[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://playstarbound.com/final-appr oach-to-1-0/ So Starbou
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 21
File: sb_logo_8.png (48 KB, 468x160) Image search: [Google]
sb_logo_8.png
48 KB, 468x160
http://playstarbound.com/final-approach-to-1-0/

So Starbound is about to leave Early Access.

Too early? Took too long? Is it still shit, or did you manage to have fun with it? Do you feel like getting it if you haven't, or refunding if you did?

Discuss.
>>
Starbound (And Chucklefish, respectively) already dragged its name into the mud for a few quick bucks.

It's way too late now.
>>
I stopped playing when they started wiping stuff in updates, thinking "I'll just wait for the final instead".

That was 27 years ago...
>>
more like too late
>>
>>333136657
My friend bought it for me for Christmas a couple years back, but I haven't touched it because I was waiting for it to leave Early Access. Is it as shit as everyone says?
>>
>>333137087
>Starbound (And Chucklefish, respectively) already dragged its name into the mud for a few quick bucks.
I don't pay attention to drama that much, what happened?
>>
>>333137340
Yes
>>
File: chucklefuck.gif (1 MB, 953x370) Image search: [Google]
chucklefuck.gif
1 MB, 953x370
>>333136657

>So Starbound is about to leave Early Access.
>>
>>333136657
They are still missing over half of the originally promised features because it was "too hard to do". Chucklefish...more like Chucklefucks
>>
>>333137373
I have a folder of 295 pictures, all highlighting the bullshit they've done. Where should I upload it?
>>
>>333137602
damn, beat me to the joke!
>>
>>333137638
Any list or pastebin or whatever where the broken promises are kept? I'll need it to spread it around on release.

>>333137681
mega.nz or mediafire.com
>>
>>333137681
imgur/google drive i guess? or just give me the quick rundown
>>
>>333136657
Hahahaha holy shit they're actually finally releasing the game. I wonder what stage they've gotten to that they feel like it's a complete game now, because when I first played it, it was an absolute broken clusterfuck which didn't even have the proper main progression in place yet and other shit. I played it again later on when it had that in place, and the entire thing felt fucking empty. Crafting progression was just going up in numbers through tiered gear, occasionally unlocking something which was a gimmick, or "you can now go to lava planets" shit. Boss fights to get to the next tier? It felt like they were trying to make it an action game, because there was fucking NOTHING to do except progress. Which wasn't even fun to do, unlike Terraria, which actually made it interesting thanks to being a good game. The sandbox elements were a joke, lackluster as fuck, and provided no sort of incentive or any reason to want to actually build up a nice base except to have a nice thing to look at for no reason. That was a while ago, though.

Based on their history with this game, it's probably going to be not as bad, but still fucking mediocre as shit. If they have somehow actually gotten their shit together, and the game actually has fun, long-term goals and a galaxy that actually provides some sort of incentive to explore, that'd be great. None of this 'go to a planet, walk either right or left killing boring randomly generated enemies with no character until you find one of the prefab buildings which has some more boring enemies a bunch of furniture and some loot probably. Fuck me, the ultimate downfall is their over-reliance on randomly generated shit. Spoiler alert, if EVERYTHING is randomly generated it becomes fucking meaningless.

But hey, at least there's no way I could possibly be disappointed with this release, because my expectations are fucking bottom of the Mariana Trench low.
>>
File: meanwhile at chucklefish.png (523 KB, 609x1008) Image search: [Google]
meanwhile at chucklefish.png
523 KB, 609x1008
>>333136657

>giving these fucks money, ever
>>
>>333136657
I actually like Starbound. It's not great, but I played with friends a lot and we had plenty of fun exploring together. I feel like I definitely got my $15 out of it. Some of the recent updates have added some cool features, too.
>>
>>333138058
>Women_devs.png
>>
I tried playing this piece of shit back when the newest update came out last year and it lagged like hell.
Is the optimization terrible for anyone else? I can barely manage 15 frames in some areas with a GTX 780.
>>
File: header.jpg (57 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
57 KB, 460x215
It's too bad they already have their next autist milking ""game"" in place :^)
>>
>>333138058
Chucklefish has done a lot of shit wrong, but claiming that taking a dumb picture at the office is some sort of unforgivable fuck up is just grasping at straws.

