[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PS4 >, <, or = to CPU?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6
File: maxresdefault.jpg (68 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
68 KB, 1920x1080
My friend tells me that its not possible to build a CPU that is cheaper than or equal to the Ps4 in price and performance. Is he correct? I was certain that PCs where more versatile and that consoles where to just stripped down PCs for non computer types.
>>
probably correct since obviously when you manufacture one device you mass-order parts to build it for cheaper as opposed to a lone consumer buying parts for a PC

ps4 still has no games though and that graphic is stupid
>>
File: 47272888_p0.png (2 MB, 1100x850) Image search: [Google]
47272888_p0.png
2 MB, 1100x850
>>333457747
I built a PC twice as good as a ps4 for 500$ 2 years ago.

Im sure it can be done now if you look/wait for sales/bargains
>>
>>333457929
>Try to do this late 2015
>End up spending over $1700
Don't fall for this meme anon
>>
>>333457747
Why the fuck do you care when it's the GPU that matters in 99% of cases?

Besides, not all tasks are embarrassingly parallel.
>>
>>333458169
I don't care all that much, but he is convinced that its not possible to do it, and I was half sure that it is.
>>
>>333458081

Ignore this post, you can easily build a PC which runs modern games on max settings for $800.
>>
>>333457929
If you where going to do it now where would you go and what would you suggest? Assume all you have is 399.99. What are you gonna spend it on anon?
>>
>>333458528
If you include the cost of windows, then it's impossible.
>>
>>333458704

>if you include the cost of windows
>buying windows
>>
File: ;^).gif (1 MB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
;^).gif
1 MB, 500x500
>>333458704
>buying
>windows
>>
>>333458767
>>333458932
>the average console gamer who has never built a PC before will know how to pirate windows
>>
>>333459621

>burn disc
>use one application
>a complicated process
>>
File: 1523536363.png (182 KB, 299x329) Image search: [Google]
1523536363.png
182 KB, 299x329
>>333459621
>making pirating windows sound more difficult than pirating anything else
>>
>>333459673
>what the fuck is burning a CD
>fuck this I'm going to play call of duty, oh yeah that new DLC is out I should buy, when the fuck is the new ubisoft game coming out so I can pre-order it
>>
>>333459953

>what the fuck is burning a cd
>building a ridiculous strawman
>>
Speaking of teraflops, why don't PC game requirements just outright say how much computational power they (think) require to work? Since there's so many processors and GPUs out there, not to mention their age, just because they say "core i3/750ti" doesn't mean a core2quad and GTX480 can't run it, despite having a smaller model number.
>>
>>333457747
It is possible, but as I've said so many times in a row, it doesn't make sense to build a rig that's equivalent to the PS4 in price because, by dropping a little bit more, say an extra $100 or $200, you can get something that far surpasses the PS4 in user experience. That said, here's a $400 build that'll match or beat the PS4 in most games.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/y8WKFT

It's a shitty dual-core system, but with overclocking, many games will run equivalent to higher end i3 and lower end i5 systems because of how much more they rely on good single-core performance, which the G3258 has in spades when overclocked. It's on record as easily going up to 4.5GHz and up on stock cooling. The GPU can also be overclocked for even more gains, and it comes with everything the PS4 can do as well, including an optical drive and wifi.
>No monitor
Use your TV, same as you would with a PS4. Don't get me wrong, this rig makes compromises that I don't recommend, but it can be done, to built a system that beats the PS4 in many titles, however it also loses in many as well, and I wouldn't recommend this, please, put more money into your system.
>>
You can but it's not worth it because you're going to have to start over again. So may as well save up a few hundred more
>>
>>333460142
>implying the average console gamer knows basic shit like that
>implying the average console gamer isn't too lazy to figure it out
>>
File: you-good-sir-are-the-man.jpg (105 KB, 555x707) Image search: [Google]
you-good-sir-are-the-man.jpg
105 KB, 555x707
>>333460204
Thanks for this, I had not intentions on actually doing it, just wondered if it was possible. I have a Work station not outfitted for gaming currently but when games actually take a turn in a direction that captures my interests I may invest in upgrading for playing.
>>
>>333460204
To add to this, you can't go even more poorfar mode and buy used parts through eBay or your preferred shady site. Fuck even Goodwills is a legit place to look for hardware; the monitors there are decent (mostly Dell) and they're cheap as fuck. You might get lucky and find a component you can use (if it's a hard drive, purge that fucker).

It's not ideal, but it's feasible.
>>
>>333461123
>you can't go

I mean you can go. Being rich is hard. Anybody can be dirt poor!
>>
>>333460991
If you have a PC for work that you want to turn into a gaming rig, there's basically just a couple things to look for:
CPU: If you're on the AMD side, then you'll want an FX-6300 or better for good gaming performance all around, due to AMD's lesser single-core performance. If you've got an Intel under the hood, then an i3 would cut it, but a decent i5 is highly recommended. I'd shoot for a 3570k or newer, however getting an unlocked CPU (has a K after the four numbers) isn't a requirement by any means.

RAM: 4GB is enough for most games right now, but 8GB is going to be a requirement sooner rather than later, this also helps with workstation loads, also RAM is cheap, just get it.

GPU: There's a 750 Ti that doesn't require any additional power connectors beyond the PCI-E slot on the motherboard. You shouldn't overclock it, which means you're missing out on extra performance, but it also means you're not going to have to get another PSU, assuming you've got an extra 45 or so watts to spare on your current one.

HDD: 1TB minimum, games are too damn big without it, not to mention your other shit.

That's about it for the things you should absolutely upgrade for gaming, everything else is tertiary, although definitely recommended, peripherals can easily make or break an experience separately from the rig's performance itself.

>>333461123
This is also an option, personally, I don't trust used parts that much for PC stuff, but it is definitely a viable option that's honestly not that unsafe if you know what you're doing/do your research.
>>
>>333458569
How? Because I just tried building a PC and to get PS4-Like performance I'm spending $500 at minimum and that's with the cheapest and shittiest parts I could find and not even including sipping/taxes on each of the parts which might as well add up to another $50 to $60
>>
>>333457747
>Build a CPU
Learn what a fucking CPU is or go back to-
Oh wait, we're already on /v/
That explains it
>>
File: file.png (1 MB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1 MB, 1280x960
>equal to PS4 in performance

The problem with that is that no two games will perform as well on the same system. Just as there are games that run like shit on PC, like Arkham Knight, there are also games that run exceptionally well on even low end PCs, like Alien Isolation and MGS5. Other games depend far more on CPU power than GPU power, such as GTA5.

With all this in mind, just because a few games run better than the PS4 versions doesn't mean that this PC system is overall stronger than the PS4. Likewise, just because the PC versions of games don't run well doesn't mean that the PS4 is overall stronger. So what exactly will be the "baseline" for performance? If you want a PC that's across the board stronger than the PS4, then you need components that beat the PS4 in ALL games released.
>>
>>333462180
Are you an idort by any chance? What you sais dose make sense
>>
>>333462292
No, I only have a PC at the moment. I'm waiting to see if the PS4K will offer performance in its games, or if it's just an upscaler. Not to mention, aside from weeb games and Bloodborne, nothing on it gets my interest, aside from maybe Nioh. I could go with Nioh and Nier 2 being PS4 exclusive, as they are among the few PS4 games to run at 60 and keep it. I won't buy a PS4 for XV or Bloodborne since they run so terribly.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.