[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't people consider Hearstone a real E-sport?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5
File: docter 9-11.png (410 KB, 400x595) Image search: [Google]
docter 9-11.png
410 KB, 400x595
why do people think heartstone is a joke?
all cardgames have randomness in them, and even dota has alot of RNG stats in it, like crit and dodge chance. So why don't people like the heartstones as an E-sport?

P.S. extra spoiler

http://www.hearthcards.net/cards/285246a5.png
>>
Because the RNG is a feature of the game, unlike DOTA or CS:GO, where are RNG is really second to skill and teamplay.
>>
>>333423242
>why do people think hearthstone is a joke?
Angsty bitter virgins who've never won a poker tournament.
>>
People do consider hearthstone a real e-sport that is why it is a constant top3 on twitch and the prize pool for winning at blizzcon is super lucrative.

it's just /v/ who don't know shit about esports because they are the biggest keks in video games
>>
File: TheDab.png (450 KB, 540x764) Image search: [Google]
TheDab.png
450 KB, 540x764
>>333423242
>>
>>333423242
I think it's a joke because of the nature of the rng present and the fact that it's strictly worse than MTG in nearly every way I can imagine. I'd rather even play Duelyst I think.
>>
Faeria bros ww@?
>>
>>333423242
>why do people think heartstone is a joke?

several reasons.
first: RNG. other games have RNG too, but hearthstone is on a whole different level. it's closer to poker than to other esports.

second: gameplay. there is zero execution, zero mechanical skill. it's all about preparation, knowledge and metagame.
>>
>>333423831
Giving extra mana every turn makes it less RNG heavy than MTG in some ways. Not drawing enough lands or drawing too many lands can feel just as shite as getting hit by the perfect bomber.
>>
File: 1430348280794.jpg (87 KB, 622x620) Image search: [Google]
1430348280794.jpg
87 KB, 622x620
The truth about any sport whatsoever isn't the skill needed to play it. If so, then the world Go tournament would have several million dollar payouts. It isn't even the physicality of the sport or wrestling wouldn't have been taken out of the Olympics.

It's all about how many people watch it and therefore how much revenue it generates. Hearthstone generates a ton of revenue and the "competitive" scene aids in generating that revenue. Therefore it is a sport or e-sport.
>>
>>333424248
You have control over how many land you include, you don't have control over all the random ass cards. "target random monster" "use random secret"
>>
>>333424461
minor correction, wrestling was re-instated for the 2020 olympics but the fact that it was on the chopping block at all still supports the statement
>>
It's just a dumbed down mtg, people hate it for the random factor which is only truly crippling in the way you obtain cards
>>
>>333423242
>video game
>sport

What is this, Korea?
>>
personally I can't stand the game because all the card effects are way too simplistic, the entire game is way too watered down compared to MtG
>>
>>333423242
Because Hearthstone has got to be one of the most luck dependent card games compared to shit like YuGiOh or Magick. The mechanics are also fucking shallow where you're just waiting out mana and summoning
>>
>>333424934
>Hearthstone
>Magick
>more luck dependent than YGO
no it's not and you have no idea what you're talking about
>>
>>333423242
>>333423708

bingo isn't a sport, the lottery isn't a sport
>>
>>333425256
Poker is :^)
>>
>>333425049
Nice (lack of) argument, faggot
>>
Hearthstone fails competitively due to heavy emphasis on rng, and it only gets worse with each new expansion.

Hearthstone fails as a casual fun game due to the fact that there is a meta that rarely evolves unless new cards are released or one of the favored decks gets nerfed (which happens frequently) and these meta cards are locked behind either a large grind or a paywall. Leaving new players at a large disadvantage when first starting.

MTG's large library and less focus on RNG makes it so you can buy a $20 starter pack and have fun with friends or shovel out the big bucks and give tournaments a try and it excels quite well at both.
>>
>>333425316
YGO is incredibly reliant on the initial draw. Many games end in the first two to three turns. Both Peformapals and Kozmo can basically shut the opponent out from doing anything once they get the engine rolling.

Not only that but YGO has an insanely more cancerous way of dealing with rotation. Is it a good card in one meta? It gets banned as soon as the new sets come in and it has infinitely more powercreep.

