[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is no one talking about the hololens? It seems much more
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
Why is no one talking about the hololens? It seems much more interesting than the multiple VR headsets that are being released.

https://youtu.be/enaCPYuYXps
>>
>>333726423
Because the hololens is a farfetched gimmick at best.
>>
I'd like people to stop developing peripherals that only add cost to playing a game.
>>
>costs 100x more
>has a shitty fov
>is big and bulky
>VR headsets with a pass-through camera already do AR better

Maybe some day, but now it's time for VR
>>
>>333726504
The only reason they stopped working with controllers. Is a huge number of beta testers get extremely sick when moving their virtual body with a thumbstick. The peripherals help stop this.
>>
>>333726562
>>costs 100x more
I hope not. Although i heavnt heard anything about pricing.
>>is big and bulky
nigga..
>>
>>333726831
>"The HoloLens will start shipping on March 30 in Canada and the US, and will cost $3,000"
>"It weighs in at 579g"

It's more than the current VR headsets, and for VR it's okay because you just sit or move around and can take it off at any time, but AR is supposed to be worn 24/7
>>
http://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/01/18/hololens-field-of-view/

>like standing 2 feet away from a 15″ monitor

wew lad
>>
>>333726423
This is a worse gimmick than vr.
>>
>>333726503
>AR
>Farfetched gimmick

Yeah, no, AR is poised to be the next mobile, if not the most disruptive technology of all time.
>>
Which one will be better, Vive or Oculus? I'm thinking about trying one out, but regardless I'm waiting for a while to see if any good stuff comes out for VR first.
>>
>>333726830

The peripherals don't have a reason to exist in the first place! You can't have full immersion without physical feedback and you can't have physical feedback affordably and comfortably. The whole system is honestly some bells and whistles that cost hundreds of dollars for no improvement on your gaming experience.
>>
File: 1455900945582.png (316 KB, 432x413) Image search: [Google]
1455900945582.png
316 KB, 432x413
>>333727192

That's a lofty delusion you've convinced yourself of. In the same way motion controls are the next generation of controllers right?
>>
Its potential consumer release is very far away compared to the HMDs coming out with their first real releases. It's also very expensive and a huge amount of its potential uses aren't as immediately apparent as VR headsets.

It's like comparing fancy apples to oranges that are fancy in a different way.
>>
>>333727225
Vive. It can do anything Rift can and more.

The only thing you'd want a Rift for is maybe because it's slightly lighter and better to wear, and it has built-in headphones
>>
>>333727063
For the Developer Kit, but I don't expect shitposters to think very hard.
>>
>>333727512
>lofty delusion
>Basically every market projection believes the same
>Basically every tech innovator believes the same
>A product which has practically infinite applications, can easily replace modern mobile devices with improved functionality, virtualize the work space and be applied to any number of industries to standardize, monitor and augment labor

Please don't bother opening your mouth if you have no idea what you are talking about.
>>
Why did google glass fail again? Seemed to be going strong on its limited run, cost and privacy concerns aside
>>
>>333727720
devkits are always MUCH CHEAPER than actual product
>>
>>333727793
Poor public reception, plus the tech really wasn't that great. It was too little, too soon. It was the right decision to go back to the drawing board and shelve it.
>>
>>333727920
What are you on about? That's very rarely the case. Dev kits are typically more expensive because they are small runs produced for companies who can bear the extra cost.
>>
>>333728164
DK1/DK2 vs CV1
Vive PRE vs VIVE
All consoles devkits bought by devs

>implying hololens will be selling like hotcakes at walmart instead of being an ultra niche $5 000 product
>>
>hololens
Microsoft's Virtual Boy.
>>
>>333726423

Do you realize how low FOV you have on the hololens? It's about the same size as a stamp.
>>
>>333728401
>All consoles devkits bought by devs
You are absolutely wrong.

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Dev_kit
>>
>>333728401
>All consoles devkits bought by devs

False.
>>
>>333728817
Explain
>>
>>333730321
see >>333727108
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.