[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come only Nintendo are capable of making god tier platformers?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6
How come only Nintendo are capable of making god tier platformers? Why can't Sony make anything worthwhile? Why hasn't anyone ever been able to make something that succeeds Mario as the bar setter for platforming games?
>>
Because Nintendo's the only company that people go to for platformers in the first place aside from a few indie devs, but comparing indie to AAA is useless in the first place.
>>
People stopped caring about platformers after the 90's. Now all people wanna play are sports games and fps.
>>
>>333694961

I am a person. I still love platformers.
>>
Too bad they didnt make a SMG/SM64 type game for the wii u. Thats one of the games i was waiting for but NOOOOOO we got this fucking 3d world shit.
>>
>>333695091
You aren't the majority so you don't matter.
>>
File: 1460089827709.png (119 KB, 806x806) Image search: [Google]
1460089827709.png
119 KB, 806x806
Hi
>>
>>333694724
Because a large proportion of today's gamers are adults. 3D platformers are like point and click adventure games in a way. Great when you're a kid and you don't mind/care about the horribly flawed gameplay but utterly annoying as an adult. No, awkwardly jumping around while in 3rd person isn't good gameplay. No, combining rubber tube with accordion to make a flying machine isn't good puzzle solving. Only to a child's mind are these challenges satisfying.
>>
>>333695184
3d World is the best 3d Mario game. Get over your shit taste, hombre.
>>
>>333696218
>horribly flawed gameplay but utterly annoying as an adult. No, awkwardly jumping around while in 3rd person isn't good gameplay
you just sound like a shitty player
>>
Rayman origins and legends are better than any 2d Mario
>>
>>333694724
Ratchet & Clank is out this Tuesday.

>mfw PS4 has more 3D platformers than the fucking wii u
>>
>mario 64 for n64
>a clusterfuck of bad controls, camera, and gameplay
>jumping flash! and crash bandicoot for PS
>does 3d platforming right by not making the goddamn camera flop around like a flea on crack and allows precision in movement
I'm sorry, you're so wrong you've argued the complete opposite of truth.
>>
>>333698039
lol not even better than the original SMB on NES

>>333698141
r&c is shit
>>
>>333694724
Platformers are too whimsical for the mainstream gamers of these days.
>>
File: 1447805258899.jpg (83 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1447805258899.jpg
83 KB, 1280x720
>>333694724
Pretty much because Mario platformers were so good all other platformers died because of it
>>
>>333696218
>I only play mature games for mature yadda yadda etc.
>>
>>333695365

even if its the best platformer to ever come on the GBC and a miracle that it fit into a cartridge, shantae is not that good of a platformer desu, i havent played pirate's curse though and i've heard they stepped it up.
>>
>>333698454
>SM64
>bad controls

this is the easiest way to tell if someone never actually played the game
>>
>>333696218

You sound like a 12 yo.

P&C require patience, something most people dont have in these days. Also most of the people that played them are probably old as fuck by know, boy should i know.

> horribly flawed gameplay

It's not horrid, they are supposed to be like a graphic novel with puzzles and some are quite genius. Plus its not like games have come far in the gameplay department, after halo set the bar down for console's and the whole industry ive yet to see games reach the same freedom they had before.
>>
>>333694724
>nintendo
>god tier platformers
kek nintendrone
>>
>>333696287
3DW is great and people do need to get off their horse because the are unable to recognize that all 3D marios are widely different from each other with the obvious exception of Galaxy 1 and 2 since 2 is a direct sequel.

However I would be lying if I said that I didnt feel that they pulled the punch in terms of level design in order to accommodate 4 player multi.
>>
>Why hasn't anyone ever been able to make something that succeeds Mario as the bar setter for platforming games?
Treasure did. Konami did. Capcom did. As others did. The franchises are either dead, or never cared about doing 3d platforms, or can't into transation from 2d to 3d, or companies don't care about plats anymore because doesnt sell like shooter.
And even Nintendo can't do very good platforming games anymore. Last one was pic related and was an update 2.1 from the first game and not a true sequel. That last one Yoshi game was a joke compared to what Nintendo could do in the past.
>>
>>333694724
Ubisoft.
>>
>>333700519
The original Halo was great, I didnt like any of the ones after though. and it wasnt Halo that buttfucked console shooters but CoD4:MW, while a great sequel in its own right directly lead to mass stagnation outside of Rainbow Six which was at the time already a shadow of its former self.

