[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Autismn aside, was Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 actually good games ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5
Autismn aside, was Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 actually good games ?
>>
>>333339107
In ways, yes. More so 2.
>>
>>333339107
Absolutely. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
>>
Objectively and on a technical level, no

Subjectively if you're a Sonic fan, yes.
>>
>>333339209
>less content then 1
>better
>>
>>333339107
They were fun and I liked playing them, but I cannot call them good games using any objective technical criteria. They're the definition of "fuck you I liked it" or the gaming equivalent of a cheesy B-movie that you know was badly made but you like watching it anyway.
>>
>>333339107
sa1 is fun but almost seems like more of a tech demo than a real game. sonic's linear stages were made first and the rest of the game is whatever they could fit in.

sa2 is great and the gamecube port made it even more solid.
>>
>SA1
Sonic stages were fun, the rest was OK
>SA2
way fucking better Chao garden, better speed stages, more polished non-speed stages but they still werent that fun
>>
>>333339641
Perhaps you forgot that 20% of SA1's "content" is fishing shit and spam B to win.
>>
>>333339641
>replaying shorter versions of the same levels with different characters is good content
>Defending Big's gameplay
>>
>>333339107
After replaying them last year, no.
>>
As someone who has tried to play them recently, they are definitely not great.

One has horrible physics, awful collision detection, bad voice acting, predictable story, repetitive levels, Amy and Big's entire stories, and the ports are godawful.

Two has an extremely autistic """ dark""" storyline, Shadow (although he's far better here than in future games), maybe worse voice acting than the first, some real stinker levels, and bad animations. The Steam version has a lot of glitches in the Chao Garden.

Both have decently fun gameplay, very good music, the bad voice acting and stories can be campy and funny before they start to get annoying.

There's plenty of bad, but the good shines through well enough. If you get the second one on Steam, definitely get the New Challengers mod.
>>
>was
> ?
I want all the foreign retards to leave. You don't space before punctuation.
>>
>>333339107
They were mediocre but enjoyable.
>>
>>333339107
SA1 had good music and the gameplay was solid, levels were comfy, story and cutscenes were terrible

SA2 is shit all round. Fucked treasure hunting, mech levels are somehow worse than SA1, too many same-y space levels, edgy 90s cool dude music. Fuck that game.
>>
I think 1 is probably the best 3D Sonic game, though I do feel the need to give a caveat that it's a janky as fuck game and a lot of my love is that it has charm due to how jank it is. Terrible analogy but I mean it's the difference between an old 60's christmas special that's still on TV today and those forgettable animated ones that you'll see pop up every now and again that are just boring trash.

Don't really have much love for 2. It looks better and when you're playing as Sonic it kinda is better but overall it just feels like one step forward and one step back, and it doesn't have the charm 1 did for me so all the problems feel like they matter more.
>>
>>333340043
SA2 is the only game where Shadow is good, unless you think his entire existence is bad.
>>
>>333341074
He should've stayed dead.
What was SEGA's reason for bringing him back again? I even played Sonic Heroes and I don't remember.
>>
fuck no
>>
>>333341265
>What was SEGA's reason for bringing him back again?
Fan popularity.
>>
>>333341352
I meant how they explained it canonically.
My mistake, I should've been more specific.
>>
>>333341603
>I meant how they explained it canonically.
Eggman's robots found him.

>but how did he survive re-entry
Probably the same way Sonic did in the dozen or so times he's fallen from space.
>>
>>333340043
>New Challangers

welp, time to replay SA2 and grind more Chaos, thanks anon

are there any other cool mods for SA2?
>>
>>333339107
I replay SA2B every year and it still holds up, don't let any speedfaggots tell you otherwise
>>
>>333339107
Just played SA2 against some friends today.

