[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Worth buying a 3DS?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 3ds-top.png (199 KB, 441x407) Image search: [Google]
3ds-top.png
199 KB, 441x407
Is buying a 3DS worth my money if I'm only really into strategy games and sports games? On my DS I used to play countless hours of Age Of Empires, Age of Mythologies, Advance Wars, Anno 1701 etc. I also had the Tony Hawk games on it, which I enjoyed very much.

I just get the feeling, browsing through the games released for 3DS, that if you're not into RPG's, you're missing out on a lot. The only RPG's i've ever played are pokémon and final fantasy VIII.
>>
Not really.
>>
I don't think it's worth it for your need, honestly.
>>
I'm struggling to think of any relevant games on the console in either genre. If Fire Emblem could somehow be qualified as "strategy"(which it shouldn't be), the 3DS ones suck ass.
>>
>>333694987
Browse through the list here and see if there's any you might like.
http://vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/Nintendo_3DS
>>
>>333695359
>http://vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/Nintendo_3DS

From looking at that list:
- Donkey Kong 3D (I used to have the DK games on my SNES and N64, seems like fun nostalgia)
- Kingdom Hearts (seems like an accessible RPG, without the turn based system as well, which is great because that can get tedious fast)
- Zelda: a link between worlds (I used to own a Link to the Past on my SNES, actually kind of excited to see what they've made of this)
- Pokemon games (always had fun playing these, series has never let me down so far although you pretty much know what you're getting, I don't expect them to have changed things up too radically)

Basically the games I absolutely don't like are button mashers like Street Fighter or Super Smash Bros, and games that are too casual and too focused on multi playing, like Mario Party.

Ofcourse games like New Super Mario Bros 2 and Luigi's Mansion seem like fun too to own, but are too casual for me to actually warrant a purchase.

In general though if anyone can recommend me an RPG I'd actually like, go for it. It's just that I remember playing Final Fantasy VIII (yeah I'm an oldfag) and I quit somewhere near the end of the game because I was so tired of all the random encounters and battles, of all the endless dialogue and plot twists leading to nothing and of the general slow pace of the game moving forward.
>>
>>333695997
>he thinks FFVIII makes him an oldfag

lel

In any case, sounds like JRPGs aren't your cup of tea, and most, if not all, RPGs on the 3DS are that.

Also, don't be too excited for Zelda ALBW, they literally just copied LttP's world and it's also way, way too easy. There's a more interesting hard mode, but you don't unlock it until you beat the game.

Pokemon have the same problem, they're even easier than they were back in the day, a 5 year old mashing buttons could beat them.

KH is alright but worse than the PSP one.
>>
>>333695997
Well, Dragon Quest games are fast turn based (not as Etrian Oddysey but still) but have enemies on screen so you can skip them if you want
Sadly these games are only japan (though DQ7-8 are coming late this year)

Btw Luigi Mansion 2 was really good and fun
>>
3DS is probably the worst Nintendo handheld and has the worst library of any by far. Would only recommend because you can pirate everything now otherwise I'd stay away from it.
>>
>>333695997
Link between worlds actually breaks a lot of molds and staples of other Zelda games, and it's main move on the wall mechanic is rather innovative
>>
>>333696836
Its still a 6/10 game when not being compared to other Zelda games.
>>
>>333696782
It just has a small library. When you think of it, the DS actually had a massive amount of games made for it.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.