[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>You don't want classic servers. You think you do, but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 74
File: ripnost5.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ripnost5.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>You don't want classic servers. You think you do, but you don't." -Blizzard
>>
I wish I was around for that plague. That shit sounded so fun
>>
Pictured: the entire Nostalrius population.
>>
>>333440701
You will play them for 5 mins they it dawns on you you have to pay then you unsub because you are a freeloader. fucking go back to a slav shit hole commie fuck
>>
File: 1444640329842.jpg (17 KB, 400x380) Image search: [Google]
1444640329842.jpg
17 KB, 400x380
>tfw activision shut down IW4M/4D1 (MW2 with dedicated servers) and nobody gave a fuck
>>
blizzard has the right to protect their product. If you created a song, and you didn't like someone doing something with it, you have the right to prevent them from doing so because its your creation.

If vanilla was shit compared to current wow. no one would give two fucks about blizzard sueing nost because they would just say, "lol vanilla was gay as shit."

That said, unless blizzard has plans in the works to do nostgila servers, it makes sense for blizzard to demand that nost gives them some profit. Nothing wrong with a little slice of cake from a place you normally wouldn't get.
>>
>>333442659
+20 activision points to you good goyim
>>
>>333442659
Nostalrius was free, dumbass. There was no profit being made. IIRC there weren't even donations.
>>
>>333440915
that's only about 400ish people though
>>
>>333442424
>Alteriwnet with dedicated severs
>Al those pro-mod Mw2
Fuck, the memories
>>
>>333442882
But he's right. Companies are well within their rights, and in fact are required to protect their IP.
>>
File: 1415578010707.gif (827 KB, 350x262) Image search: [Google]
1415578010707.gif
827 KB, 350x262
>the only time WoW is discussed on /v/ is when retarded genwunners cry about their illegal server being shut down
>>
File: you_knuckle_head__come_ere.gif (2 MB, 320x214) Image search: [Google]
you_knuckle_head__come_ere.gif
2 MB, 320x214
>>333440915

This. They gathered for that shot, obviously. If they were actually playing the game, you wouldn't see any of them ever.
>>
>>333440701

Orgrimmar and IF was pretty much slideshows with my shitty ass pc.
>>
>>333442659
But it's more like if you created a song that you no longer produce copies of or play live or offer anymore. Nostralius represented a product that doesn't actually exist on the market currently.
>>
>>333443078
WoW has a big thread like every two or three days, did you just start browsing /v/?
>>
>>333443126

As you said, more like a bootleg from an early gig
>>
>>333443078
I've seen plenty of WoW threads on /v/... mostly talking about how much the game sucks now and how it could be better.

/v/ seems to have a real love/hate relationship with the game.
>>
>>333443126
i would compare it to someone covering a song for their freinds and the record company breaking down the door to the house and demanding payment
>>
>>333443196
i can't even recall the last time i've not seen an active wow thread.
>>
>>333443196

Yes. Yes he did. I mean you'd expect a bit more from someone who'd been here for some time. The bait is stale. Stale as fuck.
>>
>>333443105
Yeah, I was about to say, It's been a long time since I've seen IF that full.
>>
>>333442906

This is an important fact that has to be considered.

Musicians are able to sample whatever music they like and remix it, UNLESS they're profiting from it as opposed to releasing it for free as a mixtape or something. In that case you'd have to have permission from the creator.
>>
>>333443298
WoW really was the best mmo there probably ever will be for about 9 years ish. End of vanilla, BC, as well as most of Wrath were REALLY good and a lot of fun. The beginning of the decline came at the end of Wrath and the game just went downhill from there. They dumbed down and cuasualized everything, they homogonized all the classes, all the lore and settings were either boring or retconned everything else (im looking at you legion).

But once upon a time WoW really was an amazing game. Il never forget how much fun raiding was in BC and Wrath.
>>
>>333443439

Didn't notice it at first, but there's actually hostile characters in the mix. So we're to understand that they just hang out in IF too, right?
>>
>>333440701
Jesus christ

As a poorfag kid I only really played WoW for about 2 months during the burning crusade, and never did any of the great stuff like raids, quit due to cash after I hit 50

I played free trials on and off till now, though never payed due to the direction the game was going

Perhaps it's nostalgia, but fuck me with a rake if WoW didn't perfect that feeling. The UI is great, the art and areas are, for lack of a better word, comfy. Walking into orgrimmar and seeing those hordes of people was a normal day, and everything felt fucking great

Other MMO's a re fun, but I think WoW nailed a feeling to the world that other games have missed
>>
Hey Blizzard, maybe there wouldn't be a need for vanilla servers if current WoW wasn't such absolute garbage
>>
File: f6b.jpg (24 KB, 325x184) Image search: [Google]
f6b.jpg
24 KB, 325x184
>when you have three servers in a content era when there are fewer places to hang out, the population looks dense

Woooooow, no fucking way!

12K is a drop in the bucket to retail even now. Move on, faggots, you're an insignificant minority.
>>
File: 1904366434.jpg (230 KB, 736x736) Image search: [Google]
1904366434.jpg
230 KB, 736x736
>>333442882
>fuck rights and shit

Nah, kill yourself
>>
>>333444571
>defending an $18.9 billion corporation

lmao do you really think it matters weather they are paying or not

cant believe im replying to this shitty bait
>>
>>333443105
>They gathered for that shot, obviously

[Citation needed]
>>
>>333446256
not him but it's pretty clear from the shot, what with non skeletal corpses on the ground and so few people at the auction house, which is actually where most of the activity would be for real
>>
Any recommendations for new servers? Really feeling towards The Rebirth, but apparently it's lacking PvP and population...
>>
Guys, are you all missing the whole part about Nost releasing their source code?

