[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was Spirits Within actually bad or was it just fanboys mad they
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 201
Thread images: 28
File: JDz_a.jpg (242 KB, 2048x1136) Image search: [Google]
JDz_a.jpg
242 KB, 2048x1136
Was Spirits Within actually bad or was it just fanboys mad they didn't get a FF7 movie?
>>
>>333443759
It was pretty neat sci-fi.
>>
Was pretty okay.
>>
>>333443759
I thought it was pretty decent but lets be honest, the story was pretty fucking cheesy. The action and animation were on point though.
>>
>>333443759
The CGI still holds up today and superior to many movies today.
>>
It was fine. Not great, not awful. Just fine.
>>
>>333443759
It had nothing related to final fantasy. It only had FF in the title to fool people into watching it.
>>
Aki a cute. But it was mediocre
>>
>>333443759
It wasn't bad, but it only has the title Final Fantasy to try and generate sales.
>>
>>333443759
I thought it was bad but still had some enjoyable parts. It wasn't abysmal and probably gets more shit than it deserves, but it definitely wasn't good.
>>
>>333443898

I agree. CGI itself was very well made.

Plot was shit beyond shit though. Hypershit.
>>
It wasn't really a FF movie.
The story was cheesy.
It was all flash. It looked good but lacked substance.
>>
it looked pretty i guess
>>
>>333443970
this

it was Squares departure from western audiences

Final Fantasy Originally

>DnD style game
>turn based combat
>elves, dwarves, save the kingdom
>mages, warriors, thieves, etc

nowadays...

>BUNNY PEOPLE!!!
>MECHA GODZILLA!
>who the fuck is that? what the fucking is happening? sure wish theyd explain in the 20 FUCKING HOURS OF CUTSCENES THEY PUT INTO THE GAME
>>
I honestly think it would have been better if the movie stayed away from the japanese metaphysical philosophy crap and jsut went generic space marine shooter.

Which at the time, would actually be a very unique thing. Copy Aliens for all I care.
>>
>>333444302
FF has been trash since 13. 12 was the last good game.
>>
>oh wow a final fantasy movie!!!
>can't wait to see some nice fights, magic, guardian forces, nice story
>MUH LIFE FORMS IN HERE
>MUH SPIRITS
>>
>>333444464
>12
>good
>>
It wasn't a bad movie by any means, and the CG tech for the time was impressive. I think it was more just so far away from what FF was to fans.

How could you was this was bad back then: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4nTlpYRPmQ
>>
>>333444464
no, ever since they departed ways with Nintendo theyve been getting worse and worse

its almost like someone at Nintendo was editing the shit they were putting out

>no, the flying mecha scorpion needs to go
>also the 50 loli strippers
>might wanna ad WHY your character is the saviour, everyone is not YOU remember?
>20 hours of cutscenes and you still dont know half the characters motivations? thats longer than the fucking Lord of the rings; thats out
>>
>>333444417
They had no capacity to effectively fight something that was immaterial and incapable of staying down.
The movie actually only even resolves because of the spiritual mumbo-jumbo being humored.
>>
>>333444464
>FF has been trash since 13. 12 was the last good game
English must be hard.
>>
>>333443759
It wasn't a movie for Final Fantasy fans and it pissed them off -- me included.

When i bought FF9, there as an ad for Spirits Within on the back of the manual and my friends and i got so excited. We were going to see Cloud and Squall team up and kick ass, at least that's what we saw.

Then the trailers were released. The fuck is this? Ghosts in space? Is that Alec Baldwin? Fucking Square, i hope you go bankrupt!
>>
>>333444606
>Muh basis for WALLE
>>
>>333443759
They shouldn't have put the FF label on it. People expected dragons and magic n shit. Instead we got alien ghosts and Alec Baldwin.

Good movie by its own right, not a good Final Fantasy though and Square bet way too much on it.
>>
>>333444905
How did you see that from any of the previews?
>>
>>333443970
I always thought the plot loosely followed the mold that FFVI and FFVII shared.
>>
>>333443759
Mediocre as fuck. The real problem is that it cost so much money that it damn near put Square out of business (only money from Sony saved it until things could stabilize), delayed the Enix merger by years and probably led to Sakaguchi leaving Square.
>>
>>333445193
how does it follow 6's plotline?