If anything spreading this sort of petty shit around only detracts from actual criticism directed at their incompetence.
>>
>>333138058
>women

no wonder it's taking fucking forever, women are inefficient as fuck when things need to get done

at least the bitch knows where she belongs and that's in the fucking trash
>>
>>333138058
>>333138170
>Complaining about a CM doing stupid shit
that's literally their job, she isn't an engineer, her job is just to post on reddit/facebook/twitter/forums
>>
I don't really care. the game not only ran like shit when I played it, but it was so bad it actually got red to resume development on terraria after he lied and tried to pawn off the shit to the starbound team, so I have chucklefucks to thank for that.
>>
>>333138252
Are you saying her job is to act stupid for the forum plebs? Why the fuck would anyone pay a salary for that shit? fml
>>
>>333138192
Supposedly the optimization will be one of the focuses in the latest update, but who can really tell. I'm pretty sure the Space Station will still be laggy as shit.
>>
File: chortling Cruise.jpg (87 KB, 467x333) Image search: [Google]
chortling Cruise.jpg
87 KB, 467x333
>>333136657
>Took them 3 years just to get out of EA
>>
>almost released
>in those notes is more changes to basic game mechanics like hunger and shit

they've redone every aspect of the game three times now. I'm not optimistic
>>
>>333137767
QFT
>>
>>333138360
Yes, every major game company has them, they are there to "interact with the community", it's a worthless position, but they're paid pretty badly at least (40k usd for a mid on the west coast, vs ~90k for an engineer)
They exist to give a face to the game team for the public, they have no actual influence on anything
>>
>>333137767
I will be honest though, I've now read their latest post about 1.0 and it sounds like they're trying to, or acting like they are fixing some of the biggest issues with the game. Now, I wanted this game to bed good, and I still do. It would be great if we look back on Starbound and we can say, "Wow, that game and its development team were pretty fucking shit at first, but after an unacceptably long amount of time slowly trying new things and irreversibly causing hundreds of thousands of people to lose their faith in humanity, it actually turned out to be pretty fun." I like to experience new things.
>>
>>333138545
Fuck, if only I was a woman. Sounds like an easy as fuck job, and I wouldn't mind staying minimalist.
>>
Wait... You can still refund it? I haven't played in months.
>>
File: dc_amazon_stare.jpg (310 KB, 807x861) Image search: [Google]
dc_amazon_stare.jpg
310 KB, 807x861
>>333138252

Community Managers job is to effectively craft public perception by selectively feeding information and manipulating the narrative. Their job is to make the company and the product they're selling look good.

What she did was make the entire company look like incompetent layabouts who were wasting the customers money. The finished product only reinforced that.

Perception is reality.
>>
Played 120+ hours early on, enjoyed the mods, but frequent wipes did my enthusiasm in and I stopped playing. I got my early funbux worth, but I have no desire to play further.
>>
File: dude no.gif (2 MB, 236x224) Image search: [Google]
dude no.gif
2 MB, 236x224
>>333136657
>"Leaving Early Access doesn’t mean the end of updates for Starbound by any means, instead it will mark a shift away from engine work and towards additional content creation."

YOU'VE BEEN ADDING USELESS SHIT TO THE GAME FOR MORE THAN 2 YEARS.

Like what the fuck man, why would youa dd so many comsetics or instruments when you didn't even have a proper game progression.
Fuck these guys are the worse devolopers I know. In the time they made one game wanderlust devs and Hopooo made TWO fucking games, each of them more enjoyable than this.
>>
too late
>>
>>333138690
There's a couple male CMs, it's rare though, it's also is one of the few positions that actually hire english majors. They also write up patch notes and shit for the dev team, deal with publications and third party news, and analytics for the dev team

>>333138821
She was most likely trying to give the studio a 'down to earth' perspective, which is arguably better than what biocuck did with their community and stanley woo and his line (He was some random QA retard who apparently was allowed to represent the company on forums)
>>
>>333139278
>down to earth perspective
>wearing a fucking trash can

what earth do you live on?
>>
>>333139002
poohop is bad at making games
>>
File: ojkwss9l.jpg (30 KB, 190x327) Image search: [Google]
ojkwss9l.jpg
30 KB, 190x327
ITT: the game that I got tired of before it even came out...

didn't read, won't read... just ignore the passerby (me)

honestly I just search "v" to get to /b/
>>
File: genie what.png (528 KB, 830x430) Image search: [Google]
genie what.png
528 KB, 830x430
>>333139387
He should stop using gamemaker and learn better coding, yeah, but both Risk of Rain and Deadbolt are enjoyable games and he never tried to sound like a big faggot.