You guys do realize that other people can make a Nost-level quality server right?

You guys realized all those shitty vanilla servers can finally grab Nosts code and actually fix shit right?

I for one am excited to play on a new server at a new start and to also setup a local server of my own to dick around in singleplayer.
>>
I don't ride vanilla's dick, but I guess it could be interesting to see if I could go back and work my way up to vanilla-naxx level raiding.

Can't say I miss AQ40, though.

But yeah, this wouldn't even be an issue if the current game wasn't so damn shit. I doubt blizz will ever make classic servers, though.
>>
>>333446751
Forgot to add that most private servers never release their code and bugfixes because they don't want the competition grabbing it.

However, if nost does this, we could see a renaissance of new proper vanilla servers.
>>
>more people played on Nostlarius than people who play across almost a dozen servers

Blizzard really truly is fucking up by not having legacy servers. Free fucking money right there. I'd easily pay 15 bucks to replay Classic / TBC.

Just imagine how many people they'd get from all the private server communities if they'd just open legacy servers.
>>
Blizzard is actually right about this. Of the people who like WoW, maybe only a quarter would say they want to play on vanilla. And of the people who say they want to play vanilla, maybe only half actually do.

Vanilla was something like a phenomena. It wasn't that the game was at its peak mechanically, balance-wise, or in its game design. What Vanilla had was an abundance of players unlike anyone has ever seen before. This means that your grind from 1 to 60, as boring as it was, always had someone suffering with you.

That's really what creates the relationships and cool WoW moments, suffering together. Suffering through three day long AVs. Suffering through getting consistently ganked in Stranglethorn. Suffering through 10m UBRS. You can do all of this because whatever level you were, wherever you were, there were always many people beside you. The combination of the death of EQ, the initial popularity of online gaming, and the mainstream exposure from those celebrity ads and people 'coming out' as WoW players was some sort of once-a-lifetime perfect storm that allowed server culture to flourish. Kiting a world boss to a city isn't novel anymore. Grinding pirate rep isn't interesting to do.

It's not natural, no matter how hard you want to try and recreate the feeling of vanilla. It's a product of the time and it's never coming back.
>>
>>333447763
Problem is that Blizzard never kept backups of the old source code to run those servers. They would have to remake vanilla from the ground up (possibly without the actual information about the items, monsters, item mechanics, ect). Essentially Blizzard would either have to basically remake their old MMO off all the information gathered by private servers, or get the code from some private server. There is also the fact that they would have to basically admit that their new content is so bad that they have to bring in the old content to appeal to people.

Oh and lastly, people will play vanilla for several months, but after killing Kel thuzard a few times people will leave cause there is nothing left to do.
>>
>>333448128

I'm waiting on Worlds of Starcraft myself.
>>
>>333443320
Its a cover where you take all the original song's assets.
>>
>>333448128
>list a bunch of reasons that made vanilla actually feel like you were accomplishing something when you did stuff

what the fuck is your point supposed to be? you think doing dailies and shit is better than overcoming hardships with a ragtag group in a pug or doing a 40 man raid with your newfound e buddies?
>>
>>333447763
Blizzard would have to admit they are major fuckups for legacy servers to happen. But they won't.

Did they apologize for D3? WoD? No. They said they were happy with the way they turned out. Worse than EA.
>>
So is everyone migrating to another vanilla server? I know Nost and Kronos were rivals for a while; I'd like to think anyone still interested in playing will roll on Kronos now.
>>
>>333440701

Does anyone know of any decent Australian private servers?
>>
>this one fedora in the last thread kept arguing that it would cost blizzard next to nothing to do legacy servers

shit was so good
>>
>>333451249
Waiting on Nost source code to be released.

particularly interested in doing a singleplayer run of WoW since I don't have the time/internet for raiding.
>>
>>333451707
fuckin autist
>>333451249
everyone migrats to atlnatiss
>>
Blizzard will never make a vanilla server because it makes them seem at fault, that they cannot appeal to consumers with their new product.
>>
>>333451690
But they're right. Arenanet proved that years ago and those were for official servers.
>>
>April fools joke on Blizzard's twitter about legacy servers
>A lot of people get pissed off about it, point out Nost as a successful popular vanilla server
>Nost goes down 5 days later due to legal action

Coincidence?
Blizzard wants you goyims preordering Legion.
>>
>>333451793
>wanting to dick around on a well scripted version of vanilla is autism
>>
only thing WoW has to do on the live server is make it a more open world feeling

I mean, is it that fucking hard? More wordly content? Traveling to dungeons?

Use the beautiful world you create, instances are just so overused
>>
You really don't. 98% of the people would want them for free and would refuse to pay for them
>>
>>333451690
It wouldn't cost them anything, it doesn't cost them anything NOW for live servers.

Anybody can host a fucking WoW server you moron, they're cheap as shit.
>>
>>333452028

Is this the thread where we pretend things aren't thing?

