never finished either one
>>
So is 3 actually good? I kind of hated the second one aside from graphics and thought 3 is going to be more of the same.
>>
>>333755286
Cdpr really did drop a lot of plot points from the second game. Only the Witch hunt and the war carried over but they really just served as the backdrop and a few side quests while the main plot is a direct continuation of the main story from the books. Kind of werid that they made it so standalone from the other the games.
>>
>>333755771
I prefer it. Massive in scale, but everything feels important - from the tiny little sidequests all the way to the beastiary, alchemy and oils (if you're on the higher difficulties anyway).

It's truly fantastic and I prefer it to the second game.
>>
>>333755771
I couldn't get into 2 but have put 75 hrs into 3 and just started my 2nd playthrough. Give it a shot, you might love it.
>>
>>333755771
Yes I thought it was better and the best in the trilogy. Way better than whatever the fuck comabt system was in 1 and 2.
>>
>>333754035
Yes.

Trissfag thanks to W1 & 2.
>>
>>333756406
Really? I would think Trissfags would come from the second game only not the first. Triss in the first game is a weird combination of Yen, Triss, Phillipa, and Fringilla. She was nothing like her actual character. Figured most Trissfags wouldn't have liked her.
>>
File: witcher 2014-07-03 18-05-46-43.jpg (381 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
witcher 2014-07-03 18-05-46-43.jpg
381 KB, 1920x1080
>>333754220
>>333754886
This guys are right. Also W1 (modded) > W2
>inb4 gimme mods
Return of the White Wolf, Flash mod, texture packs
>>
>>333755286
Witcher 1 is a weird game. The combat is absolutely awful and there are some quests like many in the swamp that are just terrible. But then they have something super awesome like the murder mystery. The main story is also really cool. If you can tolerate a lot of time wasting and the combat, it's worth playing.
>>
We have to give it to CD Projekt Red. They are one of the few devs that actually care about their customers. It's also rare that the games get increasingly better further out in the franchise, but CD manage to do it.
>>
>>333754035

No, but they are worth playing. The Witcher 3 has great atmosphere and the world really is the star of the game. I had a ton of fun exploring and just slaying monsters.

Plus that music.
https://youtu.be/oXiFoUR98oA?t=1m38s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiSeoX_4nzU
>>
Blood and Wine WHEN?
>>
>>333759153
June or july rumours say, too fucking long.
>>
>>333759153
Wondering the same thing. I just started a new game though, to experience everything I missed and play the HoS dlc, so I'll be busy for a while.
>>
I played it and made it to Novigrad but my computer is too shitty to keep playing. It shits itself in Novigrad and the lag is too unbearable.
>>
>>333759695
specs?
>>
>>333759153
I'm amazed at how good Heart of Stone was considering it was $10. The main story was interesting and long.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.