[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dwarf fortress
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: df.png (86 KB, 420x236) Image search: [Google]
df.png
86 KB, 420x236
Hello /v/, I need someone to explain this game (or at least the basics of this game) in the most retarded way possible for a retarded like me. I feel somehow atracted by its complexity but at the same time I feel overwelmed by it. Downloaded, installed the lazy-something pack of textures, and created a pocket-sized world, and that´s all I can do, when the game start, I don´t even know what´s about, I mean, is a game where I have to build a fortress using resources? Is an strategy game? How do I control the characters? I don´t even know how to approach it, and I really want to, because it looks fun once you have enough experience.
>>
>>333273134
Bump
>>
>>333273134
* Mark trees to cut down.
* Create carpenter's workshop, mason's workshop, kitchen
* Make beds, cook raw ingredients into biggest rations to free up barrels
* Dig out barracks close to surface and place beds there
* Dig out small room for expedition leader close to exit, put furniture like chair and other stuff in there
* Dig out a farm in soil, or start cave floor irrigation project (look up on wiki how to do it) you will need mechanic's workshop and few floodgates and levers
* Start growing food and brewing, dig out tunnels to look for useful minerals
* Build trade depot for autumn trade caravan
* Dig, make charcoal out of wood, smelt found ore, make crafts, train some soldiers, trade, install traps, survey your mountain for good stuff

That's the basics of running the fort. Just do it.
>>
>>333273134
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Quickstart_guide
Just look at this a lot to help you along, and learn from mistakes. Your forts will get better every time you die since you'll be able to plan ahead. Once you got the basics down you can move onto experimenting with more FUN things like settling above ground or in underground caves, playing with lava and death traps and such.
Your questions are so general and the game so massive that it'll be hard to answer. You start with some dwarves, some equipment, and you build a fort and try not to get killed/starve/run out of alcohol.
>>
>>333273642
And how do I do it? If I press space, the passes, so I assume I have to give my characters orders, and then let the time pass to see the results, I just don´t know how to do it and all that is just my intuition by the way.
>>
how about you just watch videos like everybody else

what is wrong with you
>>
>>333273845
I recommend watching a let's play which explains the commands
>>
>>333273797
Yeah, that´s what everybody responds to people when they ask my same questions (I read a few forums here and there before I asked here), that is difficult to respond, but that just makes me even more difficult to get into the game
>>
>>333273936
>>333273976
Do you recomend some LP in particular? How did you guys get started in this game?
>>
Find a beginners walkthrough online. There are a few that will introduce the basic concepts while also guiding you through the keyboard commands to perform them.

It helped me a lot.
>>
>>333273845
>And how do I do it?
This game is a lot like Dungeon Keeper. You mark some tiles and issue an order. Like make stockpile here, build workshop here, place bed here. And then someone assigned to that job will get to it.
>>
>>333273134
Go to the Dwarf Fortress general in >>>/vg/ I recommend playing in the object testing arena for a bit to familiarize yourself with the UI and the brutality of combat you'll encounter
>>
File: fun.jpg (18 KB, 268x263) Image search: [Google]
fun.jpg
18 KB, 268x263
>>333274003

It's not a simple game you fuckwit, read the guide and the wiki.
>>
>>333274094
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g_SaPQpKbU

Outdated version now but all the basics are there. Follow the video step by step and you'll understand the game in no time.
>>
File: future will.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
future will.png
1 MB, 1280x720
>>333274094

I mash buttons, read the menu text until I get stuck on something, at which point I read the wiki.
>>
>>333274326
thanks!
>>
>>333273134
Think The Sims. Only you have a lot of Sims and it's AO-rated.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.