There's tons of world shit to do in WoW, and you have to travel to dungeons in person to do them on the only difficulties that matter
>>
>these people breathe the same air as you
>>
>>333442906
being free doesn't mean it isn't violating copyright law you dumbass.
>>
>>333452162

Everquest shitheads should have died with their irrelevant game
>>
>>333452090
People will pay monthly for a fully scripted and bug free version of vanilla.
>>
File: 1452028469246.jpg (21 KB, 281x301) Image search: [Google]
1452028469246.jpg
21 KB, 281x301
>>333452162

>People have different preferences and demands in life compared to a /v/ shut in who wants to live the "glory" days

Colour me surprised
>>
>>333449308
>overcoming hardships
that's the point, no one wants to do that anymore, at least no one wants to pay to do that
>>
>>333452090
which is a good thing because 97% of that 98% would be azn/br/rus
>>
>>333452297

>the opinions of the other side of the argument don't count
>mine do

You forgot your smug anime image.
>>
>>333452130
None of the dungeon difficulties matter.
>>
>>333452162
>lvl 1 on a forum

yeah that definitely isn't a 13 year old who knows fuck all
>>
Yeah, WoW's dead. Blizzard is so scared of a private server with almost a million players? retail must have barely a million for them to shut down Nostalrious.

Fucking pathetic. What a bunch of fucking rats. Legion is going to flop, they won't even say how many subs they have, so it may as well be zero because nobody worth a shit still plays retail WoW. Penny Arcade quit, TB quit, all major league raiding guilds quit, what made WoW, WoW is gone and dead.

Nostalrious was a tribute and Blizzard pissed on it like the villains they are. Hope their building catches fire, hope Metzen hangs himself, hope something good actually happens for once.
>>
File: 1439283692242.png (156 KB, 270x270) Image search: [Google]
1439283692242.png
156 KB, 270x270
Currently downloading Rift, going back to my max level necromancer i havent touched in years. Fuck you Blizzard.
>>
File: followyourdreams.png (1 MB, 1000x1502) Image search: [Google]
followyourdreams.png
1 MB, 1000x1502
>>
>>333452098
>>333451927
then why doesn't blizzard do it if they're able to so easily

hint: any answer but "it's not profitable" is wrong
>>
So just move to kronos, retard.

No way they'll shut down a server that's located in sweden.
>>
>>333452098
>>333451927

They would literally have to reverse engineer their own game. The WoW code is a horribly commented mess and the vanilla version of the server tech is literally gone, dead, deleted forever.

It would cost them more than 0
>>
File: 1432957226630.jpg (187 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1432957226630.jpg
187 KB, 800x600
There are literally hundreds of WoW Private Servers out there. Some have even been running for years. Don't believe me? A simple google search will bring you an entire list of long-lasting private servers.

Nos was targeted because it was embarrassing. You had all these people flocking to play an older outdated version of Blizzard's MMO rather than their current iteration. It had a higher population than 95% of current WoD WoW servers. Really, why else would Blizzard target it? Do you think they would give a shit otherwise? It's not like these private servers are in direct competition with current WoW. Its not like anyone is going to go back to playing retail now that Nos is dead. They'll just wait around for Corecraft or whatever the next big private server will be.

Whether or not Blizzard actually decides to jump on the legacy server ship in the future, Nos was just detrimental to their image.
>>
>>333452852
>tfw used my Skeleton costume trinket on a Rogue
>Can never be a skeleton with skeletons that summons skeletons and transforms into skeletons

Guess I'll settle for my Bard Skeleton.
>>
>>333453064
sweden is the US bitch when it comes to IP, see thepiratebay
>>
>>333453046

Pride.

Do you really think they're going to go into a shareholders meeting telling everyone that their current products are failing and that demand is constantly growing for older emulated content?
>>
>Nost launches
>Blizz doesn't have to care
>Start buying adspace and accepting money
>Force Blizz to take action or allow it to be used as example in future lawsuits

Quit getting mad at ActiBlizz because the Nost team was fucking retarded.
>>
>>333453046
I have a better answer, they only have a skeleton crew maintaining live WoW.

All their mediocre developers are working on legion and the decent ones are doing overwatch.

Activision is known for being a micromanaging drone company, so there's no way people can move between departments to set up something like a legacy server.
>>
>>333453046
Because that would require them to admit that modern WoW is garbage and everybody would rather play on legacy servers.
>>
>>333440701
Now taht nost is dead what will become of me? I don't want 4chan anymore. 4chan has become worse than reddit.
>>
>>333453125
if only there was a server they could buy.
>>
>Today is also the day where Nostalrius will start being community-driven in the truest sense of the word, as we will be releasing the source code, and anonymized players data (encrypting personal account data), so the community as a whole will decide the form of the future of Nostalrius. We will still be there in the background if you want us to, but will no longer take the lead.

Nost will rise back up in another server.
>>
>>333453125
enthusiast were doing it for free and they just shut them down. If the company was not a hierarchical mess they could have worked with nost to create a legacy retail server, although not bug free.
>>
>>333453391
>>333453462
Ya'll are almost as retarded as >>333453459. ALMOST.
>>
>>333453290
Yeah, I can see it's up and running
>>
>>333453391
Runescape did it.
>>
>>333453447
source for the ad space? all donated money went directly to the hosting company to cover hosting costs.
>>
>>333452639
Probably an alt they use to use the forum so as to not sully their actual character with retarded posts
>>
Corecraft fucking when?
>>
>>333440701
This image is hilarious. You think this is proving blizzard wrong? If this is everyone in Nost it's pathetic.
>>
File: 1459657797316.png (62 KB, 185x184) Image search: [Google]
1459657797316.png
62 KB, 185x184
>>333452564

Pretty sure you just described /v/, friendo
>>
>>333453204
>There are literally hundreds of WoW Private Servers out there. Some have even been running for years. Don't believe me? A simple google search will bring you an entire list of long-lasting private servers.

