[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this game considered good? It's about as shallow
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: Yume1.jpg (16 KB, 641x479) Image search: [Google]
Yume1.jpg
16 KB, 641x479
Why is this game considered good? It's about as shallow as Gone Home/Dear Esther etc
>>
Because it's not Antony Burch
>>
>>333626271
it was pretty pioneer when it came out (eventough there was already stuff like LSD going around), lots of games are inspired by Yume Nikki in one way or another, or have similar elements

Right now I'd say Yume 2kki surpassed Yume Nikki because it's not only does it have three times the content, most areas aren't as empty as in Yume Nikki. But that's what 6 years of constant updates and counting does to you
>>
Because it's a game made 10 years ago in RPG maker when spoopy obscure japanese games were popular
>>
>>333626271
You know how people make a huge, grandiose plot and lore out of the breadcrumbs in Dark Souls? It's like that, but with a cute girl involved.
People love anything that lets them fill in blanks with their own fanwank.
>>
I don't want to argue about whether it is shallow (I don't think it is), but why can't something that's shallow be good? Some of my favorite games are extremely simple systems that are just fun to interact with and that's okay.
>>
File: 1319653906836.jpg (555 KB, 750x549) Image search: [Google]
1319653906836.jpg
555 KB, 750x549
>>333626271
Because it's pretty and has nice music. It's not a game, and it doesn't need to be one to be enjoyable.
>>
Because it's Japanese
>>
>>333626271
The same reason pac-man is considered good.

It was a new thing at the time, and no no other games could provide the same experience.
>>
>>333626921
>it's not a game
then what is it?
Pro:the answer is not art
>>
>>333626906
You're right that people can like shallow games, but I just assume that most people would prefer mechanical depth, so it's weird to me that it's so popular. How is the game deep?
>>
Because exploring surreal dreamscapes is comfy as fuck
>>
>>333626921
I'd argue that it is a game since there is a clear goal to work towards (collecting the various effects) and a form of antagonism (those bird things that warp you if they catch you). It lacks a failure state but do we want to disqualify Yoshi's Woolly World from its game status?
>>
>>333627156
A very early build of a rough draft of an idea of a game. Maybe.
>>
>>333627335
What the fuck answer is this?
It's a pretentious video game like gone home and dear ester there's no if's and's or but's
>>
>>333627335
What is it lacking that would make it a game? At this point it feels like whether or not something is a game has become an opinion rather than a fact and that's not something I want.
>>
Because it is the original weird homemade RPG.

Plus it was genuinely made by one guy as opposed to some hipsters in Oregon or London.
>>
>>333627321
>It lacks a failure state

This was never a requirement for something to be a game. Literally a made up argument by /v/
>>
>>333626271
This
>>333626842

Having a setting (with some internal consistency) where details and locations in the setting have to be earned instead of delivered to you on a silver platter makes that setting a more pleasurable experience to navigate.

It contains an element of mystery that games on rails can never hope to emulate.
>>
>>333627335
Yeah and LSD is just a beta too.
>>
>>333627485
Yume Nikki is everything but pretentious. The creator made no claims to the game being deep or having meaning. Only the fanbase did that.
>>
>>333627485
>It's a pretentious video game
Elaborate. What makes those games pretentious?
>>
>>333627518
Pls don't lump those Portland faggots in with us
>>
>>333627594
I agree but that's the most common one I hear.
In my opinion there really isn't a line between a toy and a game. Generally games have some sort of goal but not always (and sometimes toys have goals too).
>>
>>333627718
It tries to hard to be "deep" by not explaining anything and using images to convey some deeper meaning when in reality it's just a video game of some girl walking through a dreamscape with no story whatsoever
>>
>>333627485
Read:
>>333627649

Dear Ether and Gone Home are like the definition of railroaded stories, Yume Nikki was a non-linear narrative that allowed you to discover the rules and keys to its world with no particular definition of an ending.

Of course, once you plunder the depths of your dreams, you find one anyway.
>>
https://youtu.be/UZPW6aQBMs4
https://youtu.be/sdWbeB95NbM
>>
File: 1376773865563.jpg (499 KB, 800x3400) Image search: [Google]
1376773865563.jpg
499 KB, 800x3400
>>333627156
Interactive Fiction
>>
>>333627981
That's about as pretentious as it gets. Games that have to rely on some belief that it is "non linear" when in fact it is linear simply because it has a beginning and end to it are pretty pretentious especially when they make people believe that "OH ITS AMBIGUOUS YOu DETERMINE WHAT YOU THINK IS THE NARRATIVE" is pretty fucking pretentious. At least games like LSD were actually explained why they were created as opposed to this which literally was made by some tryhard who won't and hasn't explained shit which in turn comes off as pretentious.
>>
File: fan theories.png (1 MB, 960x706) Image search: [Google]
fan theories.png
1 MB, 960x706
>>333628493
That makes the fans pretentious, not the game or its creator. Pretentiousness can only apply to the person responsible for pretending there's meaning where there isn't any.
>>
>>333628493
It's non-linear from the standpoint you can miss huge segments of the setting without it having an impact on the 'campaign', but in the process you are missing much of the story within the game.

And no, it isn't about it being ambiguous, it's about it having a clear meaning despite it not being spelled out for you.

There's a joy to be had in drawing conclusions for yourself given only disparate pieces of information, without having it painstakingly spelled out for you. If you've never experienced that pleasure you're either thick as fuck or you're literally 12.
>>
>>333626271
it's japanese.
>>
>>333627335
This is the stupidest shit I've read all day
>>
>>333628354
But IF is a subset of videogames.
>>
>>333627283
this, and that it spawned its own genre of games (.flow, 2ki, undertale?) not counting LSD, and thats first person.

fun fact: there is a 3d version of yume nikki
>>
>>333626271
it isn't supposed to be a video game you kike
also it's freeware
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.