[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Nostalrius legality
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: illegalstopnow.jpg (212 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
illegalstopnow.jpg
212 KB, 1920x1080
How can Blizzard legally shut down private servers?

It just seems like something that can't be enforced legally unless the judge is a cuck.

Out of my 20 years of online gaming, I'v never seen such a thing being done... ever.

Quake, Half Life, Ever Quest, Rainbow Six, Team Fortress, Doom, Phantasy Star Online.
The list goes on and on... and many accept donations to help run the servers.

It's like restoring an old Ford, Mercedes or Dodge and having the companies try to stop you from doing so.

People claim this a copyright issue, but if this was an actual legit case then all public libraries should be shut down for breaking copyright laws. Half the internet should be blocked as well. You may as well fine yourself any time you went to a friends house for a party an watched a movie together that you didn't purchase.
>>
Cause they made the source material that's being used. That's how.

We can make valid points and point out a lot of similar situations, but in the end, it still gets shut down.

Sorry.
>>
Activision has loads of dosh.
Might makes right.

I mean, the case could possibly go in Nostalrius' favor in theory, but they have enough dosh to throw at the court to delay it and drive them all to literal zero, forcing them to drop the case.

And that, my friend, is why world without lawyers would be a much, much better world.
>>
>>333617041
my little anon cant be this retarded
>>
>>333617041
>Out of my 20 years of online gaming
>mfw

I'm not a judge and don't know the law of USA nor France, but I bet Blizzard could legally shut something down that are using/stealing thousands of 3d models and sprites.
>>
>>333617041
Only in one instance you listed were tge servers unauthorized, and that's PSO. Sega could have shut down SCHTHACK any time they wanted to but didn't give a shit since they weren't making money off PSO anymore.
>>
>>333617314
>the case could possibly go in Nostalrius' favor in theory
so lets make a world where both nosalrius and blizzard have lawyers with the same competence. and both sides acted in honest matter. it would look something like this

>nostalrius admins, did you had any financial profits for running this server?
>yes
>case closed, blizzard wins
>>
File: 1789.jpg (181 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
1789.jpg
181 KB, 640x960
>>333617312
>>333617346
>>333617471
>>333617620

Well these cosplay people are making money off of WoW trademarked intellectual property. They are making money on youtube videos, photo studios.

They should be sued and have to delete all of their pictures.

Why is no one doing anything about this?
>>
>>333617929
because at the same time, they give blizzard and their game positive publicity
>>
File: 12551371033_4527010a76_b.jpg (433 KB, 1024x736) Image search: [Google]
12551371033_4527010a76_b.jpg
433 KB, 1024x736
>>333618032

Another example...

This is illegal... They are copyrighting pictures of copyrighted trademarks.

They have to be shut down because they are making money off of these things.

What publicity? They pretty much wear the costume a few times, take the pictures, make the money, sell the costume to someone else.

This is fuckin illegal.
>>
>>333617929

Cause life isn't fair friend. It wasn't before we were born, and it won't be after we're dead. As someone above said, might makes right.
>>
>>333617929
You surely can't be this retarded?

Open up the Terms of Service, you know those things you agree to by installing and running the game?

They say you can't run a private server. End of story.
>>
>>333618457

Well I never said anything about fairness. What I am stating is that these people are breaking the law and they should be fined and shut down.
>>
>>333617929
Because they aren't making enough money off of it to pursue legal problems. The tradeoff isn't big enough.
>>
>>333617041
>How can Blizzard legally shut down private servers?
They send a letter in which they tell them to stop.
Else a short meeting in court will follow.

>all public libraries should be shut down for breaking copyright laws.
Not even remotely related to anything

>Half the internet should be blocked as well.
Yes.
And a lot of people are trying to.

>You may as well fine yourself any time you went to a friends house for a party an watched a movie together that you didn't purchase
If your bring some cola that you and your friend drink. Yes.
>>
>>333618585

Why not? It's not their server.

Are you really believing in this cuck policy?

If so, then you should throw away all of your used products in your house. You should be sued and put into jail for ever selling a game system or physical game to your friend.

Worse, if you ever borrowed a game to a friend you should see dire consequences of punishment.
>>
>>333618398
no it isnt.

THEY had to make a costume, and THEY are promoting the game and character, in exchange they get monet from OTHER PEOPLE.

BLIZZARD doesnt have to HIRE people to do this, PAY for costumes and PAY THE SALARY. and still THEY get FREE advertisement
>>
>>333618853
Why don't you go after them? You clearly see the problem, and know what's right. Sue them, and put things right.

Chances are though, you'll find out exactly why they get away with these things, and why people do not try to go after them.
>>
>>333618853
>You should be sued and put into jail for ever selling a game system or physical game to your friend.
>Worse, if you ever borrowed a game to a friend you should see dire consequences of punishment.
you are not wrong here. thats what most tos state
>>
>>333618853
We know you are buttblasted but don't throw away the LEGAL practice here. The terms of service for the video game World of Warcraft state you can't legally run a private server. Blizzard have the right to shutdown that server and hold anyone hosting or playing on it accountable. This is not something that was pulled out of thin air it is the legal law by which Blizzard have the right to act upon.

But hey, why don't you make your own case here? You can put 'cuck' in your statement on how Blizzard are in the wrong for defending the use of their IP. I'm sure you will win million of dollhair.

I believe in you, sport.
>>
>>333619109

They made the costumes in the likeness of blizzard trademarks and intellectual property.

These people are criminals and should be sued.
You think it's okay to steal other people's thoughts and ideas and get rich off them?

You are fuckin scum.
>>
>>333619482
>You think it's okay to steal other people's thoughts and ideas and get rich off them?
but at the same time they are making blizzard rich.
>>
>>333618853
OK, I'm going to make a really big (and probably stupid) assumption here and assume you're arguing in good faith and are not functionally retarded. Here goes.

Physical goods have a longstanding notion in consumer law known as the right of first sale, or right of resale (depending on where you are in the world). This means that when you purchase a physical product, you own it and it is yours to do with as you see fit. If I want to sell my barbecue to someone else, I can because its mine.

Software does not fit neatly into this definition, as it has no real physical presence. Microsoft came up with the idea of product licenses, and it was upheld in the courts in the USA. As a result, you don't actually OWN software, you have purchased the right to use it.

World of Warcraft, as an MMO, does not exist outside of Blizzard's servers. By setting up a private server, the Nostalrius team has impinged upon that territory, violated the terms of the license agreement, and I can guarantee you that any court in the USA, EU or Australia will side with Blizzard on this. Money and Lawyers don't even need to enter the equation.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.