[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are turn based RPGs obsolete? >decide to play FFVII since
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 11
File: images (7).jpg (12 KB, 284x177) Image search: [Google]
images (7).jpg
12 KB, 284x177
Are turn based RPGs obsolete?

>decide to play FFVII since I never played it
>can't get over how slow turn based combat is

I grew up playing the old Final Fantasy games on the Super Nintendo and other turn based RPGs, but I can honestly say I've had a lot more fun with ARPGs like Bloodborne and The Division.

Is there any reason to bring turn based RPG combat back other than nostalgia?
>>
>>333555353
No, stop having ADD.
>>
>>333555493
But what does turn based combat honestly add? Very rarely does it amount to anything more than pressing the same button over and over again.
>>
If there's one reason, it's that they're the only RPGs that hit the ground with as few bugs as possible. If devs and testers were competent(and consumers didn't eat every turd with a big brown grin), then no, there would be no reason.
>>
>>333556650
>Very rarely does it amount to anything more than pressing the same button over and over again.
only in jrpgs which are basically adventure games broken up monotonous combat where you just mash through menus and watch an animation
turn based combat can add a lot of tactical depth you are just looking at the wrong games
>>
File: 1458038116044.png (511 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1458038116044.png
511 KB, 800x600
>>333555353
TB combat can be good, FF7 just has shitty combat, FFX is much better in that department
>>
>>333555353
>>333555353
>Are turn based RPGs obsolete?
No, but I'm not married to them. I very much look forward to FFVIIR's system and XV
>>
Not really any reason for a resurgence, though I'm glad the genre is still around to carry on the legacy of older games.

Funnily enough actual turn-based games like FFX are much faster than the ATB games.
>>
>incapable of enjoying more than 1 genre
wow
>>
Tried turning up the battle speed?
>>
>>333556650
If you're paying the same button over again, you're still at the beginning of the game and need to give it an actual chance
>>
>obsolete

I have more fun playing Persona than any other tales games
>>
>>333555353
Yeah, I guess the fact that JRPGS are almost completely dead and turn based jrpgs on the handhelds and mobile space are multibillion dollar industries are just a coincidence.

No, you're right. That's what everyone wants.
>>
>>333555353
On PC and consoles? Yes. On mobile? No.
>>
File: divos.jpg (127 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
divos.jpg
127 KB, 640x480
>>333556650
>But what does turn based combat honestly add?
Gee, I don't know.
>>
>>333556650
And action game is not pressing the same button over and over?
>>
File: Sephiroth_Dissidia_Artwork.png (659 KB, 908x1085) Image search: [Google]
Sephiroth_Dissidia_Artwork.png
659 KB, 908x1085
>>333559201
>Yeah, I guess the fact that JRPGS are almost completely dead and turn based jrpgs on the handhelds and mobile space are multibillion dollar industries are just a coincidence.

That can really be said for just about any genre in mobile/portable gaming in Japan, though. When I was over there, literally fucking EVERYONE I hung out with was playing Dissidia, and Crisis Core had come out literally the year before and it was just as huge.

JRPGs is really just one of the genres that do well on that platform due to how leisurely they can be played.
>>
>>333559583
I've never played that game. Explain?
>>
>>333555353
I have no problems with turn based combat games. You are just getting too ADHD
>>
File: 1454376329964.png (151 KB, 339x288) Image search: [Google]
1454376329964.png
151 KB, 339x288
>>333559146
>playing a persona game other than 1 for the gameplay
>>
>>333559146
>>333560834
>playing Persona
>>
>>333556650
>Very rarely does it amount to anything more than pressing the same button over and over again.
You just described every video game ever.
>>
>>333555353

Yes. With the technology available to us now, it's a complete waste of time/effort.

AXB is the future, but I hope the 7 remake has a mix between ATB/AXB.

Anyone who disagrees should go back to >>>/vr/ and enjoy their slow braindead "gameplay".
>>
>>333555493

I love how it's always ADD or kid.

Nostalgiafags are such condescending manchildren who can't stop clinging to the past.
>>
File: EndLayer.jpg (44 KB, 400x338) Image search: [Google]
EndLayer.jpg
44 KB, 400x338
>>
>>333555353
Stop getting distracted by shiny shit.

