[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So level with me, /v/- what can this game do for me that Dwarf
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8
File: sv.jpg (187 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
sv.jpg
187 KB, 600x800
So level with me, /v/- what can this game do for me that Dwarf Fortress can't, besides look prettier?
>>
be good
>>
>>333425478
First post best post as usual
>>
File: bgui.jpg (32 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
bgui.jpg
32 KB, 300x300
>>333425478
...care to elaborate?
>>
>>333425401
But dorf fort is not harvest moon game...
>>
>>333427004

Alright, then what does Harvest Moon do that Dwarf Fortress doesn't?
>>
It's a completely different game from DF.

You might as well ask what does Call of Duty do that Dwarf Fortress doesn't.
>>
>>333425401

You can play it without being an autistic faggot
>>
File: oh.jpg (366 KB, 1286x1080) Image search: [Google]
oh.jpg
366 KB, 1286x1080
>>333425401
The game will suck you in with its simplistic structure. You will be overwhelmed with the amount of things you can do but usually the bests course of action is taking your time. You can do most "things" in the game by the end of the second year but the game is more about finding your own pace than trying to rush the game.

The game lets you level up and specialize but you're never punished for doing activities outside your specialty. The game lacks mostly in an end-game, since most end-game things are one-time achievements like reaching the bottom of the caves, getting children, completing your collections, completing the community center.

While the game is moddable, the mods available lack in creativity, whether they are just "better drawn" portraits or simplistic changes that make the game easier, but not necessarily better.

While you will get sucked in and find yourself playing for upwards to 50 to 60 hours, especially if you liked older Harvest Moon games, you'll find yourself bounding over challenges much quicker than you would expect, especially if you have guides available. That said, there is something charming about the game, the simplistic graphics, and some of the marriage candidates will fill a niche or two.

Aside from that, there have been a slow stream of updates (it's all made by one dude) and the last few updates involved changing spouse dialogue to be more unique, which was a change that a lot of people wanted after they felt marriage felt generic no matter who you marry.

Expect the game to take up a large amount of time, but if you're hesitant, it may be worth it to catch it later down the road, on sale, after several other updates.

Picture unrelated.
>>
>>333428028
I love how fans of meme games try their hardest to sound like the game is interesting by using the vaguest buzz words and phrases.

Explaining themselves ends up becoming pic related.
>>
>>333427351
Isn't it obvious?

WAIFUS
>>
>>333428028

Thing is, any time I see anybody complimenting the game, it usually boils down to several descriptions:

>You can farm!
Yeah, you can do that in DF, too.
>You can craft!
DF, again.
>You can talk with people!
...Fair point, I guess.
>You can mine!
Oh fuck off.
>There's... kind of a combat system, not a very good one, but it's there
Fair point, but meh.

I just don't know if I want to dump $15 on a game that gives me only marginally more features than one I got for free.
>>
>>333428564
Please elaborate on what was "vague" in this guy's post
>>333428564

Maybe you're just stupid, honestly.
>>
>>333428990
I think it's more about recapturing Harvest Moon, and being more customizable, rather than being unique or new. There are many games that do things it does better, especially if you've played Rune Factory, but I also feel that if I can invest that much time in it, it must have done something right?

That said, I don't have the patience for Dwarf Fortress because I'm a huge idiot who can't focus on it. When you get down to it, a lot of Stardew Valley is shallow, especially in a lot of interactions and what you can do.

I feel like you already know what kind of experience to expect, so I'd say wait until you find it on sale, to be honest. I haven't played a Harvest Moon game since the DS, so that's kind of the only reason I enjoy it so much?

That said, if you find yourself more immersed in Dwarf Fortress, I feel like you wouldn't be impressed with what Stardew Valley can do?

Graphics can only help so much.
>>
>>333428990
yeah you're right, why are we playing this game when there's farmville available for free?

it has farming too
>>
>>333429665
Wow, I said "that said" twice in one post. I've been drinking too much.
>>
>>333429778
And "I feel" three times

You are also a comma whore

>There are many games that do things it does better, especially if you've played Rune Factory, but I also feel that if I can invest that much time in it, it must have done something right?

should really be two sentences
>>
it's got much better farming.

