[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What am I in for Also, /Divinity/ thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 7
File: photo-original.jpg (423 KB, 1536x1152) Image search: [Google]
photo-original.jpg
423 KB, 1536x1152
What am I in for

Also, /Divinity/ thread
>>
>>333487208
the best rpg in the last 10 years
>>
maxos
>>
>>333487352
Tactical of Classic?
>>
One of the best Turn Based rpgs i've ever played.
No Handholding, lot of stuff to read, which you should not Skip too much of, or you might get lost.
Also its actually Challenging in high difficulties.
The splitscreen coop is also very well Made, with a Buddy this Game is Even more fun
Worth to Play
>>
i feel like this is a Game for old-schoolisch rpg entusiasts by old-schoolisch rpg entusiasts.

Also: anyone got the picture of the saltlord complaining about this Games difficulty?
>>
>>333488063
>i feel like this is a Game for old-schoolisch rpg entusiasts by old-schoolisch rpg entusiasts.
It's this but it's also a game for hipsters by hipsters at the same time. These two things mixed do not a grand soup make, but it's still a decent game.
>>
I quit playing after 2 hours

Does it get better
>>
>>333487208
Way too much text and a pretty lame "YOU ARE THE CHOSEN ONE AN ANCIENT EVIL HAS AWOKEN" story

Fun combat though
>>
>>333487208
>>333487352
This, desu.

The game is fucking fantastic, and it's full of secrets and easter eggs.
>>
>>333488063
>complaining about this Games difficulty?
how can anyone struggle with this game

>rain
>lightning
oh look, infinite chain stun
>>
File: 1406951765800.png (284 KB, 777x390) Image search: [Google]
1406951765800.png
284 KB, 777x390
>>333488528
>everyone is a hipster meme

This isn't the early 2010s, bud.

>>333488063
>>
>>333487208
It's garbage, PoE is a much better game without kiddie shit and an actual story beside "you're le random chosen one XD"
>>
Just started it. It seem pretty great.
>>
>>333488063
>i feel like this is a Game for old-schoolisch rpg entusiasts by old-schoolisch rpg entusiasts.

Of all the "cRPG revival" games we got in the last few years, this is the only one actually furthering the genre.
All of the rest are more of the same, no improvement on the old formulas.
At least Pillars of Eternity tried to fight the dump stats/bad builds thing, but I am not sure that ended up well. I sure didn't like it.
>>
You are in for a very brutal rape simulator from levels 1-5.
After that you are in for weatherman simulator with the optional oil merchant addon.
Play it with a buddy though, as there is some stuff you'll really miss out on playing solo, like learning to speak zombie troll or getting into rock paper scissors fights with each other to settle debates.
>>
>>333489454
If you fuck up your build or party it can be since anything but pure warrior/mage/stabby rogue is shit for a long time. But that is basic common sense.

The only other issue is a lot of the time the game can leave you with a major lack of skill books to buy for ages. I dunno if they ever fixed that but having an NPC with every book in their inventory to buy was one of the first mods released.
>>
how's the writing and atmosphere in general?
>>
>>333490415
>Of all the "cRPG revival" games we got in the last few years, this is the only one actually furthering the genre.

AoD tried something no cRPG tried before to this degree. Whether it's a good thing is arguable, but then so are D:OS's.

Underrail is like the first isometric with proper stealth. It's basically an isometric Deus Ex sans the story.
>>
>>333492264
atmosphere is great, writing is great.

story is uh weird, typical "Chosen dude" but it's just not interesting.
>>
>>333492264
Atmosphere is alright, if you can stand the art direction. Sadly the soundtrack is not as good as it could be.
Writing on the other hand is rather bad, much worse than what Larian fans are used to.
>>
File: chinese noodles.jpg (312 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
chinese noodles.jpg
312 KB, 1280x1280
>>333492719
I didn't like AoD, because despite its many good ideas it did devolve into trial and error for me, with frequent saves and reloads.
Often even if you had points in X skill, you couldn't guarantee that you have enough and that led to a game losing situation; basically all skill checks required so much investment, that a well rounded character was impossible, and indeed anything short of throwing EVERYTHING at a skill made it unreliable.
If you want your X skill check to succeed, better max X as soon as possible. Thats like if in D&D all the attribute points between 1 and 19 did nothing, and you could only get an effect at 20.

Haven't played Underrail yet actually, because I spent time playing Fallout 4, and it am a bit tired of that aesthetic.
I'll probably come back to it in months, to discover it as a hidden gem or something. It tends to happen with me, thats how I played Original Sin, when EE came out.
>>
>>333492264
>>333492749
Story is okay. Spoilers follow.