Wanna play FFVII right? Focus on Materia combos for the most fun.

Anything like Added Cut, Added Steal, etc, stacks if you have more than one Materia type on it.

So buy three Deathblows and throw on Added Cut, Added Steal, and HP Drain. Congrats, every time you use Deathblow now, you're tossing in a regular attack on top, a steal attempt, and some HP recovery.

This also stacks with Magic, and Counter Magic.

So if you slap, say, 3 Fire Materias on Cloud with Added Cut, Added Steal, and Counter Magic, every time someone slaps the blond cunt he'll light them on fire, do a physical attack, then steal their shit. He'll also throw in a physical attack and steal their shit every time he lights someone on fire by choice.

With the right setup, it's possible to put your controller down and watch a well-equipped party beat bosses with counters.
>>
>>333561508

So yes?

They should stay on handhelds.
>>
>>333555353
>ARPGs like
>The Division
>>
>>333561407
You're not doing a whole lot to prove that impression wrong.
>>
>>333561526
Final Attack + Phoenix OTP.
>>
>>333561508
Bravely Default/Second are garbage
FFV did literally everything about it better 20 years ago.
>>
>>333562091

Nothing needs to be done.

Nostalgiafags are the most immature babies you could ever converse with.
>>
>>333562225
Games coming out in 2014 have nothing to do with nostalgia.
>>
>>333562278

>handheld games
>>
>>333555353

That's the same level of clueless as asking if turn based chess or poker is obsolete. Real-time offers no advantages over turn based in RPGs.
>>
>>333555353
I recently started playing The Last Remnant, which looks and feels pretty good. I haven't been playing for a terribly long time, though, so I guess it's too early to make a call.

The one thing that does bother me about turn based games is how many of them started introducing that "upgrade your weapon through use of components" bullshit to artificially drag out gameplay time forcing you to collect RNG drops from enemies if you wanted to upgrade your equipment. Last Remnant does this, too, and it's even more annoying because the character has to be in your party at the end of the encounter, they have to be the only one to "request" the dropped item, and of course, the enemy actually has to drop the item, instead of just being able to at least put the items into general inventory and then distribute them in the future as you wish.

That's the one huge flaw I see in the game right now, everything else seems okay.

Man, I am really upset about the components to upgrade thing. It's so popular now. Whatever happened to being able to just honestly go into a shop and prioritize which equipment you would buy for which characters with your hard earned [whatever the RPG you're playing uses as currency]?
>>
>>333562428
>PC game
>handheld
Full retard.
>>
>>333562432
>comparing turn-based to chess

geez nostalgiafags really are up themselves
>>
>>333562432
>Real-time offers no advantages over turn based in RPGs

Except everything.

turn-based is too limited to evovle
>>
>>333561304

/thread
>>
>>333559804
No, stupid.
The games are making bank because the console versions of them are all horribly derivative, based on the worst kinds of anime, and the battle systems are all actiony. Bad actiony.

People want to play a game that's low investment and have fun.

Action and the modern unpopular stories basically ruins a lot of the appeal of the genre.

>>333561304
Action RPGs are older then turn based rpgs and have been made alongside turnbased rpgs since there were fucking consoles.

No, I take that back. Turnbased console games didn't exist back in the atari days. It was basically all just action rpg/adventure stuff.
>>
File: bravelydefault_town.jpg (250 KB, 1038x493) Image search: [Google]
bravelydefault_town.jpg
250 KB, 1038x493
>>333561624
That's irrelevant. I would get one for the console as well.
>>
>>333562193
>nostalgia glasses
>>
>>333562741
>Real-time offers no advantages over turn based
only that it isn't turn based
>>
>>333562614
If it wasn't for the components you really wouldn't have much to do other than side quests.
>>
>>333563232
In Last Remnant specifically, or turn based RPGs in general?
>>
File: hoy.jpg (33 KB, 235x330) Image search: [Google]
hoy.jpg
33 KB, 235x330
>>333559146
>Persona
>Good turn-based battle system
>>
>>333563434
TLR

I've beaten it several times. Sometimes you need your party members to actually ask for the item, too. Outside of exploring, the main quest and side quests you don't have much to do other than upgrade your army.
>>
>>333563061
>then

shut up you dumb nigger
>>
File: 1436411722314.jpg (46 KB, 312x312) Image search: [Google]
1436411722314.jpg
46 KB, 312x312
>>333555353
>all these queers that played 1 FF game and think they know the best of TBS
>>
>>333555353

Turn based requires more intelligence, so I can see why a lot of /v/ wouldn't like it.
>>
>>333562614
That is the only flaw?
Last remnant was a horribly unfun clusterfuck. The game was buggy on top of having one of the worst turnbased systems I've ever played.

