[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Honestly, I think it's really sad that RPGs essentially
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 9
>Honestly, I think it's really sad that RPGs essentially get a pass on having fundamentally junk core gameplay. And yes, I do consider combat to be a core gameplay element of most RPGs.

>An awesome game with a crappy ruleset would be a better game if it had a better ruleset. Again, why grit your teeth and accept fundamentally dumb systems and their dumb adaptations into different media when such things clearly could be designed and executed better?

>Project Eternity will take the central hero, memorable companions and the epic exploration of Baldur’s Gate, add in the fun, intense combat and dungeon diving of Icewind Dale, and tie it all together with the emotional writing and mature thematic exploration of Planescape: Torment.

Did they deliver? Did Josh make a good RPG system?
>>
Faggot: The Game.
>>
>>333433471
what does that mean
>>
What is with all the threads about this hot garbage lately? I thought it was decided to be painfully average months ago when it released?
>>
File: 1438284044573.jpg (143 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
1438284044573.jpg
143 KB, 1280x853
>instead of making a functional stat system he made an abomination where almost all classes pump up same 3 stats with all mages forced to be muscle mages if they actually want to do damage
>all skills are "balanced" to the point you don't chose the good ones, you chose the ones that suck less
>completely misunderstood the point of vancian casting resulting in mages being limited by 4 slot spellbook, 90% of spells being an irredeemable garbage AND all his abilities being on per rest basis
>melee classes are hilariously boring as well, the only fun one (monk) requires a ton of babysitting to not die constantly on PotD if you actually want to stack wounds
>retarded limitations left and right like 1 trap per character with traps sucking major ass or engagements, meaning there's no actual freedom of tactics and movement on battlefield
>game is still hilariously easy to break
Sawyer is an insane person who should be kept far away from balancing any fantasy rpg.
>>
I might be in the minority here but I thought PoE was a pretty good game. Especially with the expansions.
>>
>>333433207
>Project Eternity will take the central hero, memorable companions and the epic exploration of Baldur’s Gate, add in the fun, intense combat and dungeon diving of Icewind Dale, and tie it all together with the emotional writing and mature thematic exploration of Planescape: Torment.

Did someone really write that? A very bold statement indeed. They kinda "failed" to follow through. There were a lot of good things in this game but sadly some of them resulted into shortcomings.

The balancing is bad in regards to combat, 2 of the companion storys I beat were very interesting in the beginning but disappointing in the end just like the stronghold dungeon was. I still haven't beaten it yet completely but done most stuff so far.

It's a good game but it isn't one of the best games.
>>
>>333435323
It's from the kickstarter campaign. It's still up there and you can see it for yourself.
>>
File: costanza_shrug.gif (913 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
costanza_shrug.gif
913 KB, 500x375
>I don't like it so it's junk
>>
File: that asshole.png (18 KB, 300x309) Image search: [Google]
that asshole.png
18 KB, 300x309
I gave up on the game when the patch ruined my firing squad, that chanter nerf was too brutal, all because Josh Sawyer can't handle fun party ideas.
>>
File: CJ2QVG9l.jpg (55 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
CJ2QVG9l.jpg
55 KB, 512x512
>>333435617
>that cold dead face
>>
File: 477383.jpg (557 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
477383.jpg
557 KB, 1920x1080
>>333435323
I'd say one big plus over the other games (even though I have only played Icewind Dale yet) and over games nowadays is the artwork of Pillars of Eternity and the landscapes and stuff. It looks all very very good and the people involved in this should defiantly do more video game art. They did some amazing level of detail in every map. It was a feast for the eyes. It really helped keep the immersion and makes you feel like you are in this world and everything is alive.
>>
>>333435151
to be fair D&D didn't get the point of vancian casting either when they made a single spell in some cases more powerful than an entire class
>>
File: 1459927393545.jpg (149 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
1459927393545.jpg
149 KB, 512x512
>>333435760
How you want your balance senpai?
>>
Sawyer thinks he can engineer a good game with studies about "fun gameplay systems", attempting perfect balancing and design studies but he lacks a creative vision and despite his dissection of classics he doesn't get what made them beloved by players despite all those flaws so everything he will ever produce will just be mundane, boring trash. Just like PoE.
>>
>>333437040
Fallout New Vegas was great.
>>
>>333435151
>>333435873
The point of Vancian casting is that it sucks and no one should use it.
>>
>>333433207
The problem with PoE as a game was that spells were almost universally a shittier version of spells that already existed in D&D, classes, ESPECIALLY the melee classes, didn't get that many interesting abilities but got enough so that it was tedious RTwP pause spam to make proper use of them, and that the games they were holding up as paragons of encounter design weren't that great at it.
>>
>>333437781
BG2 had good encounter design imo
>>
So now that Chris Avellone, does Obsidian have a future?
>>
>>333437125
No it wasn't
>>
>>333437984
"Human Kickstarter Goal" is overrated
>>
>>333438034
>>333438045
Not a fan of these memes desu lads.
>>
>>333437903
BG2 has decent encounter design when it's not flooding you with boring trash fights and some of the better boss fights in the genre.