>empire wants espers cause of magic
>gets them
>one of the Empires soldiers gets all the power
>kills the world
>you fight for the remnants
>>
>>333444890
you seem to be to the one lacking english my freind. Saying something has been trash since X means that everything including and after X is trash. since 12 comes before 13, it is x-1, and therfore is not trash.
>>333444615
>waaah there wasnt enough waifu pandering waaaah
>>333444824
>iv never played FFX:the post
>>
File: Crank 2 fingergun.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Crank 2 fingergun.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
Crank 2: High Voltage is the best video game movie of all time.
>>
>>333443759
It's fine on its own, not so much when it has an established name on it with no influence on its design.
I mean, I'd love to have seen one malboro in a chase scene somewhere or make those spirit things in the form of some of the monsters.
Anything to make Final Fantasy as the preceding title mean anything
>>
>>333445421
>you havent played every Final Fantasy? i mean theres only fucking 2 dozen by now including offshoots.

no you autist i havent but i have seen the cutscenes and they are some cringy shit
>>
>>333445357
He said it followed the mold, not the entire plotline. Like VI and VII spiritual shit is being tampered with or misunderstood and the plucky heroes have to deviate from their military minded ways to resolve a situation through a more alternative way of thinking, mostly some collectathon shit.
On the way things are learned about the situation and each other that unveil shocking aspects about them and their world and the potential future.
Everything turns out better than expected.
>>
File: spirits within armour.jpg (183 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
spirits within armour.jpg
183 KB, 1024x768
The design of the soldiers was cool.

Too bad in typical movie fashion the protags ditch the helmets after their first scene.
>>
>>333443759
It was fine, but it went overboard on the Scifi and was missing that "Final Fantasy" feel.
>>
>>333443759
>tfw her 3D model had fully rendered nipples, full vagina and pubes
>>
Better than Advent CHildren for sure.
>>
>>333443759
It was ahead of it's time.
>>
It was bland and generic. If it wasn't called Final Fantasy it wouldn't be hated, but it wouldn't be remembered either.
Square also dumped all their fucking money into it, which is hilarious.
>>
>>333443759
I enjoyed it, but square dumped way too much cash into it for it to ever be profitable
>>
>>333445357
I'm fuzzy on it because I haven't seen the movie since it was originally in theaters, but it's mostly several details between them.

>the "monsters" are agitated/antagonized by human technology, and are really just fending for themselves
>heroine who is a magic-bearer of destiny
>the benevolent "life force" of the planet is in jeopardy
>some crazy dude in the military wants to nuke everything
>in the end they descend into a crater to spare the planet's life force
>>
>>333445836
its been a while since i seen spirits within but are you high?

they very MINIMALLY mention that they collected "spirits" but you dont get to see that, woops guess that wouldve made things a little tense as the militaries plans were advancing along as they collected spirits. That wouldve been a plotline

>deviate from their military minded ways

90% of the screw dies in military ways, either going out into the wasteland or defending the city

>On the way things are learned about the situation and each other that unveil shocking aspects about them

the only thing they learned was the lead male character had the final spirit

>unveil shocking aspects about them and their world

turns out that the spirits are coming from that big comet that hit the earth that everyone knew about and has been failing to bombard effectively

it was a meh tier story compounded by the fact that it was supposed to be a hot commodity made by a developer that was highly respected

It had the same problem as this- the super mario brothers movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROaVwVsPhqc&nohtml5=False

VERY VAGUELY association and by vague i mean by name alone
>>
Let's me just get this out of the way

V>IV>=X>XII>I>VIII>VII>III>IX>II>VI>XIII
>>
>>333446579
Not bad.
>>
>>333446579
>VI below II
At least try to disguise your bait.
>>
>>333446370
and SE is repeating the same mistake with FF XV, the movie and the anime
>>
>>333443759
It's wasn't Final Fantasy. That was the problem.
>>
>>333446764
VI was shit, faggot. You only like it because >le clown villain
>>
File: LaraCroftTombRaiderAdvance.jpg (1 MB, 2106x3148) Image search: [Google]
LaraCroftTombRaiderAdvance.jpg
1 MB, 2106x3148
>>333443759
It came out at the exact same time as tomb raider the movie.
Tits always win.
>>
>>333446693
>proven wrong
>B-BUT THE FILENAME GUYS IT WAS A JOKE ALL ALONG ;)
>>
>>333446989
god damn that was awful, but i guess a pair of tits can sell a movie, just like the resident evil movies
>>
>>333447031
Settle down, spazzy.
>>
In my country it was only marketed as "Spirits Within". The Final Fantasy was cut completely from the title.
I also had never played any Final Fantasy games so to me it was just a mediocre Sci-Fi film with mind-blowing CGI.

