[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Now that the dust has settled, what went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 222
Thread images: 24
File: FO4.png (409 KB, 1263x560) Image search: [Google]
FO4.png
409 KB, 1263x560
Now that the dust has settled, what went wrong?
>>
I actually like Fallout 4 a lot except for a few things.

The story was the biggest problem. Beth should fire the guy who wrote this and Fallout 3 already. It made no sense, it forced you to play a specific character, and the ending was both predictable and extremely disappointing.

Also, the factions kind of sucked, especially Preston Garvey.
>>
Awful sidequests that are linear as shit and too much time devoted to the settlement bullshit.

I actually liked everything else.
>>
File: fallout 4 in a nutshell.png (294 KB, 1174x1878) Image search: [Google]
fallout 4 in a nutshell.png
294 KB, 1174x1878
>>333520734

I struggle with depression and FO4 was such a disappointment it made me want to kill my self at times. It was so bad it has ruined the entire franchise for me.

pic related
>>
File: 1444979942213.jpg (58 KB, 600x737) Image search: [Google]
1444979942213.jpg
58 KB, 600x737
There are some nice things in there, they're just far outweighed by how superficial the role playing is and how much combat there is.

>mfw I fell for the season pass
>>
>>333521993
>a DLC apparently came out
>literally nobody talking about it
>>
File: 1445940760684.jpg (564 KB, 1500x1714) Image search: [Google]
1445940760684.jpg
564 KB, 1500x1714
>wrong
It's GOTY 2015 and 2016, are you on crack?
>>
>>333520734
Todd
>>
It was good, but it needed more soul. Like Oasis in Fallout 3. Goofy and wacky stuff like The Silver Shroud was great.
>>
>>333520734

You are a little fuck.
>>
Story was pretty shitty. Enjoyed most of the companions. Settlement building was all right. I enjoyed scrapping everything at a new one I would find. Exploring was pretty fun. Too easy though even on survival. Overall I very much liked it and still play it occasionally. But I actually enjoy fun video games unlike most here.
>>
Fallout 4 is a great game.
>>
>>333522157
Automatron is really good tho.
>>
>>333522428
>I very much liked it and still play it occasionally
These kind of people post in all kinds of threads, sharing opinions on a variety of topics.
>>
>>333522157

There's nothing to talk about, it's literally one building full of robot enemies and the ability to create robots.

The first two DLC packs just feel like cut content.
>>
>>333522605
That's literally what they are, content they cut so they could charge people for it after release.
>>
What's with all the Fallout 4 chat today?
>>
>>333520734
It's a good game. Better than Witcher 3 for sure.

Who gives a shit if the story is bad. Read a book if you want a good story.
>>
File: 1432346116106.png (432 KB, 800x736) Image search: [Google]
1432346116106.png
432 KB, 800x736
>>333522771
>it's a good game
>>
It was released without the creation kit/modding tool
That's the big flaw. But I guess they'll wait until all DLCs are released because otherwise amateur hacks would make something far superior in a week
>>
>>333522717

The second DLC pack is out in a few days?
>>
It's a sub-par FPS with some random pretty approssimative RPG elements. If I wanted to play a shit like that I'd play Far Cry which atleast has some nice graphics.

I fell for the season pass meme but haven't played the game since well before the DLC launched. I'm close to the ending but I'm too mad to play it.
>>
There weren't a lot of different ways to clear quests or unique ways to build a character. So, there wasn't really a reason to play the game on a second character like in New Vegas or even Fallout 3.
>>
>>333522157
Well they're not expansions or worth noting. It's a shitty sidequest and a bunch of housing stuff. Is it worth five dollars? I don't know. Is it worth actually going back to play the game again to see it? Not really. I gave up halfway through the Automatron one because it's literally just a small series of quests that I'd have maybe done in the main game but now that I'm at the point where I stopped playing the game in the first place it wasn't enough to make me go back and really get into it again.

It's not even an issue of them being "good" or "bad" they're far too minor to care.

All price aside if you made a "really good" piece of content that had some "really good" housing options it's still not enough to fucking care unless it's like a complete overhaul and stuff. The idea that there's anything to talk about is ridiculous from Bethesda.

>Hey guys you play the new "Old Johnson Road DLC where you we've added a new small pathway to walk down with a house that has some loot and a Mirelurk to kill"
>Yeah
>Well what you think bud
>It was a road I guess
>What was your favorite part
>Picking up the bottle cap on the second floor I don't fucking know
>Well glad you liked it hope you're excited for the next great Season Pass DLC
>>
>>333522881
Wait

are you telling me

are you saying

are you seriously implying

Bethesda STILL hasn't released the GECK?
>>
File: tzcpeTj.jpg (250 KB, 672x1022) Image search: [Google]
tzcpeTj.jpg
250 KB, 672x1022
>>333520734
The total amount of sidequests in the game was so low, so fucking low that it must a Bethesda record. It just has to be. My personal Bethesda history only goes as back as Oblivion so if anyone can confirm I would be happy.

Also, literal zero roleplay opportunities, the only fucking choice you can make in the whole goddamn hame is about which faction's cock you want to suck.
>>
I totally expected this game to not be very good, me and Bethesda's game design philosophy don't mix, and the game still managed to let me down. Even for Bethesda standards this was insulting shit.
>>
>>333523198
I'm pretty sure Fallout 3 had fewer sidequests. I was flabbergasted by how little there was to do in that game compared to Oblivion.
>>
>>333523108
They'll release it when they finish releasing material that would've been mods and charging for it.
>>
>>333520734
They want a steadily growing slice of the casual market.