>Tfw Arena shooters are pretty much dead
It pains me everyday. At least Splatoon is pretty fun and I hope Overwatch ends up being good.
>>
>>333699928
>actually explain why I think only kids enjoy it
>still get the mature games for mature players such as myself reply
Thanks for reminding me where I am
>>
>>333700519
I was just pointing out that a lot of P&C puzzles are based on guesswork, where a kid would joyfully feel like he solved it when he guessed right and an adult would be annoyed because the puzzle wasn't solvable by use of logic. I just to be a huge LucasArts P&C fan when I was a kid btw.
>>
File: implying.jpg (11 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
implying.jpg
11 KB, 250x250
>>333698141
>R&C
>platformer
I love the games but come on, the platforming part isn't challenging at all
>>
>>333701606
*used to be
>>
>>333696218
Kill yourself pls
>>
>>333701606
not him, but my main experience with Point and Click Adventures were Humungous games, and Clue Finders and that one Carmen Sandiego game, and Bladerunner, so my impression of point and clicks are mostly positive
>>
>>333694724
nintendo tends to take their game (too) seriously. For other studios, platformers are shovelware only good to milk dumb kids of their money.
>>
>>333696218
Because a large proportion of today's gamers are adults. Fps games are like point and click adventure games in a way. Great when you're a kid and you don't mind/care about the horribly flawed gameplay but utterly annoying as an adult. No, awkwardly waving a gun around while in 1st person isn't good gameplay. No, combining rubber tube with accordion to make a flying machine isn't good puzzle solving. Only to a child's mind are these challenges satisfying.

Because a large proportion of today's gamers are adults. Rts games are like point and click adventure games in a way. Great when you're a kid and you don't mind/care about the horribly flawed gameplay but utterly annoying as an adult. No, micromanaging a retarded little army isn't good gameplay. No, combining rubber tube with accordion to make a flying machine isn't good puzzle solving. Only to a child's mind are these challenges satisfying.
>>
>>333701993
Are you making an argument or merely adding to mine? Because I agree on both of those. Well, while they rarely offer it, FPSs can be challenging and have a skill level, but RTS is literally just APM until the fastest player wins. It's garbage.
>>
>>333694724
Just finished galaxy 2 and have to say it was way too boring and easy.
All levels were like 3 minutes long on average and mostly relied on some new gimmick instead of a more in depth level of a previous power.
First one was 32424 times better, also had comfy hub.
>>
File: 1458841671090.png (24 KB, 177x207) Image search: [Google]
1458841671090.png
24 KB, 177x207
>>333702262
>he's actually a real autist
Oh my
>>
nintoddlers have only had like 3 notable game franchises ever and they're all aimed at children, manchildren and autistics
you're all pathetic.
>>
>>333698454
SM64 controls are fucking tight.
>>
>>333698454
>SM64
>Bad controls

that alone is enough to just completely disregard your statement.
>>
File: 3D World Snowman.gif (2 MB, 500x311) Image search: [Google]
3D World Snowman.gif
2 MB, 500x311
>>333696218

Logically if more developers were creating 3D Platformers where mastering contorl of the character in 3D space is required. We wouldn't have games like Ass Creed being designed to prevent you falling off edges or games like Shadow of Mordor, Ass Creed, Batman, Fable 2/3 or Witcher 3 where the game moves you towards the enemy if you press the attack button so that you don't miss even if you're facing the wrong way Or FPS games where all you're doing is guiding a 2 cursor over an enemy in gameplay that you could be done in 2D..

How can a 3D platformer be only for kids if you have to get Mario for example to jump on the enemies head where failing would likely have Mario take damage or running to close to a ledge will have you plummet to instant death?

I think a game about the player actually being able to control a character in 3D Space is a good one.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.