Hell, even when he couldn't reach one of the RoR kickstarter goals (arena mode, he said it didn't work as planned) decidedto add 2 mroe characters and several items for free as a reward.
He's just a kid, he has like 21yo or something, but at least he sells his games at low price and with frequent sales.
>>
File: 1458640509931.jpg (35 KB, 200x251) Image search: [Google]
1458640509931.jpg
35 KB, 200x251
>>333139380
Nigger, do you understand the concept of goofing off for a picture in front of friends?
>>
>>333139278

>She was most likely trying to give the studio a 'down to earth' perspective

Customers don't want down to earth. Customers want motherfuckers swinging pickaxes in a coal mine. Customers want sweating construction workers pounding rivets into high steel. They want to know shit is being made, that it is being built, and that it is coming soon.

They don't want to see a 50k a year employee screwing around in a trash can trying to be cute.
>>
>>333139749
except it wasn't just for friends, but was shown to their forum. Her job is to be a face for the company, which is currently representing chucklefucks rather than chucklefish, especially considering how long thy have been taking to finally release this game. They have been dragging their asses for years and pictures like that do not help their image one bit.
>>
File: skwark.png (436 B, 129x129) Image search: [Google]
skwark.png
436 B, 129x129
The hype train was strong
The dev team was fucking awful
It's a shame, really
>>
>>333139791
this
>>
File: 1435197019839.gif (2 MB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
1435197019839.gif
2 MB, 360x270
>nearly three years after it was supposed to originally release
>>
>>333138231
The point is they were posting plenty of dumb shit like this instead of working on their mess of a game which by that point was missing loads of promised features and was about a year past their promised release date.
>>
Even after 3 YEARS I still can't imagine that this game will be
-Fully Finished
-Have all the Stretch Goals or whatever
-Be very good

The story and pacing will probably be shit
>>
>>333140275
relax, he probably isn't old enough to understand the concept of hard work, responsibility, and a dignified image yet.
>>
>>333140159
kek
>>
When this game hit Steam, Terraria was still pre-Frost Moon. There were no visible accessories, upside-down slopes, nameable chests, minecarts, or fishing.
>>
>>333141295
wow, chucklefucks indeed...
>>
>>333141295
I wonder how often Tiy looks at Terraria and sobs, thinking to himself "I can't do any of this, my game will never be good, I'm a fucking failure"
>>
>>333141827
Every morning when he enters the office, and every night when he tries to get to sleep.
>>
>>333141827
I just don't understand how Starbound has stagnated so much. Their engine must be really unstable still.
>>
>>333142035
They literally only have 1 programmer. They prioritized all their artists over the programmer. That is why if anything got added in a nightly update, it was stupid simple shit like beach balls and paper planes.

They outright stated programmers are not important in game development and it shows.
>>
>>333142172
>stated programmers are not important
As an artist (who knows programming) working with two small dev teams this is hilarious!
>>
I think I have a screenshot somewhere white "Planed release 2013", shall try to dig it out
>>
>>333142423
yes pls
>>
>>333142423
aww yeah. Chucklefuck hate thread!
>>
>>333143373
>Chucklefuck

Feels very fitting for them
>>
>those people who complained about one of the creature's deaths sounds sounding like a dying dog

fucking pussies
>>
since there's literally no one answering ops question in this thread. I bought this game years ago, long before it was playable. I wanted to support the devs and I wanted to play it.

I'm going to use Terraria as a comparison.
The combat is significantly better. It's actually fun to engage in combat, and there's plenty of it. The weapons and gear you can find are awesome and unique, and there's endless quantities to explore and access.

last I played, the races didn't have any differences among them other than aesthetics, though the "promised features" are seemingly awesome, but I haven't played it in a while.

I love the idea of being a space pirate and raiding looting the locals of all planets and so forth.