The plot was all kinds of retarded though.
>>
>>333446518
>they very MINIMALLY mention that they collected "spirits" but you dont get to see that
That doesn't change the fact it sticks to a similar mold of how the premise, events and conclusion come about
>90% of the screw dies in military ways, either going out into the wasteland or defending the city
That. Was. The. Point. People kept dying while the MC told them to stop trying the solve the situation the same way, every time they listened to her for an instant it worked.
>the only thing they learned was the lead male character had the final spirit
What the fuck? They learned about how the MC remained alive all the time despite others succumbing, they learned why they were getting attacked in the first place, all which helped solve the problem, holy fuck not having seen it in a long time is not an excuse for insisting on things you clearly glossed over

Your comparison is also completely useless. Everything from the writing and direction of the two movies differs. One uses elements of a defined series for a movie, the other is its own concept.
>>
>>333447089
>pair of tits can sell a movie
>milla jovovich

I have perkier tits and I'm a male
>>
>>333443759
Like many other posters have said, it's not a bad movie, but if you went in expecting "Final Fantasy" you felt really jipped, and it kind of stains your opinion of the movie.

If they had just released it as Squaresoft presents "The Spirits Within" it wouldn't get so much hate.
>>
It was too japanesey for the west.

I think the big moment everyone turned their brains off was when it was revealed the enemy was "MAGIC GHOSTS FROM ANOTHER PLANET."

The funny thing was if they had been presented like JENOVA it probably would've been okay--a parasitic bacteria from another world? Okay. MAGIC GHOST PEOPLE? lol japanimation shit!
>>
>>333443759
Honestly, it was "ok". The tech was cool, the concept was a bit wonky, and sure there was much to be desired. But it was neat, at least for me. But definitely not groundbreaking or amazing in any sense of a true "movie" fashion.
>>
File: 1457063605706.jpg (45 KB, 425x315) Image search: [Google]
1457063605706.jpg
45 KB, 425x315
>>333445825
>i havent played a game but i feel like im able to critique it based on 20 second youtube clips

oh you
>>
>>333447276
>holy fuck not having seen it in a long time is not an excuse for insisting on things you clearly glossed over

The movie was made and released in 2001, TWO THOUSAND AND ONE!!! 15 YEARS AGO! i was in junior high so sorry if i cant quite remember in intricate detail the storyline of a failed cgi flop movie that nearly killed a developer that made them form a failure merger with Enix another repected developer

i loved Squaresoft and Enix but ever since they joined theyve made utter shit Deux ex not withstanding
>>
>>333443898
Agreed. Blows my mind that they made that shit in 2001
>>
>>333447661
>i havent played a game but i feel like im able to critique it based on 20 second youtube clips

indeed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H47ow4_Cmk0&nohtml5=False
>>
File: jack cry.jpg (35 KB, 467x528) Image search: [Google]
jack cry.jpg
35 KB, 467x528
>>333446989
>Angelina Jolie
>tits
F
>>
File: 1421450975887.jpg (155 KB, 447x700) Image search: [Google]
1421450975887.jpg
155 KB, 447x700
>>333447840
It's so beautiful...
>>
>>333447840
thats literally the only part of the game thats bad. Honestly i feel sorry for you if you dont play a masterpiece because of a 20 second laugh. X is the best FF by far and you would have to be an idiot to not atleast try it.
>>
File: VGBB_AkiRoss.jpg (38 KB, 600x720) Image search: [Google]
VGBB_AkiRoss.jpg
38 KB, 600x720
>>333443759
I liked it, it had great characters.
>>
>>333445558
I got such a giant boner when they fucked on the racetrack
>>
It almost sank Square.
It was pretty bad.
>>
>>333448743
Only because it hadn't anything to do with FF?
Pleb.
>>
>>333445958
Cool enough that BioWare completely ripped it off for Mass Effect since the art director was a fan of the movie.
>>
>>333448559
Sandra Bullock if she was attractive.
>>
>>333449829
>sandra
>not attractive
go away
>>
>>333443759

It was pure and utter shit and anyone telling you differently is a faggot of the highest order.
>>
>>333449939
But why is it shit anon, please explain you're self instead of making baseless statements expecting people to take you seriously
>>
>>333450465
Because it used the wrong name.
>>
Saw it in the theater when it came out.