Yeah but how many of those hundred are actual quality servers with a highly active community? I agree there are tons of private servers out there, but once you weed out the ones that are simple experiments where the admins don't have any long term plan for it, those with a shit host that crumble at the slightest DDoS, those that don't know how to script or fix bugs, and those with less than 1000 registered accounts/100 active players, the pool suddenly becomes a lot smaller.
>>
>>333452750
>Blizzard is so scared of a private server with almost a million players
It doesn't have nearly that many. It has 50-60k at the absolute most optimistic, with 18k online at peak.

Otherwise I agree with you, Blizzard had no reason to do this other than to piss on people who wanted to play Vanilla, to tell them they have no right to play any version of the game but the latest one. Preorder Legion today!
>>
>>333453683

>there are people dumb enough to think your characters aren't linked
>there are people who think you can't see everyone's alts with a browser plugin
>>
>>333453567
>no argument

wew
>>
>>333453683
it's been so long since i used a forum with an account and a visible trackable name
>>
>>333449094
>Where you take all the original song's assets

Different anon here. Congratulations, you fucking described a cover of a song.
>>
>>333453532
most of the hate today is shilling backlash, but in the grand scheme of things one server getting shut down isn't going to end the private scene. Hell, nost probably brought some new blood in for the next popular server
>>
>>333453771
They have 800k unique registered accounts, that's where his number came from. Of those how many are bots/fake? I don't know.
>>
Holy shit Blizzard is playing everyone again
First it's Overwatch and now this
Blizz fans truly are retarded
>>
So what does this mean for other private vanilla servers? Is there anything they can do to make themselves a little more lawsuit resistant?
>>
>>333453737
That's only a fraction of the total online. In fact, there's only about 30% more players in IF in that pic than there normally is at any given peak-time. Peak population averages 10k-12k online.
>>
>>333453981
Don't become big.
>>
>>333453976

>Blizz fans are the ones that are mad about muh Nost

quit falsefagging
>>
>>333453981
Be hosted in a country that doesn't have a financial interest with the United States.
>>
>>333453459
lolno

they don't have mixed teams, the OW team is their own, as is WoW

the only time they changed this recently is when Titan dumped members into WoD development and took the rest for OW
>>333453391
>they shut it down for personal reasons
lolno
>>
>>333442659
I think its more like if you made a song 10 years ago and you died but a newer artist comes and remixes your song without changing the lyrics.
>>
>>333446256
yes, i too remember when i stand around on my horse in the middle of an IF street doing absolutely nothing
>>
>>333454124

So basically they need to move to fucking Swaziland?

I never even played Nost, but this news made me nostalgic like a motherfucker for vanilla WoW, but jumping onto another server that might get rekt in a month seems like a waste.
>>
>>333454124
This. Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to host it in a country that sucks American cock? Move it to fucking Russia or something.
>>
>>333454148

There's just so many people, it's such a popular free server type. You can't afford to not crowd the street on your mounts.
>>
>>333440701

WoW was never good, mmos were just a new thing back then and people weren't jaded to all their tricks.
>>
>>333440701
we want the vanilla experience though
an unsolved game, shit to explore, a world to discover

so basically go make wow2 and make data mining impossible
>>
File: TpEC0KR.gif (2 MB, 405x320) Image search: [Google]
TpEC0KR.gif
2 MB, 405x320
thank fuck. maybe now shills will stop advertising private servers or whining about a dying mmo in traditional warcraft threads.
>>
>>333454534
I'm pretty sure the idea at the time was French governments wouldn't bother pursuing a tiny group of volunteers doing video games. But when Nost exploded in popularity following its launch, gaining thousands and thousands of new users every months, it eventually caught their attention until the situation we're in today. Hindsight is 20/20 after all.
>>
File: nostalrius.jpg (204 KB, 1014x691) Image search: [Google]
nostalrius.jpg
204 KB, 1014x691
Blizzard finally went after Nostalrius because RMT was a huge problem there, chink players were making serious money selling gold and powerleveling services.

Making money off someone else IP is illegal as fuck.
>>
>>333454926
What the fuck, that's an even bigger scam than Blizzard's token thing.
>>
>>333452852
>going back to Trion

Anon we have to talk.
>>
>>333454926
>>333455136

A bunch of ragtag nobodies make a private Vanilla server so good that even the Chinese gold farmers come back to play it.