But any given rune factory game will still beat stardew valley overall. It's a good game, don't get me wrong, but it's just not polished, that's not the fault of the dev, it's just something that comes with time.
>>
>>333425401

Comparing this to dwarf fortress is your first mistake.

This is a fine game, but it won't scratch any of the itch that dwarf fortress does.
>>
>>333428990

>Trying to replace dwarf fortress with a HARVEST MOON clone

What the fuck are you on about, m8? These games aren't even remotely similar.
>>
File: SV.gif (127 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
SV.gif
127 KB, 1280x720
>>333425401
this
>>
>>333425401
You can actually do what you want for in Dwarf Fortress.
>>
>>333428990
It's on gog. pick it up for free.
>>
>>333428990
>>You can talk with people!
>...Fair point, I guess.

You haven't even played DF.
>>
File: 1214608164665.gif (246 KB, 289x424) Image search: [Google]
1214608164665.gif
246 KB, 289x424
>>333431309
Is that supposed to be impressive?
>>
>>333425401
It's a comfy little farming game. Fun time sink and it's cheap. Play it or don't it's up to you.
>>
>>333425401
>level with me
>Dwarf fortress

Ok. You have autism and no regard for aesthetics. Now fuck off.

Truly you dwarf fortress fags are the worst. Most of the time you're quiet which is fine but whenever you open your mouth, you're worse than all the other fanbases combined.
>>
>>333425401
Nothing
>>
>>333432201
Op hasn't played Dwarf Fortress, you're getting baited.
>>
>>333432201
Stop shitposting.
>>
File: Not Now My Son.gif (1 MB, 375x210) Image search: [Google]
Not Now My Son.gif
1 MB, 375x210
>>333431309
God fucking damn it. Sauce me anon.
>>
>>333431974
...where was there relationship-building in DF? I was under the impression that happened rather randomly between your dwarves.

And as far as building rapport through regular conversation went, the only time you talked directly in conversation with anyone was through trade caravans.
>>
>>333432330
jbuttsart on tumblr
>>
>>333432403
>he doesn't do adventure mode
>>
>>333432416
danka-phampai
>>
>>333432403
There's this thing called 'Adventure Mode', you'd know about it if you'd played DF.
>>
>>333432583
It's been a while since I've played, and apparently the last upddate added a bunch of emotional shit to adventure mode but you don't really build relationships in adventure mode beyond
>kill THING
>we like you go talk to the lord
>lord tells you to kill BIG THING
>We love you, good job.
And 90% of people just have the same generic stock phrases.
>>
>>333432921
>he doesn't enjoy dicking around in the woods with his friends and killing random shit to collect bones
>>
>>333433124
>>he doesn't enjoy dicking around in the woods with his friends and killing random shit to collect bones
That you can do nothing with unless your plaing Masterwork and even then those are inferior to metal armor you get from forts.
>>
>>333427351

Can you tame monsters and use them in battle in DF?

Genuinely curious.
>>
>>333433243
>masterwork
Why?
>>
>>333433307
I enjoy the extra content and races? The same reason you would bother with any other mod?
>>
>>333433253

Actually, yes. That is exactly something you can do. And to a variety of creatures, no less, assuming you chose a wild-enough biome for them to be present.
>>
>>333433253
In Dwarf Mode yes, but only certain kinds that are defined by your Civilization iirc. You can tame them, but you can't get your dwarves to actually mount anything.

You can't do anything aproaching that in adventure mode either.

Enemy Units/Invaders do use mounts on occasion.
>>
>>333433445
But it's shit.
>>
>>333433691
>add's more magic, creatures, playable races, weapons, armors, metals, etc.
>makes some disciplines actually useful
>fully customizable
If you don't like the nature of the content/high fantasy feel of it, that's fine. But it's hardly shitty.
>>
trading one autism simulator for another, huh?
>>
>>333433905
>wanting High fantasy to a mundane ass Dwarf Fortress
>>
>>333425401
I guess if you can actually play DF well, it has more than this game.
Except relationships. Therefore, you're a faggot.
>>
>>333432201
>calls him autistic
>shitposting
Hypocrisy at its finest, faggot.
>>
>>333434047
>devolves into obvious shitposting
that's /v/ for the other guy won.
>>
>>333434667
>devolves
No? Dwarf Fortress works better if you get the cmd mod (can't remember the name of) which lets you do shit that's coming out in the next yearish.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.