It really was that bad. There was a tremendous amount of hype leading up to it, but ultimately it was just pretty and nothing more.
>>
>>333446989
>2001
A MOLE
>>
File: 1448005636711.jpg (318 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1448005636711.jpg
318 KB, 1280x960
>>333447757
>2001

what the fuck
>>
>>333443759
Spirits within didn't feel anything like Final Fantasy material. Sure it may be a neat CGI movie with sci-fi... but it just wasn't Final Fantasy except the name.
>>
>>333451362
>>333451648
dunno if you guys are being facetious but leading up to the movie there was a lot of positive rabble rousing from basically every gaming publication about this flick and how ambitious it was

I still have some gaming magazine where they did a feature preview story on it, and toured the buildings solely used to house the servers to process the animation. The leadup to the movie was HUGE. The worst part were all the writers trying to find clues to actual scraps of Final Fantasy in the previews. People trying to point out chocobos in the background "maybe" and possible character cameos. Of course none of that happened.

The budget for the movie was 137 MILLION DOLLARS, IN 2001

For comparison, Titanic's budget was 200 million and was made only 4 years before.

Box office it only brought in about 80 mil, and I'd be impressed if it even broke even over the next year with dvd sales.
>>
>>333452587
>it's an underaged faggot doesn't understand the reference episode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=19KstSgU-c0#t=103
>>
>>333453043
I'm 29 and never gave a fuck about U2 or that godawful movie, go pretend to feel special elsewhere.
>>
File: 1443297430211.jpg (97 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1443297430211.jpg
97 KB, 800x600
>The concept of phantoms themselves
>Big bad describing how people would just begin dropping dead for no reason, nobody knowing what the fuck was going on since nobody could see them
That shit was terrifying. I also absolutely loved the action parts since it brought out the best of the designs of the ships and the suits and the baller ass holographic everything. I actually like Spirits Within a lot, but fuck the plot was really REALLY dumb. Still had it's moments though.

>That entire part with trying to escape from the overran city
Grips my heart every time. Surprisingly neat amounts of tension in that movie, even if a lot of the characters don't really get built up.
>>
>>333443759
problem with spirits within is that it has none of the elements that make a final fantasy title. There's no magic, no cool summons, or really epic battle to save the world...

It's just not final fantasy. It's hollywood took it and fucked it up.
>>
>>333443759
it was actually bad.

her nude 3D render was good
>>
>>333453229
>gets caught
>tries to wiggle out of it
Seeing that Tomb Raider was one of the biggest vidyakino up to that point it's impossible to not know the U2 soundtrack that accompanied each and every trailer to it when it's not generic adventure music on the background.
>>
I don't understand why people dislike the TR movie.
I think it was pretty much accurate representation of the games which is a sex symbol in skimpy outfit and big tits firing guns constantly and competing with saturday morning cartoon villains for archeologic magic artifact.
>>
>>333444302
You know, Spirits Within was released after 9, well after they started doing steampunk stuff. Even ignoring that, games as early as 4 had you fighting CPUs in high-tech laboratories, so I have no fucking clue what you're talking about.
>>
>>333453590
Live action vidyakino was bad then and it was bad now.

The only good vidya movies were the animated ones. Fatal Fury and Battle Arena Toushiden, Street Fighter and the godawful Tekken film.

If you'd stop trying to bait me we could wax nostalgia together anon but noooo.
>>
>>333453590
Not him, but I read a lot of the vidya magazines and shit at the time so I knew that everyone was fellating the movie before it was out but I never saw the trailer because they never aired those in Russia.
I actually liked the Tomb Raider movie though, especially the cool as heck not-Uziel at the start of the movie
>>
this was the second video game boner I ever had I think.

