[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this the most pretentious game of the year?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6
File: web_banner.jpg (240 KB, 1920x650) Image search: [Google]
web_banner.jpg
240 KB, 1920x650
Is this the most pretentious game of the year?
>>
2nd most pretentious. The most pretentious would be Superhot.

HLD is just a shitty indie 2D ripoff of Majora's Mask, so it's not that pretentious.
>>
>>333492007
>ripoff of Majora's Mask

What the fuck are you talking about? Did you even play it?
>>
File: literal cancer.jpg (33 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
literal cancer.jpg
33 KB, 460x215
>>333491781
You retarded memers can't even shitpost right.
>>
>>333492108
Of course I did, that's why I was able to come to that conclusion.

The game follows a very similar narrative and progression structure as Majora's Mask, as well as having similar themes regarding the futility of life. You would have picked up on this if you paid attention--the problem is that HLD presents this terribly that you have to try REALLY hard to get at it. It also lacks a SENSE of progression, unlike Majora's Mask.

The key difference between MM and HLD's plot is that MM is simply about acceptance and coming to terms with something, HLD is an entire generalization of life. HLD's outlook on life is incredibly cynical. It's basically about how you live, some generally unsubstancial stuff happens, nothing you really do matters and in the end, you die. The game sacrifices fun for the sake of making an artistic statement several times, something MM never had to do.

If you really tried to analyze HLD, you'd see the parallels are there, it's just that it almost comes off as grasping at straws because of how shitty HLD pulls it off.
>>
File: 1397627540596.gif (36 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1397627540596.gif
36 KB, 720x720
>>333492108
Anon I think if someone would be able to make such a unique comparison to another completely different game when the game we're talking about has a 2deep4u plot, it's not that they didn't play it, it's probably that they played it way too fucking much.
>>
>>333492369
The game is fun. I like how you can chain dashes together to fast.
>>
I think the witness will take home the "pretentious indie wank" award this year. At least superhot was fun.
>>
>>333492280
That's way too obvious.

I want to fight a giant enemy crab dragon.
>>
>>333492598
Yeah yeah cool but you do realize that any guy on /agdg/ could literally mockup the same mechanics in like less than 2 hours right

so even if its fun to you you do know that its easy and therefore you are being manipulated by people who just want your money right

you do realize you're paying more for a good that's in high demand and high supply even though that's the opposite of how economics works right
>>
>>333491781
I don't think it's pretentious, just bad at storytelling.
>>
>>333492782
>/agdg/
>being able to accomplish ANYTHING
>>
>>333492858
You're right, and they could still mockup a chain dash in the vein of HLD.

That's how easy it is
>>
>>333492782
>that any guy on /agdg/ could literally mockup the same mechanics in like less than 2 hours right

Confirmed for someone who's never played any agdg demo-day games.
>>
>>333492826
>sacrifices fun to make an artistic statement
>Not pretentious
>>
>>333492782
I like protagonist's design too.
>>
>>333492280
was about to post this

epitome of everything wrong with indie games
>>
>>333492995
>sacrifices fun to make an artistic statement
Elaborate.
>>
>>333492782
>high supply
Hook me up with some recent games where I can chain dash pls. I could use something new to play.
>>
>>333492995
But it's still fun.
>>
>>333493174
Only because you're underage

>>333493141
Several parts of the games are designed to be unrewarding for the sake of emulating how disappointing life is. I'm not joking.

Well he did get one thing right, I was disappointed.
>>
>>333492782
I can only assume from the random ass reference to /agdg/ that you are one of those cave dwelling trogs

Woo boy, watching you crabs trying to climb out of that bucket does tickle me pink every time
>>
>>333492782
I'm really loving the mental gymnastics in this post

>by enjoying this game and this gameplay mechanic you're bad at economics
>>
>>333492614
the witness actually isn't that pretentious. it's impossible for it to be. pretentious means roughly to take yourself too seriously, but it's impossible to tell what is going on in the witness so it's impossible to say if it's being taken too seriously or just the right amount. I Think the story is that the island is meant as some kind of indotrination or medical procedure. in either case the quotes and shit fit in ok
>>
I'm fighting in the arenas to get that reward gear. The fighting is fun, but it's hell in NG+

Is this the backer's room next to the arena?
>>
>>333493304
>having fun is sooooo immature
>I only play mature games for mature gamers such as myself
Keep tightening that fedora m8
>>
>>333493304
>Several parts of the games are designed to be unrewarding for the sake of emulating how disappointing life is
Like what? Yeah sometimes I was disappointed but I think that's just due to bad level design.
>>
>>333491781
What is pretentious about it?
>>
>>333493304
>Several parts of the games are designed to be unrewarding for the sake of emulating how disappointing life is

So the hard to acquire cloak/sword/droid behind the West 8 triangles door actually does nothing unlike all the other ones that have effects?
>>
>>333495068
yes
>>
File: 1440030184058.jpg (119 KB, 800x534) Image search: [Google]
1440030184058.jpg
119 KB, 800x534
the combat is fun, the art is great, the story is there when I'm interested in it. seems like a good formula

you fucking hipsters
>>
>>333495259
>I am so unsubstancially bland and you're all worse than me because of it
ok
>>
Even if this was a good game, I refuse to fund any more shitty lazy style-over-substance graphics that bring shame to the notion of pixel art

Yes I mad
>>
>>333495068
I still can't figure out what the fuck it does.
>>
>>333491781
That's not The Witness OP
>>
File: 1408203112663.jpg (33 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1408203112663.jpg
33 KB, 500x500
>>333495367
>>
It's alright

My complaint is that the story kinda went nowhere (they totally abandoned the whole disease), a lot of the secrets in the game just involve hugging walls and that it is pretty short (I didn't spend a lot of time finding all the collectibles, but I found about 6-8 triangles in each section and still beat the game in about 5 hours). The music is mostly just ambience but I think it suited the game well. It would've benefited a lot from some actual tracks, though

Gameplay is simple but fluid and it was just the right amount of challenging. Artstyle is subjective but I liked it
>>
File: WhiteRectangles.jpg (2 MB, 3848x3256) Image search: [Google]
WhiteRectangles.jpg
2 MB, 3848x3256
>>333497605
>lot of the secrets in the game just involve hugging walls

Walk through walls basically always have a tell if you pay attention to floor tiles.

Fuck some of the invisible platforms though.
>>
>>333496409
ghahahaha oh yah that piece of turd

i'd say super hot is worse tho
>>
1. firewatch
2. the witness
3. this shit
>>
>>333498083
Don't forget Layers of Fear
Also known as "We failed at amnesia" the game
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.