You defeated the ancient evil and were left there to guard it. It deceived God, and got out, and you ran away like a coward. God is stuck in an eternal battle with it. Now you are reborn as a mortal, and you try to regain your memory and ability, so you can help God cage it again. Meanwhile a powerful sorceress is trying to help the ancient evil, because she read Nietzsche. There is also not-Loki the Trickster, who doesnt seem to do anything, but just makes remarks on your progress.

Overall its a very simple premise, stretched over a very long playthrough, so you sort of forget about the main goal and only see the immediate, micro goals. The full picture only got to me during the last act of the game, where its in your face at all times.
For a video game it really is okay, on par with Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights in terms of writing. Just not something you will be remembering long after you are done with it.
>>
>>333492821
Agreed. I don't expect anything particularly great out of Larian but Divinity 2 had significantly better writing and music. I gotta say D:OS has some of the best turn based wRPG gameplay to make up for it though. Definitely a solid addition to the series, and most impressively one of the very few co-op RPGs that exist across any medium.
>>
>>333487208
Real fun combat. Take advantage of the terrain and all that's on it. Story can be a bit meh, but not too bad
>>
>>333487208
play it with a friend, it's fun
>>
>>333487208

I can't force myself into it. I started some time ago, played for like 2 hours and never go back. I just hate all this inventory sorting it's so blatant.
>>
File: spiderdog.jpg (84 KB, 897x792) Image search: [Google]
spiderdog.jpg
84 KB, 897x792
>>333493742
>game has the best inventory system of any RPG to date
>quit over it
>>
>>333487208
The game IMO is made for creating your own content and levels with custom doodads and music/sound to make your dream Baldur's Gate campaign.
The story in the campaign you get with the game is actually decent and the gameplay is incredible. It's just that some areas have great design while some are just awful. I highly reccomend you try the original unaltered campaign if it is your first time.

The enhanced edition takes away "some" depth
of character building and takes away a lot from all the skills you can utilize.

The enhanced edition campaign is pretty nuch the same but with fully voiced dialogue. The new additions to the engine are also welcomed.

TL;DR: Great Combat/Engine, Decent campaign, Do not touch enhanced edition.
>>
Pros
>good combat system
>tons of different builds and viable playstyles
>fun loot system
>quests usually allow multiple solutions and are usually somewhat interesting
>tons of content (almost too much Tbh)

Cons
>Way too long
>Quests are much too convoluted
>literally impossible to figure out what the fuck you're supposed to be doing without reading a wikia constantly
>finding where NPCs are at or where a merchant who sells a particular item is at are a massive pain
>missing one tiny little item or detail can completely fuck you up and cause you to lose a ton of time
>inventory system is clunky as all hell
>crafting and smithing are horribly explained and very convoluted with the obscure item combinations in conjunction with clunky inventory, it's likely you'd reach the end of the game without even having upgraded any of your weapons and armor or crafted any useful items
>writing is passable at best, which is quite disappointing for a CRPG. I just started skipping dialogue halfway through

Overall 7.5/10 (which is still a pretty great score) but could have been a lot better if they hadn't purposely obfuscated so many mechanics and quests. Unfortunately, you're literally required to do a huge portion of these quests in order to level up and to get enough bloodstones to beat the game.

>>333493839
It's cumbersome as all fuck. Having to transfer all your items over for crafting and then transfer them back is a pain. Having to juggle around items when your put your crafting/smithing/loremaster sllave in the party is a fucking pain in the ass. There's way too much irrelevant garbage in the game flooding the inventory. New players can never be expected to know what the fuck any of the items do. For example, a ruby is extremely valuable for crafting, while every other gem is worthless, or how swirling mud is needed to make a really powerful weapon. Having to cycle between all four characters to sell shit is always a pain.
>>
>>333494317
>having to transfer your items for crafting or identifying
Better done than any other game that features those, since you can right click->send to and be done with it, and you can filter to show only crafting stuff, and you can arrange by latest added to inventory.
>too much useless garbage
Less than any other game that features such clutter, NWN had many more gems, most of which useless, and dont even get me started on Elder Scrolls.
>having to cycle between characters to sell
The same in any other party game. In fact easier here, since you had a little arrow that you can click to select the next party member's inventory. Talk to vendor, order stuff by cost, order stuff by weight, do selling, click on the arrow to select the next party member, repeat. In another game that would be selling from one (without ordering most likely), then ending the conversation, bringing the other character, doing the same.

Basically you list two very common problems with WPRGs, and despite them being handled very good here, better than in other games, you say you quit the game because of that?
>>
>>333494610
Crafting, smithing, and selling should all be shared inventory. I always dreaded having to do my crafting or smithing or having to reorganize my spells because it's such a cumbersome mess and it's so easy to misplace an item and send to the wrong person or to homestead, and having to juggle all the garbage of 4 characters is a pain, especially since I have to remove one character to make room for the slave.