The first one was Annabelle from Billy Bayou, and I think maybe, I fapped to Morrigan in Marvel vs. Capcom. I didn't really do anything for a long time until I saw this.
>>
>>333453043
Holy shit this song is fucking terrible.
>>
>>333453961
My point wasn't the quality of the film. My point was you should stop pretending to know something you don't.
>nostalgia for 2001 TR
>Elevation doesn't ring a bell
Pls go
>>333454047
I was in a 3rd world shithole when it was released and we had trailers mayne.
>>
>>333454135
It's alright
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJXqnYCWW7Y
>>
>>333454197
>My point wasn't the quality of the film. My point was you should stop pretending to know something you don't.
>>nostalgia for 2001 TR
>>Elevation doesn't ring a bell

I have no idea what you're even saying I'm pretending to know. I was in 9th/10th grade in 2001 but I never watched Tomb Raider nor had interest in it besides my everlasting boner for Angelina
>>
>>333454375
Sure kid
>>
>>333443759
It literally killed SquareSoft
>>
File: 1438493539895.png (306 KB, 473x523) Image search: [Google]
1438493539895.png
306 KB, 473x523
>>333443759
the plot made no fucking sense and then ghosts started to appear for some fucking reason at the end to solve the problem with no explanation

it was pretty fucking stupid
>>
>>333454487
why are you being so mean to me? Why can't we be friendly? How about you just answer my question?
>>
>>333454197
That's odd, maybe I just missed the trailers then. I do know that they had them on the little discs that came with vidya magazines, but it's not like anyone every fucking opened those aside from trying to play a demo of something.
>>
>>333443759
space magic ghost plot was stupid
>>
>>333443759
It was ok. A bit incomprehensible, performances and cg were good.
>>
File: pornstar portrait.jpg (65 KB, 593x650) Image search: [Google]
pornstar portrait.jpg
65 KB, 593x650
post cute squeenix non sexualized faces that are totally progressive and aren't designed for one thing
>>
>>333443970
I sat through the entire movie waiting for someone to cast a spell.

having Final Fantasy in the title really hurt the movie since it set expectations they didn't even attempt to meet.
>>
I still don't understand the plot.
>>
>>333455490
I think it was protoindustrialism in the future where spirits roam freely and the government wanted to use the energy for some illicit cause. So it ended up being romantic between the girl and the guy.
>>
>>333454535
They explained everything, they have 5 scenes where they literally stop everything and chat, the old man and the woman, the woman and the soldiers, the council of assholes, the woman and the old man and the soldiers and the woman and her squeeze.
The very opposite criticism is what I expected but for whatever reason people seem to have memory loss. This movie literally could not stop trying to keep the audience up to pace because of how much space ghost shit was going on every few minutes.
>>
File: Looking up Corrick.jpg (7 KB, 152x162) Image search: [Google]
Looking up Corrick.jpg
7 KB, 152x162
>>333443759
The CGIs in themself are still ground-breaking today. So they were heckuva something for the year, let me tell you.

The major problem with the movie is that the story was kinda cheesy and the characters were all just bland clichés (The funny guy, The warrior lesbian, the MC, the MC's crush, the old sage (who's named Cid, *wink wink* )etc. etc.).

The movie can still be fun, although fairly fucking long.

What I wonder though, is what would've happened to square if the movie had been a huge success. MC-girl (Can't remember her name), was supposed to become the first "virtual actress" (because mind you, the movie didn't use actors to capture movements, it was all done from scratch). So basically, had it been a success, MC-girl would've become Square's head product (probably appearing on tv/other games. She would've basically been Lightning 0.1, or well, she was, but she couldn't be forced further (unlike lightning).

What killed it for me was the lack of any magic other than >MUH LIFE SPIRIT that nobody gave a fuck about.
>>
>>333455596
>that explanation
Anon you're not helping.
Basically I still don't understand the whole spirit bullshit, why do the ghosts exist, why do they kill people by touch, what the fuck was that entire ending and so on.
>>
>>333453890
There were robots in 1, duder
>>
>>333455805
You can't just say, "i dun get it," and then list a billion things that are literally explained in the movie.

