[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I fell for it. I picked one of these up today and it's a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4
File: 560.jpg (18 KB, 560x337) Image search: [Google]
560.jpg
18 KB, 560x337
I fell for it. I picked one of these up today and it's a fucking monstrosity. It's like Valve designed it to be as useless as possible for any game that already works well with a controller.

Maybe it's great for dong things like playing Civ V on the couch or something, but for anything that already works with a controller, this is the worst I have ever used in my life.
>>
>>333673385
Give it some time you autistic fuck.
>>
>>333673385
i thought mine was shit at first too then i messed with the settings and made a custom map for oblivion and it instantly became my favorite controller
>>
I don't own one but from what I gathered you need to configure it for every game.
>>
>>333673385
I've found it to be pretty much fantastic for all games except shooters.
Sure its no-where near as intuitive as xbox controllers, but it can be if you put time into customizing controls for every game.
>>
Anyone have a decent config for Dark Souls? I tried some of the community ones and none of them seem to work well for me.
>>
>>333673484
Same but platformers instead of shooters, shooters feel great, at least single player ones
>>
>>333673559
What kills Dark Souls for me is the pseudo-dpad. It takes way too much effort to click it to use it for item selection, and tapping it makes it way too easy to accidentally change a selection.
>>
>>333673451
What games do you like with it? I'm trying to play Dark Souls with it and it's just so awkward, but maybe I'm just not used to it yet. The real problems are the d-pad and the face buttons for me.
>>
>>333674272
Not that anon, but I haven't tried it with dark souls. I hated it for about two days until it clicked, I tried FEAR and it worked really well for learning the controller, it'll teach you to aim with the right pad and extra features (like binding lean to the paddles)
>>
>>333673385

Have you used an ouya? Just to get some range here.
>>
>>333674272

took me a good couple hours to get used to it. like i could tell you what i do with mine but it all comes down to how you like it. i personally dont like using the left pad as a trackpack and use it only on a push button basis, shit like that. with the division i mapped left grip to B and right grip to A so i could vault and get into cover easily, shit like that. i have yet to play souls with it though.
>>
>>333673385
I didn't like it the first day i got it.

Played Portal 2 and i love the thing. You need some time to figure out what sensitivity you like and what controls to use for certain games.
>>
>>333674542
Is there any way around how much force it takes to press down the left pad when you're using it like a d-pad? I want to use it to switch items in Dark Souls but it's just so much bigger than like a DS4 pad and takes so much more force to press down that it's really awkward. And when I make it work on touch it's too sensitive.
>>
>>333674953

that i dont know, definitely no way to do it software side. it does take a bit of a push to get that pad down on mine as well.
>>
Valve just announced they're doing a revision

Probably why they're bundling it on sale a lot to clear out the old stock
>>
>>333675178
Hah, shit, they announced that TODAY, didn't they? Guess I should've waited to buy one.
>>
>>333675178
source, can't find any
>>
File: 31v0S2hVNYL._SY400_.jpg (10 KB, 282x400) Image search: [Google]
31v0S2hVNYL._SY400_.jpg
10 KB, 282x400
>>333676713
My ass
>>
I'm looking forward to playing Pillars and Wasteland 2 with it.
Arrives tomorrow.
>>
>>333675384
>>333676713

If they keep bundling them at 40% off with games you gotta wonder something is up so I looked into it

http://www.gdcvault.com/search.php#&category=free&firstfocus=&keyword=steam+controller&conference_id=

It was low key

They said something about a revision in the works with a better look and feel.The said there would be no feature changes since they don't think it is necessary but it will def be an improvement in build material most likely.
>>
>>333677205
They've already done revisions, it's minor changes like slightly improved trackpads. There is no steam controller 2.0. They are selling them cheap because they want a userbase.
>>
It's pretty bad OP. I have one sitting here that I barely use. I've tried it for some of the older GTA games and that was alright. I can't even get the thing to work for Shovel Knight or BattleBlock. My friend likes to use it for Hearthstone. What are some games that actually benefit from it?
>>
>>333673385
>Buying this when Occulus Touch is coming out soon
Lol why?

