[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Generals 2 cancelled because of bad feedback from the fanbase
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 10
File: GLATankA.jpg (33 KB, 405x345) Image search: [Google]
GLATankA.jpg
33 KB, 405x345
>Generals 2 cancelled because of bad feedback from the fanbase
>Still nothing about a new C&C

Fuck EA
>>
Dead franchises should stay dead.
>>
>people dislike Generals 2 because it's a shameless F2P cashin that ripped off models from Warhammer for the GLA
>people want an offline, non-F2P, decent C&C game
>EA cancels it instead because fans don't agree with their "vision."

EA is fucking stupid. What do you expect? A million fans could draw out the perfect blueprint for their favorite game that would take in millions, hand it to EA, and EA would still fuck it up sideways.
>>
>>333733946
>Fuck EA

>Whatever they do, fans boycott it and call them Hitler.
>If they don't do anything, they also get called Hitlers.

You know, if I were EA's CEO, I'd just browse those fan forums and laugh at this pathetic fanbase.
>>
>>333735290
yeah well you aren't anymore, spaghetti-o
>>
>>333735290

How about they make the game with no pay to win shit and just release it complete at full price?
>>
File: CnCend.png (46 KB, 1007x382) Image search: [Google]
CnCend.png
46 KB, 1007x382
>>333733946
>because of bad feedback from the fanbase
That's objectively false by the way, never trust the official explanations from EA.
I was in the alpha of that game and tester response was pretty positive.
>>
>>333733946
Don't disturb the dead. Its better they remain resting.
>>
>>333735608
They don't sell enough, shithead.
Every C&C past Generals EA made was in the red numbers.
The only reason they kept getting made was because the EA CEO at the time was a C&C fan.

He stepped down, the other guy told them to ship C&C 4 and closed them down.
>>
>>333734781
I think this is a sign of a greater trend among game devs and pubs today and most business in general. They're filled almost entirely by narcissistic assholes with massive egos and feel that they're the greatest thing to happen to this planet. I blame society changing to avoid hurting people's feelings, the everyone's a winner bullshit, and an increasingly loud group of people that are born into wealth as the number of people who worked their way to the top disappear from that group.
>>
>>333734781
>people dislike Generals 2 because it's a shameless F2P cashin that ripped off models from Warhammer for the GLA

You know shit all about it, anon.
That Warhammer 40k rip-off happened in that shitty browser game, not Generals 2.

Also, Generals 2 went through 2 stages of the development.
The whole game was originally supposed to be a normal game, but then Activision Blizzard stepped it and got out their fancy old FUCK YOU hammer in the form of HotS aimed at the release date of this new C&C.
So EA changed the strategy and went for the F2P route but the game was already bleeding money like crazy and once the blacksuits took scent of it, it had to go down.
>>
>>333736151
Maybe they should stop releasing shit games.
>>
>>333733946
shit game

who gives a fuck
>>
>>333735992
>until they figure out how to turn off the servers
Made my day.
>>
>make generals game that's more like a red alert clone
>generals fanbase does't like it
>cancel it
>w-we were just pretending!
>>
>>333736847
Red Alert 2
Generals
BFME 1&2
C&C 3
RA 3

All these games were done 100% by EA and they are most definitely not shitty games.
>>
>>333737191
>RA3
uhh anon, that game was shitty. not as shitty as Tiberian Twilight but still shitty.

but at least it had Tim Curry
>>
>>333737191
I don't think a single one of those was made in the past ten years.
>>
>>333737446
While I enjoyed most things about that game a great deal, you are entitled to your own opinion.
That still leaves 5 great games.
>>
>>333733946

>EA actually listening to their fanbase

What black magic is this?
>>
>>333737720
but I agree with you on those four though, clearly the pinnacles of the series
>>
>>333737665
and none sell enough to make a profit due to the high costs
>>
Westwood hasn't been behind the helm of C&C for so long, so why do you care? Anything C&C we get will be related purely by the name.

Bigger question is why strategy games are so stagnant nowadays? Is it because everything has to be competitive?
>>
>>333738243
> why strategy games are so stagnant nowadays

because the fanbase is shit, small and cheap.

that every new release without pandering hard to storyfags is a death curse to the studio that made it
>>
File: 1444860390807.png (441 KB, 1050x925) Image search: [Google]
1444860390807.png
441 KB, 1050x925
>>333738243
Because the same thing happened to games that happened to everything
Big money got involved
>>
>>333737801

They didn't. That was the excuse for doing it and it was a lie.
>>
>>333733946
It got bad feedback because EA swears up and down classic RTS is dead and no one wants it. Its why they did what they did with 4. When we wont accept the shit they try to force on us and say we want base building and resource management they freak and just shut it all down while plugging their ears.