>b-b-but Vanilla sucks and there's no demand for it!
>>
>>333452162
this post owns and he's right
>>
>>333454034
THERE ARE DOZENS OF US...DOZENNNNSS
>>
>>333455425
How is player exploitation encouraged by the admins a positive?
>>
File: 1459419708706.jpg (10 KB, 249x249) Image search: [Google]
1459419708706.jpg
10 KB, 249x249
>>333442659
Intellectual property is a joke, fuck copyright fags, keep ducking mickey mouse's dick faggot
>>
>>333453462
>any reason other than financial

L O L N O

Jagex had no problem admitting that some people would rather play old runescape(they're dumb for it but hey so are vanilla private players). TWICE. Yes, the old old 2001 runescape with 2d monocolor sprites was a game people said they would rather play than 2007scape. Blizzard doesn't do it for personal reasons
>>
>>333455521
It wasn't. That screencap is from a gold selling site.
>>
>>333454148
And what do you do now?
>>
>>333443564
I think those are just pets.
Especially since the dude referencing Yu Yu Hakusho named his pet kuwabara
>>
File: 200.gif (756 KB, 449x200) Image search: [Google]
200.gif
756 KB, 449x200
All those moments will be lost in time...like tears in rain.

Time to die.
>>
>>333455717
i don't play wow anymore
>>
>>333455667
>Blizzard doesn't do it for personal reasons
Because they're egotistical kikes, we know.
>>
>>333442659
woah son that ever stopped Daft Punk from sampling shit?
>>
I close my eyes, only for a moment, and the moment's gone
All my dreams pass before my eyes, a curiosity
Dust in the wind
All they are is dust in the wind
>>
>>333453742
full pic plz
>>
>itt kids who don't understand the concept of entry barriers

Guess what, if 20k people went through all the trouble to download, register, edit the game files to connect to WoW emulation servers, then the actual market for vanilla and burning crusade servers is probably huge.

And that scares the fuck out of Blizzard.

Blizzard just doesn't want to compete with themselves, how are they going to sell their shitty expansion packs if people would rather play on a vanilla server?
>>
>>333440701
>>
>>333448128
I'm no mathematician, but a quarter of wow's current pop is certainly a fuck load of people.
>>
>>333455829
ego is a personal reason

you're so mad you literally think people you've never met not catering to your insane demand is because of personal reasons

L O L
>>333456001
this is the worst post i've seen over this subject oh my god

>thinking "entry barriers" is somehow a point FOR nost when you're GOING TO HAVE TO FUCKING DO IT ANYWAY IF BLIZZARD HAD THEIR OWN LEGACY SERVERS

HAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHA
>>
>>333456143
?

Blizzard handles everything through their battle.net client you stupid cuck
>>
There is nothing more autismo than playing MMOs on private servers. MMOs are always expanding, updating, and evolving. That's the point. For better or worse on what WoW is today, why the fuck would you want to play Vanilla or BC? I imagine the only people interested in doing that are people who weren't actually around during that time, so they want a more authentic experience of it. I enjoyed those times, but they are done and over with, why would I want to repeatedly do shit I already accomplished years ago? Just move on to another game if new WoW isn't what you like and stop trying to recapture that old feeling WoW gave you, because it's impossible.
>>
>>333456001

Very few of the people playing on Nost were ever interested in playing retail anymore, that's why they were on Nost.

If this is being done because they're going to release their own legacy servers soon, it makes them heartless kikes (which they are anyways, really) but at least it makes sense.

But it's retarded to think that 150k active accounts will suddenly switch to current retail because Nost isn't around anymore.
>>
File: 4585625.jpg (35 KB, 570x390) Image search: [Google]
4585625.jpg
35 KB, 570x390
>>333453532
Nigga I just gave away all my gold.
>>
>>333455667
Funny thing is, Jagex reopened RSC this year for its 15th anniversary. Though if you didn't log in between Jan 11 and March 11, you won't be able to log in now.
>>
>>333440701
>a bunch of people standing around AFK in town

WOW WHAT AN ADVENTURE

fuck off nostalgia fag. get over your dead 10 year old game and move the fuck on
>>
can you guys stop saying it's blizzard doing this

pretty sure blizzard team doesnt care and its just some jew at activision, activision did the same exact thing to some incredibly small cod communities who modded their P2P games to use dedicated servers - all of them are gone and instantly shut down as soon as another pops up.
>>
File: murloc plushie.jpg (12 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
murloc plushie.jpg
12 KB, 225x225
>all this hate

alright /v/, show me on the dolly where the private server touched you
>>
>>333448895
That ship sailed when they butchered SC2.
>>
>>333456547

Activision is Blizzard. They're inseparable now, they all answer to quite literally the worst man in the video game industry, Bobby Kotick.

Whatever you thought was left of Blizzard, the Blizzard you knew and loved, is long gone.
>>
>>333456001
>20k
oh boy, the armchair economist has spoken
>>
>>333454926

That's a months-old image; 100g was going for around $12 until today's events.
>>
>>333456787
>I_have_missed_the_point.tga
>>
>>333448128

Your whole post is made invalid just by the existence of all these vanilla servers. It's not "Nostalgia" when there were multiple Nost guilds ready and equipped to take on AQ.
>>
File: WoW duckface selfie cam.jpg (207 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
WoW duckface selfie cam.jpg
207 KB, 1440x900
>>333440701
You couldn't even let me visit the grave anymore, could you Blizzard? God damn you.
>>
>>333448895

That would be pretty cool, but I don't think it will ever happen. Starcraft just isn't that big anymore. Blizzard wasn't prepared for the behemoth that is the MOBA genre to show up out of nowhere and butt fuck their classic game into irrelevancy.
>>
File: 1410393360602.gif (3 MB, 280x358) Image search: [Google]
1410393360602.gif
3 MB, 280x358
>>333456961
there are people who are eating shit right now. you might say there's a market for shit-eaters. doesn't mean it's profitable to cater to them.
>>
Guys, I got kripp to talk about Nostalrius on his stream.
>>
>>333456715
>$300,000 a month is nothing

20k subs at blizzard pays for multiple employees
>>
File: 143879890410.jpg (12 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
143879890410.jpg
12 KB, 400x400
>>333457020
>>
>>333443105

Nigger the server had 12,000 online at peak hours. It was actually kind of annoying how populated it was.
>>
>>333457020
Jesus christ I'm glad I wasn't around for that shit.

