[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was Uncharted a genre-defining epic that revolutionized adventure
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
File: 2589180-drake.jpg (162 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
2589180-drake.jpg
162 KB, 1280x720
Was Uncharted a genre-defining epic that revolutionized adventure storytelling?
>>
>>333167251
No but it's fun

you could probably make that argument for the last of us though
>>
>Dude Raider: More Guns Edition
>genre-defining
>>
>>333167251
No. It's generic as fuck.
>>
nah it just did what it did well
>>
>genre defining
>most basic third person cover shooter
>exagerated amount of scripted events
>doesn't have great melee combat system
>has the same story three times in a row
>those monsters that don't even make sense to be in its universe
>cliché love story between nathan and elena (and what we've seen from the u4 story trailer, it looks like they're breaking up again and then getting back together in the end. This happened so much)

Sully is the best thing that's happened to the series. You can't hate the womanizer joking old man. And goddamn was he sexy when he was young
>>
>>333167251

It defined quite a boring, generic era if that's the case.
>>
>>333167251
>>333167647
This.
I rate games by fun factor.
U1 7/10
U2 10/10
U3 8/10
U GA 7.5/10
tLoU 10/10

Can't wait for U4 and tLoU2
Jak 4 never ever
>>
>>333167251
Prince of Persia was, but Uncharted's still good.
>>
>>333168617
>basic
>able to shoot and throw nades while hanging
>animations are acrobatic as fuck
Okay
>>
>>333167251
Nobody cares about uncharted stop making constant threads for a game nobody will buy except game reviewers.
>>
>>333170583
I care
>>
>>333167251
>Shilling this crap again.

Can't wait so this piece of shit gets released and everyone realizes it's shit so we can summarily stop talking about that shit already.
>>
>>333170735
You're all gonna call it shit all you want while it wins GOTY across the board.
>>
>>333170291
>i'm gonna talk about a moment of the game that happens for 2 minutes and not talk about the entire gameplay experience
>and then i'm gonna win the argument
>>
It was the game that re-defined the concept of rehash.

It's the exact same game in all the sequels.
>>
>>333170735
You mad cunt, chill
>>
>>333170875
Giantbomb probably won't give it GOTY, and they're the only awards that matter.
>>
Uncharted is a movie with shooting galleries between scenes.
>>
>>333170906
>animations are acrobatic as fuck throughout the entire game
>>
>>333171050
>the only awards that matter are the ones I say matter
It doesn't work that way pal.
>>
>>333171008
Let me ask you an honest question? What do you expect from a sequel? Do you expect a different game? That would be a new IP. A sequel is supposed to be the same thing but bigger and better. That's what the Uncharted sequels were, that's what the Halo sequels were, that's what the Super Mario Galaxy sequel was. Even if a game only has one release per gen (like Half Life) there's a significant technological leap but at it's core it's still the same gameplay, just vastly improved.
>>
>>333167251
Not really.

It's shit. Okay maybe not shit, but it certainly wasn't that good of a game nor did it revolutionize storytelling.

>>333168617
I agree with most of this.

Regarding the story of the franchise, (well I've only played the first two games), they're maybe only a little better-written than your average video game. Even then it's susceptible to common issues when video games try to take themselves a little more seriously. Like for one thing, Nathan Drake is supposed to be your average, decent, if greedy, but empathetic good guy right? And yet these games have you killing dudes by the hundreds. Sure they DO want you dead and they are definitely the bad guys, but it's a little troubling how Nathan never has so many issues killing so many people. Even the Indiana Jones movies, which the Uncharted series basically models itself after, don't really have a killcount that high for the main character.

Otherwise, it's narrative is just 'okay'. I might agree that they even otherwise nailed the atmosphere of the sort of pulpy adventure thing that Indiana Jones popularized. But the narratives are bland and predictable, and the games do nothing new or interesting with the medium.

That's all without going into its shallow gameplay.

They're mindless, somewhat enjoyable video games, akin to a mindless summer action blockbuster.
>>
>>333172041
>Even the Indiana Jones movies, which the Uncharted series basically models itself after, don't really have a killcount that high for the main character.
>Indiana Jones movies
>movies
I don't know if you're aware of this but there's a difference between a movie and a video game that needs to rely on a combat mechanic for gameplay.
>>
>>333172401
>needs to rely on a combat mechanic for gameplay
No it doesn't. Look back at Prince of Persia, specifically the mid 00s ones. These games were 3/4th acrobatics and 1/4th combat, and it worked.
>>
>>333167251
>Genre defining
It's a cross between Tomb Raider and Gears of War. It cannot do either very well.
>>
>>333172401
>I don't know if you're aware of this but there's a difference between a movie and a video game that needs to rely on a combat mechanic for gameplay.
What I meant was that Uncharted clearly wanted to be Indiana Jones, but as a video game, at least thematically. It's plot-wise, it's basically Indiana Jones, but in the present day.
>>
>>333172684
I just played through the sands of time trilogy recently and there was a lot of combat in those, plenty of platforming too but you're exaggerating.
>>
>>333172868
This is true.
>>
bump

Not letting my long-winded post go to waste.
>>
>>333172770
THIS to be honest family senpai.
Uncharted is The Force Awakens and Batman vs. Superman of video games. It's a shitshow spectacle.
>>
nothing about naughty dogs UC games or TLOU redefining, innovating or inventive in any way.

They are just really really polished products based on what a marketing team has deemed in demand from modern gamers.
>>
>>333169198
>having fun
>with tlou

how? it's a grimdark moviegame that takes itself way too serious
>>
File: 1395705195764.gif (1 MB, 214x124) Image search: [Google]
1395705195764.gif
1 MB, 214x124
>>333171050
>Giantbomb
>the only awards that matter
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.