[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What video games will fill me with a sense of existential dread?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5
What video games will fill me with a sense of existential dread?
>>
Is Space Engine a video game?
>>
>>333563732
What does existential dread feel like? Would I even feel? Would it even matter what I felt?
>>
you don't need video games for that

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_death_of_the_universe
>>
STALKER, maybe.
>>
>>333564008
It feels like life when things stop occupying time
>>
>>333563732
Halo 2
>>
File: 1460053673977.jpg (95 KB, 453x568) Image search: [Google]
1460053673977.jpg
95 KB, 453x568
>existential dread
The worst thing in the existence is the time between birth and death.
The rest is painless.
>>
File: 1363592168127.jpg (4 KB, 171x158) Image search: [Google]
1363592168127.jpg
4 KB, 171x158
a game called "lie in bed in the dark and try to sleep"

it works for me

every night
>>
>>333564146
I'll see your heat death and raise you a metastability event.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_vacuum#Vacuum_metastability_event
>>
>>333564146
>reading all the possible but inevitable shit that could happen in a long time
I know I'll be long gone by the time they occur, but god damn does it fill me up with dread just thinking about it.
>>
>>333563732
Bloodborne and dark souls
>>
Daggerfall does it for me. The dungeons are so incredibly vast, and the world seems so lifeless and empty despite its population. It inspires a very distinct feeling of desolation.
>>
>>333564520
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strangelet
>>
Bastion and Transistor kind of hit that general feeling.
>>
Outer Wilds kind of worked for me. It's a tiny space sim but it still made me feel like an insignificant spec in the universe.
>>
>>333564520

Every time I read this shit and every time I do not understand it. What's the difference between a false and true vacuum?
>>
>>333563732
Not vidya but it's still worth the read.
http://multivax.com/last_question.html
>>
Soma.
>>
>>333564008
internal AND external screaming in harmony
>>
>>333563732
SOMA
>>
>>333564889
False vacuum has a higher energy state, so if we do something wrong, we could trigger the conversion from false to real vacuum
>>
>>333564889
A false vacuum state is unstable and can collapse into a lower-energy, stable "true vacuum" without warning. If our universe exists in a false vacuum state, it could be annihilated at any moment with no way for us to predict it and literally nothing we could do to survive it.
>>
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture.
>>
>>333565045
I was kind of intrigued by SOMA, but never tried it. Is it any good?
>>
>>333565241

It's very good. Completely nails what it's going for and manages to stay compelling the entire way through.
>>
>>333564918
This is a pretty good story. Definitely worth a read.
>>
>>333564918
I like this story too, was just thinking about it the other day. Actually isnt quite as morose as I expected.
>>
File: swapper.jpg (34 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
swapper.jpg
34 KB, 460x215
>>333563732
this desu

it's short, has some neat puzzles, and has some neat themes.
>>
>>333564956
this.
>feel alone and afraid, alienated by the corpse in a suit that your mind has been uploaded onto
>wonder if you even have a soul anymore, and if your place in heaven has been taken by the real you who died long ago
>share your fears with a girl who lives on a thumbdrive
>"i'll pm you the fix ;)"
>tfw you never get the pm
>tfw the you she pmed wasn't you
>>
>>333565647
How have I not heard of this? Sounds pretty fucking neat.
>>
>>333565925
It's well worth it if you can get it for cheap. It's been on many sales over the past few years.

The ending left me speechless for something that comes out of such a small game.
>>
Play Civ IV/V on a huge map all by yourself and really immerse yourself in whatever civ you're playing as. Sprawl uncontested over a barren world as the illusion slowly evaporates.
>>
File: don'tgvafuc.gif (935 KB, 500x227) Image search: [Google]
don'tgvafuc.gif
935 KB, 500x227
Time is the apex predator. Nothing or nobody can escape its grasp. All existence is already doomed, from the moment it started existing. Time is the true Alpha and Omega.
>>
>>333565095

So we don't know if we're in a false vacuum or not?
>>
Bloodborne actually did a really good job of this, assuming you slowly increase your Insight and don't read about all the weird shit online like I'm letting you know about right now.
>start hearing voices
>statues become more and more deformed and inhuman
>start seeing the amygdala fucking everywhere

It was wacky shit.
>>
>>333567596
Apparently not, but we know it's a possibility.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.