[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this a PS4 exclusive if ports of older SNK games were
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1
File: KOFXIVlogo.png (602 KB, 1260x535) Image search: [Google]
KOFXIVlogo.png
602 KB, 1260x535
Why is this a PS4 exclusive if ports of older SNK games were what saved them from bankruptcy?
>>
Timed exclusive likely?
>>
At one point I'm sure they said it's "PS4 console exclusive".

Also I don't think SNK was bankrupt, they just had no video game division to speak of.

Even if that were true, it's more the buyout by Leyou Millennium that changed their direction. I think the PC ports they produced just convinced the company that bought them that there was potential value in doing so.
>>
>>333704179
PS4 has a strong fighting game playerbase due to Street Fighter 5. That's why.

It more than likely is gonna go the same route and be PS4/PC.
>>
>>333704179
Being bought out by the Chinese saved them from bankruptcy rather than the dead PC ports
>>
http://shoryuken.com/2015/12/30/snk-playmore-executive-says-successful-steam-ports-helped-bring-them-back-to-game-development/
>>
>>333704238
if not, it will have a VERY limited audience and even more limited lifespan
>>
>>333710362
That doesn't imply that they're struggling, just that game development started to look lucrative again thanks to their work on Steam.

You can also thank changing gambling regulations in Japan for helping them decide to pursue another arena for revenue as well. The writing on the wall suggested the pachislot business was about to become much harder to stay profitable in (which is weird because right around the time they shut down their pachislot operations Konami decided they wanted to become substantially more invested in it).
>>
>>333704179

Why does their title look like a monster hunter one
>>
>>333707696

It's kind of a shame cause Killer Instinct is a shockingly fun game. But I'm not gonna buy an arcade stick for my Xbone after already buying one for my PS4.
Maybe... and just maybe if all my XBLA fighters become backwards compatible. Only one so far is KOF 98. It's stupid taht I can't use my old 360 stick
>>
>>333704179
>saved them from bankruptcy?
No that would be the chinese.
>>
>>333711887
KI PC has no native Dinput support either.
or XB1 stick support which is the only one they've said they're working on supporting.

And you can't use X360ce either, gotta use some kind of keyboard wrapper.

It's a cool game though, I'm enjoying it, just wish it wasnt so stupid about these kinds of things and would stop fucking crashing.
>>
Pretty sure no game, not one at all, they made since their first bankruptcy turned profit. They were saved by pachinko.
>>
>>333710483
No they won't considering their main audience mostly have ps4.
>>
>>333704179
I hope that they release a PC version because playing with controls is awful.

We shall see.
>>
>>333710362
This is just them trying to distance themselves from the pachinko market
they're dressing up the reasons why but it undoubtedly is just because the pachinko market is turning to shit. Not that I'm complaining.
>>
>>333710362
I'm a mustard through and through, but that headline is typical EH clickbait. If you actually read the translated interview all it says is:

>When SNKP took their IPs into consideration, they decided that going back into the gaming business and taking advantage of their IP would probably be better. Also, their smartphone and Steam stuff were doing well and it helped push things in that decision
>>
>>333704179
It's console exclusive. No one would even care for Xbox one version if one would be available.
And lack of PC version is not because of any exclusivity deal, but because even today it's easier to develop game to one platform, instead of working it on multiple platforms at the same time.
That's why the PC will probably come later, after PS4 version launches.
>>
>>333704179
fyi I'm using steamspy for how much it sold

Only 13 did decently and that is only after being in humble bundles (two I believe) and a lot of sales. It took that much to reach a similar amount to what it sold on each console (which I'm guessing the numbers I have for on vgchartz are not very up to date). 98 and 2002 sold only 80k each. I really doubt that had any sort of significant effect, this >>333710362 sounds like a lot of PR fluff

Plus with PC you have to deal with a lot more shit for it to be seen as acceptable. You are much better off waiting a year and then have them all buy it plus a few rebuying it
>>
>>333715318
Do you play fighting games on a keyboard you fucking scrub?
>>
>>333716539
Keyboards are great for fighters.
>>
>>333716765
I'd only agree if you're using it like a HitBox.

>tfw you've encountered people claiming DMC4 is perfectly playable on keyboard
>>
>>333716765
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2PLPVhQ8jw
>>
>>333716357
If you actually read the source and not just the headline. All SNK say is "PC is doing well".