However, there is one glaring flaw for me. There's little reason to set up a home base/planet. Planets are set by a certain difficulty/level as you explore space, and setting up a home base takes more and more resources to get back to, with no real reason to go back to any other planet.
>>
File: 1449827423904.jpg (27 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1449827423904.jpg
27 KB, 500x375
>yfw you bought starbound
>>
File: 1456293687591.png (202 KB, 365x363) Image search: [Google]
1456293687591.png
202 KB, 365x363
>>333145607
>>
File: 1458264513893.jpg (80 KB, 576x972) Image search: [Google]
1458264513893.jpg
80 KB, 576x972
is it finally playable
>>
>>333145982
IT is, but I feel like it's not enough. No matter how good the game is the fuck ups the devs made are enought to make me unable to enjoy the game.
>>
>>333138231
It's literally unforgivable when you late on all your release dates and promises.
>>
>>333136657
>Too early?

Yes

>Took too long?

Yes
>>
>>333145982
Progress is still fucked, they nerfed stuff like airdashes/dashes in general, bosses still feel like shit. The game is comfy, but that's all it has going for it. This game is an example, a PERFECT example of what happens when hipster faggot artists make a game, and hire no writers, content planners, proper designers, understaff coders, and focus entirely on making clothing and furniture no one really cares about.
>>
>>333145982
Yes, but it is boring, terraria felt like a sandbox game with progression, this is just a sandbox game, that's it. No sense of progression, recolors everywhere, no change of what you do from the first hours to the next 50 hours.
>>
>>333136657
Just as expected, I was burned out on everything Starbound very early on because of Early Access. Had they waited until now to just release a proper, full version, I might've actually liked this game. Whenever I play it now, it just feels horrible, and with each new update it just feels horrible with some small, barely attached additions stapled to it.
>>
>>333138234
No wonder people have the misconception that the videogame crowd is misogynistic when there are people like you who think they are the biggest jokers making posts like that. You are not helping anyone, while not even managing to be funny in the process.
>>
funny thing too because (0% of the team is about to quit working for chucklefish.

their contracts expired and tiy is making them sign new contracts with no percentage of sales cash for a regular jack off wage instead.

go tiy
>>
>>333138231
>Ask millions to a publisher to release a game.
>Take 3 more years to have anything done.
>While taking pictures about how you do anything but work.

This is one of the many problems with kikestarter, they don't know what a real job is, giving money before working.
>>
>>333147884
source?
>>
>>333147884
I meant 90%

>>333147987
I talked to some of them. Can't prove anything because they're probably under NDA. If you see some of them vanish very shortly you'll know why.

Plus tiy forces anyone who works for him to relocate to the UK as well.

Hell they already axed omni. He was a shit prog anyways though.
>>
>>333138227
publisher < - > developer
>>
File: 1427709605247.jpg (131 KB, 950x534) Image search: [Google]
1427709605247.jpg
131 KB, 950x534
>backed the game before they hit 1mil mark because it looked LIKE TERRARIA, BUT BIGGER, BETTER AND IN SPACE
>talked my co-op buddy into getting it when EA came out because LIKE TERRARIA, BUT BIGGER, BETTER AND IN SPACE, and we loved Terraria
>start the game
>comfy as fuck
>characters look cute
>after couple hours realize that there's nothing to do
>combat is ass
>building feels like shit
>disappointed as fuck

>give it a second chance after they added laggy as fuck hub and mission dungeons
>tutorial forces you to make trips to hub and back 3 times in a row
>building is still boring
>weapon crafting and exploring is still useless becuase you can just warp on some hard planet and loot surface chests for OP weapons
>biomes still do nothing
>bosses are laggy as hell and hitboxes are not synced with visuals at all
>disappointed again

Backing Cortex Command and Starbound were my biggest mistakes this decade. I still feel dirty for making my friend get the game.
>>
>>333138227
They only "published" that game. Which means they only get 10% of the overall sells. The actual dev gets the rest.

Their publishing deals are the biggest scams they've ever pulled besides lying about Starbound itself.

They trick young indie devs that tend to have just a few people working on it into signing their contracts. After that the most they do is slap their name on it and Tiy tweets about it full time. They offer no support other than that,

Mostly because they can't even do their own jobs let alone that plus trying to code someone else's project.
>>
>>333136657
The problem with Starbound is that it didn't go into Early Access, it almost entirely was Early Access. With Early Access games, people expect a product in its late beta. Simple bug fixes, a content patch, and bing bang boom, done.