Also it's called Magic.
>>
>>333425367
you can start out Heartstone and just unlock the class cards for free. then play against your friends too. And comparing it to MTG... modern decks also mainly stay the same depending on the meta and until they ban a new OP card... and to play in any MTG tournament you also have to spent like hundreds of dollars.
>>
>>333425049
>RNG in other card games
>you draw poorly
>RNG in Hearthstone
>you draw poorly
>their random effect gives them a massive advantage
>your random effect gives you a massive disadvantage, sometimes even straight losing you the game on a dice roll (doomsayer off shredder, boombots plain losing you the game, Dormo off any "random legendary" effect)

I fully expect your counter argument to showcase one of the many RNG cards in other games that literally no one plays outside of gimmick decks.
Shit, even Pokemon is less RNG than HS. The game where having a coin on you is actually part of the rules. Why? Because the cards with RNG effects aren't strictly better than other cards and mandate you running them. No one runs RNG in the meta. Any meta outside of HS.
>>
>>333425367
Also, isn't one of the most popular MTG formats EDH?
Isn't that also RNG heavy as shit? 100 cards? playing vs 4 other people at the table.
Don't get me wrong, i love magic. But saying it's superior than Heartstone cos of those reasons...
In the end it's the same to me as comparing LOL to DOTA. they are both fun MOBA's.
One is more accesible to a broader audiance, the other has a higher skill cap..
but they are both enjoyable games and both E-sports.
And you shouldn't have to defend yourself for preferring one over the other.
>>
>>333426056
Land screw/flood introduces as much RNG into MTG as the random cards that are used competitively in Hearthstone.

There are players that have consistently had around 70% WRs in legend and when you compare that to winrates of hall of famers in MODO, in formats ranging from legacy to standard, it doesn't deviate that far from around 65%
>>
>>333426518
Thats a really good point.
I applaud you good sir.
>>
File: worldcaller.png (345 KB, 400x573) Image search: [Google]
worldcaller.png
345 KB, 400x573
r8 my card.
>>
>>333426973
2/10
too good for agro decks on servers
>>
>>333427176
Agro needs a lot of help in the new set anyways.
>>
>>333423242
it could be taken more seriously if the competitive format more accurately reflected the statistics-based nature of performance

best of 3s or even 5s when you are forced to change decks after each win (or loss depending on format) is basically handing the outcome of the entire tourney to game-deciding RNG

another thing is that they keep inviting the same mediocre ecelebs to tournaments with few or no open bracket slots. and before you say that these players usually beat the open bracket players anyway, i'll remind you that tournaments have a different meta so there is a barrier to new competitors who aren't exercising deck picking/ordering strategies every week

in short, hs would be more respectable as an esport if A) the game itself supported tournament format play and it's really stupid that it doesn't, B) there was an official league (without monthly reset) to determine who is actually deserving of invites to tournaments, C) the tournament format should be overhauled, with more consideration given to things like sideboarding, and D) the big tournaments should also include a limited portion (with necessary balance changes made to drafting) to test the players' deckbuilding skill. watching netdeckers play netdecks all the time is fucking boring and doesn't demonstrate that they have the wits to succeed on their own
>>
File: 1458673386052.png (8 KB, 720x759) Image search: [Google]
1458673386052.png
8 KB, 720x759
Any tips on brann zoolock? I keep getting shit on. Any tips from golden players? What do I mulligan?
>>
>>333424248
Thing is, a good deck in MtG is largely about mitigating the only random aspect it has - drawing cards. Plentiful tutors and non-land mana boosters help a lot and a decent deck will perform well enough even in less than favorable conditions.
Meanwhile Hearthstone embraces the RNG and slaps "throw a die" on every other card.
>>
>>333428067

I just joined this thread and all I see is a whole lot of "NO U"
>>
>>333427806
stop playing memedecks
>>
>>333426518
Of course winrates are going to be much more inflated. They have to climb the ranks every month, completely demolishing retards and gimmick decks alike.
Whereas hall of famers are going to be going to high-tier tournaments constantly going to be matched much more evenly.

Even if the winrates aren't inflated, for your point to be valid you'd have to show that their losses were conclusively the fault of RNG.

Then at the end of the day the point isn't that other card games are absent of RNG, it's that HS has a /massive/ amount of it in comparison to them. There is no staple like Shredder in any other card. No one summons boombots.

If you're just making a case against lands then join the club. I've yet to talk to a single player who has spoken in favor of them. The system has many flaws and mana screw and flood are just two of them. That said, you at least have the control of running as many as you see fit and that's part of deck optimization. There's also a number of land tutors in every format.

Force of Will handles the whole mana system miles better but that's a bit off-topic.
>>
>>333428815
You can get to rank 5 really quickly in hearthstone because of bonuses for win streaks, and nowadays people already use tier 1 competitive decks from rank 15 and down.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.