Among my four characters in Divinity, I had more filler, useless garbage, and excess gear than any other game I've played. Especially since a lot of the gear is necessary for perception checks, charisma checks, sneak/pickpocket boosts, etc. So you can't really sell it.

Also not being able to designate an outfit for your character and auto equip a full set is Fucking ridiculous.
>>
>>333487208
>Enhanced Edition is unplayable with an old video card
>but the base game is
are they taunting me?
>>
>>333489327
Did you even make it past the character creator?
>>
>>333495006
Literally every other cRPG: the post.
It is better in Original Sin than in Neverwinter Nights for example.
There you cant quickly send items around, crafting materials arent shared as you want, you cant order stuff, you need to keep loads of gear like +lore stuff if you want and alternative damage type.immunity shit, you cant designate an outfit for your guys, literally all of your complaints.

If the inventory in DOS made you quit, I can only deduce you've never played any other cRPG, since they are all worse, and you must've quit them within 30 minutes.
>>
>>333495186
LBR, it's entirely possible this is someones first cRPG.
>>
>>333495186
>no shared inventory for crafting
>no shared inventory for smithing
>no shared inventory for selling
>can not access inventory of your companion unless they're in your party, even in homestead
>can only transfer one item individually at a time
>no outfit option
>can only craft one thing at a time
>can only craft one item with one other item at a time
>ability system is a giant clusterfuck
>no sort alphabetically filter
>no mass identify option, have to do it individually. Not even a filter for identified/unidentified items

Keep on damage controlling buddy. Just keep digging that hole deeper.
>>
My characters are lvl 4 right now. The log is goddamn useless for telling you or even hinting at where to go next. I'm just wandering around looking for named characters to talk to.
>>
>>333496041
Well, is it your first cRPG?
>>
>>333495186
>If the inventory in DOS made you quit,
Not sure where you got that from. I actually just finished up my honour playthrough last night. So my criticisms come from many hours of gameplay and it's a major flaw of the game.
>>
>>333496160
Nope, it's just the first one to have so much junk like this spread across four players where there's no global shared inventory, especially worse since the strong focus on crafting and smithing and identifying and so on.

Maybe if you play on easy and don't craft shit or don't really need to sell stuff for gold, or don't need to have a slave, it doesn't really affect you. But for those of us on tactician/honour, it's a bloody pain.
>>
>>333496323
The game is two players max, not four.
Also, list other cRPG's you've played. I am sure most of them have the same problems, only worse.
>>
>>333496445
The fuck you talking about?

Did you never get the companions in cyseal or something?

It's irrelevant to the discussion, but PoE, Wasteland, Neverwinter Nights, Planescape Torment.

It's really irrelevant because most CRPGs don't have such a strong focus on their combat system and crafting shit.
>>
>>333496662
>most CRPGs don't have such a strong focus on their combat system

What the fuck am I reading.
>>
How's the PS4 version?
>>
>>333496445
>The game is two players max, not four.
Literally what
>>
>>333496662
Companions arent "players". They are characters.
The games you listed have similar, or worse, problems in the same spots.
"It doesnt count" is not an excuse. You can beat Original Sin on normal without ever using the crafting system.

I am sorry to hear that you got into the game with the intention to hate it, hopefully you get better in the future.
>>
>>333487208
>what am I in for
Bland writing and some really shitty combat.
>>333487352
Fuck off, memer
>>
>>333496812
>You can beat Original Sin on normal
LMAO

Kid, you're just digging your hole deeper. You just admitted you breezed through on normal without even bothering with any of the more advanced mechanics of the game.
>>
>>333496929
>you just admitted
I just stated a fact. You can beat the game on normal without even crafting anything. This is undeniably true.
This doesn't relate in any way to how I played it. I played the original with a friend on hard, and the enhanced edition alone on tactician or however it was called.

>LMAO KID
Oh, never mind, you are one of those people. Shame we can't get a single thread without your kind.
>>
Played it co-op with my GF, beat it on tactician mode. It's pretty easy to break the game with crafting. As a warrior/tank character I reached over 100 resists with all the elements, while my gf just sat back as a full glass cannon mage with max levels of every magic school and annihilated everything. And her damage spells would heal me because I had 140% on all resists.

