[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Water levels
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: Water-Temple1.jpg (15 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
Water-Temple1.jpg
15 KB, 600x300
Why is it so hard to make good water levels?
What is the worst thing about water levels?

For me it's in 3D games when enemies can suddenly attack you from all angles.

Pic not necessarily related, just water levels in general.
>>
>That one room in DMC1 with 3 Sin Scissors.
>>
>>333243602
Because swimming always sucks in games. It's a chore.
>>
>WE MANAGED TO AVOID DROWNING
>>
>>333245036
>Because swimming always sucks in games. It's a chore.
That's not true. 3D Mario games SMG1 and onward have handled them very well, to the point where they're very fun actually.

More games need to do water levels like that.

Honestly I kinda miss water levels. The water sections in more recent games like RE: Revelations 1, TLoU, and some segments of Skyward Sword were good. I want to play the newest TR because at least that brought back swimming segments as well.

Bayonetta 2 had some water levels that were great, but then it didn't have swimming either really.
>>
Because you're forced to use a movement type that deviates from the main game mechanics and is usually poorly planned out as a result.
>>
>>333246217
This is explains the swimming sections in Devil May Cry perfectly.
>>
File: NewTDTON4.png (295 KB, 565x424) Image search: [Google]
NewTDTON4.png
295 KB, 565x424
>it's an underwater boss
>>
>>333245458
This

Slimy Spring Galaxy was one of the best stages in SMG2
>>
File: dkjb water.jpg (10 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
dkjb water.jpg
10 KB, 480x360
I actually really liked the swimming controls in DK Jungle Beat

which is weird, because you literally control the game with 2 buttons and loud noises.
>>
Short answer: water physics.

Long answer: in order to make a water level that isn't just a blue filter over the screen, there need to be different physics and possibly different controls. Often times this involves slowing down or outright replacing mechanics. This means that water levels break the stride of the game and change what drew you in in the first place.
>>
This issue is that you have to completely change the controls of the game for the sake of one small part of the game. These controls aren't as polished because they're low priority.
>>
NGB had some good ones.
>>
The better question is, why do devs insist on making underwater sections when they're such an inherently bad idea?
>>
>>333243602
Spyro 2 did water levels better than any other game in existence.
>>
File: RFrgg14412677502.gif (281 KB, 392x246) Image search: [Google]
RFrgg14412677502.gif
281 KB, 392x246
OMG SO CLOSE!
>>
La-mulana has my favorite water level in all of vidya. It had the best boss, best level design, best swimming controls, best atmosphere, best music, best everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYP7kXqL-3g
>>
>>333245128
I don't get how that line is funny. It seems appropriate:
>Drowning was a very real concern for Raiden and Emma
>Raiden was speaking formally to Colonel Campbell, his superior
>>
>>333249149
Oh Jesus I was just playing this on the Saturn. That games a bitch to control on land, I can't imagine what the under water is like
>>
>>333250045
Its funny because of how proud Raiden says it.
>>
>>333250045
It was the delivery.

it wasn't DiGiorno.
>>
Water levels tend to be some of the best ones to me.
>>
File: P3IqJeS.gif (208 KB, 1152x864) Image search: [Google]
P3IqJeS.gif
208 KB, 1152x864
I can still make it!
>>
>>333249612
Pretty much this.

Walk on deep water? Suddenly you're slow as fuck
Swim or dive? Suddenly you have a different control scheeme and often need awarenes of a new movement axis
Have to navigate water currents? Control over your character is taken away from you.
>>
>>333250285
I'm with this anon. I love a good water level, probably my most enjoyable due to the fact water levels have godly OSTs and atmosphere.
>>
>>333243602
Oxygen bars are a common flaw, they put stressful timers in a game that is not necessarily about stressful timers.
>>
>>333243602
Being a Zora is MM was pretty fun.
>>
>>333250847
It was. I wish they gave the player a bigger ocean to just swim around in. In fact, the ocean is already basically there, it just gets foggy when you go past a certain point and then it takes you back.
>>
>>333243602
Different physics, 3-dimensional movement (for you and for new water enemies) and an oxygen timer. It's almost like developing an entirely different game just for a handful of levels.
>>
>>333243602
It's a different control scheme, therefore people automatically discard it instead of embracing it.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.