Is this all the "new content" modern WoW players argue for?
>>
>>333456250
did you reply to the correct post?
what the fuck are you smoking?
>>
>>333457152
>all the work involved setting up vanilla servers doesn't exist and there are no costs associated
>>
>>333457442
its a single "on use" item you fucking genwunner autist
>>
>>333457442

Meme selfies, twitter integration, and AFKing in Garrisons are all how they pass time with no major content patches to keep them busy.
>>
>>333444420

>to retail even now

Which somehow is even more of a fucking ghost town despite having numerically more.
>>
>>333457551
>all the work
can be taken straight from nost, that is if you believe a company like Blizzard wouldnt actually keep a backup
>costs
a server isnt 300k a month
>>
>>333457442
Yes, the selfie camera was a content patch. Anyone still giving money to Blizzard to play retail should be ashamed.
>>
>All these people who STILL dont understand that the fucking server admins were banking money off chink gold farmers

You guys are worst then SJWs defending Dindu's.
>>
>>333444420
bro 5k on a retail realm was fucking packed you're a retard
>>
>>333457858

>were banking money off chink gold farmers

How is that different from normal WoW?
>>
>>333457758
Literally no one does if you know how to make money.
>>
>>333458000
Its not even the point.
>>
>>333457152
do you honestly believe that 100% of those people would become sub-paying customers, paying a monthly fee in exchange for static, unchanging vanilla 1.0 content (for more than a few months).

be honest now. a majority are just freeloaders who settled for the free option.
>>
>>333458036
who the fuck is buying all those tokens from the store
>>
>>333458102
>100%
nobody said this
>majority
proof?
>>
>>333457020
I had successfully forgotten about the selfie cam for a few months. Fuck you for reminding me about it.
>>
>>333457645
>a server isnt 300k a month
there's that economist speaking again
>>
>>333453064
>>333453290
Both these are wrong. Proper illegal server hosting needs to be done in Ukraine. Russia had to go and fuck it up by being a douche to Ukraine, but Ukraine is known to not give any fucks at all when the US calls about piracy.
>>
>>333458102
Even if only 10% of the people who play on the server resub it's still money for Blizzard
>>
>>333458334
blizzard already has the infrastructure and doesn't seem to mind hosting dozens of dead realms
>>
>>333458173
>100%
YOU said this, in your calculations>>333456001
>Guess what, if 20k people
>>333457152
>20k subs at blizzard pays for multiple employees

>proof?
i think the proof is up to you to provide. firstly that 20k players would pay and secondly, that it would be worth anyone's time to cater to them.

you fucking retard
>>
>>333440701
When did they said that?
>>
>>333440701
they were right

why the fuck would you want classic servers. they don't move forward. there will be no new content. previous content will forever be invalidated and Naxx will forever be the current raid content. this kind of shit can't go on for years.
>>
>>333458172
Spooky ghosts.
>>
>>333458036
>tokens are literally more than double the price in EU than NA
What the hell is going on with the price of those things, seriously.
>>
>>333456332
I do the same thing every day in multiple ways. Repetition is comforting and human nature. Thats why nostalgia exists, you crave repetition. Its not like were trying to force all WoW players to only play Vanilla
>>
File: ss+(2016-04-01+at+10.25.22).jpg (34 KB, 349x347) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-04-01+at+10.25.22).jpg
34 KB, 349x347
>playing a mmo alone

yeah. thats pretty autist.
>>
Holy shit, I just heard nost is shutting down. So glad I sold my account a year ago.
>>
>>333458792
They could do progression servers, pretty sure EQ does that.

And doesn't Runescape still have an old version of the game that they add new content to without changing the mechanics and shit?
>>
>Mods on /vg/ are now deleting all /nosg/ threads even though the server is still up
You have to be shitting me
>>
>>333458558
dead wod servers, not vanilla servers.
>>
>>333459175
Yes, OSRS keeps old game systems but adds new content

they dont make the new gear objectively better, or introduce super fast level boosts or anything, but they are adding stuff like new spells and whatnot
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBy8JDi-OqY&feature=youtu.be&t=30m23s
>>
>>333459250
>4chan mods are cucks

Gee who woulda thought.
>>
>>333459683
go to 30:23
>>
>>333453673
>all donated money went directly to the hosting company to cover hosting costs

are you sure about that? what if they got more donations that would cover the maintenance, perhaps the creators of Nost put their hands into the cookie jar one too many times and Blizz decided thats enough

i mean it would be tempting, nostalarius been incredibly popular for being the most wowlike server out there and was growing every month basically
>>
>Blizz actually think doing this will bring more subs to Legion.

top kek
>>
>>333459250

They're starting to delete these threads too.

Remember no talking about video games on /v/!
>>
https://www.change.org/p/michael-morhaime-legacy-server-among-world-of-warcraft-community?recruiter=522873458

Hit its target within a couple of hours.