What a shitty game.
>>
>>333341961
Not really.
>>
File: sonic vs shadow ark.jpg (76 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
sonic vs shadow ark.jpg
76 KB, 1280x720
>>333339107
>The sound levels in this game

Warning; Accurate recreations of what the sound levels are in Sonic Adventure 2. You might want to lower your volume.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0HynWCNXLxc

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1SO8J0ZbGzs

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1nfczbAKDHe
>>
All things considered, I unironically like SA2's story. It was pretty much a standard Saturday morning boys' cartoon, which was great for Sonic.
>>
>>333342994
GC port didn't have this problem
>>
>>333343719

It was literally the GC port that caused these problems, you blatant liar. The only version of the game without the audio problems and cutscene camera falling apart is the original DreamCast version.
>>
>>333339107
Yeah
>>
>>333339107
The final boss of Sonic Adventure 2 I can say from the bottom of my heart that it's one of the best final bosses in video games, the music, the tension, the ticking clock, the barely audible but endearing dialog in the background, it's the best thing.

The rest of the game, both games as a matter of fact, are a fine line between mediocre and enjoyable, but leaning towards enjoyable if you can get past the amateur level design and the awful downgrades of SA2 like the spin dash and radar
>>
>>333343827
I haven't played the dreamcast version in like 10 years but I'm pretty sure the audio problems were already there.
>>
Pretty much every speed level in SA2 is great but I hate how the adventure games started the trend of Sonic's friends being entirely different in playstyle from Sonic. Knuckles in SA 2 controls great but his levels just aren't that fun, the mechs aren't fun at all.
>>
>>333343719
it's worse in the GC version
>>
>>333342994
>http://vocaroo.com/i/s1SO8J0ZbGzs
kek
>>
File: 1435778226281.jpg (55 KB, 480x387) Image search: [Google]
1435778226281.jpg
55 KB, 480x387
From a pure gameplay perspective, Sonic's gameplay in the Adventure games, not to mention the level layouts (for Adventure 1 specifically) were the closest SEGA have ever come to 'true' 3D Sonic gameplay. It was only let down by wonky camera, less-than-reliable physics on inclines, and the fact that they weren't the main focus of the game.

In an ideal world, Sonic Team would actually learn from their mistakes. People always spout the 'it's impossible to make Sonic good in 3D' meme, but ST have actually made all of the elements of a good 3D Sonic game before, just never all in the same package. Picture this
>The musical stylings, Sonic gameplay, emblems, Chao etc. from Sonic Adventure 1 and 2
>The engine/physics stability and camera of the boost trilogy
>The visuals, cutscenes and general audiovisual consistency of Unleashed
>The fanservice of Generations and Heroes
>If there are alternate characters, they go the Sonic 3 & Knuckles route of them having similar gameplay just with a few different paths and powers.
>The plethora of low-poly side levels like the Sonic Simulator in Colors
>Tube Special Stages like Sonic 2, Rush, Heroes etc.
GOTY 2016
>>
>>333344534

Using an Action Replay taught me that Sonic/Shadow/Knuckles/Rouge all play wonderfully, their gameplay is great. But the level designs and camera make them pretty awful.

Some of the best fun I had was playing as Knuckles in Sonic and Shadow's levels. (just don't try to grab any horizontal bar)
>>
Sonic Adventure 1 is a piece of shit and truly some of the worst gameplay ever. Anyone who says otherwise enjoys bad things, unquestionably. Quite literally EVERY single thing about it is bad or mediocre.

Now, SA2. Maybe you could pass that as a good game. But it has a shit ton of problems too - just less than the first.
>>
>>333339107
Fuck. Yeah.
>>
>>333339107
>Autismn
Is that a season?
>>
>>333339641
Less DIVERSE content. Probably as much or more actual content.
>>
>>333344896
Swap sa1 and sa2 and you've got yourself a post.
>>
something I like about adventure is that 2/3rds of the cast still have that "variant of sonic" thing going on.

I mean Amy and Knuckles are pretty drastic from sonic I'll admit, but they still ultimately feel like sonic more than they feel like tacked-on additions. And Tails is just straight up sonic with (broken as fuck due to level design) flying.

2 got away from that. Knuckles/Rouge still sorta have that thing going I guess but, I dunno maybe it's just the fact that they have separate levels compared to SA1 where all the levels are shared across characters, but they feel more distinct and not necessarily in a good way. Tails/Eggman are closer to Gamma from SA1 than anything else and he felt pretty far removed from traditional sonic in SA1 if you ask me.
>>
>>333344534
>Tube Special Stages like Sonic 2, Rush, Heroes etc.

fuck no I hate tube special stages and Heroes is probably the worst in that regard.