That's what's wrong with every Bethesda "RPG".
>>
>>333523198

>Don't talk to my son ever again
>>
it didn't know if it wanted to be an open world fps or an rpg

also it was dumbed down
>>
No gun variety.
Pipe guns.
Bad story.
Shitty homogenized perk/special system that eats ass.
Fucked up lore.
Ruined power armor.
Shit quests. Only 2 good ones in the whole game.
>>
Story was trash
Most characters were trash
People hated the fact you played as "the dad/mom" and that was you character
The character of "the dad/mom" wasn't interesting and dialogue fucking sucked
Sidequests were lacking
Settlement shit was a completely unnecessary thing to spend so much time on and even then it's not very good at it and has too few things to do with
Any RPG or leveling elements were boring and trash in general

I'll say this though. The exploration wasn't the worst thing. It wasn't the best but I'll admit I was able to play a while just going out into the world just rummaging through areas and stuff like I expected to do. There were even a lot of sites that had little stories to tell and shit so that was fine.

But the big issue is that you can't just have a game rely on the player going out to explore the exact same fucking empty house or cabin or factory for dozens of hours. Knowing that at anytime I couldn't go back to civilization and talk with characters and do story shit and be engaged with the world meant I was doing all this shit for nothing and I just stopped after a while.
>>
The 'are robots people too?' story is played out, most adults know they're not.

Settlements are not fun.

Hording is really not fun.

Not enough towns with substance.

Too much reliance on the radiant system.
>>
>>333521619
jesus christ...
>>
>>333521218
I think the institute and new BoS both made a lot of sense. Railroad faction is pretty shit though.
>>
>>333523838
>most adults know they're not.

Oh my
>>
how good is unarmed?
>>
>>333524058
It's brokenly good once you get the Blitz ability.
>>
>>333520734
felt like the game was gonna be brotherhood vs institute. but they were like..........wait this is just like fallout 3...better whip up some different factions!
>>
>>333523838
>Too much reliance on the radiant system.
It's really annoying it then becomes difficult to tell the real quests from the bullshit ones
>>
>>333524058
I think its the same as skyrim, you can use a power fist but theres only like one perk that makes your bare arms do a bit more damage.
>>
>>333520734
i actually fairly enjoyed it, the worst thing by far for me personally was the predetermined background and voice actor. seriously in a role playing game why make it just set to one role.
fucking stupid
>>
File: 1452131350491.jpg (21 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1452131350491.jpg
21 KB, 625x626
>>333522771
>>
>i actually fairly enjoyed it
>>
>>333523108

Have you seen /v/ flooded with images of Fallout 4 dickgirls fucking power armors?
>>
>>333524619
I haven't used /v/ in the last 6 months.
>>
>>333524707
welcome back my friend
>>
>>333524439
>role playing game
>bethesda's fallout

lel wat????? it's a shooter! just because it has stats does not make it a roleplaying game.
>>
>>333524891
new vegas was pretty good. you'd think Bethesda would take some aspects from it.. but no, they managed to make it more generic and linear than even fallout 3
>>
File: 1455086240485.gif (780 KB, 478x369) Image search: [Google]
1455086240485.gif
780 KB, 478x369
>have shit loads of fun with this and Skyrim
>enjoyment for both completely drops after 50 hours
>trying to replay both is physically painful

What is the fucking science behind this? It's almost amazing.
>>
>>333524475
>muh le post is bait!!!!
I'm convinced anyone who posts this image or an image like it is literally retarded, reddit memer who probably started browsing 4chan last year.
>>
try and name one good thing about fallout 4. i'll start.

good character creator
>>
The breaking point for me was the Battle if Bunker Hill quest. I arrived with the Institute Courser ready to purge wasteland vermin, yet every NPC was friendly to me even after I shot down a BoS vertibird and executed several railroad heavies. Needless to say I was pretty fucking mad.

Did the devs even playtest this game? God it's an embarrassment to the Fallout franchise. Even more so than F3 if that were possible.

>>333525085
They tried to with the different factions but failed horridly.
>>
>SPECIAL is completely pointless
>especially because you can max out every single stat by just leveling up
>"Perks" are useless except for the hacking and lockpicking ones
>hacking and lockpicking is useless because there's just nothing to find behind locked doors/in safes
>quests are utterly boring
>fights are boring
>you get a power armor right in the beginning and find so many power cores that you very rarely have to get out of the power armor
>dialog system is dogshit
>there is not a single interesting character
>there's not a single interesting quest
>there is no good loot
>the "unique" weapons are pointless because regular modded weapons are just as good or better
>that fucking dialog system where your conversational partner sometimes just wanders off mid-sentence and the dialog, a unique branch of dialog, just cuts off
>still no GECK
>crafting system is tryhard bullshit and heavily flawed
>there are NO challenges

>get to Scientology or whatever the place is called, I don't remember
>own son greets me
>shoot him in the head because he doesn't care about his mother
>take his labcoat
>his robots just wave goodbye as I leave through the teleporter

Fucking hell.
>>
>>333525371
The magic of discovery is a hell of a drug. But then you go back and play it and realize everything is shit. With no carrot on a stick driving you to explore and find all the little secrets, everything terrible about the game comes bubbling to the service.
>>
>>333525371
i had this a few days ago
>delete everything to make it vanilla again
>reinstall skyrim
>spend all day researching and downloading mods
>next day start playing
>1 hour in get bored and uninstall

my theory is your brain remembers how much time you have to put into these games and your subconscious just tells you "fuck this. not worth it"
>>
>>333525515

The Human Error quest.
>>
>>333525783
>there is not a single interesting character
>there's not a single interesting quest
The Silver Shroud was nice. Too bad you can only listen to the Silver Shroud station in and near Goodneighbor.
>>
>>333521619
This is a good example of someone doing it wrong; if you play FO4 like any other railroaded plot-driven "cinematic" game then of course you'll hate it.

Like any other modern Bethesda game you're supposed to ignore the main quest, explore the world, and role play by doing whatever the hell you want. I think anyone who hated this game because of the plot, dialogue, writing, etc. has no imagination. You're supposed to make your own narrative, this is not the game to play if you want to be force fed an experience.
>>
They went too far with the oversimplifcation.