As for upgrading weapons?
This isn't even fucking new. It's been around in games for years. You hate it in the last remnant because, like everything else in the game, it's a horribly implemented version of a system that JUST WERKS.
>>
>>333563749
>Grammar Nazi

FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGG
>>
>>333563891
>Last remnant was a horribly unfun clusterfuck.
t. someone who doesn't understand SaGa games
>>
>>333564034
Basically this.
>>
>>333556650
Wow, a video game where all you do is press the same button over and over? Color me surprised!
>>
> more buttons and being fast = more fun

What the Hell is going on? It all depends on the game, sure some RPGs are slower paced with more simple combat controls but that doesn't take away the fun.

More buttons can make the input part of the game more complicated but with turn based games you can plan turns ahead and usually with turn based combat, there's less room for mistakes unless you take the time to prepare and grind for combat. Good example of a turn based RPG is FFX. It's not the hardest game in the world but it makes you think. You can't just mash away or else your gear and attacks will prove ineffective.

I'm a fan of both turn based RPGS and ARPGs but there's no reason to say turn based RPGs are obsolete because they're older and take less inputs. And if a turn based RPG does prove to be too easy there's always manual ways of bumping up difficulty to give yourself a challenge
>>
Real time is simply progression. Turn based games are turn based because the developers can't figure out how to do what they want in real time, just like why 2D games are 2D games instead of 3D Devs can't figure out how to do 3D so they do 2D instead.

Common knowledge.
>>
>>333561727
>implying its not an RPG

It is though.
>>
>>333564363
Technically it's not but whatever.
>>
>>333564414
Give me an actual reason why its not.
>>
>>333563764
>implying

I said I've played others, like 4 and 6 and some of the spinoffs, just not 7 before now.
>>
>>333564461
It's obviously a generic shooter
>>
>>333564552
Make sure to play V, IX, X, and XII. As homework. III is extra credit.
>>
>>333564581
That's not an actual reason. If the Division isn't an RPG, then neither is Dark Souls.
>>
>>333563810
>Turn based requires more intelligence

nice b8
>>
>can't get over how slow turn based combat is
There are games with sluggish and unengaging turn-based combat, turn-based games that make you feel like a master strategist, and others that fall between. They aren't all made the same.

Even if the combat isn't really demanding, the combat in many turn-based games is as satisfying as playing venerated puzzle games. It works, just play games that don't suck or accept that it isn't your thing.
>>
>>333564686
Fine with me.
>>
>>333563061
>People want to play a game that's low investment and have fun.
Which I guess is why everyone over in Japan loved Dissidia, PSP KH, and Crisis Core.

Stop it with this "B-But MY favorite version of RPG mechanics is the real popular version!" bullshit. People in Japan just like portable games because they few of them get a lot of free time to themselves at home.
>>
File: 1456634104969.gif (11 KB, 180x230) Image search: [Google]
1456634104969.gif
11 KB, 180x230
Real issue with FF7 is the fuckton of weird shitty and clunky minigames.

Some are alright, many are not. Replaying shit is a bitch.
>>
>>333564804
>>333559804
Monster Hunter is stupid popular, as well.
>>
>>333564806
I can agree with this
>>
>>333564806
Yeah, no, VII has the opposite problem. The minigames are the only thing that keep the game interesting because the rest of the game gets steamrolled by anyone with a basic idea of what materia do, especially if they're using Enemy Skill. The minigames are at least SOMETHING engaging instead of mind-numbingly easy and boring.

FFVI has the same problem and has zero minigames to keep it interesting, and guess what, it's an absolute trainwreck of a game as a result.
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.