[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone know any good space flight games? I got this new flight-stick
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 7
File: 1439263885509.webm (3 MB, 680x384) Image search: [Google]
1439263885509.webm
3 MB, 680x384
Anyone know any good space flight games? I got this new flight-stick and I'm eager to use it.
>>
Freelancer
>>
File: 1433905677677.webm (3 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
1433905677677.webm
3 MB, 960x540
>>333572649
Right on, anything else?
>>
File: 1433905748759.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1433905748759.webm
3 MB, 640x360
>>333572608
Actually, anyone know the name of this game here in OP?
>>
>>333572873
Elite: Dangerous
>>
File: fractured space eSport 2.png (261 KB, 594x334) Image search: [Google]
fractured space eSport 2.png
261 KB, 594x334
I'd you interested in playing big ships from assault corvettes to massive capital ships, I recommend Fractured Space.

5v5 ASSFAGGOTS but with 3D space combat, capture points, a middle zone for buffs, and a massive map. Also they added 5v5 deathmatch with random ships as well.
>>
>>333572608
What game is this???
>>
>>333573590
>>333572873
see >>333573565

it's not good, save your money
>>
>>333572649
Might as well suggest Star Citizen.

>>333572873
>>333573590
Everspace
>>
>>333573727
>Might as well suggest Star Citizen.

that's what he said
>>
Star Citizen if you're okay with janky alpha gameplay.
>>
>>333572608
Free Space 2 open. Other than that, wait until Star Citizen launches or buy Elite Dangerous when it goes on sale for 15 bucks. That's when it's worth it.
>>
>>333573676
That's not Elite.
Though agreed Elite is not good, it does let you use your flight stick though.
>>
>>333572736
That tree would have clipped his wing. Next
>>
>>333572608
X
Don't play rebirth though.
>>
>>333573565

No. Every 6 months I get hyped up because of updates and pretty screenshots, and every time I'm disappointed by an empty unwelcoming universe, a gamut of boring randomly generated quests, and a complete lack of any story to the universe. It's all just one big tech demo that never ends.There's literally no reason to play.
>>
>>333574127
I wish E:D had a fraction of the environments this trailer has. I don't know how far along or even good Everspace is, but those environments. Hnnnggg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE0crTqvt6A
>>
>wanna fly around having space battles?
freespace 2 open
>wanna play play space truck simulator?
elite dangerous
>>
>>333573869
>>333574127
I know, I just wanted to see if he would buy it.

I'm with the latter anon though, I'm still waiting for Elite: Dangerous to become good. It has so much potential, if only they could give it a compelling story or something to pull me through the game.

I really just want an updated version of Freelancer to play. Even exploring after the campaign was fun and exciting, like running across that sector with the Neutron Star in it. Scared the fuck out as a kid with how it just whittled away at your shields with its intense radiation.

By contrast Elite: Dangerous made goddamn -black holes- boring.
>>
>>333574675
ED had so much potential which is why it frustrates me so much. I stopped playing both because it got boring but also cause it makes me angry how good it could have been.

I might come back and check it out in 9 years or so when their 10 year roadmap is complete.
>>
>>333574675
>when you found the unknown systems in freelancer
>when you landed on the ape planet
That game had so many cool systems.
There needs to be more games with that kind of exploration.
>>
>>333574992
> 10 year roadmap

Any devteam that claims they have 10 years of content planned out for a game are not to be trusted. If they knew what the hell they were doing it wouldn't take them 10 years to finish the game.
>>
>>333574992
>10 year roadmap

Yeesh, I hope that's because of the amount of content they plan on adding, and not because of their development speed.

I was thinking about throwing caution to the wind anyway and getting the... Horizons expanded version? Apparently it's not an expansion, but it also doesn't contain the core features of Elite Dangerous or something, which was what in the end convinced me to keep waiting.
>>
For the anybody in the thread considering actually picking up Elite: Dangerous:

Just wait. Seriously. If you aren't an astronomy nerd who finds the rather limited astrological phenomenon in the game interesting you will quickly run out of things to do.
>>
>>333575031
I know right?

I loved finding the planet of the raider ships, who are apparently these viking humans who have become addicted to the planet's atmosphere or something.

And how while the atmosphere somehow gave them preternaturally long lives, they also could no longer survive without it.
>>
>>333575120
>>333575250
Yeah I got into without knowing about the 10 year roadmap thing. Laughed a bit when I heard it.

>>333575542
>If you aren't an astronomy nerd who finds the rather limited astrological phenomenon in the game interesting you will quickly run out of things to do.
And if you are an astronomy nerd you'll get annoyed about details like black holes looking like shit or Achenar not being flattened due to spin. So it kind of fails on all accounts.
>>
>>333575542
I wish they'd make the astrological phenomenon actually dangerous to deal with. Like maybe when you encounter black holes anything but the most advanced ships get buffeted by immense gravitational waves or something.