But you need to be a single shitposter with a vagina and make complaints about "problematic" things to get them to listen apparently.
>>
>>333460392
kek fuck blizz
>>
Thhe real reason Blizz shut the server down:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR20QH5UHoM
>>
>>333456021
Good lord.

>Active Accounts:
>130,000
>Global played time:
>54 centuries

Obviously not retail numbers, but for one year (if these stats are legit), that's fucking ridiculous for a private server.
>>
>>333456667
And let's not forget TenCent was the primary financial backer for Activision during the take over.
>>
>>333461010
It was up to 150,000 active as of last week
>>
File: blinds.jpg (64 KB, 1230x917) Image search: [Google]
blinds.jpg
64 KB, 1230x917
>>333459784
>>333459683

>I will now dictate what you want
>>
>>333456021
>more than 10 AV's open during the weekend

BUT MUH NOSTALGIA ARGUMENT
>>
>>333451707
>Waiting on Nost source code to be released.

They aren't releasing it
>>
>>333461247
Shame, even if we consider a strong number of them were gold farmers (I didn't play it so I don't wanna throw a percentage out there), that's still impressive as fuck.

Ah well, I don't nostalgia anymore. But it's interesting to witness the divide this is causing.
>>
>>333451707
>particularly interested in doing a singleplayer run of WoW since I don't have the time/internet for raiding.

Yeah I was going to go for a solo questing thing and just relive all the old quests.

But they aren't releasing the server code, anon. They already said they never would.
>>
>>333461642
? yes they are
>>
>>333461816

Where did they say that?

Last time they were asked, they gave a never ever response.
>>
>>333461719
it's literally in the announcement today that they're releasing source code.
>>
>>333461897

I wonder if it'll be user friendly like some of the other big public private servers, or if it'll be a server tech only level complexity.
>>
>>333460921
Its not even real Blizzard anymore. Just Actiblizzard now.
>>
I love how after all these years Blizzard still make the same mistakes

If this was Valve they would have hired the guys making Nost, not shut the server down. Make them set up a sub cost to play on it, make it 'official', pay them peanuts to maintain it, get free money.

Instead they do the same stupid thing they do with every custom scene, they strange it to death.

Im pretty glad Blizzard never got the MOBA scene and Valve/Riot did. That must hurt every day to know they lost out on the biggest thing to happen to gaming since HL2.
>>
Today is also the day where Nostalrius will start being community-driven in the truest sense of the word, as we will be releasing the source code, and anonymized players data (encrypting personal account data), so the community as a whole will decide the form of the future of Nostalrius. We will still be there in the background if you want us to, but will no longer take the lead.

from the nostalrius shutdown notice
>>
>>333461979
Blizzards ability to fuck up is absolutely astounding.

A shit ton of people have moved to Kronos, myself included.
>>
>>333460921
That forum poster wasn't wrong though.
Neo-Blizzard will likely never make Vanilla servers. They get butthurt as fuck if anyone brings them up.
>>
>>333443078
t. millenial hipster
>>
>>333440701
>i'm a moron that can't find other servers

http://www.wowstatus.net/~wowstatus/serverlist/standard
>>
>>333462114
I refuse to move to Kronos on the grounds of that one faggot who keep spamming Nost threads saying it was shit and Kronos was the best for no justifiable reason.
>>
>>333461816
>>333461897

It won't happen. You seriously think Blizzard is going to not sue their asses to hell if they "throw away the murder weapon" in regards to this case?

They're not going to break copyright law, then as part of being taken down give away the thing they were breaking the law with.
>>
>>333447528
Can it be a true martys for all of us?.. one must fall for others to truly rise?
>>
>>333440701

Reminder that this is what the nu-WoW team thinks of you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuOYmqSF6OQ
>>
>>333462303
It runs better for me. Just try it.

All it takes is a simple text change. It doesn't lag like Nost did.
>>
>>333462337
The source code for older WoW versions is common as all hell, Blizzard wont take these sorts of things to court.

A threatening lawyer notice was all that was needed
>>
>>333448895
Sorry to tell you this bud....but after six years of A team development and the reason for WoW's decline to shit..Titan itself is scrapped, its remains reanimated to make a TF2 teambattle clone with assets all from a nearly completed game.
>>
>>333461979
If only Valve would actually put resources into said games instead of experimental technology.
>>
>>333462434
I fucking hope so. The opensource servers that were being worked on (silverpine, westfall, wow emu whatever it was called) pretty much are dead in their tracks.

A server of Nost level bugfixes and actual working quest content should bring in new servers that will bring the standard vanilla servers up to par.
>>
>>333462257
grats you found a bunch of servers with 50 people, asshole gms and payed services

>>333462303
wait and see what the big guilds do
>>
>>333462505
Every time I watch it I feel like I'm in some mega government domination novel or some shit.

>We want this.
>NO YOU DON'T!

Though honestly, someone point me to a bug during vanilla that would cause that kind of response. Looked like he was reaching there.
>>
>>333462669
At least they dont choke custom scenes

God was SC2 shit.
>>
>Playing Vanilla
Disgusting. It's like opening up a time capsule with shit in it
>>
>>333462902
Didn't they implement paid services for custom games in Dota 2?
>>
>>333462883
This kind of thing is nothing new from Activision though. They've always treated their playerbases like retards that don't know what they want.
Hopefully Legion flops. They deserve it for treating their loyal fans like shit.
>>
>>333462961
You can play any custom game for free, but also pay $1 'subscriptions' to get bonus features in those custom games.

