[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
level design thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6
File: desert.jpg (1 MB, 3787x2823) Image search: [Google]
desert.jpg
1 MB, 3787x2823
how would you design an open world so it wasn't terrible like just cause 3 or mgsv?
>>
>>333716412
make it so whatever you do as a character cant possibly match up to whats actually happening within the world,

this way the quests you go on feel like they have a deeper impact,

make it so Thing A doesnt necessarily mean thing B is going to happen

and put allot of hidden things to collect that actually have use. i.e. dead rising 1
>>
I wouldn't. Open worlds are the worst thing to happen to games.
>>
I don't know exactly, but I would do a smaller map with a lot of interesting and unique shit in it rather than a fuck huge map with fuck all in it.
>>
>>333716946
how come?
>>
>>333716885
oh and no free running bullshit, GTA 4's style of running and jumping but improved,

unless your character is supposed to be capable of traveling in some impressive way, id rather make traveling feel like the scenery isnt just being peeled away for side quest assassins creed prototype bullshit
>>
>>333717070
It's fucking shit

all that space doesn't add anything
>>
>>333716412
Ignore realistic geography in favour of large vertical features which enhance the sense of scale and depth. This game already exists.
>>
>>333717161
what do you think of games like zelda which have linear dungeons within open worlds?
>>
>>333717256

running a far distance sucks balls, even in Zelda
>>
>>333717070
Travelling is boring. Especially around the same ducking areas all the time. Just give me my games in levels. I'll never buy open world games.
>>
>>333717341
I liked it in Witcher and Skyrim. I enjoyed the landscape and had a feeling like traveling. But it might not be for everyone.
>>
File: red-mars-183x300.jpg (23 KB, 183x300) Image search: [Google]
red-mars-183x300.jpg
23 KB, 183x300
I want to go to Mars.
>>
>>333716412

Seriously? Look at Daggerfall.

That said, a game like JC3 could have been at least artistically (inb4 hipster) interesting if they did away with fast travel and forced the player to use ingame transit (like trains, buses, boats, planes etc) instead.
>>
i would make it all roadways through canyons and put enemy NPC at checkpoints every minute or so, then i'd make them respawn as soon as you turn around.
>>
>>333717506

You realize that if they sent you there, you would never come back? You might be one of the first people to go to Mars, but you will also die there
>>
>>333717653
hey man, the europeans didn't go to the new world thinking that they could go back home someday.
>>
>>333717653
lolno
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_situ_resource_utilization#Rocket_propellant
>>
>>333717653
That's not true, NASA's upcoming missions feature return trips

Even still, I'd move to Mars permanently, shit would be cash
>>
File: mars.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
mars.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>333717506
>>
>>333717506
Same here senpai
I want to go study the geology
Think about it, first Martian geologist
>>
>>333716412
I'd copy dark souls 1
>>
>>333716946

F2P is the worst thing to happen to games. Mobile games as a genre as well.

open world doesn't even make the top 10, it's just a fad that will be dead in five years when devs realize that linear games are cheaper to shit out
>>
Make it like Yakuza
A much smaller area, but with much more content and variety
>>
>>333717653

A Mars round trip doesn't require an impossible amount of fuel given our current technology. Especially if the final craft is sent up in pieces and fuelled in orbit.
>>
>>333716412

I study architecture because it's relevant to software engineering and you just asked a big question OP.

Some things that are essential:

- Diversity of uses. Buildings and districts used by multiple groups for multiple things at all times of day.
- Challenge to get around: it must be difficult to get across the entire map.
- Puzzles/ routes with multiple skill based outcomes: There should be a medium difficulty way of getting through a puzzle and some harder ways that the player can come back to later in the game.
- Non geometric: no straight grid. Cities must be grown as organisms and feel natural.
- Landmarks must be numerous but not copies of one another.
- Definite difference between map areas: different cultures, music and accents.
- Quality over quantity. I would rather have 5 tombs with their own stories than 500 with nothing (fuck you bethesda)
- Player choice based progression: the players choices have to change a location as the game progresses. Fable II was good for this.
- Collectables that are worth collecting. If I get all of the games shit then it better reward me.
>>
>>333718381
Don't forget mining and processing the fuel there to save on costs
>>
>>333716412
I'd make it interesting, only comfyfags like walking simulators.
That said, hubs > open worlds
>>
>>333718487
Good points. I especially find the Non-geometric grid important.
>>
File: Zubrin.jpg (9 KB, 220x221) Image search: [Google]
Zubrin.jpg
9 KB, 220x221
>>333718598
The US Congress is going to kill this poor man with their feet dragging.
>>
Just make it really dense and have each area feel like it's unique like GTA5
>>
Mad Max, if you actually stop and look around you realize that most objects arent there just to fill up but actually make sense in the world. For an obvious example, a boat wreckage with a couple of skeletons hugging eachother hiding inside, you could just walk pass then but if you then look around at what is in the wrekage it makes sense for that dead couple.

The filler stuff isnt as copy pasted as most games
>>
I'd do it like Gothic
>>
Wait. I've got an answer to this. The Witness.
>>
File: 1284186346233.jpg (32 KB, 814x294) Image search: [Google]
1284186346233.jpg
32 KB, 814x294
Make it like STALKER, basically you have no goddamn idea what's going to happen when you walk outside, so it's never dull.

The fact that it doesn't have shoehorned in RPG elements, or +1 +2 +3 throwaway equipment scaling helps too. So the chance of finding items is much more exciting.
>>
>>333720098
But Mad Max is copy pasted shit
>>
>>333721054

This was going to be my answer. Design non-linear areas with plenty of cover and books and crannies to explore, then make the game unpredictable and you've got the perfect open world. Stalker is a fantastic example
>>
File: crs8landing.webm (306 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
crs8landing.webm
306 KB, 640x360
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.