And that seems accurate considering it outsold either console individually. Obviously there are things to take into account like humble bundle, sales, percentage to Valve/MS/Sony, etc. but there's nothing really there to doubt. Also there are no numbers on vgchartz for '98 or 2002 so we can't fairly compare them.
>>
I have to confess I'm really good at doing EWGFs on a keyboard.

But I'd never use one as an all-purpose Tekken implement, though.
>>
>>333716864
>>333717050
A normal keyboard is fine. You have the digital direction buttons under three fingers instead of just the thumb and all attack buttons arranged like on an arcade cabinet.
>>
>>333717050
You can't really claim that loss was because of the keyboard.
Looked like a case of better player beating worse player to me.
>>
>>333717239
>And that seems accurate considering it outsold either console individually
>but there's nothing really there to doubt.
Actually there is a lot to. Steamspy keeps up to date but vgchartz doesn't. Vgchartz doesn't take into account digital sales. Saying console individually is an unfair comparison, if the game had only been on one system it doesn't mean none of that other 300k would have bought it

I could go on but you get the idea

>Also there are no numbers on vgchartz for '98 or 2002 so we can't fairly compare them.
You don't need to though, the numbers just aren't impressive and a lot will be from those who preordered 13 and got them free
>>
>>333716539
I've playing fighting games with keyboards at least for the last 15 years. I can't play with anything else now.
>>
requesting the Kyo I heard you were talking shit like I wouldnt know.
>>
>>333717778
>Actually there is a lot to
Not really, SNK says PC is doing well and the numbers support it. I'm not even claiming the PC sold better, I'm aware that consoles are a bigger market.

>If the game had only been on one system it doesn't mean none of that other 300k would have bought it
>Saying console individually is an unfair comparison
No it isn't, that's like if I tried to argue that if consoles didn't exist all those sales would have been on PC

>You don't need to though
How can you know the numbers weren't unimpressive on console if you have nothing to compare it to?
>>
>>333718461
>Not really
Sure if you ignore all the points I made in the last two posts, but that doesn't get us anywhere

>SNK says PC is doing well
And they also said their smartphone stuff was doing well. It is not a meaningful point, it's the pr equivalent of shrugging your shoulders

> that's like if I tried to argue that if consoles didn't exist all those sales would have been on PC
But you can argue that if it was pc first then there would be crossover. People own multiple things that play games, people will buy consoles or a pc to play a certain game if they really care about it. The difference is then I can bring up points like humble bundles and huge discounts like such http://shoryuken.com/2015/06/11/king-of-fighters-series-heavily-discounted-on-steam/

>How can you know the numbers weren't unimpressive on console if you have nothing to compare it to
Cause 80k is only impressive when you are some tiny tiny indie studio no one has ever heard of, especially when part of that number comes from a preorder deal with 13 and as linked above they were discounted to nothing
>>
>>333715974
>no one would even care for xbox one version if one would be available
you're absolutely crazy, capcom already alienated a large chunk of their fanbase with SFV being only exclusive to ps4 and pc.
proving that Pc wont pick up the slack for the fans they decided to leave over on xbox.
king of fighters numbers would do better if it were released just for Xbox one and ps4.
>>
>>333718981
>And they also said their smartphone stuff was doing well
Different platforms have different expectations.

>It is not a meaningful point
Yes it is, because it means "Releasing our games on this platform has been worthwhile". Why would they bother making a throwaway comment in a Famitsu interview when PC isn't popular in Japan and in your view the sales had actually been abysmal? How would that help PR and why would it even be necessary if they don't find the platform worthwhile?

>But you can argue that
Why is it any fairer to pit a single platform's sales against two platforms?

>Cause 80k is only impressive when you are some tiny tiny indie studio
They were digital only re-releases of decade old arcade games with poor netcode. There's no reason to assume the sales were impressive on console either. Their base price was also cheaper on 360 FYI.
>>
>>333720835
I was going to respond properly, but I realise you just misrepresented everything I said so can fuck off. Can't be arse with a back and fourth like that, just read my posts they already address any problems you have
>>
>>333721484
How are my responses not valid? I'm not trying to make you angry here.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.