VR and Controllers like this are so retarded
>>
>>333677364
>What are some games that actually benefit from it?
Any game that you would normally use Mouse/Keyboard for.
RPGs, RTSs, not really FPSs but maybe TPSs.
>>
>can't play FPSs even with this controller
What the fuck am I going to do for Overwatch, I play from the couch and my wireless mouse barely works well enough to browse the fucking internet
>>
>>333677462
I just don't see the benefit of using it over KB+M when that's already the best possible control scheme.
>>
>>333677815
It was made for people who want to use their PC's/Steam Machines with their TV and couches.

For me, I develop tendinitis easily because I'm a classical musician, so using a keyboard for many hours is really harmful. The controller will give me a way to play games longer and more comfortably.

But it's definitely a niche controller.
>>
>>333677979
At least you have something for you other than vidya. Good on you anon.
>>
>>333677770

get a lapdog or something
>>
>>333677770
You can, just not particularly competitively.
>>333678118
Yeah but I catch a lot of shit on here because I value story over complex gameplay. Maybe I'm doing something right if /v/'s mad at me though.
>>
>>333677815
They serve entirely different purposes.
>>
>>333678225
Story>gameplay all the way though anon. Fuck all this AAA garbage with no depth, give me a JRPG I can get engrossed in for hours on end.
>>
>>333673385
disliking the steam controller means you fall into one of two categories: the first is someone who wants to hate it and bought it with that intent, and used your stupidity (and 30 minutes of your time) to aggressively not understand it - its intuitive as fuck. the second is just someone who doesnt own one, but wants to bitch about it because hating it was trendy for a hot minute before everyone realized how great it is.
>>
>>333678447
>Fuck all this AAA garbage with no depth, give me a JRPG I can get engrossed in for hours on end.
P much
>>
>>333673462
for 95% of games, at this point, someone in the community who owns that game has uploaded a working/perfect layout. just browse the top used layouts and modify them as you see fit.
>>
>>333678471
Nah, it's just that I really don't like where the face buttons are and I can't find a way to use the right touchpad for third-person camera control that doesn't involve a ton more thumb movement than a normal right stick would.

Maybe my mistake is trying to use it for Dark Souls right off the bat instead of the kind of game it's meant for. I'll try it with an FPS or something tomorrow.
>>
>>333673484
Even for shooters, it shits ALL OVER classic controllers.

I literally bought it, and played a game of CSGO with recommended settings. I think i could easily get into DMG rank with it.
>>
>>333673559
the default recommended one is perfect.
>>
>>333673385
did you try it on an fps first? Because it works well with pretty much anything imo especially third person
>>
>>333674953
if you set it to cross gate emulation, itll only register when you hit the actual dpad part, so you dont bump it as easily when using touch.
>>
>>333678929
Yeah, I tried that after I posted it and it's pretty great. The d-pad is great for item selection now, no complaints there at all.

Now I just need to get used to the face button size/positioning and the extra thumb movement that moving the camera with the right touchpad requires. The camera is the bigger sticking point I think.
>>
>>333678603
the default template for dark souls makes dark souls like the easiest game to play with the controller though. it has the best settings so simple flicks will spin the camera to your back but you can still get 180 degrees of turning without removing your thumb.
>>
>>333679292
By default template, do you mean the recommended template or the most-used community configuration?
>>
>>333679395
recommended*
>>
Any game with a developer config will work great, just check out /r/steamcontroller they have a list of them.

yeah leddit is garbage but some of their stickies and shit are helpful.
>>
File: 1BEPJ6rkOlmJ.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg (78 KB, 878x493) Image search: [Google]
1BEPJ6rkOlmJ.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg
78 KB, 878x493
Why don't controller just stick a fight stick in there?
>>
>>333673385
I enjoyed it, OP. 150 hours on MGSV with that baby.
>>
>>333673385
If they made an abomination like this just imagine what they could do to Half-Life 3.
>>
>>333680129
>not playing fighting games with a dedicated fight pad
the left analog can be set to cross-gate emulation, while still providing way more functionality than a dpad - also the option to pulse the signal which is nice for certain games.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.