RTS died because of publishes not consumers.
>>
>2 centuries has passed
>Travel to other universes established
>No new Theme Hospital

Fuck EA
>>
I used to like Tiberian Wars and Kane's Wrath and i watched my uncle play the entire series since i was a little brat.

I wanted to cherish these moments and enjoy some nice graphics and destruction in C&C 3 but then i installed , started the game , it felt weird , like the camera moved around like it slipped on butter , something else was off too. I opened up d3d gear and realised i was playing it on 30 fps. WHY EA WHY !? I did some research and found out that the engine they used ties the framerate to the game speed. Thats the most retarded thing ive ever think of. Needless to say im now bored and dissapointed with no "futuristic" rts games to play except for sc2.
>>
>>333733946
>bad feedback
Pretty sure everyone was happy when they announced Generals 2. Then they announced that they removed singleplayer but added Starcraft 2-like interactions with other generals when out of battle, and that made a part of the fans giddy while everyone else was just indifferent. Then they just outright shut it down because they realized that you can't make money out of a f2p game with no transactions
>>
>>333738861
>WHY EA WHY !?

It's Wetswood's 3D engine made for Emperor Battle for Dune back in 2001.
Tying the game state makes perfect sense on an RTS game at the time because of how RTS multiplayer works.
>>
>>333739204
That means that if back then i had a shitty pc and got 20 fps then everyone else in the game would get 20 fps too.

Thats ruining it
>>
>>333733946
NEVER EVER
>>
>>333739315
That's how RTS multiplayer code worked until recently.
Starcraft 2 still uses that system blended with the more traditional approach, CoH2 only shifted to said traditional model after the first expansion.

It was all matter of hardware available at the time.
FPS games are much, much simpler, hence why they use the traditional method with predicition, RTS simply couldn't do anything of the sort.

Ensemble guys did a nifty write-up on the whole thing.
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/131503/1500_archers_on_a_288_network_.php?print=1
>>
>>333739634
Thanks for the info.
Still though id wish it was possible to play on 60 fps on singleplayer. Too bad the hardware wasn't so good then
>>
EA is a nigger. Bioware is a nigger. Blizzard is a nigger.

NEVER SUPPORT.

>tfw millenial kids cant keep their hate in them
>>
File: Logo_bioware_dragon.jpg (174 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Logo_bioware_dragon.jpg
174 KB, 1024x768
>>333733946
Why does EA kill every dev they own?
>>
>>333740038
Im a 23y old white man and i can't take nigger as an insult , maybe i couldnt even if i was black
>>
File: 1435955819735.png (170 KB, 440x393) Image search: [Google]
1435955819735.png
170 KB, 440x393
>>333740247
>>
>>333740247
They are the antichrist of gaming afaik. They destroy it a small step at a time each day.
>>
Do people still play Generals?
>>
>>333739958
hardware doesn't have anything to do with it
it's because RTS needs to send lots of data and not everyone had a good enough internet connection to handle it back then
the generals engine games run badly because the engine was programmed badly
>>
>>333740247
Because their share holders are more important to them than their customers.
>>
>>333740590

There are still tournaments and youtube channels

Check generalsgentlemen for multi casts
>>
>>333733946
Shit. I was actually looking forward to it
>>
>>333740763
That's stupid though. Shareholders want the company to have more and more customers.
>>
>>333740590
They play mods.

The MLG 360 No SCOPES have their own patches.