I think they're going to back on the voiced protagonist/dialogue wheel for the next TES game.Even Normies don't like it.
>>
>>333526161

Oh yeah, the Silver Shroud. Found the costume and all that but never the quest. And I can't put the costume anywhere because it's a quest item.
>>
>>333526173
Did you actually read it? The point is they tried to play it like "any other modern Bethesda game" and the game more or less doesn't let you unless you really like doing the same quests at the same areas you've already cleared and setting up settlements for ungrateful, ugly NPCs.
>You're supposed to make your own narrative
You literally can not have one. You can't just ignore the main quest forever.
>>
>>333526173
>You're supposed to make your own narrative, this is not the game to play if you want to be force fed an experience.
How the fuck am I supposed to make my own narrative when there is literally nothing to build upon and half of the shit doesn't make any sense?

>enter raider arena
>cool I bet there will be a quest to become a champion of the arena or some shit
>nope, all raiders immediately turn hostile even if you wear raider armor
What the fuck am I supposed to make of it? That all those raiders are mentally retarded/have a 6th sense?
>>
so much went wrong i dont even know where to start
>>
>>333526173
If that's how your supposed to the play the game, why do they force you more into a shittier story and make the world shallower each time?
>>
>>333526161
also the robot ship quest was kinda cool
>>
File: 1459979845416.png (716 KB, 1080x1191) Image search: [Google]
1459979845416.png
716 KB, 1080x1191
Played on survival and the games a fucking joke. 8 days of playtime vanilla because I hate myself. Didn't die once. Had around 1250 stimpacks and 30 sets of power armor and 185 fusion cores I never used because power armor is a pointless clunky piece of shit when you can x4.5 sneak damage

Literally does absolutely fucking nothing in rewarding exploration. Just buildings with different names and raiders in them. I cannot remember s sibgle location out of the 320 I found

Shit dialogue. Shit god awful writing. >oh shit todd we're 2 years in development and the institute is the clear objective force of good. What do?
>whatever nigger just make them evil white people for no reason and add a pointless sjw cuck squad that you literally find their base on accident

What a piece of shit.
>>
>>333525515
>>333526132
i liked the Here There Be Monsters quest. the one where you find the chinese submarine.

the quest was pretty basic. but i found it interesting to find an aspect of fallout. we've never fully seen before.
>>
>>333526646
this and the horse track place pissed me off so much, I reloaded the game because i thought I did something wrong to make the raiders hostile. But no its just another half assed shooting gallary
>>
>>333526646
>cool I bet there will be a quest to become a champion of the arena or some shit
>nope, all raiders immediately turn hostile even if you wear raider armor
I was pretty pissed about this too.
>NPC tells me, "Hey you hear about this bar raiders gather at? Pretty dangerous place"
>Think oh neat, my character is a drug addled murderous psychopath
>Walk in, everyone attacks me so I murder them in kind
>Some Conan O'brien looking motherfucker ghoul gets mad at me
>Obtain dunk/druggie trollop which I immediately send to a settlement to complain about not getting in fights or not getting drunk
Stupid shit.
>>
>2 billion strength
>supermutant buddy
>1 charisma
>can't intimidate puny humans

Yeah, fuck that
>>
>>333521619

The game really is depressing
>>
>>333526909
Oh, also you can platinum the game in like <50 hours. They're pandering to the Reddit "real gamer quirky nerd" crowd at this point.

I also randomly lost access to half the city. As soon as I step foot into swans pond and the area surrounding it my game crashes. Instantly. Loaded up save 2 days of playtime prior and all is fine. Yup. You're punished for exploring.
>>
Based Valentine was wasted on this game.
>>
>>333520734
>Now that the dust has settled

When does the dust ever settle? Who decides that?
>>
Taking protagonist is the source for a lot of problems in this game, and the shameless DLC ain't helping.
>>
>>333526529
No one is FORCING you to do shitty settlement quests. You can ignore 99% of the main quest if you want.
>>
It wasn't a bigger world with vehicles included that's litterly all
>>
>>333526909
>because power armor is a pointless clunky piece of shit
This. Power Armor felt like such a chore to use, and forcing you to wear a helmet to use the light was fucking stupid. Not to mention it could prevent you from accessing terminals, and you can't take it off inside instanced buildings. Fucking obnoxious.
>>
>>333521218
That would be Emil Pagliarulo, winner of the 2008 Best Writer award at GDCA.
>>
>>333526940
That was fine until I realized that Bethesda recycled all the signs and shit inside of the sub. Completely broke it for me.
>>
>>333521993
How does one "fall" for a season pass?
>>
>>333527356
>No one is FORCING you to do shitty settlement quests. You can ignore 99% of the main quest if you want.
Yeah, and no one is forcing me to play that shitty game either.

If I'm supposed to ignore most of the content to have any degree of fun, why even bother? I have better things/vidya to spend $60 on.
>>
>>333527356
Then what the fuck are you supposed to do? The actual side quests (of which there are a tiny amount)? Explore buildings that might not even offer any sort of interesting dialogue/text? Because those are about your only other options. And the latter gets boring, fast. For a variety of reasons.
>>
>>333527508
>charge $50 for season pass
>release $10 of DLC

Happens every time.
>>
after far harbor which i can tell will not have underwater content and be a complete disappointment. what future expansions are you guys expecting?
>>
>>333527496
> until I realized that Bethesda recycled all the signs and shit inside of the sub
Why are you surprised?

They recycled half of the sound effects and some animations from fucking Skyrim.

