[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Oblivion/TES thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 7
Decided to revisit this because I never played Shivering Isles. What are some mods that would actually make it playable today?
>>
>>333727736
Unofficial oblivion patch
>>
File: 20160328200341_1.jpg (2 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
20160328200341_1.jpg
2 MB, 3840x2160
Oblivion Character Overhaul
Something to fix levelling like Oscura's Overhaul or Francesco's Levelled Creatures
>>
>>333727736
uninstall.exe
>>
>>333727736
I dont get why people here freak out about Oblivion. I played it back in late 2011/early 2012 with no mods for a long time and it worked out just fine.

Unofficial Oblivion Patch was later installed, but I did not see much of a difference. It certainly didn't fix the problem I was hoping it would fix.
>>
I unironically like this game.
>>
>>333728572
Oblivion is a travesty of game design. Every single game mechanic is fundamentally broken in some way. Consider just level scaling alone: it means your character grows proportionally weaker as you gain levels. It fills the world with daedric armor-wearing bandits and 1000-HP mudcrabs. It makes all unique items gained from quests useless, as they also scale to your level at the moment you completed the quest. Just this one single mechanic irreversibly fucks up your character, the gameworld and the itemization.
Add to this dumbed down mechanics(AKA muh spears), Disneyworld game design, terrible console-first menu and inventory design, terrible quest design, terrible guilds(they're all just linear series of quests which can all be completed simultaneously, without any interplay between them, as in Morrowind), terrible stealth which makes you invisible to everyone simply by crouching in front of them, terrible dialogs, terrible character models, terrible lockpicking& persuasion minigames, terrible writing...
Pretty much one of the worst game of all time.

Also, let's dispel this notion that Oblivion quests are good. They are not good. 95% of them consist of running around in circles and hitting things with your sword. There would maybe be some exotic, terribly written reason for you to run in circles and hit things with your sword, which is apparently enough for neo-/v/ to proclaim these the best quests ever.
In fact, the only reason that the mediocre DB questline is so highly regarded is that it breaks the monotony of running in circles and hitting things with your sword. There's still no branching, no meaningful consequences, not a single skill or stat check in the entire questline- these are not good quests.
The only people who would find Oblivion better than Morrowind are the <20y.o. XBox kiddies who played Oblivion before they would know any better. It is the ultimate nostalgia-goggles game. And I'm not even particularly fond of Morrowind.
>>
>>333728837
>I'm not even particular fond of morrowind

It's not good to lie anon, and good show being the pot calling the kettle black. You're just as blinded by nostalgia as anybody else in this thread.
>>
File: Nope.gif (1 MB, 240x180) Image search: [Google]
Nope.gif
1 MB, 240x180
>>333728837
Man, you're acting like Oblivion is NES Metroid. Pity. A lot of that isn't even true.
>invisible by crouching right in front of them
Kek.
>>
>>333728837
The quest design isn't very good but there are a lot of exceptionally well written side-quests, especially the Dark Brotherhood, A Shadow Over Hackdirt, The Sirens Deception, Canvas the Castle etc.
>>
Check out Elder Scrolls Online too. Ever since the overall, it's pretty great.
>>
>>333730650
>overall
OVERHAUL
>>
File: criminal scum.jpg (158 KB, 780x966) Image search: [Google]
criminal scum.jpg
158 KB, 780x966
If you're adding mods, be selective and stick to the esentials.
One mod quickly turns into five, then 15, then 200, and oblivion is highly unstable with too many mods (meaning you can barely load a room without the game crashing)
>>
>>333728837
Let's dispel once and for all with this fiction that Todd Howard doesn't know what he's doing. He knows EXACTLY what he's doing. Todd Howard is undertaking a systematic effort to change this series, to make Elder Scrolls more like the rest of the video games.
That's why he removed skills and Cyrodiil's jungle and added level scaling and the quest compass. It is a systematic effort to change Elder Scrolls. When I'm game director at Bethesda Game Studios, we are going to re-embrace all the things that made Elder Scrolls the greatest series in the world and we are going to leave our gamers with what they deserve: the single greatest video game in the history of the world.
>>
>>333727736
tesgeneral.com
>>
just play arx fatalis
>>
File: 1410842150273.gif (957 KB, 500x418) Image search: [Google]
1410842150273.gif
957 KB, 500x418
>>333730650
Nah, the MMO treatment killed any enjoyment I could have / immersion with the world.
>>
File: 1392671541475.png (892 KB, 921x675) Image search: [Google]
1392671541475.png
892 KB, 921x675
>>333731732
>MAKE TAMRIEL GREAT AGAIN
>>
File: The Hero Tamriel deserves.png (657 KB, 1024x578) Image search: [Google]
The Hero Tamriel deserves.png
657 KB, 1024x578
>>333734902
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.