Normal people use Rise of the Reds and others.
>>
>>333740247
EA buys out studios right after their creative peak right when the greed sets in and that combined with an oppressive new management means they fail to produce anything decent and are therefore sold
>>
File: 20160404164102_1.jpg (12 KB, 201x188) Image search: [Google]
20160404164102_1.jpg
12 KB, 201x188
LOOK TIGHT, GENTLEMEN
>>
>>333741043
And they do get customers
>>
>>333741252
Red Alert 3 was actually pretty fun
>>
>>333741481
RE3 was the perfect example of "easy being too easy and medium too hard".
I loved RE3 but always got my ass handed by normal bots.
>>
>>333741052
>Rise of the reds
FUCKING
WHEN
>>
>>333741043
It works because gaming opened to an entire new audience: casual players who don't want to invest much time and EA, among others, delivers.
>>
After the abomination that was c&c4 its better to have the franchise dead.
>>
>>333733946
Well RTS is dead and, like it or not, it wasn't EA's doing.
>>
File: CenturyBomber.jpg (63 KB, 542x404) Image search: [Google]
CenturyBomber.jpg
63 KB, 542x404
>>333741252
WELL BOYS, I RECKON THIS IS IT
>>
>>333741481
I liked it even if it didn't really feel like red alert to me, Japan were stupidly overpowered though.
A group of 4 or 6 of us used to play each other casually a lot, and even if we all ganged up on him from the start, that one guy who always played Japan would usually win
>>
File: FVZOO6CH7ANSLLA.MEDIUM.jpg (22 KB, 548x420) Image search: [Google]
FVZOO6CH7ANSLLA.MEDIUM.jpg
22 KB, 548x420
>>333733946
>not already fuck EA because of destroy Westwood

It's like you WANT to play shitty versions of games you used to love.
>>
File: Prospector.jpg (63 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
Prospector.jpg
63 KB, 200x200
>>333743021
They don't mean no harm!
>>
>>333743416
>because of destroy Westwood

Today on History 101.
Westwood bankrupted because of an MMO project.
So if you want to point fingers at people who killed Westwood, you should be looking at Blizzard (that's how Activision Blizzard used to be called in the past) who were just about to make it BIG with an MMO that everyone was losing their shit over.
Ditto for Ensemble, which crashed and burned on that Halo MMO before being sent off to do Halo Wars and promptly fired.

So yeah, Activision Blizzard won the RTS war with WoW.
It killed its competition and merged with Activision for infinite dosh.
GG no RE, RTS games.
>>
>>333742014
They did say that the next patch will be the last before 2.0 so have some hope.

And who knows, maybe one of the generals will be as great as the superweapons general in Shockwave.
>>
File: tankor.jpg (51 KB, 560x440) Image search: [Google]
tankor.jpg
51 KB, 560x440
>>333737191
Red Alert 2 was published by EA and developed by Virgin interactive and Westwood employees that were shoved together. It would be a lie to claim that it was wholly an EA release. Generals was almost entirely an EA project. I think the last remaining Westwood guy finally got fed up and left after the release of that game.

Also, EA rushed the release of Tiberian Sun back in the day, and I can't say I was pleased with the state of that game on release. They also rushed Emperor: Battle for Dune, which is the source of endless anger on my part. The fact that the netcode for the multiplayer didn't even get properly finished before release, and never got reworked later thoroughly killed that game. In contrast, the much more basic game, Dune 2000, still has an active (albeit small) community.
C&C 3 and Red Alert 3 were thoroughly mediocre games, though. Red Alert 3's expansion took a nosedive into shit game territory. I've never really enjoyed Generals, and I've never played Battle for Middle Earth so I can't comment on those.
>>
>>333744137
Shockwave turned the Granger challenge into a nightmare.
>Tfw your only AA base defense uses rockets so you have to rely on units
>>
>>333744234
>that were shoved together.
Different studios, anon.

When Westwood was acquired by Electronic Arts in August 1998, most long-time Westwood employees quit and left Westwood Studios.[3] As such Red Alert 2 was created by a different group of developers than the original Command & Conquer series. This was evident in the different path the game took with regards to storyline and writing, using juvenile humor and dialogue in stark contrast of the serious tone of previous Westwood games.

Westwood proper never touched Red Alert 2, instead producing Firestorm, Dune 2000 and Emperor Battle For Dune during Red Alert 2's life. Then they got Renegade, a tfailed attempt a Renegade 2 and that infamous failed MMO.

Generals had like 2 or 3 people from Wetwood working on it before they finally left for their brethren's Petrolyph after the original game's release.
>>
>>333740247
Because its their business strategy. They dont invest in new IP's they look at what is established and popular and then buy them out. They work the IP / studio they bought to the point the public gets tired and money stops flowing. Then they move on.

Its what happens when you take economists and corporate types from other businesses and bring them over. They play the safe bet. Why risk the money on a game that is unproven?
>>
>>333744234
BfME games were turds, but fun turds you played with friends for the spectacle of it. Whoever was in charge of voice acting, music and sound design for both games did a stellar job.
>>
>>333736151

Source about CnC games losing money for EA?
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.