It's "Skyrim with guns" in the literal sense.
>>
>>333527356
there are like 10 side quest and the main quest sucks balls, what the fuck else is there to do
>>
>>333520734
Nice leading question faggot.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (170 KB, 800x571) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
170 KB, 800x571
>>333527416
He is best known for being the lead designer and the lead writer of Fallout 3, for which he received the Best Writing award at the 2008 Game Developers Choice Awards

He is best known for being the lead designer and the lead writer of Fallout 3, for which he received the Best Writing award at the 2008 Game Developers Choice Awards

>>
>>333527228

100%. His design blew me away, with the torn-away faux skin and that damn smooth voice.
>>
>>333527554
>muh "content"
The cancer killing games. No one cares about solid gameplay anymore, just how many bullshit side quests, collectibles, and random crap the developers can fit in. If the GAME itself is fun, has solid mechanics, has an interesting world to explore - then the amount of "content" is meaningless, unless you actually think quantity > quality.
>>
>>333527496
everything is recycled in this game. they design some junk and just respawn it in every location in the game. seriously how many times can i find an identical 'antique globe' in a post apocalyptic world?
>>
>>333527765
the ones made by modders that arent shit
>>
In particular order
>Voiced protagonist
>Aseptic dialogue system
>Heavy-handed and ineffective storytelling. I never knew my wife/husband and my son is a small baby. Why should I care if they're dead all other things considered?
>Weapons, seriously the armor crafting is awesome but the weapon crafting system is lackluster. There isn't any reason to use anything but the most powerful receiver, automatic sucks (this isn't strictly the fault of the weapons, rather the perks system)
>Departing from New Vegas with respect to the roles of ballistic and energy weapons (the decision to use either was one of personal preference, not the stark superiority of one type over another.)
>The choice to use original weapon designs instead of using existing, well-known designs is an odd choice. The AK, AR, G3, Garand, etc. could all be easily made to work with the crafting system and they don't look retarded to boot. Don't get me started on the Institute weapons.
>The lack of any cosmetic, fun changes to weapons (i.e. paint schemes, laser colors, plasma colors, etc).
>Settlements, seriously building one or two is okay, five or six would be acceptable, but the settlement management system is just odd.
>I could go on, but I'm hungry and another settlement needs my help
>>
It's passable as an open world fps
>Fun enough shootan
>One or two interesting characters
>Minecraft bases are ok for the actual building (i.e. the houses themselves, dealing with settlers, resources, and invasions is shit)
>Power armor actually feels like power armor
>BoS aren't white knight faggots anymore
>leaps and bounds less buggy than 3 or NV (but still buggy, of course)
but lord did they rape the rpg aspects to death
>character has backstory and voice that kill any possible creative builds
>power armor and minigun within 5 minutes
>even midgame you become retardedly op thanks to suiciders shitting out mininukes and sanctuary hills pumping out more pure water than the entire NCR
>aforementioned settlements, optional micromanagement is good for some aspects, but forced micromanagment is a pain in the dick
>base with 50 rocket turrets and minigun armed settlers will always lose to feral ghouls unless your sorry ass is there. Not even rts autocomplete bullshittery, guaranteed lose.
>less quests than even 3
>unique weapons even less interesting than 3's thanks to rng enchantment system
it's a passable game but a slap to the face of fallout
>>
>>333528068
>If the GAME itself is fun, has solid mechanics, has an interesting world to explore - then the amount of "content" is meaningless
Well then it's a shame that Bethesda games have shit gameplay as well.

I'm not even going to address your point about content being cancer because I don't have any words to describe something so fucking retarded. You probably think all the classic RPGs are cancer. Go play CoD or something.

>unless you actually think quantity > quality
Are you seriously trying to say that Fallout 4 is a good example of quantity<quality?
>>
>>333528068

>Fallout 4

>fun
>solid mechanics
>incentive to explore

now i know you're just trolling
>>
>>333528068
>unless you actually think quantity > quality
Open world games are literally quantity > quality.
>>
>>333528279
>BoS aren't white knight faggots anymore
They are edgy supremacists who destroy technology now.

I don't think it's any better.
>>
>>333520734
>skills
>animations
>world
>combat
>voice player
All of that is completely insignificant in comparison to the biggest issue of all: YOU DON'T MATTER.

Nothing you do has an impact on the world. NPCs don't care what you did, said or how you treat them. The very foundation of the RPG genre has been kicked to the wayside and left to rot. You build a hundred settlements or none. You can expand those settlements to the size of small cities and nobody gives a flying fuck. You can build giant structures, start mass producing jet or eradicate a complete vault - nobody takes notice. Nobody cares. This is the fundamental flaw of the game. And mods will never be able to fix it.
>>
>>333528149

they really blew it on killing off your wife/husband like that. Shoulda been a companion in some manner, or maybe a stay-at-home partner that boosts the settlement building stuff. At worst it would make for a nice breeding partner for the eventual sexout mods
>>
>>333526173

>Like any other modern Bethesda game you're supposed to ignore the main quest, explore the world, and role play by doing whatever the hell you want.

>doing whatever the hell you want

but there's nothing to do except killing raiders and supermutants that shouldn't be there

there's no purpose to anything in FO4, no possibility for immersion.

In NV you could fuck off the main quest and go fucking across the map north to get raped or outwit top level monsters and there was adventure around every corner with intersting, meanigful locations filled with different enemies and loot appropriate to them.

are you just trying to be a ruseman of some sorts or are your standards this low

you called that other anon cancer because of demand for content? you're the fucking cancer fucking it up for everyone by eating up subpar garbage that only sold because of brand recognition
>>
>>333520734
Personally I found this game along with every game in the series(to include the weird ones) to be good in their own ways. The gaming community these days just bitches to bitch anymore. Fallout 4 didnt suck, you do.
>>
>>333528940
can you tell me some games where your choices influence the world. and your choices actually matter? i'm not baiting. i just seriously cannot think of a modern rpg that does this
>>
File: nottodd.jpg (22 KB, 382x267) Image search: [Google]
nottodd.jpg
22 KB, 382x267
>>333529445
Yeah you tell them buddy haha, how did you like the DLC? Cool right?
>>
>>333529628
The dlc was alright, I thought the hype could have chilled the fuck out...but making codsworth into a floating lasergatling was so worth.
>>
>>333528545
You're wrong.