Anything to make them more threatening than the youtube videos of people placidly approaching the things before they pass some threshold and automatically die.

That's literally as dangerous as ordinary planets in most space faring games.
>>
>>333575586
That was the coolest story in the whole thing for me.
The planet has a plant that will only grow there and it changes your DNA to make you addicted to it. It's why every person outcast you talk to has in inhaler sticking out of their nose. So they're like, fuck that, we'll make the whole colonies addicted and they can only buy the drug from us.
Needless to say I almost always sided with them in the late exploration part. Cardamine smuggling makes so much money.
>>
>>333576009
If I remember correctly, the ships they had were fucking amazing too.

And all things considered, if the plant has a side effect of doubling your life span it seems a small price to pay to always have to take it.
>>
>>333576001
I feel like fdev spent all development making a system which simulates the galaxy and then they released and filled with nothing. Game should have storms in space, derelect worlds and ships, massive stations to explore, planets with raging atmospheres.

But then again, their game is broken ranging from AI to unlocking some ships. Guess it is to be expected.
>>
>>333576308
I just like how they decided to run with it and make money off of it.
I also like how you discover it. You usually don't side with pirates during the story (at least never for long) So they're just a bunch of drug smugglers to you, but when you get friendly with them and read the information pieces you learn how the drug affects people and why they're smuggling it. And you learn pretty much all the lore this way, like the outcasts and Corsairs both hailing from the wreck of the Hispania only to kill eachother centuries later.
The lore really made the game much more interesting than the story imo.
>>
>>333576691
It certainly would have made the game more purchasable, which would have helped them in the long run I imagine.
>>
File: 1438711120736.webm (3 MB, 740x416) Image search: [Google]
1438711120736.webm
3 MB, 740x416
I own elite dangerous. I know it's space and all that, but it's fairly boring event wise. When I investigate something in space, I want to see like space colonies, and huge wrecked ships. I just want my combat environments to be a little more varied than just vast open space. I want the environments form the arena mode in the main game. That and more combat related quests that don't require hours of scanning for bounties.

Played warthunder. I like it, but the mouse controls are far superior to flightstick controls.

Star citizen runs like shit on my comp, might reinstall maybe it was patched.
>>
>>333577309
>but the mouse controls are far superior to flightstick controls
You're supposed to play sim with a stick.
>>
File: wallhaven-92602.jpg (464 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
wallhaven-92602.jpg
464 KB, 1920x1200
GOG has the X-Wing/TIE Fighter collections in all their versions, if you don't mind the old visuals.
>>
>>333577309
Star citizens ptu will run like shit. It's server side. Try ea arena commander. 60 fps in that is wonderful.
>>
>>333577518
Sim mode doesn't qeue up fast enough for me.

I have a flight stick. I just don't want to spend $5 per mission to buy all the historical missions.
>>
Freelancer is designed around mouse use, I don't know if you can even use a flight stick with it.

Play Freespace 1 and 2 instead.
>>
>>333577729
2.3 EC had quite short queue times for me. What were you trying to play?
>>
>>333572649
Freelancer doesn't support sticks
>>
>>333577309
>>333577675
Server patches are coming, at least that's what they say in Bug Smashers and ten-four.
>>
>>333578016
Persistence is coming. Hopefully free flight again soon. I want to have some friends try out multicrew.
>>
I think you may have to look into it... but I vaguely remember strike suit infinity/zero being able to use one
>>
>>333578442
SSZ supports flight sticks and HOTAS, but it's kind of a pain in the ass to play like that.
>>
>>333578442
it has a very simplified control scheme, it's certainly a lot more like Rogue Squadron than X-Wing vs Tie Fighter. a flight stick might work but i doubt it's better than mouse controls for it.
>>
just play some freespace, tychyon: the fringe, x-wing/tie fighter games (or atleast xwing alliance if you don't want super graphics), wing commander games (the later ones at least, since I don't think I and II played well with sticks)

>>333572649
You mean STARLANCER, the game with better combat no one played.
>>
Thinking about playing rogue leader on dolphin emulator. Just have to go through the whole hassle of binding keys/motions.
>>
The original sinistar
>>
>>333579447

I came her to recommend all of these

ESPECIALLY Tachyon: The Fringe. Easily one of the best games like this I've ver played, and your main character (Jake Logan) is voiced by Bruce Campbell (Ash, Evil Dead) so everything is campy and hilarious (at least when I was 14).

Starlancer (despite it being by microsoft) is also fucking great.

