[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does he work so well as an edgy character when others fail?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: Vergil.png (3 MB, 2616x3073) Image search: [Google]
Vergil.png
3 MB, 2616x3073
Why does he work so well as an edgy character when others fail? How do we make edgy characters work in vidya?
>>
>>333197027
He's not edgy, he's motivated
>>
>>333197216
>motivated
This
>>
>>333197027
Because he's not even that edgy, he's flashy as fuck and not with those typical 'muh darkness' effects
>>
>>333197027
maybe its cause everyone else is crazy
>>
because hes a character using a katana in a videogame instead of a redditor using a katana in his backyard
>>
>>333197216
>>333197340
>>333197343
He kills demons with a katana, teleports around while wearing a trench coat and is aloof as fuck. Edgy as fuck for no reason and you can't prove otherwise.
>>
>>333197616
We can't prove you otherwise because you don't know what "edgy" even means, dumbass
>>
>>333197027

He seems edgy compared to everyone else because everyone else is fucking crazy.

I'd say he's just cool, calm and collected, and he's flashy in a very clean way, while Dante is flashy in a more sloppy over the top way.

Kinda like the Dynamic that Sol Badguy and Ky Kiske have.
>>
Because he has nuance and subtext as well as being an edgelord. He has a clear motivation why he does what he does. Furthermore he can be just as much as a wisecracking fuckface as Dante, he's not full edge all the time.
>>
>>333197027
Because Dante's personality is the polar opposite of edgy.
>>
>>333197937
>Furthermore he can be just as much as a wisecracking fuckface as Dante, he's not full edge all the time.

this.
>remember what we used to say
>cracks a smile
>JACKPOT
>>
>>333197616
He isn't aloof at all what the fuck are you talking about?

Everywhere he goes is with a lighting focus. Every fight he gets into is 100% serious time. He doesn't fuck around going PSSH NOTHIN PERSONAL KID he just fucks shit up. That's not edgy.

Edgy is when a character cares a whole bunch about making sure everyone knows he doesn't care. Like Donte. He spends the whole game telling everyone that he's so cool because he doesn't care. Dmc3 Virgil actually doesn't give a fuck.
>>
>>333199064
This. Edgy characters make very precise, deliberate motions to impress you.
Vergil does it because he's trying to perfect his fighting style.
>>
>>333197027
You either need to go full on MAXIMUM edge or none at all. There is no middle ground here.
>>
>>333197027
His reason for being 'edgy' is actually reasonable and he doesn't spend time brooding or being over dramatic about situations. Sure he opens a portal to the demon world and causes all that shit but it's just a means to an end. It doesn't feel like he's trying to prove anything to anyone or throw out long explenations for why he's doing it (Vergil just saying "That's not what I'm here for" in the library cutscene to arkham). He does what he does for him and just him.
>>
scum
>>
>>333202284
But Donte and Virgin were edgier and they didn't work at all.
>>
File: vergil.webm (3 MB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
vergil.webm
3 MB, 1024x576
>>333197027

He's not edgy, he just saw he poor old mother get killed by demons as a child, so it made him obsessed with being strong enough to make sure that never happened to himself (or anyone he likes I guess).

I like his reaction to seeing Trish in UMvC3, because she looks just like his dead mother, seeing as how Trish was made by Mundus in her image. He doesn't like that at all.
>>
>>333206838
If you go MAXIMUM edge it has to be for comedic effect. They seriously thought they were being the coolest ever when they made donte.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.