Its dodgy as fuck, obviously
>>
>>333442659

IMO it's not about if blizzard is in the right or not, it's not about the intellectual property or who is "stealing" from who.

Let's put it this way. You're a young kid with a ball, it's a good ball and you like it, as do other kids. However eventaully you decide to move onto new toys and leave the ball behind, onto bigger and better things.

Later you look back and see a new kid using your old discarded ball having fun with other kids, and decide out of pure jealousy and spite that not only do you want your old ball back, but you infact dont even want to play with it, you simply just dont want other's to enjoy it in your absence, because it's yours.

now by all means you have the right to stop this from happening. Technically it's your ball and as such it's yours to do whatever you feel like with, including poke holes in it so that no one ever plays with it again.

But that doesn't change the fact that, though it's in your rights, you're still a fucking cocksucker. a little, ball licking, cocksucker.
>>
File: tmp_1440489575666-1350394993.jpg (131 KB, 525x809) Image search: [Google]
tmp_1440489575666-1350394993.jpg
131 KB, 525x809
>>333462257

>"Blizzlike"
>20x
>>
>>333463363
Its embarrassing though isn't it?
A big company like Blizzard got so triggered that people like Vanilla better than WoD that they felt the need to go through all the trouble of killing off Nost.
You're right man, fuck Blizzard. They're a bunch of manchildren.
>>
>>333463013
Ah well. It's a damned shame that after all these years, all the official forums and MMO-C shit posting, the game has remained just as opinionated about this kind of shit as always. While Blizz has every right to take action, I'd like to think they can't ignore the precedence that Nost has set. Who am I kidding, everyone left in that company are yes men and morons who like the smell of their own shit.

Divided we stand, together we'll fall.
>>
>>333463594
12x and up servers are terrible. You will get to level 40 with no gold, no gear (sometimes literally still using those starter greys) and unable to fight mobs even 10 levels below you effectively (unless your a caster, but you will be drinking after 2 casts). You will be stuck doing deadmines and Wailing caverns very slowly to just get some kind of gear to use.
>>
>>333463363
>Later you start a business where kids can play with new toys you've made for a fee
>You look back and see some guy is letting kids play with your old ball for free while some shady chink on the side sells them candy at a 1000% upcharge
>Take your ball and say that it's not right to use your property without proper consent, and that their philanthropy is losing you potential customers
>All the kids egg your house and call you a cock jockey because you're trying to earn an honest living
ftfy m8
>>
>>333440701
"We always do the opposite of something we said a few years ago" -Blizzard
>>
>Blizzard is known for shutting down private servers since forever
>People are shocked Nostalrious went down like the rest of them
I don't understand how people are shocked by this. It's like thinking Nintendo won't take down fan projects.
>>
>>333463790
Actually I lied. You can also level up with classes that have pets, or a rogue that has to pop all his cooldowns and stunlocks
>>
>>333463790
I felt 2x was a nice balance. Let's you skip some of those shitty low drop rate quests or the fedex "run an entire continents worth back and forth" questlines.
>>
>>333463363
your analogy is shit, as are your assumptions
also this
>out of pure jealousy and spite
jesus tittyfucking christ. you're pathetic
>>
File: 1455678394556.jpg (93 KB, 585x675) Image search: [Google]
1455678394556.jpg
93 KB, 585x675
Ok, lets just say blizzard actually greenlights a vanilla/TBC server.

How will they fuck it up?
>>
>>333463714

It just sucks, I've put 10 years of faith in blizz, telling myself "they're the company that made WC3, that made SC, that made Vanilla, they started from a basement with a few friends, some nerdy dudes and a love for gaming, and turned out the best MMORPG ever. " I believed in blizz, even after the switch to Activision, i currently have 5 100's, and was full on planning on buying legion.

But then you see them do some shit like this, stomping on a server based on the love of THEIR OWN brain child, the very spirit of their own humble bebeginnings, just people coming together for the love of a game, true by-gamers-for-gamers shit.

the issue isnt "oh hey these guys are just freeloading because this server doesnt charge for subs, it's pride and unwillingness to accept the reality of their own actions in fucking up the game
>>
>>333464097
Who cares.
I'm done with Blizzard. They fucked up bad this time and there is nothing they can do to make up for it.
>>
>>333464097
1.12 with Cata redesigns.
>>
>>333463828
Except those kids won't ever want to play with your more recent balls. That's your old ball they love and they've no way to play with it and you won't let them even though you don't use it and don't make profit with it.
>>
>mfw seeing this news
thank the light, fuck the nost kiddies spamming their shitty server every where
>>
>>333464097
make it a seperate sub thats 5 bucks,
they let you boost to w/e the end game level is,
and 40 mans are gone, and they change them all to 25 mans and 10 mans, and make heroics out of every dungeon
>>
>>333464097
>Full price sub even though you won't be getting the "promise of future updates/content"
>Probably still comes with a box price
>Its very own cash shop
>LFR added after the retard community cries, just like OSRS added the Grand Exchange later
>>
Vanilla WoW is dead. Bury it. Consider it mercy.
>>
>>333440701
Blizzard is butthurt they cant make WoW great anymore
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 74

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.