All wing commanders but ESPECIALLY Wing Commander 3 and 4 (III and IV*).

Privateer 2 is also an option.

I really wish I had new games like that; X series is about as close as I can get and it's really not the same.
>>
>>333580370
microsoft only published starlancer. Digital Anvil wasn't bought out by microsoft at that point. Chris roberts only sold DA to microsoft after he ran out of money making freelancer.

Also, Allegiance, which was actually developed by a Microsoft studio, is a very good multiplayer game. The game is now open source and the free version, Free Allegiance, is still populated last i checked.
>>
>>333573567
The game is pretty bland though, lacks content, and already has surpassed wargaming tier grind to gayjew tier grind when it comes to credits. Its a buy to play f2p game. There's another game coming out called dreadnoughts that so far looks to be fractured space but better in every way and no f2p horseshit. They also abandoned strike suit to make it and didn't release the last patch they were working on nor the content they promised to release. The servers are also horrendously shit and MM is so broken that it can freeze itself trying to put together a game. And if someone leaves you will lose 100% of the time unless the enemy is completely incompetent.
>>
>>333580370

I forgot to mention, descent 2 is actually pretty good at this and still fits it

descent 3 also, but the game is worse.

Sol Exodus also.

http://www.polygon.com/2012/10/19/3528136/the-next-starfighter

It was tenbux in 2012, i wonder, its probably even cheaper now.

It's not as good as the others but it's still 'something' and it looks pretty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64F2upio0yI

You can check out gameplay from Tachyon here. It's really fucking good.

Strike Suit Zero is another 'new' one that's "pretty okay, but it's no freespace 2" if you catch my drift. It's still really good though.

Evochron Legacy is one i always wanted to try but haven't had time to recently.

FreeAllegiance is also worth trying if you're looking for more space sims.

There's more, I just can't think of them.
>>
File: 1438636065904.webm (2 MB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1438636065904.webm
2 MB, 800x600
Looking on steam, there's star wars x-wing, tie-fighter, and x-wing vs tie-fighter. Which one should I get?
>>
>>333581627

none cuzgraffix are OLD and GAY lolllolll fags
>>
>>333574675
>potential
>>333574992
>potential
Potential only exists if it can be achieved

Braben will never let ED be anything other than a remake of the original game. Welcome to the Vision.
>>
>>333581721
It could be achieved. If Braben dies and maybe Ian Bell could take over.
>>
>>333581721

I mean they are making ambition strides with adding the whole "you can land on planets and do missions with your little rover". But the overall feel of the game is still very boring.

In game voip has this filter to make it sound like you're really talking on a radio. They need to have like a "incoming message" feature, so you can send voip to other players and threaten them/fuck with them. Right now the only way to patch into other players is to join their party.
>>
>>333581721

ED's problem is it has 9 million miles of water (content) that's only 2 feet deep (fucking shallow)
>>
>>333581882
Braben's vision will never die

But tune in next week for another 'Ship 500,000,000 goods to location X and you can make a part of a space station where your reward is a handful of credits!'

>>333581935
>They need to have like a "incoming message" feature, so you can send voip to other players and threaten them/fuck with them. Right now the only way to patch into other players is to join their party.
Not going to happen, in fact they have taken a huge number of steps to ensure PvP is not a viable way to play and player interaction is limited. The forumdads dont like PvP, so PvP isnt going to be improved.

Sure do love the fact that Alt+F4 is still a viable way to escape PvP combat.
>>
>>333582115
>>333581935

how about elite dangerous arena?

its just pvp, no rest of the boring game

this is real, and its like 10 or 15 bucks

i havent tried it but i saw a preview and it looked pretty good

basically since you arent losing anything on your 'real' account you can do more crazy risky stuff
>>
>>333582370
Its horrendous and also dead.

You only get a 3 ships to use in boring as shit 'maps' where every fight takes place in empty space since none of the space ships are designed for anything else other than fighting in a void.
>>
>>333582513
I agree with everything you said except the last part. When I played this a couple months ago I used cover occasionally.

I just want more interesting combat environments injected into the main game's random encounters.
>>
>>333582668
Not going to happen. The Vision wont allow it.
>>
>>333572608

Starpoint Gemini 2
>>
Freespace 2.

The best space game ever made.
>>
>>333582370
ED pvp is fucking shit. Fucking blimbs fighting each other with stupid gamey mechanics.
>>
>>333573567
I got this game for free somehow. I think it used to be free on steam, then it got pulled for awhile and came back as payed.
>>
>>333583302
i just remember downloading it and the controls were all sorts of fucked up. maybe ill try again
>>
>>333572608
Ur mums cunt simulator 2017
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.