[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm a few hours into Final Fantasy 6 and it's ok so
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: Dear Me.png (286 KB, 845x473) Image search: [Google]
Dear Me.png
286 KB, 845x473
I'm a few hours into Final Fantasy 6 and it's ok so far, but I'm finding the story and characters a bit too goofy. Like, the part where Cyan's family dies could have had much more emotional impact, but the dialogue makes it ridiculous. Struggling to see why people think this is the best in the series outside of nostalgia.

>sons corpse falls out of bed
>dear me
>>
the story and characters are shit.
>>
>>333406264
But the gameplay is fucking boring with everything being piss easy.
Then what's the good part about the game?
Other than the final ship's theme.
>>
>>333406426
Everyone else says it's good so I have to say it's good or they'll call me a fag.
>>
File: 31.jpg (44 KB, 369x276) Image search: [Google]
31.jpg
44 KB, 369x276
>>333406497
But Anon, you're already a fag!
>>
The only reason anyone thinks any of them are great is because of nostalgia.

If you think 7 (or any other) is well-written and emotionally/intellectually deep, you're a developmentally repressed manchild who has no taste because your basis for comparison is limited to other video games.

Try reading a fucking book. Jesus Christ.
>>
I feel the same way with chrono trigger. Nintendo fans hype this shit and everyone just agrees.
>>
>>333406638
Yeah, Muhammed is the most commonly used name on Earth.
>>
>>333406207
He's well spoken as fuck, what was his reaction supposed to be? This isn't Barrett.
>>
>>333407071
>GOD DAYUM MA SON GOT POPPED, SHIEEEEEET NIGGA
>>
Sandworm > Submariner
>>
>>333407071
Something with a bit more emotion, it's like he dropped a bowl of chips on the floor or something.
>>
>>333406207
>>333407674

Ted Woosley had like a month to translate the entire game for english release, all things considered it's not terrible, but if you want a more "updated" script you can play the GBA version.
>>
File: ff6_map-south_figaro.png (414 KB, 2650x1383) Image search: [Google]
ff6_map-south_figaro.png
414 KB, 2650x1383
FF6
>graphix
>best soundtrack in the series
>dynamic combat system with different playstyles for each of the characters
>well paced and well written story

Truly the king of JRPGs

Oh by the way, I only played it first three years ago so no it's not nostalgia.
>>
>>333406426
People have really low standards for JRPGs. That said I think the story is worth more credit than you're giving it. I remember being surprised at how much I was getting into it.
>>
I have tried to play these 'classic' jrpgs like FF7,FF6 too lately since I never played them as a child and just like the OP I really don't understand what makes them good. The dialogue is shit and could have been written by a 15 year old. The gameplay is extremely monotone and retarded, the only 'strategic' decision you make is to decide when to use the health potion. Literally every single modern western RPG has a better story and gameplay. The only good thing about these game is the music.
>>
>>333406207
I can see how you think it's 'silly' but I can also see how you're too immature to see that this actually a pretty appropriate response for a well educated king's retainer
>>
And once again /v/ proves that they hate video games and only enjoy being miserable. The only things you fucks like are Majora's Mask, God Hand and hentai games.
>>
>>333408937
Old JRPGs are just shit. You can't seriously believe they have engaging, tactical gameplay that isn't slow, repetitive and braindead as fuck.
>>
File: hIJv1qh87wbo1_1280.jpg (67 KB, 680x473) Image search: [Google]
hIJv1qh87wbo1_1280.jpg
67 KB, 680x473
>>333409063
Criticizing a turn-based RPG for being "slow" or having repeated battles is like criticizing first person shooters for having too many guns. You're not highlighting a flaw to the game, you're highlighting your lack of interest in them. If you don't like them, don't play them.
>>
>I played a 20 year old video game on an emulator along with my crippling jaded cynicism and depression yet somehow I couldn't manage to get the same experience. It must be the game's fault!
>>
>>333406207
He's in shock, dumbass.
>>
>>333409394
It's a valid complaint when the only reason they're slow is because they insist on bombarding you with constant encounters which are by and large completely pointless.
If these encounters were actually threatening or consumed significant amounts of resources, requiring the player to fight carefully to ensure they still have enough left to make it out of the dungeon/area/etc. safely, then I would see the appeal, but this almost never seems to be the case. They're always piss-easy but time consuming.

As it stands I think the majority of turn-based JRPGs could be significantly improved by severely increasing the difficulty of each encounter and severely decreasing the frequency.
>>
>>333408220
>FF6
>well-written

It's mush. The only interesting things in it are some of the characters' side stories.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.