>>333528483
>I'm not even going to address your point about content being cancer because I don't have any words to describe something so fucking retarded. You probably think all the classic RPGs are cancer. Go play CoD or something.

What are you even talking about lol, you're clueless. Chess is a game with 0 "content" that's still superior to pretty much everything on the market today. "Content" is a meaningless buzzword pushed by AAA game peddlers. You can dress up a turd, but it's still a turd underneath.
>>
>>333529504
witcher series maybe? I would say adventure games like telltale's walking dead or until dawn, but don't think those really count.
>>
>>333529504
The Witcher series to a varying degree. Witcher 2 gives you a complete different second act depending on one choice you make in the first.
>>
>>333522157
Dude, automatron is the shit. It's more of a small addon than a dlc, but man, building robots is fun.

Codsworth painted gold with dual automatic lasers and three buzzsaw arms is the only way to fly.
>>
>>333529716
>lose ability to equip hats onto codsworth if you so much look at the robo customization
fucking bullshit, we can give them teddy bear heads and shit why not hats?
I want to make primm slim and shit too
>>
>>333529794
why is a large amount of meaningful content so scary to you? are you so brainwashed by AAA game companies that you actually think every game has to be a shitty 4 hour cinematic game or an empty and stale open world game?
>>
>>333529973
win some, lose some. if you dont like what happened revert game, go offline so it doesnt redownload the update. done.
>>
>>333529504
>can you tell me some games where your choices influence the world. and your choices actually matter?
Off the top of my head:
Witcher 1/2/3
Fallout 1/2
Arcanum
Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer (Vanilla and Storm of Zehir as well to a lesser degree)

>i just seriously cannot think of a modern rpg that does this
Witcher 3
Pillars of Eternity
Wasteland 2
Underrail (you read it correctly, I'm not talking about Undertale)
Age of Decadence
>>
>>333527368
I love power armor, it's like being fucking iron man... versus flalout 3 where power armor was literally just an outfit.

And you can absolutely take it off in instanced buildings, just need room at the back end.

Jet packs and tesla gauntlets make me happy.
>>
>>333529887
hey we both said the witcher series, that's kind of funny.
>>
>>333529794
>Chess is a game with 0 "content" that's still superior to pretty much everything on the market today
Yeah chess is a great cRPG I will give you that, and Fallout 4 has great gameplay and FPS mechanics.

Don't even bother replying you fucking retard.
>>
>>333529504
But your choices don't actually have to affect the world. It's not like i want everyone to become a junkie because i sold 50 inhalers to every merchant in DC. But i want my choices to be reflected in important conversations and by NPCs in bars and settlements. Like when i build 5 new settlements i want the world to acknowledge that. When i build 5 new houses with full furniture i want my settlers to comment on that. When i clear a vault of raiders i want to be able to move there, maybe even some companions recommend it.
>>
In a lot of ways it was no fun the game, the reason I love new Vegas is you can make your own unique character and the story will try and comply for you. Fallout 4 forced you to be a certain character, at most you could be an asshole.

Story was alright but there was some big holes in it even for a fallout game for example why the fuck would the BOS nuke the institute. A place full of medical, science and weapons advancements that out pass pre war tech.

Settlements were really cool, they looked like ass but still cool. But having you constantly doing shitty quests and defending them was retarded, fuck you Preston Ill eternally hate.

Finally the ending, this is when I realized what bothered me most. Instead of a slide show of events we did and how we affected the outcome we got a shitty cutscene about how memes never change.
I realized that the game did not feel like a Fallout game, more like a spin off or a game inspired by Fallout.
I like Fallout for the freedom and choice it offers, not a generic shooter.

I liked it better than 3 though
>>
>>333520734
Bethesda got the rights over Troika.
>>
>>333530436
BoS is space marines now

PURGE HERESY

FOR THE ELDER
>>
>>333530436
from a person who played the first 3 fallout games(fallout 1 2 and tactics) for years before 3 ever happened, the last 3 titles have felt like a bad joke of a spin off. I would love to see an isometric turn based option happen.
>>
>>333520734
What went wrong:

Bad writing, bad plot, no choices (4 options, all of them being variations of either "yes" or "no"), little variety of builds, wide variety of perks which are mostly "do more damage with x", SPECIAL means jackshit since you can increases your stats every level (wat), boring quests, facebook-tier content (build and tend to your settlements, and i've marked in your map another settlement that needs you help xd), bad optimization, no ammo crafting, no different ammo, crippled limbs are too easily treated, voiced character cuts roleplaying even further, game is easy even on hardest settings (that raider who would have died with 2 shots will now take 3), low ammount of cities, essential NPCs everywhere.

What went right:

Gameplay really improved, building is a neat feature, gunplay feels great, proper display of Power Armors, exploring is, as in every Bethesda game, F U N, more meaningful companions, visuals are good (graphics aren't that good but at least humans look like humans now), better animations, functional vertibirds.