Starbound on the other hand, had all of its development splayed out in front of everyone. This meant that every time a feature was implemented as a skeleton to be built on or if something was removed to get fixed for later, people thought they were being gipped on the final product.

Should Starbound have gotten as much crap as it did as an Early Access title? No. The game went through a decent dev cycle of only 2.5 years with an indie team, they're about to deliver the product they promised, and it wasn't really anything out of the ordinary development-wise.

But should anyone have bought it as an Early Access? Definitely not. Starbound serves as a cautionary tale of the relationship between consumers and Early Access titles. Ones that are truly in the state of Early Access will be far from finished for a while, and content changes can range from infuriatingly drastic to frustratingly minuscule, despite being normal development processes.

Personally, I had fun with Starbound after someone gifted it to me. It was an enjoyable experience and I'm glad to see that hard hitting poorly done areas like item progression and genericness born from random generation being worked out into something more like the promised product. I hope that once 1.0 is pushed out, people can put the past behind and look at the product they ended up paying for, and that maybe one day we'll get a Starbound General that isn't just lamenting over buying an Early Access game, but I wholly understand that there will be lasting gripes from people who expected a nearly finished beta instead of something that was barely out of alpha.
>>
>>333139278
She literally fucked Chucklefish's owner to get her job, How down to Earth is that?
>>
>>333141827
Never. Tiy compares himself to Notch. He's that good, He's a glorified idea guy that even Red hates.
>>
>>333149689
Sounds normal to me.
>>
It's garbage.
>>
>>333149689
is there proof or porn of this?
>>
File: tumblr_o00ju3CqkF1r5fl08o1_500.jpg (60 KB, 405x424) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o00ju3CqkF1r5fl08o1_500.jpg
60 KB, 405x424
>>333138398
THREE FUCKING YEARS IT'S BEEN THREE FUCKING YEARS ALREADY
>>
I like starbound
>>
>>333151081
i'm sorry
>>
File: confused nigga.gif (1 MB, 268x274) Image search: [Google]
confused nigga.gif
1 MB, 268x274
>>333151081
It's not bad, honestly. It's mostly hate against Chucklefish rather than the game in it's current state
>>
>>333151081
so are you a liar or a furry that used it as an erp chatroom
>>
>>333151212
it's comfy

>>333151241
I guess so
>>
>>333151290
Neither, its just comfy
>>
>>333137638
Cucklefish
>>
Surprised no one has the balls to start up a class action lawsuit against this shit.

Set a precedent.
>>
File: starbound_general3.png (95 KB, 979x600) Image search: [Google]
starbound_general3.png
95 KB, 979x600
>>333142423
I'm not you, obviously. But I did save the FAQ at various times.
>>
File: pls.jpg (53 KB, 355x355) Image search: [Google]
pls.jpg
53 KB, 355x355
>starbound was first shown 9 years ago
>>
I had some fun with Starbound on a server. It's not Terraria, nor will it ever come close, but it can still be fun if you play it with friends.
>>
File: 1458948963529.jpg (35 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1458948963529.jpg
35 KB, 600x450
>>333152223
Terraria didn't even exist 9 years ago, and Starbound didn't become a thing until after Terraria was released.
>>
I have fucking enough of the chucklefucks shilling in here.
It's so obvious.
>>
>>333153469
>everyone is shitting on it
How do you even figure this is shilling?
>>
>>333153570
Because chucklefucks are stupid as fuck, and it backfired.
It's been a month now they've spammed /v/ with stardew valley, and they're spamming about "muh 1.0". It's like the 5th thread I have seen since yesterday.
>>
So when is the release?
>>
>>333153647
>Stardew Valley
>Only Harvest moon like game on the PC
>Sold like hotcakes
>Anybody talking about it must be shills
>>
>>333153656
soon ;)
>>
>>333153647
maybe because we all fell for the meme and want to discuss about it?
>/v/ - not video games
>>
I only bought it because of the nude mods, now that they are constantly not working because of retarded version schemes i am not interested anymore.
>>
>>333153647
Except maybe it was because Stardew Valley is actually a nice (albeit flawed) COMPLETE game that one guy made on his own and outdid the whole Cucklefuck studio who just happen to be the publishers because the Stardew dev didn't know better I guess
>>
>>333151382
Have to agree. Must be the humming engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DydIK14AvXI
Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.