Honestly, if I was pointing at any game to take encounter design notes from, it'd be Divinity: Original Sin, especially after Tactician mode was added. Larian did an extremely good job with encounter design for most of Cyseal.
>>
File: 1454094488395.jpg (130 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1454094488395.jpg
130 KB, 1024x768
>>333438410
It's true though. Avellone's opinion means nothing because he's too nice and all these games he apparently works on involve him writing one character backstory or something like that.

>>333438493
I enjoyed encounters in both games. Although enemies throwing grenades on the first turn in Tactician mode got old pretty quick.
>>
>>333438693
Avellone must be a fun guy to work with, Obsidian must have really fucked with him to make him leave.
>>
>>333438693
He`s doing a decent amount of writing for that new Larian game, might be fun, maybe his writing won`t even be rewritten this time.
>>
>>333438830
We'll never know because he's too nice to tell.
>>
>>333435109
>hot garbage
>average
>>
File: me at any party.jpg (42 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
me at any party.jpg
42 KB, 600x450
>>333433207

Nigga I play WoD and Shadowrun, you think I give a fuck about how good a ruleset is if i like the roleplaying?

>mfw rollplayers
>>
>>333438830
Considering the last characters he wrote for Obsidian are a deeply misogynistic priest(hurr buzzword) who constantly refers to his deity as his whore and a woman who lost her child and became basically a catatonic mind/soul reader who communicates only with the player and only through telepathy. And that's only what actually made it into the game. He said in an interview a couple months ago that most of what he wrote for those characters was "too much" and had to be toned down a lot. So we can only imagine what really happened at Obsidian. Avellone may be an edgy fuck, but it's the kind of edge that i like.

>>333439030
The industry is way too incestuous for anyone, who hopes to ever work in it again, actually spill the beans.
>>
>>333433207

I only started playing it recently, so I don't know how the combat was before all the patches changed everything, but I find the combat pretty engaging and tactical.
>>
>>333441678
The combat has always been ok. A small group of people have hated this game since even before it came out and they still create these threads almost daily.
>>
>>333439674
>Avellone may be an edgy fuck, but it's the kind of edge that i like.
Better edgy than bland.

>>333441678
>>333442237
I played the game close to release, and back then the combat consisted in sending your tank forward and everyone else in the back mindlessly nuking.
The engagement system, the encounter design and the AI were (are?) dogshit. It felt like a turn-based system hastily translated to real-time, which is what the infinity engine games did, yet somehow those ended up being better.
>>
>>333433207

is this garbage turn based yet?
>>
>>333443421
You can set the game to auto pause whenever an action has ended, which basically results in a turn based game.
>>
>>333439674
I didn't think Fallout 1 and 2 were very edgy.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.