As a RPG, i'd rate it a 4/10. As an actual game, i'd give it a 8/10, you can definitely have some fun with it (i recommend doing a tech paranoid run: disable essential NPCs, and live in reclusion with nothing but robots and tech, never leave your Power Armor when dealing with normies, kill NPCs with poor writing, fun ensured).
>>
>Spend all of Fallout 3 trying to build a water purifier
>Melt a toilet and some guns and build thirty in Fallout 4 with half an hour of work
>>
>>333530678
Except that Space Marines actually make sense in w40k universe.
>>
>>333530764
Yeah what the fuck was with that? Caps became pointless because I had unlimited water.
>>
>>333530678
I am actually really sad at their rewrite of the eastern brotherhood. They changed the WHOLE brotherhood in a big way and really fucked them up....My character accidently looked like maxson when i first played and i was like OH SHIT MY SON IS THE BADDEST MOTHER FUCKER EVER...and then he was that fucking asshat in the institute.....
>>
They should've just called it Fallout Tales or Chronicles really, i would be less mad but it still would be one of the most abysmally boring AAA games out there

They just needed to get something back on the whole TESO fiasco and rushed the shit out of it

there's no depth to anything, the only thing Fallout players ask for

it's prerry amazing in that aspect, really.
>>
>>333531026
to be fair,..this whole damn series should have been called tales from the wastes or something...
>>
>>333530958

>Caps became pointless because I had unlimited water.

u wot m8
>>
>>333520734
Very few interesting quests, shit writing, shit factions because of said shit writing, I've reached the point where i have nothing left to really do other than finish the main quest/faction quests or do nothing but radiant quests or try to find some unique ones by searching for the rest of the undiscovered locations on the map.
>>
>>333530764
the difference i think is the scale...they were trying to purify the whole potomac river(however the fuck you spell it) where as you're like oh hey, tiny body of water? DONE!
>>
>>333530091
I didn't do it, I read about it since checking the bugs section of any bethesda dlc is mandatory, and it's not exactly a game ending problem, just dumb that there aren't hats in a dlc based entirely around retarded levels of robo customization in a game with a precedent for hatted robots.
>>
>>333531205
Sanctuary became my water farm, I built as much purifier as I could. Every time I'd go there I could collect 100+ purified water and buy anything I wanted.
>Go to Sanctuary and collect water
>Go to Diamond city, trade water for cool shit
>Go back to Sanctuary straight away and water has already spawned.
The water can be found in your workshop.

Caps are meaningless.
>>
>>333531385
codsworth should have been able to have a top hat and monocle...
>>
The laziest story writing in modern game history as well as settlements being to damn small.

Everything else was handled decently. Removal of Skills and many RPG elements, while is disheartening, was intentionally done because they didn't want an RPG but rather a FPS with some slight RPG elements but not enough to be complex or be considered a full on RPG, like Far Cry 3 or Bioshock. Looking at it like that, they succeeded fairly enough.
>>
>>333531578
>changing the genre of the series
You don't do that. You just don't.
>>
>>333531578
Electrified Supersledge>any other weapon
>>
>>333531727
they did that when they made 3............you know that right?
>>
>>333531727
they did it for fallout 3
>>
>>333531578
>The laziest story writing in modern game history
It's bad but that's probably an exaggeration
I mean hell, 3 was so much worse and that's not even leaving the ip
>>
>>333531841
>>333531937
Fallout 3 was still trying to be an RPG though, even if it did a terrible job.
>>
File: shelter.jpg (2 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
shelter.jpg
2 MB, 2048x1536
>>333520734
>Now that the dust has settled, what went wrong?

Nothing, BAFTA gave it best game of the year.
Only award that matters at the end of the day.
>>
>>333531947
>I mean hell, 3 was so much
But that's the thing, 4 is an entire rehash of 3. That's why it's so lazy, they just repeated the basic idea of 3 to a T.
>>333532065
They're referring the shift from isometric turn based RPG to FPS.
>>
>>333532065
granted but it swapped from an isometric turn based RPG to a realtime FPSRPG...still a change.
>>
File: Fallout4 2016-03-20 21-43-14-36.jpg (3 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
Fallout4 2016-03-20 21-43-14-36.jpg
3 MB, 2560x1440
>>333522519
Don't delude yourself
>>
>>333520734
Story was so garbage not even garbage can compare.
>>
>>333532225
greygarden?????
>>
>>333532190
>>333532198
Just because it was an FPS doesn't mean it stopped being an RPG though.

Look at Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines for example.
>>
>>333532065
Went from isometric squad based talking&shooting game to first person solo exploring and debugging game.
>>
>>333532360
right, but a shift in perspective and pacing is still a change in genre...look that shit up.
>>
>>333520734
Fallout 4 is not an RPG.
>>
File: 1459961658669.png (96 KB, 275x352) Image search: [Google]
1459961658669.png
96 KB, 275x352
>>333527765
I want to go back to The Pit
>>
>>333532424
Fallout was never "Squad based".
>>
>>333532360
Yes, but it's still technically a genre shift. Fallout 4 just happens to be an even more drastic genre shift.
>>
>>333532538
Fallout tactics. look it up.
>>
>>333532430
I wouldn't say it's a change, it's just making it fit in 2 genres at the same time.

On the other handFallout 4 barely fits into RPG genre anymore.
>>
File: Fallout 4 - Illusion of Choice.jpg (2 MB, 1553x7203) Image search: [Google]
Fallout 4 - Illusion of Choice.jpg
2 MB, 1553x7203
>>333526173
>y-you weren't playing the game how they wanted you to!
>>
>>333529115
I actually kind of agree with the idea of making the spouse a companion. It would have been an interesting dilemma to have to convince them to kill your son or something along those lines. Wasted opportunity.
>>
>>333520734
too easy and it had bad graphics
>>
>>333532624
but..isometric turnbased rpg=CRPG genre. FPSRPG=genre.....so..
>>
>>333520734
hard to stay immersed
>>
>>333528889
They horde prewar and destroy postwar tech
>>
>>333532190
The devil is in the details, both games may be
>find [family member] you knew for 5 minutes game time then stumble into far bigger threat
but 4 felt like it did it marginally better. Still not game of the year all years, but better.
>>
>>333532658
I would have been down with being able to play the game with my wife. She takes nora, i take whatever the fucking dudes name was...or if i was gunna play alone i CHOOSE that she dies...i mean..its too damn easy!
>>
>>333532732
In a way I guess.
>>
>>333532773
>mutant suicider:
>only one of us is going to live, and it's not gonna be you!
It never gets old
>>
>>333532803
That doesn't make any sense and you know it.
>>
>>333532828
The problem is that there's no time to get invested in your wife, not even a small scene of you coming back from the war or something.