Either do something original (all the genesis games had their own systems and all of them, aside from tubes in my opinion, were great) or just say "fuck it" and rip off blue sphere. That special stage is so good they could sell it as a standalone game and people would still buy it.
>>
>>333339107
Yes. The first game is kind of glitchy, and the second is annoying with it switching between gameplay styles. They are absolutely "good" games. It's arguable of course if they are the best 3D Sonic games or not. They are my favorite 3D Sonic games. Just beat SA1 again just earlier.

SA2 is generally more polished, and has a better soundtrack though.
>>
SA2 had Rouge but I can't post any bat tats.
>>
File: 02.png (479 KB, 735x970) Image search: [Google]
02.png
479 KB, 735x970
>>333345768
Amy is definitely still a variant of Sonic, just slower. Knuckles would be a variant of Sonic if he had "get to the end" levels instead of "run around a cramped area finding emerald shards" levels.

SA2 treasure hunting would be great if hard mode was normal mode, because there was no fucking around looking for RNG shards, just a focus on puzzle platforming.
>>
I have a soft spot for SA1, but it's not a good game by any stretch. It's like the geocities of videogames or something. They had no clue how to make a Sonic game or a platformer in 3D so they tossed as much tacky shit at the wall as possible to see what stuck.
SA2's more polished I guess, but it waters down the few good parts of SA1 and doubles down on the mech and treasure hunting trash. It also makes them mandatory to unlock more Sonic stages which is some carrot on a stick shit.
>>
>>333346285
Why would fixed locations be hard mode wouldn't that just make it easier. What were they thinking
>>
>>333346285
Amy was so much fun to use though. I wish she had more levels and they weren't just running from shit. It would be fun to be able to find alternate paths with her like in the Advanced versions.
>>
File: rougherthantherestofthem.jpg (74 KB, 503x485) Image search: [Google]
rougherthantherestofthem.jpg
74 KB, 503x485
>>333345910
>They made Sonic 4 Ep 1, which was a shitty Sonic 1/2 ripoff with a ripoff of Sonic 1's Special Stages
>Episode 2 was significantly improved over Episode 1, included Tails, and the tube Special Stages
>We never got an Episode 3 which improved the formula yet again, had Knuckles as playable and included Blue Sphere
Fuck you, SEGA
>>
>>333339107

Only the sonic/shadow missions. The rest is fucking autism in super saiyan form.

HAHA JUST KIDDING IT WAS CHAO GARDEN THAT WAS THE BEST PART.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgG--74XExY
>>
>>333347257
chao garden is kinda cool.

If only they hadn't stopped it up with tons of VMU minigames.
>>
>>333339107
Nope.
>>
>>333346448
>It also makes them mandatory to unlock more Sonic stages which is some carrot on a stick shit.

this is seriously the number one reason I hate Adventure 2 and something I don't think a single sonic game with multiple playstyles has gotten right since.

Like in Adventure, you don't wanna play big right? Nothing's forcing you to do it beyond a desire to fight the final boss or be a perfectionist with scores. And while that is a factor the point is you can still play all the sonic levels without touching big once.

In Adventure 2 you gotta do a shitty tails stage, a shitty knuckles stage, and a shitty tails stage again just to reach another sonic stage, and then there's two (or more) stages of the other two characters before the next one. It just keeps killing the fun every chance it gets.

I think Unleashed is the worst in this regard but it's just yet another example, not some kind of standout problem that only it is. Hell even in Generations you have to play as both classic and modern before you can play the next stage. If someone hates how modern controls and just wants classic sonic they're SOL just as hard as daytime unleashed fans are about ignoring werehog sections.
>>
>>333346487
Well, they TRIED to tuck the shards in new, hard to reach places with a lot more traps, or a specific route. But ultimately they underestimated how big of a pain the RNG really was.
>>
>>333346487
>>333347739
Hard mode was actually harder, normal mode was just a ton more tedious.
>>
>>333347863
I would argue normal mode is harder to A rank. Having to optimize your route in hard may take a couple tries, but you never need to rely on dumb luck like you need in levels as big as the space stages, or as tediously sectioned off as the pyramids.
>>
>>333348054
Yeah, normal mode is probably a legitimate example of artificial difficulty because it's based entirely on RNG and would be piss-easy without it.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.