We had to use a walkthrough to get through all the quests though, that shit is too much work.
>>
File: 1451737063940.jpg (40 KB, 490x440) Image search: [Google]
1451737063940.jpg
40 KB, 490x440
>sand storms
>blizzards

Is there even a point trying to run a tank during these portions of the game?
>>
>>333497196
>We had to use a walkthrough to get through all the quests though, that shit is too much work.
fag
>>
>>333497576
We were only interesting in the combat portion of the game. Puzzles and shit are for fags.
>>
File: image.png (950 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
950 KB, 640x1136
You niggers are going to have to explain to me how the gameplay in D:OS is "incredible" and "the best." I found it to be god awful. I got to about level 7 on Hard mode before saying I had enough of its bullshit. All the poison cloud explode bullshit and one hit kill enemies like those lightning zombies after you exit the town. And the thugs at the beginning when the ship lands, that took me about 5 tries because I can't fucking hit anything. Oh and then in the sewers that skeleton Mage summons kamikazi enemies in the MIDDLE OF MY FUCKING PARTY.
We had no problem stunlocking that one level 13 or whatever enemy that pops out when you dig up the graves. By that point I had four party members. But that doesn't work against multiple enemies.

I don't remember what classes I chose. I think a soul assassin and a ranger. Yeah that's it, I remember always being one AP off of being able to Backstab.

I got real tired of having to save every five steps to avoid invisible traps too. Those land mines on the beach and the inn's (wooden) tavern basement being full of traps that cause fiery explosions.

I don't see how its gameplay was great by any stretch of the imagination. Dragon Age: Origins was better. So tell me, how was this so great?
>>
File: 1451259428640.png (33 KB, 440x537) Image search: [Google]
1451259428640.png
33 KB, 440x537
>>333497942
>Hard mode before saying I had enough of its bullshit
>play on the difficulty that straight up tells you it's no fair
>complains about the game being unfair

Not even going to read the rest of your nonsense.
>>
>>333497942
I never knew it was possible to be this bad at a video game.
>>
>>333489454
I got completely stuck at the first chapter boss,
turned out my starting characters were shit. MC was a fire mage, and could do literally nothing but pewpew at the boss with a staff.

I have yet to go back and restart, but the game can shut you down good and hard if your class make-up doesn't work against that first boss.
>>
>>333498192
>wahhh my game is perfect anyone criticizing it must be wrong
Yeah it must be hard to read things you don't like when you're so used to dicks in your eyes. Hard mode says that it has the full range of mechanics and AI in the game. Why would I play on Normal when I would be missing out on parts of the game? Plenty of games do that and it's not cool.
>>
>>333498639
You're not getting off that easy. Everything you complained about has a solution.
>>
Really great game. Only turn based game I ever liked in my life. Also god tier ost
>>
>>333496110
no it's not you fucking new shitter.

Most quests dictate like "North East of this location"

Some quest's are like "Keep an eye out for a herd of sheep" which means you're not meant to go LOOKING for it directly, you will find it along the path.
>>
>>333497942
>"I'm playing it on hard"
>"But its too hard!"
Hmm how ever could you solve such a problem?
>>
>>333489393
>too much text
REEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>333498639
You sound like DSP-tier faggot desu senpai
>>
Playing through the EE, only did 1 playthrough on the original before. I am noticing you get way more armor variety in terms of visuals. My old party was boring as fuck even 25 hours in, my new party looked cool in 5-10.

Some minor annoyances have been the initiative order bar on top bugs out literally every fight, and I don't think there is a way to disable it, and the retread through Cyseal is still ridiculous
>>
>>333494091
What did the EE taken out of char creation?
>>
It's pretty much a d&d game.Combat included. Shame it didn't have more in depth stats that influence dodge or parry or something. Or maybe it did and I didn't notice it.

It's more fun with a friend. Especially if one of you tries to be a traditional hero in all their games and the other one us a mean gold digging opportunist bitch. Like me.

Some segments had my friend almost rage quitting over how I ruined things by stealing everything not nailed down by stealthing. Or tried to fuck people over.
>>
>>333487208
Whatever you do, don't pick the female Rogue voice.
>>
>>333500873
What, because it's too good?
>>
>>333499284
>>333499043
>>333498898
Amazing. I ask about very specific parts of the game and D:OS memers can't defend their game one bit.

The game is garbage and clearly its fans are garbage too.
>>
>>333497942
There's a ton of questionable and even ass backwards mechanics that you won't know until you just spend a lot of time with it, and the crafting and spells and party composition don't click until you invest many hours.

Divinity really isn't the kind of game where skill alone can carry you through the first playthrough, especially when you can so easily squander your points, skills, and talents, not know crafting, not have a good party composition, not understand smithing, repairing, etc. Plus there's a fuck ton of trial and error bullshit, knowing the specific strategy for a boss, knowing which area to go to next, etc etc

I had more difficulty with my first playthrough on easy/normal than on my second on tactician for this reason. Once you've played through once, it's really quite easy because 90% of your mastery of the game comes from experience, and skill plays only a small factor.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.