If it was hard to understand, I get that but it's weird when someone read a book and goes all, "well what the fuck was that"
>>
>>333455725
Also many peoples complained about it not being like any other final fantasy game. Although I understand where it comes from (it feels far from any FF univers) but every FF game is different. So this movie was an attempt at something different (again) and failed miserably. They would've been better off testing the water with a game instead.
>>
File: tumblr_nj1sy9GSU91qib0d2o1_500.jpg (141 KB, 500x525) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nj1sy9GSU91qib0d2o1_500.jpg
141 KB, 500x525
"That's one of the best Sci-Fi films ever made" - Max "Life is Strange"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAH9MlJZQlg
>>
>>333455805
The spirits are aliens from that meteorite (actually a chunk of their planet) that crashed. Yes alien ghosts/energy who were, prior to getting rekt, fighting each other. When they were kill they decided that fighting is gay and will only destroy your planet. So that's why they kill humans trying to fuck with nature so they don't end up killing themselves.
>>
>>333443759

>Final Fantasy
>There is no fantasy

They wasted all those resources on a sub-par story when they could have made an FF7 movie instead.
>>
>>333456006
I watched it and sorry but I don't remember any explanations.
I might rewatch it one day.
>>
>>333456020
The difference being though is that even with particular generations taking radical turns for the sake of being different, there are still connecting factors to make it "Final Fantasy"

Spirits Within had next to 0 of that.
>>
>>333456205
So it's literally Mass Effect 3 plot.
Okay.
>>
>>333456202
Excuse me while I go throw up.
>>
>>333456258
I agree with you on that though. I hoped for ifrit to pop up and save the face of this movie, near the end. But yeah, the movie itself was a sellout to try to turn the FF into some idol contest with MC-girl and it failed miserably.

Instead we got boys bands fighters now.
>>
The only good part was nuking the aliens from orbit with that killsat thing.
>>
>>333456424
Not exactly. As long as the humans stay away from dat der japanese unobtanium everything is peachy.
>>
>>333456253
They don't show it on TV anymore so I barely get to watch it.

but it made me cry when I first saw it.
>>
File: 1363668437170.png (167 KB, 344x337) Image search: [Google]
1363668437170.png
167 KB, 344x337
>>333443805
>It was pretty neat sci-fi.
>neat sci-fi
>sci-fi
>sci
>>
>>333456617
Then why the fuck do they attack humans who are doing nothing wrong?
>>
>>333456567
>spirits are actually designed after known Final Fantasy summons/bosses
>tone down the threat of the spirits so they don't just kill on touch to even out the challenge for the characters
>notch down the aesthetic to a more industrial setting
>have at least 2 characters with swords or some kind of melee capability to lessen the gunplay
>add a goddamn chocobo

they could have made it different and still somewhat faithful to the franchise, it would not have been hard

such a shame
>>
>>333443759
Spirits Within was a confused movie.

It was confused about who its audience was.

It was confused about what the game series it was portraying was perceived to be about.

But mostly it was confused about whether it was a love story or an action thriller, of which it was neither. Special effects are pretty decent, and the story is serviceable if you are REALLY generous.
>>
>>333456761
By association. I mean Baldwin's character is still alive or some shit, and Aki was seen by the spookyayyliums hanging with Buscemi and the gang.
>>
>>333456993
You just described Batman vs Superman
>>
>>333457048
>be living in bumfuck nowhere
>tech dudes come across me and ask for direction
>ayylmao kill me becuse they saw me with the high tech dudes

Shit writing you mean.
>>
File: 1458427863100.gif (1 MB, 500x220) Image search: [Google]
1458427863100.gif
1 MB, 500x220
>>333456202
SE's plug in DE:HR was cute, immersion diluting but amusing enough. This borders on sad.
And I liked the movie, but you just can't go patting yourself on the back like that.
>>
It will be considered a good movie once Warcraft sets the bar lower.
>>
>>333455080
>I sat through the entire movie waiting for someone to cast a spell.
I thought I was the only one.
>>
>>333443759
The former definitely. I love FF7 but Advent Children was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Spirits Within was okay but not great, and honestly the Final Fantasy moniker did more harm than good.
>>
>>333457146
They weren't exactly the smartest aliens.
>>
>>333457309
ACC fixed a lot of wrong with original AC.
And the Denzel episode helps a lot since you get to care about the kid.
>>
>>333447089
>Milla Jovovich
>tits

good joke m8
>>
>>333457434
ACC elevated it from "beyond a disaster" to "merely bad"
>>
Is the new Final Fantasy anime good?
>>
>>333457136
Ugh don't remind me. I was really hoping they would just watch was Marvel does and just make a Justice League movie out of the concept. They failed to make any sort of a movie out of it.