Also, Shaun could have made a synth version of your wife, which would have been an interesting dilemma, especially if you were going to side against the Institute.
>>
>>333532889
not even in a way. that shits concrete IMMA SAY IT AGAIN LOOK THAT SHIT UP MOTHA FUCKAH
>>
>>333532938
can Dogmeat even kill a Super Mutant Suicider?
>>
>>333533058
and thats why she would have made a great player controlled companion.
>>
>>333533316
Interesting concept indeed anon. But I don't think it would have worked out too well in gameplay.
>>
>>333533265
if you soften them up, yes, otherwise he won't be able to kill them before they allahu ackbar
>>
>>333533265
technically...it did.
>>
>>333530269
Butthurt faggot. You're dumb as hell
>>
>>333533375
it would have made the game exponentially easier or harder thats pretty much all i have.
>>
>>333520734
>least amount of plot-choice and role-playing of any Bethesda game
>partially due to generally-same dialogue wheels as well
>backwards gun design and quantity compared to even 3, let alone NV
>turned power-armor into a limited powerup instead of armor

That said, I prefer the setting choice over the desert or DC, some of the more creative guns were neat, and the combat has been improved.
>>
File: 1459773871395.jpg (22 KB, 259x253) Image search: [Google]
1459773871395.jpg
22 KB, 259x253
>>333523108
>GECK will be paid dlc
>$20
>not included with season pass
>those who preordered it get 5% off
>Available 2018 with purchase of skyrim 2
>>
>>333533786
.....limited power up?? I jumped into the T-45 and never had to jump out except to repair/craft/swap to new power armor.
>>
Dialogue wheel made them feel like they had to have four "choices" in every conversation. Which ended up being a gigantic waste of time since they ended up recording and writing a whole bunch of lines that were just variations of yes or no. That's why despite the fact that FO4 probably has more lines of MC dialogue than Witcher 3, Witcher 3 ends up feeling way more reactive because the dev team didn't bother writing so much redundant garbage. Having lots of choices in a conversation is great, but 4 at EVERY junction? Yeah it makes your average look good, but all it accomplishes is restricting your choices in complex conversations and insulting the player's intelligence with the simple ones.

That said, they clearly had more quality ideas this time around versus FO3 (which was basically a condensed, nonsense rehash of the FO universe), but they weren't able to employ any of them in any effective way. Chicago-style BoS expansionism? Cool idea. Self-aware android communes? Cool idea. Independent American Revolution-inspired coalition of fighters and statesmen? Cool idea. But it's all written so shallowly that it just feels like a bunch of theme park attractions. It's not even wacky enough to be offensive; it's all just so fucking boring. When I got to Diamond City and realized it was a city in a baseball diamond, I thought there was going to be some cool worldbuilding about the unique challenges and advantages of living in the present day equivalent of the Coliseum. Instead, nothing happened.

Really, what I got most from FO4 was a feeling of wasting time. Wasting time writing nonsense dialogue, wasting time populating buildings with leveled loot, wasting time brainstorming ideas but never going anywhere, and, most of all, wasting my time with a game clearly a lot of people spent a lot of time making, but nobody in particular actually gave a shit about.
>>
>>333533806
>>GECK will be paid dlc
I can honestly see that.
>>
I enjoyed the settlement building once I used console commands to give myself thousands of materials. The dialog was a big drawback. Factions were fine.

Overall a solid 7. Overall better than fallout 3s 4/10 but worse than nvs 9/10
>>
>>333534025
thus far i think the DLC on New Vegas(other than broken steel) was the best purchase of DLC i have ever made.
>>
>>333533941
I could see fallout 4 being a shortstory, where as fallout 1/2/nv would have been a novel.
>>
File: giphy.gif (1 MB, 500x347) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
1 MB, 500x347
>People complaining about imaginary Fallout game
Fucking kek
>>
>>333533941

>But it's all written so shallowly that it just feels like a bunch of theme park attractions. It's not even wacky enough to be offensive; it's all just so fucking boring.

So much of this. The sheer amount of wasted potential in this game is staggering.
>>
>>333523198
Well I've played like 500 hours of morrowind, if not more, and have never finished the main quest line. Across different characters of course.
>>
>>333520734
Bethesda bought the ip. That's what.
>>
File: You're looking at one.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
You're looking at one.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
Really hate how completing quests in some cases causes NPCs to have nothing to say to you except praise, especially when they previously had a function like barter or turning in items.

The lack of dialogue is depressing in general, and not just when the four option limit screws up interactions.

>>333527765
Sims Stuff Pack style paid DLC to fill in gaps in the current workshop system, like the coming Wasteland Workshop
>placable barges, tarberries and other floating assets along with new workshop locations along the coast or rivers to use them at
>more cooking/medicinal recipes to make use of aid items not widely used at the moment, drying racks for meat and other settlement objects themed around cooking
>>
>>333534506
I wouldnt call it BOUGHT so much as they forced interplay to sell to them.
>>
>>333534601
weird question...can you kill kids in this iteration..or no?
>>
>>333527765
Return to the Pitt.
And one silly/humor based 50's SCIENCE! DLC because I'm pretty sure it's mandatory now.
>>
>>333522605
the second one is just "settlement building, but it works better" and has assets that were already in the game files at launch.
>>
>>333533941
Also WHAT THE FUCK EVEN IS THE COMMONWEALTH, COMMONWEALTH IMPLIES POLITICAL BOUNDARY, NOT A GEOLOGICAL BOUNDARY LIKE MOJAVE DESERT OR CAPITAL WASTELAND I CAN UNDERSTAND THAT DUMB SHIT BUT THIS DOESN'T MAKE ANY FUCKING SENSE

WHY DOES EVERYONE DECIDE TO CALL THEMSELVES A COMMONWEALTH WHEN THEY AREN'T EVEN LOOSELY AFFILIATED WITH EACH OTHER FUCK
>>
File: 1389925312194.jpg (28 KB, 498x354) Image search: [Google]
1389925312194.jpg
28 KB, 498x354
So guys, is the Pip boy edition worth something now or will be in 5-10 years? I stupidly bought the thing instead of waiting for the Game of the year edition.