>>333457306

This is what I'm talking about, why couldn't the soldiers just have had magic. I mean yeah it might have cost a bit more but it would have looked cooler and spiced up the action scenes more.
>>
My gripe is you feel like your already halfway through the movie when it starts. I remember missing the first 15 minutes every time I watched it and being like "fuck I missed so much" so eventually I rented the goddamn thing. Needless to say, I was surprised when the first 15 minutes didn't really explain much else.
>>
>>333457570
It's just four guys eating burgers and camping. The action was shit and there wasn't much to the story.
>>
>>333443759
Its a technically impressive film with a completely lackluster plot and characters.
>>
I remember fapping to the nude render when I was a kid
>>
>>333457852
was it good
>>
>>333457753
Pretty much this. The CG hair in Spirits Within was amazing for its time.

It's too bad it had a shitty video game plot of the time too.
>>
>>333457723
Sounds comfy as fuck.
>>
File: nuda3d.jpg (199 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
nuda3d.jpg
199 KB, 768x1024
>>333457895
You tell me
>>
>>333457570
It's literally just a multi episode commercial/trailer for the game.

You watch the dudes do all the things you can do in the game like the show runners were checking off boxes on a list. But you only get a little taste of each. Only little taste of the party banter. Only a little taste of the action.

Basically no it's not good it's shit what did you expect
>>
>>333458053
I think... I fapped to this too.
>>
>>333458053
I fapped to this
>>
>>333457989
It is, but it's short and doesn't offer much beyond BLshipperb8
>>
>>333456707
Magic is science in their world. The definition of science is that it must be observable and repeatable.
>>
>>333458053
>>333457852
My nigga
>>
>>333458249
Good thing I'm gay.
Time to watch.
>>
>>333443759
It has its moments. I like that gelatinous stuff they would throw out of their airplanes and then jump into to break their fall, and the fact that the giant orbital cannon had a manual fire.
>>
>>333458286
You'll love it then. The first episode is on youtube.
>>
>>333454587
Just ignore that fag anon, he's probably mad because his wife leave him and took his wii-u
>>
It would been great if they didn't call it Final Fantasy
>>
>>333443759
the cgi looks great
>>
>>333444302
I prefer catgirls over elves any day of the week.
>>
Cliche sci-fi distopian generic glossed over bullshit asian hippy crap. Only thing good about it was the scene when cheeky sidekick and loyal black man fight off the ghost things.

That being said, it wasn't a horrible movie. Despite things being somewhat generic, at the time the mesh of asian hippy mysticism with a sci-fi aesthetic was fairly fresh, and the voice acting and animation was top-tier, even probably by today's standards. But a lot of other media has covered similar aesthetic and themes in the 15~ years since, so I'm not sure how it would hold up to a viewer now.
>>
>>333457201
Square Enix didn't make Life is Strange, they only published it. They don't even own Dontnod.
>>
>>333457250
>warcraft
>bad movie

go cut off your big dick asshole
>>
>>333443759
Both, actually.
>>
>>333459351
I know, they only published DE:HR too. The FFXXVII bit was in there anyway.
>>
>>333459846
Well the point I was making is that Eidos is owned by Square Enix so the reference makes sense there.
>>
>>333444464

FF12 was the reason everyone dropped the series.

I guess you never got the memo.

>that shit combat
>ever
>>
Why did that anon delete the FF: Unlimited image? That show was absurd but entertaining. Every time that asshole had to do a summon he through a college graduation speech.
>The soil for bla bla bla has been decided. Bla bla. Bla bla bla.
>Bla bla. BLA!
>>
File: kuroki kaze.jpg (39 KB, 225x350) Image search: [Google]
kuroki kaze.jpg
39 KB, 225x350
>>333460564
No idea.
>>
I thought FF10 was when people began dropping the series.

>that SHIT voice acting and stupid story
>but, Lulu's tits. Lulu's fucking tits.
>>
File: Luna.jpg (336 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Luna.jpg
336 KB, 1920x1080
>>333443759

It was horrible. My friends and I used to do sleep-overs every single weekend of early high-school. Went to watch that one Friday night, and we walked out after 40 minutes to go get some good.

I wonder how this will be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP8EgMUVmwk
>>
>>333443970
It had some elements of FF, but not enough.