I bought the Pip boy edition pc version on launch date but I haven't opened it.
>>
>>333535010
>.> its the commonwealth of massechusets..calm the fuck down bro.
>>
>>333535118
those poor rattata....
>>
>>333535416
>poor
that's just your opinion man, they could be having the times of their lives
I know I would
>>
>>333535556
I mean..thats fair..but in the episode they were being forced into a little ball because of that thing on their stomach..idk about you but i would be sad and having a terrible time....
>>
File: illusion of choice.jpg (146 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
illusion of choice.jpg
146 KB, 1920x1080
>>333520734
false advertising

ITS NOT AN RPG
>>
>>333535123
FUCK YOU THAT DOESN'T MAKE ANY GODDAMN SENSE, THEY HAVE NO GOVERNMENT, THEY MAY AS WELL CALL THEMSELVES THE EMPIRE OF NIGGERBUTTS OR THE JUSTICE LEAGUE
>>
>wake up in vault one day
>family member is missing
>have to escape vault
>rad roaches are infesting the vault and I fight my way out
>go to nearest town
>guy with an accent from england tells me where to go to find my family member
>meet up with a black guy who becomes a meme
>tells me to go to big city to find people who know where he is
>i go to big city
>find out where to go next
>I go to a vault
>meanwhile brotherhood of steel is making headway
>brotherhood is steel is expanding through out the wastes
>suddenly "oh no im in the big bads HQ!"
>find out my family member has been working on a project his whole life
>family member is a brilliant scientist who can help the wastes regrow
>big bad makes a deal with me
>doom the wastes or help it
>big bad ends up killing my family member anyways cause fuck it
>i go with brotherhood of steel
>liberty prime
>game ends with me killing big bad
>only 2 endings

I'm describing fallout 4's story.
>>
>>333535848
They do have government....com·mon·wealth
ˈkämənˌwelTH/
noun
noun: commonwealth; plural noun: commonwealths; noun: the Commonwealth; noun: the commonwealth

an independent country or community, especially a democratic republic.
an aggregate or grouping of countries or other bodies.
a community or organization of shared interests in a nonpolitical field.
"the Christian commonwealth"
a self-governing unit voluntarily grouped with the US, such as Puerto Rico.
a formal title of some of the states of the US, especially Kentucky, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, and Virginia.
the title of the federated Australian states.
the republican period of government in Britain between the execution of Charles I in 1649 and the Restoration of Charles II in 1660.
singular proper noun: Commonwealth
an international association consisting of the UK together with states that were previously part of the British Empire, and dependencies. The British monarch is the symbolic head of the Commonwealth.
>>
>>333534763
Nope
>>
Xbone owner here. Should I sell Fallout 4 or wait for mods? Kinda want to sell it since I did mostly everything in the game. Also, will graphic mods run better on PC?
>>
>>333536936
just sell it

mods will cost money
>>
>>333537083
They won't but I'm still leaning on selling it and maybe wait for it to go on sale on steam. Did the same with Skyrim and had no regrets.
>>
>people defend Fallout 4's objectively bad dialogue and writing system because apparently you're not supposed to care about the story in a video game
>people actively defend the removal of roleplaying- aka LITERALLY THE CENTRAL GAMEPLAY MECHANIC OF ROLE PLAYING GAMES in favor of muh production values

Fallout 4 was doomed to failure from the get go
>>
>>333534601
>child has the body of an undersized adult man
why is this allowed
>>
>>333538159
because its the SAME FUCKING ENGINE AS FALLOUT 3

its just FALLOUT 3 with a SEMI new coat of shit.

they are SO FUCKING LAZY that instead of making models for children, and models for adults, they just SHRINK the adults.
>>
File: 578585.jpg (60 KB, 1280x748) Image search: [Google]
578585.jpg
60 KB, 1280x748
Haven't played but it looks less of a rpg and reminds me of Farcry than fallout.
>>
>>333530678
Emotionally unstable techno-fetishists
remove brotherhood, force for entropy
>>
File: PeaCuck.jpg (3 KB, 125x70) Image search: [Google]
PeaCuck.jpg
3 KB, 125x70
>>333532147
>Razer
>>
>>333538527
The only thing that would save it to me is if they pulled multiplayer move,made are own severs and factions playing as bounty hunters or raider tribes other other roles with strict RP guidelines.
>>
>>333538478
even in 3 they made child models
>>
>>333520734
Dude it's Bethesda.

We've covered this.
>>
As an RPG it was bad but as an open world shooter (and now survival game) it's pretty good.

I hope Obsidian gets to make another fallout because with this gunplay and obsidian RPG elements it'd be perfect.
>>
>Mysterious band of lol evil mercenaries that do bad things just because
>No meaningful interaction is possible, they are shoot on sight raiders with better equipment
>You cannot remove them even by destroying their leadership and base of operations
>They are fully stocked and supplied by nobody in particular because civilization doesn't exist on the east coast
>People that aren't the MC apparently hire them to do nothing in particular because they randomly decide to not shoot on sight for other people in the wasteland

Quick, am I describing the Talon Company or The Gunners?
Thread replies: 222
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.