I don't care if it's 10 million years into a technologically advanced society. If it doesn't have chocobos, it's not final fantasy.
>>
>>333460816
XV as a whole is looking precarious.
>>
>>333460816
It will probably be utter shit just like the last CGI Final Fantasy movie.
>>
>>333460816
>Sony Pictures
So Sony funded the movie. That answers a lot.
>>
>>333458053
i fapped to this as well
>>
>>333460690
if FFX had an option to disable voice acting it wouldn't have been that bad. it would have been a decent game.
>>
File: 1440898726274.png (113 KB, 404x404) Image search: [Google]
1440898726274.png
113 KB, 404x404
>>333443759
This movie came out in theaters on my birthday. My friends and I were so hyped to go see this because we were heavy into Final Fantasy at the time.

Needless to say, it was a disappointment that the movie made essentially no shout outs to the games at all.

Coming from movies like the Mortal Kombat movies which were actually quite heavily faithful to the games it was an utter disappointment. We were also all too young to really fully understand or be gripped by the story, but that was the case for the games too I think, but at least those were flashy and engaging enough in other ways to hold our interest.

Honestly though, I feel like a long time from now this movie will be heralded as an underappreciated masterpiece.
>>
File: cov_277_l.jpg (163 KB, 1229x800) Image search: [Google]
cov_277_l.jpg
163 KB, 1229x800
>>333461070
>precarious

It's looking fun.
>>
>>333460816

>Aaron Paul

It's gonna be sick BITCH!
>>
>>333460816
I can't help but shake this feeling that everything surrounding 15 will be fucking terrible because it's been changed around so much. Like the game comes out and the story is just a mess because even the creators forgot to change some stuff around after ANOTHER story change was made.

The first episode of the anime was pretty good at least. Maybe I'm just paranoid.
>>
File: 1459998569183.jpg (151 KB, 959x727) Image search: [Google]
1459998569183.jpg
151 KB, 959x727
>>333461434

Nah, it's good to be cautious, and not give into hype culture.
>>
>>333461434
>I can't help but shake this feeling that everything surrounding 15 will be fucking terrible because it's been changed around so much.

Nah that's just typical of Final Fantasy games. I mean I love FF7 and I consider myself to be very familiar with its story and characters, so I think I know what I'm talking about when I say that Advent Children was horseshit and the rest of the spinoffs were borderline unplayable trash. I don't expect the new "compilation" for FF15 to be any better.
>>
I remember vaguely enjoying it and the CG was cool. It wasn't a very good movie though.
>>
>>333461221
when did playshapes make a ff flash
>>
>I finally understand... I must quell the angry ghosts inside the planet... I must finally become: Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within!!

Really, Square?
>>
>>333462012
don't do this to me
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cinyQQhjc0U&nohtml5=False

This is probably the closest you'll get to a Final Fantasy film in the spirit of the older games.
>>
File: 1459395222182.png (114 KB, 371x578) Image search: [Google]
1459395222182.png
114 KB, 371x578
>>333443759
Both
>>
>>333462012
>I guess you could say... that this truly is, the Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
>>
>>333443759
It was right on the verge of CGI actually looking convincing, but otherwise the actual story was forgettable and bad.
>>
>>333461217

>disabling voice acting

HA HA HA HA!!!!!
>>
>>333443759
Me and my sister watched this movie way before ever being into FF. Even as a sci fi movie it was shit. It couldn't draw in FF fans and it definitely couldn't draw in sci fi fans, it really had nothing going for it.
>>
It was alright but for what they spent it wasn't worth it. Also it had very little to do with any Final Fantasy game or anything similar to one.
>>
it was ok
>>
They spent too much on the animation.
>>
File: sid.jpg (193 KB, 1384x1024) Image search: [Google]
sid.jpg
193 KB, 1384x1024
>>333443759
It achieved a level of detail that made Hollywood afraid of these kind of movies (realistic CGI) destroy the industry as we know, they boyccoted this movie hard while praise cartoonish/fantasy CGI movies. The Doctor face animation makes me shiver everytime I watch it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgqDYfFly00
>>
>>333443759

It was decent.

Really, it was a victim of awful marketing. Squaresoft/Sakaguchi tried to pull the same old trick by slapping "Final Fantasy" on it, but while that might've worked for video games, movies are a whole different ballgame. Video game movies are generally box office poison. They should have just marketed it as a marvel of CGI. Remove the "Final Fantasy" label and just call it "Spirits Within". It could have been Avatar before Avatar.
>>
>>333447757
>>333451648
Reminder this was made a year prior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLARaIPEj4k&nohtml5=False
Thread replies: 201
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.